Why is older generation hardware so expensive?

Wizzl3Dizzle

I have been looking high and low for a i7 7700k to replace the i5 7600k cause i need the hyperthreading for playing newer games. but everywhere i look they want over 200 for it! its like for 300 to 400 i could buy a 3rd gen ryzen and board.

Intel parts don't come down in price, mostly because people don't really care about the price. Your average non-techie gamer is gonna see that the 7700K is the best CPU for their old B250 motherboard, see that it costs $250, and decide to bite the bullet because "thems the breaks"

A lot of consumers won't even compare the product they're buying to other products, simply because it makes the buying decision too complicated.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, Wizzl3Dizzle said:

I have been looking high and low for a i7 7700k to replace the i5 7600k cause i need the hyperthreading for playing newer games. but everywhere i look they want over 200 for it! its like for 300 to 400 i could buy a 3rd gen ryzen and board.

Because a 7700K is faster than a Zen 2 still. So it's retained it's value through the years from good IPC and frequency. 

So no, you're still better off getting the 7700K for 200 rather than getting a 3rd Gen Ryzen for 400.

Try buying a i7-990X (circa 2011). They are still bringing $200+.

Even the X58 motherboards are bringing good money.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Because a 7700K is faster than a Zen 2 still. So it's retained it's value through the years from good IPC and frequency. 

So no, you're still better off getting the 7700K for 200 rather than getting a 3rd Gen Ryzen for 400.

I remember reading that a 7700k and a 3300x were on a level.  At that point the 7700k becomes a better deal because while the 3300x is supposed to be $120 and available in practice it’s neither of those things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I remember reading that a 7700k and a 3300x were on a level.  At that point the 7700k becomes a better deal because while the 3300x is supposed to be $120 and available in practice it’s neither of those things. 

Well for number of threads yes. Overclocking = worlds apart. 

7700K, probably set all core 4.8ghz, leave v-core on auto and let it fly. Spank on the 3600X a little bit. 

But if you where to spend money today.... Might as well save up and grab a 5600X and just have a faster gaming rig and be done with it. No sense in spending money on this, both platforms became EOL when Zen 3 arrived. 

33 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well for number of threads yes. Overclocking = worlds apart. 

7700K, probably set all core 4.8ghz, leave v-core on auto and let it fly. Spank on the 3600X a little bit. 

But if you where to spend money today.... Might as well save up and grab a 5600X and just have a faster gaming rig and be done with it. No sense in spending money on this, both platforms became EOL when Zen 3 arrived. 

If this was the case, they would be saying the 3300x is on a level with the 7700 not the 7700k.  I don’t know if the comparison includes OC or not.  As for “spanking” a 3300x and a 3600x are about the same speed if only 8 threads are getting used. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

maybe there an conspiracy. maybe when the software seen xxx gpu name it puts up an xxx fps...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If this was the case, they would be saying the 3300x is on a level with the 7700 not the 7700k.  I don’t know if the comparison includes OC or not.  As for “spanking” a 3300x and a 3600x are about the same speed if only 8 threads are getting used. 

OK let's say they are comparable. Close enough 5% difference.

*Most games don't scale past 8 threads*

Then we buy new board and Cpu. 

And reinstall windows. 

For Similar performance?

Why?

OP would be just fine with a 7700K without going through all the trouble....

just because the cost of an cpu is x you got to add the total of the full build. cpu,ram,mb cost. add that up then get an fps per dollar. and well if you go older for a neash thing prices go up..... like building the fasted windows 98 pc...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

2 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Try buying a i7-990X (circa 2011). They are still bringing $200+...

A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition still goes for $120+. A QX9650 can still bring close to $100. Hell, even just a Q9650 can go for almost $50, while a Pentium G4560 that stomps it in every way goes for the same price. Know why? The best of a line will always bring a huge premium.

Case in point: the Pentium 4 661, which runs at 3.6 GHz, can be had for about $20 (still $17 too much, imo). The Q9550 can be had for $25. Both are the second-best chip in their family tree (I think the 661 is, anyway). You're always going to pay a premium for the best because it's the best, and everyone wants the best. They Google "best LGA 775" and that's what they find, and they pay for it. No one searches for the chip that's going to give them 95% of the performance at 50% of the price.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

just because the cost of an cpu is x you got to add the total of the full build. cpu,ram,mb cost. add that up then get an fps per dollar. and well if you go older for a neash thing prices go up.....

So when you look on E-bay, there is a high demand for the processor because people need more than 4 threads with systems purchased with an i5. They want the i7 upgrade. It's easier and less time and cost consuming yes.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So when you look on E-bay, there is a high demand for the processor because people need more than 4 threads with systems purchased with an i5. They want the i7 upgrade. It's easier and less time and cost consuming yes.

well the 1156 4core cpus start at the 6600 and most want to oc so you need the 6600k an that starts at $200 mb 80-$150+ ram $50

Edited by thrasher_565

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

well the 1156 4core cpus start at the 6600 and most want to oc so you need the 6600k an that starts at $200

Cause it's fast :P

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cause it's fast :P

ya thx that what i have. well there more to the story at one point say the x56 mb uses to be $100 but because of the mining craze everything sold out so people were left with the older stuff and they raised the price to meet the demand. still will cost you like $200-$300 for an x56 build. now of cores the fastest cpu for that socket will cost more just because its the fastest and you tubers are not helping when they make videos on making the fastest pc with this socket...

You basically just said why. Moving to a new platform costs twice as much. Plus the differences year over year have been small, so there wasn't much need to drop the price too considerably; you were still getting almost-as-good performance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There's also the fact that there's still adequate demand for them at the commanded prices. 

There's no real reason for sellers to lower prices if people are willing to buy them at those prices. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Basic supply and demand. Did you think it only applies to retail markets? 7700K is the highest you can go with LGA1151 socket. So anyone looking for easy/cheap upgrade for 2 generations of CPUs is looking at it. And since some who buy i7 (like myself) don't really need all of its power to begin with, they have no interest of upgrading for some 5+ years. Meaning that there aren't many available, people look what others are asking and set their price on that. If items don't move, the price will drop.

The asking price here is about the same, €160 which is just under $200.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Basic supply and demand. Did you think it only applies to retail markets? 7700K is the highest you can go with LGA1151 socket. So anyone looking for easy/cheap upgrade for 2 generations of CPUs is looking at it. And since some who buy i7 (like myself) don't really need all of its power to begin with, they have no interest of upgrading for some 5+ years. Meaning that there aren't many available, people look what others are asking and set their price on that. If items don't move, the price will drop.

The asking price here is about the same, €160 which is just under $200.

How much a performance increase will the OP get for replacing his 7600 with a 7700K? Personally I doubt there will be enough Jump to even bother.

Which games now require at least 8 Threads to even play?

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How much a performance increase will the OP get for replacing his 7600 with a 7700K? Personally I doubt there will be enough Jump to even bother.

Which games now require at least 8 Threads to even play?

CP2077? I'm sure the performance change will be noticeable

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Because people like me are willing to spend the money. I bought this year a used 7700k for 220 € and 4790k for 175 €. It is way less hassle to just switch the cpu. The price is also much less when selling your old cpu

No need to spend more on a Ryzen build when the old stuff does the job as well for cheaper. I can buy a new system in a few years instead of upgrading ryzen

21 hours ago, Wizzl3Dizzle said:

Just go with Rysen. 7000 series don't make sense now. I won't even buy 9000 series now, not that I would buy intel right now.

I wouldn't touch 4C/8T in 2020 when games are now being designed for 8C/16T consoles. Even 6C/12T is kind of iffy, though if we get the rumored $220 R5 5600 non-X maybe it would be worth it since Ryzen 3 got a really nice IPC bump.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wouldn't touch 4C/8T in 2020 when games are now being designed for 8C/16T consoles. Even 6C/12T is kind of iffy, though if we get the rumored $220 R5 5600 non-X maybe it would be worth it since Ryzen 3 got a really nice IPC bump.

all aaa games are crap... there nothing worth playing imo so why upgrade? indy games on the other hand are doing alsome...

do people like playing buggy boring full of micro transaction games?

Edited by thrasher_565