Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

Lot to unpack here. Big thanks to those who have shared details on how things worked, including posting some of the questions. Its obvious they are not going to use same set of questions, and any other info given is useful when answering questions here.

17 hours ago, Drguildo said:

Would it be against the TOS to plug that im willing to sell a 3060 at retail price?

Yes. It would need to be done via Classifieds and within guidelines there.

15 hours ago, ShatGamer80 said:

Where do i sign up...I saw the video with his link description, but the part after /3080 is what I'm trying to figure out...Any help here?

15 hours ago, Mainz said:

Sorry guys, just wanted to ask where did it go up? I had notifications on youtube and everything. Did it happen in the WANshow live stream??? 

Already gone when you posted. The current drops are done with LTT videos which are posted in roughtly same time every day. Any additional info, like whether timing or channel will change, will be in WAN. Also this thread has very informative posts.

15 hours ago, Ar558a said:

how long did it take for them to sell out? 60s?

According to @Slick, some 20min.

15 hours ago, StandardBrowser said:

When that did not happen, I was anticipating something to drop during the next WAN Show, so you might be able to guess how frustrated I am right now.

Thats all on you. The information given in WAN Show was very clear.

After watching this video I realized, that the V.A.G. / G.G. will likely never work for me, or for most gamers watching your channel. Also I was extremely disappointed in the way this was done. You were dropping hints about a fair chance to buy hardware at MSRP for three weeks and all you can come up with is this measly scavenger hunt?! Really?? The price might be fair but the chances aren't any better than any other shop out there when and if they get inventory.

Your interpretation on term "fair" is odd. The way this was conducted is still fair to humans. There are no "fair" things where everyone would have absolute same chance. Or rather, its called retailer. You go in, grab what you want and pay at checkout. Thats fair, right? The goal here wasn't to give every person in the world equal opportunity, but to give it to those with dedication.

Perhaps my expectations were to high but nonetheless, now that I've got this out of my system, I have a suggestion for another way to go about this:

1. Let interested gamers put the hardware they want into the shopping cart on LTTStore in form of "out of stock items"
  2. Have gamers link and verify a game launcher account that allows for checking gaming activity (Steam etc.) to their LTTStore account - automating this should be doable
  3. Limit "orders" to one order (CPU and/or GPU) per game launcher account + address + payment method
  4. When you get inventory, pick from those orders at random
    1. If an order contains 1 CPU and 1 GPU and/or more than one variant of CPU and/or GPU it will be fulfilled at random with at least 1 item that fits one of the choices
  5. Verify the linked game launcher account is active - this might not be easy to automate but with quantities around 100 or so items it should be doable manually
  6. Fill the shopping cart and notify the gamers of a buying window of 48 hours (maybe give the option to pass)
  7. Draw new buyers for expired/passed buying windows if needed
  8. Fulfilled orders are removed everyone else stays in for the next drop - partly fulfilled orders stay in for another chance to buy the remaining part of the CPU and GPU combo
  9. repeat 4 to 8 as long and often as you see fit

I hope this makes sense and is at least considered as a mode of operation going forward.

Picking some points here. Pretty sure they are already doing #3. #4 would be lottery and require permit, and also not be available to everyone. There's difference in luck and skill based competitions. And I don't see how other points there would make this any more fair.

15 hours ago, FriedEngineer said:

The only real complaint I can see is that the verification questions were somewhat biased to people who were into some of the more classic video game lore, not just people who game a lot. They were fun but specific enough that if you had to google it you probably missed out.

There are gonna be more. And I'm sure its taken into account that not all gamers are interested to learn history of their hobby. Would quiz about gaming events for past 2 years be fair to those who only play by themselves, not watching YT or Twitch? No, there are no ways to make quiz hard for bots and non-gamers, and at the same time easy for gamers. This was nice middleground. I, as semi-active gamer who has read a lot magazines, watched documentaries while not played the games could answer to most.

13 hours ago, Thrasher8712 said:

Hi, I’ve been sifting through trying to figure out how this works? Can’t seem to figure it out. I’m a real gamer trying to get my hands on a 3000 series currently rocking a 2060 super and would like my FPS to jump up with a new card but unfortunately can’t find one and don’t have $1500 to spend on one from a scalper.

12 hours ago, shinegull said:

well i missed out entirely. when is the next one coming around?

also, im kinda lost on how to actually get one. cant seem to find a link anywhere

12 hours ago, ShatGamer80 said:

I know i'm opening myself up to get trolled but is there a registration to get into the verified actual gamer program or is it just knowing it's a thing and watching the vids for the link? lol

This drop apparently had link said in the video posted today. The link would have had quiz after which you could buy card from LTTStore.com. The page for that has been taken down for now, and will be available with different url when next drop happens.

3 hours ago, rockofages8 said:

-What was the hour of publication of the annoucement converted to CET time ?

Around 6-7PM.

3 hours ago, rockofages8 said:

-Bonus Question Why have'nt I see the annoucement of VAG in the video were it was originally posted did they cut it after stock was gone (watch it something like 6PM CET yesterday)

Apparently it was switched with another video. Or the part was cut out by YTs own tools.

2 hours ago, Rauten said:

Hm; isn't this kind of unfair for people that live in other areas of the world?

Making it all depend on a link in the video and then be a first come/first served system pretty much ensures that only people that are watching the videos as soon as they release would even have a chance. What of the people that are at work or asleep, be it because they work shifts or live somewhere else in the world?

Just feels kind of half-assed, to be honest...

The unfairness depends on perspective. You would still have to pay tax+import+shipping outside of Canada. And most of LMGs audience is North American (about 50%). So overall, it is rather fair for anyone who has dedication. It would be unfair if they didn't tell about it before, or required something obscene. But this was very clearly informed about weeks ago. Telling where the info would be published. They didn't disclose what kind of measurements were placed for rooting out bots, but that was expected. There's no point having security in place if you tell everyone what kind of security it is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Good on LTT for trying to do a little something to at least give gamers a chance to pick up some hardware. The process will never be perfect when demand so far outstrips supply. For my part, I'm sitting over here in the UK having essentially sold my soul for a chance at a 2060, so my current levels of shame run deep. My only personal request would be for this to serve as the new "no stock remaining" messaging graphic:

image.png.f442c1f2cd2b3c792269912b93952150.png

🤣 Thanks LTT!

3 hours ago, Rauten said:

Oh, I know it's entirely impossible to be fair to absolutely everyone, but this first come first served system seems just way too eschewed in favour of the American audience. I also understand that it's impossible to manually check every single quiz or order. 

Off the top of my head (but with no effin' clue as to how complicated that'd be to set up, honestly) I'd have the quiz, force the user to tie their inscription to a youtube account that is older than say, a month? (to prevent people botting it up to have a million entries) and then a lottery.

I demand, DEMAND, that all the cards that would go to Mac users be instead sent to me.

How does having a Youtube account qualify you as a gamer? What if I watch Youtube without having an account, because of valid privacy concerns or I don't want their algorithm to recommend me random bs? I know a bunch of people who watch YT only in Incognito mode. The only thing you actually need an account for is if you want to upload your own content or... godforbid... comment on a YT video!

My point is: There is no perfect solution, that is 100% fair to everyone! The solution they chose was reasonable and appropriate, given the fact that we're only talking about a few hundred products in total.

19 hours ago, FriedEngineer said:

I was only able to get 13 of the 15, but this should give you an idea: https://imgur.com/a/aLmLgLt

The order of the questions changed but I think the questions themselves were the same. If you answered one incorrectly you lost a heart and got to try that question again (and you could lose another heart). When you lost all your hearts (3) you had to start over, with the questions re-randomized.

I don't know half these, yet I'm a real gamer.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 3/7/2021 at 8:30 AM, Heliian said:

USA tax law and Canadian tax law are quite different.  In most of the usa, you only have to charge tax for sales within that state.  However, anything crossing the border will be hit with customs fees and tax. 

its a 5050 you may be hit or you may not. im guessing everything dosent get cheeked dose not get charged. and what dose get cheeked gets charged. its up to the seller to add a fee for the border. if there was no fee and you get charged and didn't pay up front the cost could be double and it can take longer to posses across the border. 

on ebay i got a switch from the usa and i payed the $30 border fee but the guy was stupid and didn't pay it when he shipped it so it took like a month an an half to get and the fee was $60. that was an nightmare.... anyway i got the switch got my money back for the switch and got the $60 fee back in the end.

the seller said he didnt want to sell out said the usa but the app set it up too. that what his reason was...and there phone app mess up out side buyers shipping information.

dam taxes and there a sugar tax coming... and the bottle fee is .13 and you only get .05 back...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

So this is a question that I'm pretty sure only @LinusTech & his team can answer, and hopefully it's something they can address.

I'm planning to opt for the VAG Program when it comes out and hopefully get myself a 3080, building my first PC after staying on Laptops for an eternity. But I'm going to be purchasing the card from out of NA, South Asia to be exact. 

My question is that, when this program comes out, what will be the system of purchasing? I'm not asking how I will be eligible and the whole criteria, that can remain and will remain a secret I assume till it actually comes out. I'm more interested in knowing if I have to be ready with a credit card in my hand and purchase the card ASAP? As the problem is, I have my bank account here in my own currency, but my father has a USD account as well with which he usually does purchases abroad. I will most probably have to get it purchased through his card but I haven't even talked to him about it - let alone figure out where I'm going to have to get it shipped to, probably a relative in Canada.

I was hoping that the program doesn't straight out ask for a means of payment but first checks the eligibility of the 'Gamer' and secures your spot beforehand so after all that you can easily purchase the card and figure out the technicalities. So it's less of a first-come-first-serve basis on the payment front, even if it's the case for being eligible for the VAG. So if I do secure a spot and am eligible, I have a fair amount of time to figure out the payment method and shipping.

This question has kept me awake at night, would badly love an answer! 😅
Thank you!

OG Tier Floatplane member here watching the video a day late just finding out the chance is already gone. LMAO. Bummer.

My First Games:

Chip's Challenge / Hugo's House of Horrors / Ski or Die

Current Favorite Games:

DiRT Rally 2.0, XCOM 2, CS:GO, Divinity 2, HL:A, Compound

Current Specs:

Sentry 2.0, ASUS ROG STRIX X570 I-Gaming, AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, 16 GB Trident Z Royal 3200 (Silver),

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME, RTX 2080 Ti Black, Valve Index, DOF Reality P6

1 minute ago, Avoke said:

I'm planning to opt for the VAG Program when it comes out and hopefully get myself a 3080.

Yeah about that lol. I believe they reserved all of them already.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Implosion said:

Hasn't it already "come out" in some capacity?

Wait it did? 🤣
I think I missed a notification, let me go scour

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yeah about that lol. I believe they reserved all of them already.

I'm just checking it out, I had no idea it came out.

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYS

So what is the process? Now that it's happened and we know, so when the next one comes out, I know

3 minutes ago, Avoke said:

I'm just checking it out, I had no idea it came out.

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYS

So what is the process? Now that it's happened and we know, so when the next one comes out, I know

you followed a link, then there was a quiz you had to complete. It was roughly 20 minutes until it went out of stock. 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

you followed a link, then there was a quiz you had to complete. It was roughly 20 minutes until it went out of stock. 

Did they remove the link now? Can't find it on the video(s) or forums. As I believe they said if reservations fall, you could have a chance. 

17 minutes ago, Avoke said:

Did they remove the link now? Can't find it on the video(s) or forums. As I believe they said if reservations fall, you could have a chance. 

It was lttstore.com/30(70/80/90; whichever card you want)ba. 

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

It was lttstore.com/30(70/80/90; whichever card you want)ba. 

And I'm reading on some threads that you shouldn't be posting the link to this quiz around because it was 'give' like that for a reason. I'm still confused how it was even given in the first place, I watched the video multiple times and there's no mention of it in there, even secretly (nothing I've seen so far). Where and how'd they give this link away if they do so again next time?

This is the music playing when LTT came up with this system :

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

If you managed to watch the video, and there was still stock, you were given a quiz. You answered the questions properly, then you got a chance to buy the card.
IIRC you had 2 1/2 minutes to buy the card, then it got added back to the rotation.

So yes, you'd have to have the payment method in hand, ready. They're not going to reserve the card while you figure out the logistics on your end.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

If you managed to watch the video, and there was still stock, you were given a quiz. You answered the questions properly, then you got a chance to buy the card.
IIRC you had 2 1/2 minutes to buy the card, then it got added back to the rotation.

So yes, you'd have to have the payment method in hand, ready. They're not going to reserve the card while you figure out the logistics on your end.

Ahh okay, that clears up alot of confusion! Thank you! I watched the video just now, long after it ran out of stock.. Just didn't see any indication of the quiz in the video itself.

I am confident that I truly qualify as a real gamer and a community member but I feel discouraged to participate in this. Don't get me wrong, the initiative is awesome and there is no perfect system but for me and a lot of people outside NA it is next to impossible to qualify for one of these cards.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, TheDuke77 said:

Linus also said in his last WAM show that he shouldn't have said that. . He likes to "spoil" sometimes because he's only trying to be nice and helpful. You can tell he's excited about it and sometimes says too much lol. Sometimes it'll bite you in the butt and he admitted to it. You live and learn everyday!

This is all due to the tariffs the US has implemented on China bought products.

The US wants to discourage china made products, so they added a 25% tariff on all items purchased in China.

I was a purchaser for a global company when Covid hit and the tariffs on metal was introduced. It had a MAJOR impact on our job to try and keep the cost relatively the same. 

I can only assume his team is trying their hardest to get this sorted out so they can get the cards to actual gamers.

Personally i'm going to enter (or try). I just built a new rig with a Ryzen 9 5900 and Im stuck with my 670 from my old rig.

I use it mainly for graphic design, CAD and some games. (hard to game when you have a business and kids including a newborn lol)

Also, in the newest LTT video, it went live.

haha broskie like dab my guy

37 minutes ago, tengambg said:

for me and a lot of people outside NA it is next to impossible to qualify for one of these cards.

why?

4 minutes ago, swarfega said:

Is this scheme still on?

It went live yesterday but they sold out of the stock they had in about 20 minutes. There will be additional stock sometime in the future, but few details have been announced; we know they are working with companies to get AMD products, presumably in addition to more Nvidia GPUs, but no details about when, what, or how exactly have been announced.

Just now, FriedEngineer said:

They sold out of the stock they had in about 20 minutes (yesterday). There will be additional stock sometime in the future, but few details have been announced (we know they are working with companies to get AMD products and presumably additional Nvidia GPUs as well) but no details about when or what have been announced.

wow! Im in UK and it's very difficult to obtain decent cards here at the moment.

1 minute ago, swarfega said:

Im in UK and it's very difficult to obtain decent cards here at the moment.

it's the same everywhere.