Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

7 minutes ago, nznaza said:

Well, steam is not the only platform, and some people may not have powerful PC's and buying the GPU are the way they are going to play, so not really the best way.

But most of the questions where meme questions

Im closing on 40 yo so meme culture....

1 minute ago, Terryv said:

Has anyone else gone into an infinite loop for validating the quiz?

I started and completed the quiz within the first few minutes of the video going live. It still says right now "validating quiz"

They are all gone, but yes everyone got it, its what happened when the intiial quizes were done and people were put into buying em, it was meant to say something like all the gpus unless someone failed to buy one or something like that.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

On 3/6/2021 at 4:05 AM, Padblaze said:

Can someone resume me what he said, I've been watching the live but I still doesn't understand. Will they be on LTTStore.com and when will they be? Is it only for US or Canada too? Also, at what time does LTT videos start? Thanks 🙂

what is that cunamy(or how is it written) code he sead to enter

2 minutes ago, mcsafter said:

what is that cunamy(or how is it written) code he sead to enter

lol Konami code https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code Anyways they are gone now.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I didnt get a card but I respect the effort he is making.    At what point should I just give up and wait till next year when the next generation comes out.   When does RDNA 3 come out/

I have been waiting for this and tried as soon as video dropped. I have a PC waiting for a graphic card since my 2060 crashed. But I do not understand the directions. How to become a verified gamer? How to get the 2 letter code? Could someone please explain better than Linus? I would like to participate next time 

I just watched the vid 😞 if what i heard is true, asus doesn't have anymore cards to send? that rlly sucks, I wanted to purchase a white asus 3080

Just now, araeed4 said:

I just watched the vid 😞 if what i heard is true, asus doesn't have anymore cards to send? that rlly sucks, I wanted to purchase a white asus 3080

You didnt even get the option the 3090 was a blk strix, 3080 was a TUF and the 3070 was a Dual

System Specs

OF COURSE the video dropped during my one class today. Holy crap that is unfortunate luck. I saw the notification pop up in class and quickly  scanned the video and description for links while I could but it didn't look like the announcement. I literally opened the video 28 seconds after it was posted and only realized an hour later that it was the video announcing VAG..... damn that is quite depressing.

Just now, TheBahrbarian said:

OF COURSE the video dropped during my one class today. Holy crap that is unfortunate luck. I saw the notification pop up in class and quickly  scanned the video and description for links while I could but it didn't look like the announcement. I literally opened the video 28 seconds after it was posted and only realized an hour later that it was the video announcing VAG..... damn that is quite depressing.

If it makes you feel better I watched it when it dropped and still didnt get it...

9 minutes ago, araeed4 said:

Because I havent refreshed the page yet, donty have the 3070 one though.

2021-03-23 15_46_01-ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 – Linus Tech Tips Store.png

2021-03-23 15_46_13-ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 – Linus Tech Tips Store.png

System Specs

4 minutes ago, swimtome said:

If it makes you feel better I watched it when it dropped and still didnt get it...

It kinda does I guess haha. It's just unfortunate because I had pretty much relegated this as my last chance to get a GPU but doesn't look like I will be able to. I guess I could get lucky on their follow up programs (idk how soon those will be). I'll try to be good about opening the videos when I can but as someone with an actual schedule and responsibilities during the day it's going to come down to sheer luck haha

On 3/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, Donut417 said:

What I got out of it was this. They will release videos at what ever time, some videos will have info on how to buy these cards. 

Cards are available world wide HOWEVER shipping , VAT, and Tariffs are paid by the buyer. 

Where do i sign up...I saw the video with his link description, but the part after /3080 is what I'm trying to figure out...Any help here?

2 minutes ago, ShatGamer80 said:

Where do i sign up...I saw the video with his link description, but the part after /3080 is what I'm trying to figure out...Any help here?

BA... 

but its too late

Sorry guys, just wanted to ask where did it go up? I had notifications on youtube and everything. Did it happen in the WANshow live stream??? 

@Slick I watched the WAN Show live last Friday, which I normally never do since it is in the middle of the night where I live, since this drop was announced to be done then. When that did not happen, I was anticipating something to drop during the next WAN Show, so you might be able to guess how frustrated I am right now.

After watching this video I realized, that the V.A.G. / G.G. will likely never work for me, or for most gamers watching your channel. Also I was extremely disappointed in the way this was done. You were dropping hints about a fair chance to buy hardware at MSRP for three weeks and all you can come up with is this measly scavenger hunt?! Really?? The price might be fair but the chances aren't any better than any other shop out there when and if they get inventory.

Perhaps my expectations were to high but nonetheless, now that I've got this out of my system, I have a suggestion for another way to go about this:

1. Let interested gamers put the hardware they want into the shopping cart on LTTStore in form of "out of stock items"
  2. Have gamers link and verify a game launcher account that allows for checking gaming activity (Steam etc.) to their LTTStore account - automating this should be doable
  3. Limit "orders" to one order (CPU and/or GPU) per game launcher account + address + payment method
  4. When you get inventory, pick from those orders at random
    1. If an order contains 1 CPU and 1 GPU and/or more than one variant of CPU and/or GPU it will be fulfilled at random with at least 1 item that fits one of the choices
  5. Verify the linked game launcher account is active - this might not be easy to automate but with quantities around 100 or so items it should be doable manually
  6. Fill the shopping cart and notify the gamers of a buying window of 48 hours (maybe give the option to pass)
  7. Draw new buyers for expired/passed buying windows if needed
  8. Fulfilled orders are removed everyone else stays in for the next drop - partly fulfilled orders stay in for another chance to buy the remaining part of the CPU and GPU combo
  9. repeat 4 to 8 as long and often as you see fit

I hope this makes sense and is at least considered as a mode of operation going forward.

52 minutes ago, StandardBrowser said:

@Slick I watched the WAN Show live last Friday, which I normally never do since it is in the middle of the night where I live, since this drop was announced to be done then. When that did not happen, I was anticipating something to drop during the next WAN Show, so you might be able to guess how frustrated I am right now.

After watching this video I realized, that the V.A.G. / G.G. will likely never work for me, or for most gamers watching your channel. Also I was extremely disappointed in the way this was done. You were dropping hints about a fair chance to buy hardware at MSRP for three weeks and all you can come up with is this measly scavenger hunt?! Really?? The price might be fair but the chances aren't any better than any other shop out there when and if they get inventory.

Perhaps my expectations were to high but nonetheless, now that I've got this out of my system, I have a suggestion for another way to go about this:

1. Let interested gamers put the hardware they want into the shopping cart on LTTStore in form of "out of stock items"
  2. Have gamers link and verify a game launcher account that allows for checking gaming activity (Steam etc.) to their LTTStore account - automating this should be doable
  3. Limit "orders" to one order (CPU and/or GPU) per game launcher account + address + payment method
    1. If an order contains 1 CPU and 1 GPU and/or more than one variant of CPU and/or GPU it will be fulfilled at random with at least 1 item that fits one of the choices
  5. Verify the linked game launcher account is active - this might not be easy to automate but with quantities around 100 or so items it should be doable manually
  6. Fill the shopping cart and notify the gamers of a buying window of 48 hours (maybe give the option to pass)
  8. Fulfilled orders are removed everyone else stays in for the next drop - partly fulfilled orders stay in for another chance to buy the remaining part of the CPU and GPU combo

I hope this makes sense and is at least considered as a mode of operation going forward.

That’s an extremely complex solution that I imagine would take a few months to get worked out. They already delayed it almost two weeks just trying to deal with the US tariff issues.

I understand your upset but they were pretty clear that it would be in a normal LTT video (which are uploaded daily during the week, usually within about a 45 minute window) and there would be some sort of verification process. The only thing that was connected to the WAN show was that Linus commented during WAN show a few weeks ago that they were working on it and then updates in later WAN Shows. To my knowledge, it was never stated to be done during WAN show.

The only real complaint I can see is that the verification questions were somewhat biased to people who were into some of the more classic video game lore, not just people who game a lot. They were fun but specific enough that if you had to google it you probably missed out.

2 hours ago, Ryoga1980 said:

Can someone post link to quiz or the questions?

i know all are gone i want to take the quiz for fun 🙂

I was only able to get 13 of the 15, but this should give you an idea: https://imgur.com/a/aLmLgLt

The order of the questions changed but I think the questions themselves were the same. If you answered one incorrectly you lost a heart and got to try that question again (and you could lose another heart). When you lost all your hearts (3) you had to start over, with the questions re-randomized.

14 minutes ago, StandardBrowser said:

What an insane overkill to just sell 100 Asus cards to a bunch of gamers! If you were a developer, you would quickly realize, how many hours of development would have to go into deploying, fail-testing and operating this.

You would still end up with people whining about the process.

The whole purpose of this program was to ensure that these few cards would end up in the hands of actual gamers, not bots and scalpers. I think they achieved this goal. 

24 minutes ago, StandardBrowser said:

I watched the WAN Show live last Friday, which I normally never do since it is in the middle of the night where I live, since this drop was announced to be done then. When that did not happen, I was anticipating something to drop during the next WAN Show, so you might be able to guess how frustrated I am right now.

This is entirely you, it was pretty clearly communicated it was going to be on a typical LTT video.

Also as mentioned your solution is obcenely complex. The end goal was to keep the cards out of the hands of bots, which is what it did.

System Specs

3 minutes ago, hoemma said:

What an insane overkill to just sell 100 Asus cards to a bunch of gamers! If you were a developer, you would quickly realize, how many hours of development would have to go into deploying, fail-testing and operating this.

You would still end up with people whining about the process.

The whole purpose of this program was to ensure that these few cards would end up in the hands of actual gamers, not bots and scalpers. I think they achieved this goal. 

I completely agree. Although I’m slightly unhappy that I didn’t get one, the reality is that we’re lucky to even have A CHANCE LIKE THIS AT ALL. PERIOD. They never once even remotely hinted at being able to get one for EVERY gamer who wants one — they just aimed to get all the cards they have to gamers, and gamers only. The fact is, if you were able to get a card after looking it up, then the process probably wouldn’t have worked as well as it did now. Sure, the fastest to get the quiz done might not be 100% fair, but it ensures that you can only have a chance at getting a card if you’re dedicated, and you’re fast enough at answering stuff only a gamer would know.

So it sucks that not everyone got what they wanted, but that was never guaranteed nor was it the goal. It’d be nice, but I think that this was a (albeit somewhat imperfect) successful endeavor.

Congrats to Linus for pulling this off! You have my full attention for the next drop 😉

41 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

how long did it take for them to sell out? 60s?

I watched the video 15-20 minutes after it dropped. I went to the website and tried to give it a shot, since I live in Canada and wouldn't have to pay tariffs (or wait 3 months because it's stuck at customs). They were still in stock and I went through the quiz for the 3080. I'm old enough to have used the Konami code myself and was able to know most of the answers (or guess some of them). Unfortunately, the cards were gone once I finished the quiz.