Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

I want to see Linus slither around on a pile of salt. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Will the verified program, still let you buy some older hardware? Like All i want is a GTX 1660 SUPER or a RX 5600 xt, will it include those graphics cards in the program?

I highly doubt it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, robotxbot said:

huh?

Your thread was merged into an existing one about VAG.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I love that LTT is doing this and I'm hoping to still get in on one of the other batches, but the one criticism I have is the communication for this was pretty poor. I understand the beans may have been spilled early on this and that caused some issues, but my main gripe is with the communication for when it was actually happening. I like many other people don't have the time to be rapidly refreshing the page every day for three weeks straight. IMO how this first drop was handled really favors the religious LTT viewers who catch every upload with 10 views. A bit better communication on which day we should expect the drop, or at the very least what week it is happening, would be amazing. Just my 2 cents.

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I was pretty excited when they announced this program, but now I am just annoyed by how cryptic they are being. I just keep seeing videos from Linus and ASUS to watch other videos to find out how to enter. Why can't they just give us the link instead of making us jump through hoops? It started out as a good idea, but now they are just using it to drive up their views.

22 minutes ago, Some guy lost over the sun said:

i'm still confused asf for what vid or what link we go to...

There was a segment around the 3/4 mark in yesterday's video. Though the video is still live, it looks like the segment with the information for the Verified Actual Gamer program was removed. In that segment they partially stated the links to go to (there was a code you had to understand and enter it as part of the URL).The links were posted earlier in this thread if you're curious, but  I imagine they will be different next time and they currently just redirect you to a page that now reads:

THANK YOU for your patience along the way, and congrats to the Verified Actual Gamers that got a card today
Holy crap, THANK YOU for your support today on the Verified Actual Gamer program.

Thanks for your feedback - we're working on a couple fixes for next time. If you saw the "Validating Quiz" screen for an extended period of time, that meant that all inventory for the card that you were trying to buy was spoken for, but other buyers were still checking out. We're working on a fix to make sure that's communicated more clearly next time.

Stay tuned SOON for more Verified Actual Gamer drops

4 minutes ago, PsLJdogg said:

I was pretty excited when they announced this program, but now I am just annoyed by how cryptic they are being. I just keep seeing videos from Linus and ASUS to watch other videos to find out how to enter. Why can't they just give us the link instead of making us jump through hoops? It started out as a good idea, but now they are just using it to drive up their views.

The current round is over, but it will happen again sometime in the future (yet undisclosed). The jumping through hoops part is (ideally) to slow down the bots and scalpers so only "Verified Actual Gamers" can buy what's available.

4 minutes ago, PsLJdogg said:

To make sure only dedicated people get the chance. There's only a very limited number of cards and with how many people are crawling over each other to get one, it at least gets rid of the people who don't actually care that much to find their way to the page 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, FriedEngineer said:

The jumping through hoops part is (ideally) to slow down the bots and scalpers so only "Verified Actual Gamers" can buy what's available.

There are much better ways to do this that don't require us to sit around all day refreshing their channel in hopes that we are one of the first handful of people to watch it as it gets uploaded. Also not sure why bots and scalpers would be an issue if they are "hand verifying" all orders anyway.

2 minutes ago, PsLJdogg said:

There are much better ways to do this that don't require us to sit around all day refreshing their channel in hopes that we are one of the first handful of people to watch it as it gets uploaded. Also not sure why bots and scalpers would be an issue if they are "hand verifying" all orders anyway.

This has been discussed pretty extensively in this thread. I'd suggest you read through those arguments. My comments on it are below, and a number of other (likely better) comments followed shortly thereafter.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

To make sure only dedicated people get the chance.

People with no obligations or commitments*

maybe i am mistaken but 2 things coming quite soon crypto crash and gpu stocks normalyzing. any of them will couse another trigger. looks like most of world loooking to ease lockdowns by the summer and it will ease demand.

9 hours ago, Rybo said:

I assume they unlisted the video already?  I was keeping track of their uploads but see nothing talking about their sale.  

Exactly!! yesterday when i got home i figured i'd see something but there was just that "i was right" video with no instructions or anything. I saw yesterday people saying it was sold out in like 15 min after i got back from lunch so i expected to see the vid that evening.

20 minutes ago, PsLJdogg said:

People with no obligations or commitments*

and as has been mentioned a multitude of times; regardless of how they do it, there is no way it can be 100% fair to everyone. There will be people who miss out for one reason or another.

your solution was to just post the link directly instead of a scavenger hunt, that doesn't solve your issue above.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's not gonna be perfect either way, but this was definitely a good way to avoid bots at least. Plus, the less you had to google, the faster you were so there was definitely merit there. Been looking for a while now and definitely appreciate the opportunity to get one. For those lucky few who did get a card, any word on when it's going to ship out? I realize that this isn't typical ltt stock, but how long does an order take on lttstore.com? (esp within canada)

Thanks!

wont be simpler to make gaming turnament? and give chance by rankings? one entry one rank one card to choose. from top to bottom as supply  last?

9 hours ago, LeadMagnet said:

Good on LTT for trying to do a little something to at least give gamers a chance to pick up some hardware. The process will never be perfect when demand so far outstrips supply. For my part, I'm sitting over here in the UK having essentially sold my soul for a chance at a 2060, so my current levels of shame run deep. My only personal request would be for this to serve as the new "no stock remaining" messaging graphic:

image.png.f442c1f2cd2b3c792269912b93952150.png

🤣 Thanks LTT!

I literally demand they do this for the next one. @Slick make it happen.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Kavamale21 said:

wont be simpler to make gaming turnament? and give chance by rankings? one entry one rank one card to choose. from top to bottom as supply  last?

That would be extraordinarily difficult. 

Tell you what, you figure out all the mechanisms and development to make sure that everyone has a fair shot at participating and no one cheats and we'll do it that way 😛

In response to everyone else, we know the communication wasn't perfect - some of that was because things kept changing so it got easier to say nothing than to keep saying things and correcting them - and part of it was to avoid a mad rush to get the ~100 GPUs we had. We didn't WANT every single one of our 13M subscribers to try to hit the store at the same time...

We're doing our best and we'll keep trying to improve. The drops will continue to be announced in the daily LTT video though for the time being.

Thanks for your feedback.

Linus

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We didn't WANT every single one of our 13M subscribers to try to hit the store at the same time...

lttstore.com handled it like a champ. Other than getting stuck on "verifying", which was already noted, I didn't see any issues. Kudos to the team!

11 minutes ago, Kavamale21 said:

Then it's based on skill level. And depending on the game, the participants may not have a computer good enough to play what ever game is selected (because they can't get GPUs). But sure, if you can figure out how to make a fair tournament for millions of people, let me know, i'd be fascinated to learn the logistics of it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Tell you what, you figure out all the mechanisms and development to make sure that everyone has a fair shot at participating and no one cheats and we'll do it that way 😛

Minesweeper. Fastest time to clear a set seed wins.

Anybody cheats, me and the birb gang will fly to their place and peck them to death.

Ez.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III