stop removing ports and other useful stuff

pm128

One of reasons why I bought  Moto g7 and l340 is because they have rare features like DVD-RW drive and headhone jack. Maybe they don't have best specs (especially the phone) but I'll rater have headphone jack then ex. 8k camera. Like imagine using f***ing mobile data to listen to FM radio. Also if you want to listen to 3.5mm headphones on non-heaphonejacked phone you need dock, and unless it has good dac it will produce terrible audio. And when listening to music I can't change my phone, unless I buy THICC "dock" that looks like it's going to unplug every millisecond and is to big for normal use. Also, imagine laptop without DVD driv- I mean without normal USB port. Can you stand needing dock to littearly plug in normal-sized usb?!? Thunderbolt is cool, but it sucks when you don't have normal ports.  And you know who started trend of ultrabooks having less ports than eepc netbooks? Apple. They also started trend of non-heaphonejack. F*** them

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

oh, ok

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

I mean, everyone has their own usecase for their phone. I have a wireless headset and only charge once a day. I dont have a problem with the missing audiojack tbh. Nor do i miss anything else. 

There's actually 1 thing i do miss! The IR-Sensor some phones had. I actually quite liked it.

I don't use a disc drive that much. I'm happy to sacrifice that. What I don't like seeing is Ethernet disappearing, USB-A disappearing, HDMI or DisplayPort disappearing and the like. Gonna have to make the most of it while they last. And it's surprising to me that in my opinion, going ball grid array yields no difference in reliability other than complication if something is to go wrong with the chip. Makes servicing difficult. It would be nice to see the socket returning to laptops.

My <$200 Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro  has headphone jack, infrared sensor, nfc, decent battery and performance... 

Lots of laptops have loads of usb ports, just don't be the cheapest or thinnest and you'll be fine. The business models will tend to have more connectivity built in (no dock required)

27 minutes ago, pm128 said:

One of reasons why I bought  Moto g7 and l340 is because they have rare features like DVD-RW drive and headhone jack. Maybe they don't have best specs (especially the phone) but I'll rater have headphone jack then ex. 8k camera. Like imagine using f***ing mobile data to listen to FM radio. Also if you want to listen to 3.5mm headphones on non-heaphonejacked phone you need dock, and unless it has good dac it will produce terrible audio. And when listening to music I can't change my phone, unless I buy THICC "dock" that looks like it's going to unplug every millisecond and is to big for normal use. Also, imagine laptop without DVD driv- I mean without normal USB port. Can you stand needing dock to littearly plug in normal-sized usb?!? Thunderbolt is cool, but it sucks when you don't have normal ports.  And you know who started trend of ultrabooks having less ports than eepc netbooks? Apple. They also started trend of non-heaphonejack. F*** them

There is absolutely no need for a DVD-RW its need like decades since i really needed to used one.  I like my laptops to have an optical media because it gives me the room to put in a HDD caddy for a 2nd HDD. On my Lenovo laptop i have the OS on SSD and 2 Raid0 HDDs.

Regarding phones the Jack is essential YES i would not like to charge one more thing. That's why i don't have a smart watch or wireless headphones. But the most important thing is the battery, that is the most annoying thing, not to be able to remove the battery. I use my phone a lot and when it dies i want to be able to change the battery with a fully charged one and yes i also do keep spare chargers at work and in the car.

So when i bought my phone like 2 years ago i bought the LG K10 that has both a Jack and removable battery.

52 minutes ago, mariushm said:

My <$200 Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro  has headphone jack, infrared sensor, nfc, decent battery and performance... 

Lots of laptops have loads of usb ports, just don't be the cheapest or thinnest and you'll be fine. The business models will tend to have more connectivity built in (no dock required)

My motorola costs 290$

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

I’m the opposite, I’m all for reducing number and reliance on ports, not just mobile devices but all devices.

Those who need more can buy a hub or dock, those who don’t just use wireless tech,

The less cables the better IMO.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I don't mind having a USB disc drive, but I'd like to see laptops at least keep the USB-A port, ethernet, and an HDMI, also user serviceable RAM instead of soldered in RAM because ram can fail and once soldered in the laptop is disposable.

IMO it's pointless to get a laptop then need to carry around a hub and dongles.

I don't like optical drives because they're slow, loud, and use a fuck ton of power, never mind how carrying around a bunch of CDs or DVDs is annoying and can get heavy. I don't think they should die away for desktops, but they really should on laptops.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, pm128 said:

DVD-RW drive and headhone jack

Eh, I have zero use for either of those. Haven't had an optical-drive in my desktop for almost a decade now and while my laptop did come with one, I have no use for it, either. Headphones...meh, I don't listen to music and if I did, Bluetooth-headphones are plenty good for me.

2 hours ago, pm128 said:

Like imagine using f***ing mobile data to listen to FM radio

I don't see the prob...oh, right, a third-world country problem. Good thing I don't live there!

2 hours ago, pm128 said:

Can you stand needing dock to littearly plug in normal-sized usb?!?

Sure. I mean, if I was doing something that required plugging in stuff, I'd probably be in a position where I need the charger as well, so a dock wouldn't really be that much extra.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just get a couple adapters and you can connect anything

AGMbgl6.jpg

/s

A lot of the time certain pieces of a computer/phone are removed as a form over function idea. I don't support that. Some things being removed - like a DVD drive - I do not mind however, since I don't use them too often anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok ok, when I bought my laptop I didn't even know it had DVD drive. Now I find it useful, cuz my family has a lot of old non-ripped CD's

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

22 minutes ago, minibois said:

Just get a couple adapters and you can connect anything

AGMbgl6.jpg

/s

A lot of the time certain pieces of a computer/phone are removed as a form over function idea. I don't support that. Some things being removed - like a DVD drive - I do not mind however, since I don't use them too often anyways.

Yo dawg! I heard you like dongles!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I never understand the argument about not being able to charge and plug in headphones simultaneously. That just sounds cumbersome, literally being attached to a device that is also attached to the wall.

8 minutes ago, metroidfan220 said:

I never understand the argument about not being able to charge and plug in headphones simultaneously. That just sounds cumbersome, literally being attached to a device that is also attached to the wall.

Or just get bluetooth headphones? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Or just get bluetooth headphones? 

I got lucky when I bought my OnePlus 8 Pro, since my telco had quite a bit of excess stock of OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2's; I love them being wireless so much that I would never even consider wired headsets anymore ever again! Not having a cable you might accidentally yank on or which might get hooked into something is just fabulous.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

41 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I got lucky when I bought my OnePlus 8 Pro, since my telco had quite a bit of excess stock of OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2's; I love them being wireless so much that I would never even consider wired headsets anymore ever again! Not having a cable you might accidentally yank on or which might get hooked into something is just fabulous.

Not having to charge headphones is better than needing to charge them. I mean, I can stand wireless version of classic headphones but wireless earbuds? No...

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

2 minutes ago, pm128 said:

Not having to charge headphones is better than needing to charge them. I mean, I can stand wireless version of classic headphones but wireless earbuds? No...

I love having a dvd drive. I was able to go through my dad's collection of games (he was a big gamer in the 95-05 era, played in UT2K4 tournaments) and ripped them all to a spare drive. now I can mount the ISO and play them whenever. My "main" laptop is a bit of a hunker, but It had a disc drive, and I use it to watch movies, as its too slow to stream anymore, the a10 line sucked, but thats beside the point. Even some older hardware is bad with ports. That laptop just doesnt provide power to the usb ports that are not SS.

I did love having my wireless earbuds. I totally didnt use them in church a few times, and I could leave my phone in one room, and still hear what was happening. They just died a month or so ago.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I generally go over ears which is weird with quality because good wired ones don't sound great plugged into a phone anyway so you might as well go for bluetooth and have the convenience. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I feel like there needs to be an obligatory "OK BOOMER"....

Headphone jacks are great, not going to deny you that. But you understand that even if it has a headphone jack, it's using a DAC regardless. As for DVDRW, I haven't had to burn a DVD in almost 10 years, still have a spindle of dual layer discs and another of single layer disc just collecting dust. 

If you aren't going super ultra thin laptop, then you are almost always guaranteed at least 1 full size USB port. But if you're looking for something in the ultra thin line up, unfortunately some sacrifices need to be made to fit that form factor.

My work laptop is an HP Elitebook X360 1030 G3, has two Thunderbolts and 1 full size USB and an HDMI port and can fit in that manila envelop. So... yeah. 

4 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

As for DVDRW, I haven't had to burn a DVD in almost 10 years, still have a spindle of dual layer discs and another of single layer disc just collecting dust.

I fint them nice for OS installs. I have a windows DVD, a linux dvd, and a nother window dvd.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I fint them nice for OS installs. I have a windows DVD, a linux dvd, and a nother window dvd

Yeah that's all I ever used them for... now you don't need them. All those distros you mentioned have a USB option. I replaced my disc installs with a couple of cheap 8 to 16gb thumbdrives. Installs a million times faster than DVD and fails less too (depending on the quality of media you used to burn the image to begin with).

Hey there is going to be very specific situations where you might need to burn a disc or use a disc for an install... but those situations are getting to be fewer and fewer each passing year.

Just now, Bad5ector said:

Yeah that's all I ever used them for... now you don't need them. All those distros you mentioned have a USB option. I replaced my disc installs with a couple of cheap 8 to 16gb thumbdrives. Installs a million times faster than DVD and fails less too (depending on the quality of media you used to burn the image to begin with).

Hey there is going to be very specific situations where you might need to burn a disc or use a disc for an install... but those situations are getting to be fewer and fewer each passing year.

I was given about 30 old dvds, so I might as well use them. I think there is something satisfying to have a stack of dvds 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler