How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

dad bought the CPU and mobo last year for my older bros build, sat brand new unused for a year. I had 300$ for fixing computers. he returned them, bought the lastest gen, I paid for the PSU, ram, hard drive and graphics card. not bad. thinking of selling it though

I just sent someone an email saying I was a Nigerian prince and if they sent me there bank details and passwords I'd deposit half million in their account.

lol Did you get the account details? (trolling)

I wish I had FUNCTIONAL computer parts, I have:

1. One 128MB stick of 186-pin SDRAM
  2. 8 x 64MB sticks of 186-pin SDRAM
  3. NVidia P117 with 64MB VRAM and AGP 8x interface
  4. DVI cable
  5. USB optical drive (saves my ass, I don't have an optical drive)

I am not old enough to work (please see my profile) and my parents said NO when I asked to build a PC, but when I am old enough I will just go out and work my ASS off.

There is my $.02

but when I am old enough I will just go out and work my ASS off.

I wish I heard that so much more from younger people these days,  It seems from gen Y back (here in Aus at least) they all think they should be paid more to do less, like they are entitled to something.  They don't realize that everyone starts out life working hard for minimum wage. They want to skip that part and go straight to the payoff part. No concept of the value of earning your bread.   Thank you for making my day a little better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My first pc was ~£600 and i saved up birthday and Christmas money and got it in 2009 i think with a HD5770 and Phenom II 965BE  I upgraded it a lot over about 3/4 years using money like before, but also got money off people for working on websites & building/fixing computers.

I then had plenty of student loan at uni so i bought my new one in my sig last summer for about £3k with a focus on silence (watercooling, idle fans at 0%), speed (100% SSD, 4770k), power consumption (~70w idle) and looks (colour coordination and custom cables etc...

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

To save up for my PC, I ended up getting a second job at a local ISP, and just put all of my earnings towards it.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Pool the money from all the facets of your life, i.e. birthday/christmas/allowance, plus a part time job and you'll have that comp in no time. To make that waiting less painful. treat the time it takes you to actually earn that money as a research period and refine your build til it's exactly where you want it to be.

by working hard and buying what was fit for purpose.

no mummy grants here.

Amen.... I think actually earning your own things, make you cherish it, and make it more worth while for you. ''Mummy grants'' are just spoiled people who get a gtx titan to play minecraft

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

money from work around the house and christmas and birthday money and are nearly there, still using my laptop, its reasonably powerful though (ASUS N56VJ)

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Mummy grants are OK if you still live with your mum as long as you tell her you love her every day, and not milk her for what isnt essential

Hey fellow tech heads, I have a simple question for you guys. How did you guys save up for you PC? By that I mean did you have a part time job and save 20% or did you walk the dog and saved forever? I'm looking for ideas to buy some computer parts. I'm almost going be in jail for murder with this crappy laptop. Thanks!

sell drugs and bcome a pimp.

I didn't. lel jk I work at school, but haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Well base for my wealth comes from stocks and having turned almost all graduation etc gift money into funds (atm totalling bit over €5k). Selling bit of those got me my first built. Before that I had got some stuff with physical help funding (chair, monitor). Partial upgrades are paid with summerjob money. Last full upgrade was paid with tax refunds and counting votes at local elections. The next upgrade is also paid with vote counting money if I'm lucky to be selected to that job. It would be €500+ for two days.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My xbox and all the accesories/games gave me a chunk + birthday + Christmas + Allowance

Car accident. :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

i saved up about 1000 for mine by working at different places and hoarding all of my birthday and other holiday money. Then i went to the bank and got a small loan that i could afford to cover the rest of the cost. (but im not so sure you would be able to get a loan because you're 16)

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

I could do that, but my dad is really set with Apple like for real. I could receive a Macbook no problem. THough I hate apples.

Ask for a mac pro, put windows on it and off you go...Its a workstation but you sure as hell can game on it aswell...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

i got a job. and worked for it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

lol Did you get the account details? (trolling)

I wish I had FUNCTIONAL computer parts, I have:

1. One 128MB stick of 186-pin SDRAM
  2. 8 x 64MB sticks of 186-pin SDRAM
  3. NVidia P117 with 64MB VRAM and AGP 8x interface
  4. DVI cable
  5. USB optical drive (saves my ass, I don't have an optical drive)

I am not old enough to work (please see my profile) and my parents said NO when I asked to build a PC, but when I am old enough I will just go out and work my ASS off.

There is my $.02

Wait just a bit more and sell that graphics card to a museum :D

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

I worked for 2 years on the farm and non stop at the summer lifting rocks in fields to buy my little beast ;D

Gotta love grandma... :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i asked my parents for money and they gave it to me

:D

lucky bastard, lol

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600