Why is older generation hardware so expensive?

Wizzl3Dizzle
1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

all aaa games are crap... there nothing worth playing imo so why upgrade? indy games on the other hand are doing alsome...

do people like playing buggy boring full of micro transaction games?

There’s also more or less nothing that won’t run on 4/8 either.  Right now anyway.  The question becomes what will be developed?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

all aaa games are crap... there nothing worth playing imo so why upgrade? indy games on the other hand are doing alsome...

do people like playing buggy boring full of micro transaction games?

To each his own I guess. Indie games mostly bore the shit out of me (with a few exceptions like Guacamelee and Dead Cells for example which are amazing) but I'm having a blast with RDR2 right now and love Japanese AAA games like the Yakuza series, the Persona series, the Shin Megami Tensei series, etc. Can't wait for the Nier Replicant remaster next spring too.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s also more or less nothing that won’t run on 4/8 either.  Right now anyway.  The question becomes what will be developed?  

I think 4C/8T is going to look really bad by the end of 2021 once new games are built targeting the Zen 2 8C/16T cpus in the new current gen consoles. I know it's Haswell, but my 4C/8T Xeon E3-1231v3 (3.6 GHz on all cores) just barely cuts it for 60 fps gaming in RDR2 with some moderate settings tweaks. But always seems to take a year between a new generation console release and games actually made targeting it instead of the previous gen consoles. Kind of expecting my E3-1231v3 won't be enough for 60 fps gaming in Dying Light 2 and I guess the jury is out on Cyberpunk since that game is just such a clusterfuck right now.

Clicked on this thinking OP meant retro hardware 😅... I just maxed out my first build for giggles - Athlon XP 3200, 3GB RAM on an ASUS A7N8X-E.... was looking at a Radeon 3850 AGP and was shocked by the going prices... $150-200 USD. ... Guess GPUs really are in short supply LOL

On 12/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, Fasauceome said:

Intel parts don't come down in price, mostly because people don't really care about the price. Your average non-techie gamer is gonna see that the 7700K is the best CPU for their old B250 motherboard, see that it costs $250, and decide to bite the bullet because "thems the breaks"

A lot of consumers won't even compare the product they're buying to other products, simply because it makes the buying decision too complicated.

Not quite. Old hardware is expensive because of companies that are willing to spend thousands of dollars to keep an old machine running because their software is so attuned to the hardware that upgrading would cost the equivalent of hundreds of man hours they are not willing to give up.

I work as a repair technician for PCs. I've seen people spend weeks of their time and hundreds of dollars trying to find parts for their core 2 duo XP machine because their business'  $50,000 specialized shop equipment relies on too many legacy firmware, connectors and software to run on anything other than Windows XP, and it's either spend a few hundred on an aging machine or have to overhaul their whole shop to run on modern hardware, costing them yet another $50k plus. In the mind of business owners, especially small business owners that might have only JUST paid off whatever loan they had to get that equipment in the first place, where that shop equipment is working perfectly fine and still more than suits their needs, not at least trying to repair old equipment would be a huge waste.

There is still a demand for older hardware, more than you might think. Keep in mind there were, and may still be, businesses paying Microsoft many, many thousands to keep a team on updating Windows 7 Enterprise so they won't have to spend potential millions overhauling their tech.

10 hours ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Just go with Rysen. 7000 series don't make sense now. I won't even buy 9000 series now, not that I would buy intel right now.

Ryzen is fast, but it’s not that fast. I just upgraded from a 3770K. New Ryzen might be fast, but I couldn’t get one, and I still can’t. My kids will get my 3600 and I will move up when they are available. I did almost go with 9 series Intel, and still wonder if I should have.. not because I’ve had a bad experience..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Mostly supply and demand, as newer products get released, the supply for old products pretty much capped off. Additionally some boards will just die over time, so supply will be lower as well.

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

Its fine i just sold the board and i5 7600k i had for 160$ and bought a ryzen 5 3600 with asus b450 rog strix motherboard for 300$ from microcenter.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, Wizzl3Dizzle said:

I have been looking high and low for a i7 7700k to replace the i5 7600k cause i need the hyperthreading for playing newer games. but everywhere i look they want over 200 for it! its like for 300 to 400 i could buy a 3rd gen ryzen and board.

You ever consider a platform change to Z490? You can get a i5 10400 for pretty cheap

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Generally older parts are not more expensive except in cases where they are in high demand and limited supply.

This is why you can find tons of older Xeon chips out there cheap, data centers dump them at scheduled intervals.

If you are trying to buy a Ryzen, Threadripper or certain consumer Intel parts which are supply constrained on the used market and in demand the prices don't really go down that much.

There is still a bit of a disconnect with used Intel consumer CPU's though. People are paying way too much for the consumer Intel parts IMO when you do a performance comparison to anything new. In terms of why people are willing to pay so much for these older Intel chips? I have absolutely no idea. If someone asked me for over $200 USD for a  i7 7700k (which has a CPU pass mark of 9721 which is below a sub $200, Ryzen 2600-non X) my response would be to start laughing hysterically.

In fact the only situation I could even recommend an Intel part right now is if it was an insanely good deal, like some of their used Xeon chips.

On 12/20/2020 at 2:43 AM, freeagent said:

Ryzen is fast, but it’s not that fast. I just upgraded from a 3770K. New Ryzen might be fast, but I couldn’t get one, and I still can’t. My kids will get my 3600 and I will move up when they are available. I did almost go with 9 series Intel, and still wonder if I should have.. not because I’ve had a bad experience..

The 9 sereis compared to the 10 and upcoming ones is way much less efficient. I also believe the bandwidth is lower other than the limiting pf X86 itself. Way more buggy than 10's and have to undervolted quite a lot or the fan will be crazy. Which result in more freezes and at times stutters and skip one sec in video. Not a big fan. As you jsut upped from a 3770, looks like you don't need the fastest, Rysen is way more efficient and smooth(Granted windows still have a lagg here and there compared to Mac in general). Just wait for the new chips. 

On 12/19/2020 at 3:32 AM, unsorted said:

My personal opinion, I would say it is because technology is evolving quite quickly and even on the page it says it is discontinued.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

maybe it would be worth it since Ryzen 3

Ryzen 5, you mean. (No offense i just want to confirm)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

6 hours ago, wall03 said:

Ryzen 5, you mean. (No offense i just want to confirm)

Crap I meant Zen 3 = Ryzen 5000 series. Shit is confusing lol. 🤣

7 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

My personal opinion, I would say it is because technology is evolving quite quickly and even on the page it says it is discontinued.

It can be subjective. Lots of things are disconinued but they still perfrom extremely well. When I read the topic I expected something far older, so it could just be me. I am using a Ryzen 2600 at home that was first intro'd in 2017. System was built in 2019. You can still get them new locally, though they are getting a bit thin. So that's 3 years too.

Just now, unsorted said:

It can be subjective. Lots of things are disconinued but they still perfrom extremely well. When I read the topic I expected something far older, so it could just be me. I am using a Ryzen 2600 at home that was first intro'd in 2017. System was built in 2019. You can still get them new locally, though they are getting a bit thin.
System was built in 2009.

It points to supply/demand though.  Supply is now finite.  No more of them are being made. You may sometimes hear how a painters work isn’t worth anything as long as he alive?  That’s a major reason.  When supply stops things gain value.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It points to supply/demand though.  Supply is now finite.  No more of them are being made. You may sometimes hear how a painters work isn’t worth anything as long as he alive?  That’s a major reason.  When supply stops things gain value.

Yes, though PC components are rarely ever a good investment. They tend to go downhill fast most of the time. Some hold their value pretty well. Few are profitable. In a few years we'll see massive drops on all of these components.

1 hour ago, unsorted said:

Yes, though PC components are rarely ever a good investment. They tend to go downhill fast most of the time. Some hold their value pretty well. Few are profitable. In a few years we'll see massive drops on all of these components.

Almost everything is like that.  Including most art.  There’s “blue chip” art, and then there is all of the rest of it.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:17 PM, Wizzl3Dizzle said:

I have been looking high and low for a i7 7700k to replace the i5 7600k cause i need the hyperthreading for playing newer games. but everywhere i look they want over 200 for it! its like for 300 to 400 i could buy a 3rd gen ryzen and board.

you can look for 6700k as well but yeah that gen is kinda screwed.

mattering on your board you maybe able to get a xeon for cheaper if you don't care about OC

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs