stop removing ports and other useful stuff

pm128

Lol. Apple did start the trend, then the other companies made fun of it, then they all copied Apple in the end. It's a predictable cycle. :)

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I was given about 30 old dvds, so I might as well use them. I think there is something satisfying to have a stack of dvds 

Sir you are talking to a old timer, I still have 200 count CD/DVD binders filled with my old games (legit ones) and a 48 binder with my old tech discs, everything from windows 98 to 2000, drivers from my old Asus P5W-DH mobo, to old PC-Check disks, ghost boot discs, etc. But they are all obsolete and I'm only keeping them around because I'm nostalgic. Anyone saying that they need to keep a stack of discs around for anything other than nostalgia (or a very specific and rare reason) is just trolling.

As the kids say, "Change my mind" ;)

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Sir you are talking to a old timer, I still have 200 count CD/DVD binders filled with my old games (legit ones) and a 48 binder with my old tech discs, everything from windows 98 to 2000, drivers from my old Asus P5W-DH mobo, to old PC-Check disks, ghost boot discs, etc. But they are all obsolete and I'm only keeping them around because I'm nostalgic. Anyone saying that they need to keep a stack of discs around for anything other than nostalgia (or a very specific and rare reason) is just trolling.

As the kids say, "Change my mind" ;)

lol, i do acually use my game discs still. Several need resurfaced, but most still work. I have a old copy of starwars race that I remember loving when I was 4 or 5, but I dont remember acually playing it. Somewhare I have the driver for a old prebuilt that had a 100hz 1280x720 (i believe, though it might have been a 480p one) CRT. sadly my dad sold it (it was his, im not old enough to have been around when it was built) the discs get used on my laptop still, and as I said, I use the laptop for movies. I keep the discs because I stlll use them. Plus, my old (like athlon 64 mobile) laptop has slow wifi, so I grab a disc instead of using drive, just because its faster. Now that I think of it, CDs are still used pretty often for people with CD drives in their cars.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Now that I think of it, CDs are still used pretty often for people with CD drives in their cars.

Those are a dying breed my friend. Even the most basic vehicle now comes with some sort of MP3 player. My 2013 Ford Fusion doesn't even have CD, just a radio and a USB port to plug in your iPhone or other MP3 player. Not sure what point you were trying to make about the wifi on your old laptop, that shouldn't affect USB performance? And you still have to download the image to burn to the DVD so whether you are downloading something to USB or DVD she's still going to suck if you're using that wifi.

So far you haven't convinced me, pretty much seems like you are agreeing with me, you have a very specific use case but it isn't something that is required. I do keep a BluRay Drive around to rip any of my media I purchased to MKV though... so I still see a need for the drives, again for very specific uses. As for our old collections, you know as well as I that we could easily rip them to ISO format using any number of tools and store them on a NAS or a local HDD. Sure you could argue, but then it takes up space, but I'd still rather the convenience of having them on my NAS over having to swap discs each time I want to install something.

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Those are a dying breed my friend. Even the most basic vehicle now comes with some sort of MP3 player.

all of my family's cars are >15 years old. Actually, none of the ones we've have had a dvd, all are too old. only castes and radio. 

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Not sure what point you were trying to make about the wifi on your old laptop, that shouldn't affect USB performance

lol, only 2 usb ports, all usb 1. the disc drive is legitimately faster. 

5 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

And you still have to download the image to burn to the DVD so whether you are downloading something to USB or DVD she's still going to suck if you're using that wifi.

I have a desktop, and 100mb, but the laptop, even with a 10mb card, runs about 3mb b/c of how much the CPU can handle. Plus, for games, I already have the isos ripped, but it is faster to write to a dvd and use the disc drive. plus, windows can be finickey, since i dont have a true nas, im using a drive as a "nas".

11 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

As for our old collections, you know as well as I that we could easily rip them to ISO format using any number of tools and store them on a NAS or a local HDD.

i have, like 100 discs, and 30-40gb of data. Old games were small.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

lol, only 2 usb ports, all usb 1. the disc drive is legitimately faster. 

Ahh I get what you were saying now. Anyways, I think you get my point. Specific use cases, but not really needed anymore. It's like saying we need to keep our cassette decks around for all them sweet sweet copies of pong we ran on the VIC-20s ;)

VIC20.PNG

Or god damnit, why don't computers come with Parallel / Serial Ports anymore??!!!

While we're at it... the motorized car killed the horse and buggy industry. :P

i got an lg v20 it has amazing audio and can drive my 250 ohm dt990. it has an ir blaster and removable battery. when it dies ill probably get another one

8 hours ago, pm128 said:

One of reasons why I bought  Moto g7 and l340 is because they have rare features like DVD-RW drive and headhone jack. Maybe they don't have best specs (especially the phone) but I'll rater have headphone jack then ex. 8k camera. Like imagine using f***ing mobile data to listen to FM radio. Also if you want to listen to 3.5mm headphones on non-heaphonejacked phone you need dock, and unless it has good dac it will produce terrible audio. And when listening to music I can't change my phone, unless I buy THICC "dock" that looks like it's going to unplug every millisecond and is to big for normal use. Also, imagine laptop without DVD driv- I mean without normal USB port. Can you stand needing dock to littearly plug in normal-sized usb?!? Thunderbolt is cool, but it sucks when you don't have normal ports.  And you know who started trend of ultrabooks having less ports than eepc netbooks? Apple. They also started trend of non-heaphonejack. F*** them

i feel this pain... btw the moto z4 also has a headphone jack and Motorola basically puts them at a 50% discount when they release the next one.

me and my father both got moto z3s for $200

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard