More RGB. Corsair just released their new RGB power supplies.

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

Corsair just released new fully modular RGB power supplies with a 80+ Bronze rating.

Quotes

Corsair has launched its CX-F RGB Series power supplies. The firm says that these are PSUs designed to deliver "reliable 80 PLUS Bronze efficient power to your system, alongside vibrant customizable lighting from a 120mm RGB fan boasting eight RGB LEDs". These fully modular PSUs are being made available in 550W, 650W, and 750W models with your choice of black or white casings.

As the aRGB features are a first for Corsair PSUs, let us look at this closely first. From Corsair's description it looks like the RGB frills offered by these PSUs are entirely based upon the fan installed. The PSUs use a 120mm fan with eight addressable RGB LEDs. Hooked up to a Corsair iCUE RGB Lighting Controller, such as the iCUE Lighting Node PRO or Commander PRO, you can use iCUE to fully customise and sync your PSU lighting. Another choice is to use the included 5V aRGB adapter for motherboard-powered RGB lighting control. Lastly, and most simply, you can press a button on the PSU to cycle through 9 RGB lighting presets.

e0c21cf6-d5fa-4de8-bc7e-4ed377cf08c6.jpg

My thoughts

Finally Corsair realised how much performance they're losing by not including RGB in their power supplies. Still, the prices are actually in line with non RGB fully modular PSU's which might make this actually worth buying when you're not paying a huge premium for the RGB. They are only 80+ Bronze rated though, meaning that it's less efficient. If it ends up in the same tier as the CX gray then it's a really promising choice. Also oddly the video for these new PSU's is currently unlisted.

Sources

Hexus

Couldn't you do this yourself already? Like, remove the stock fan and replace it with a RGB one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Couldn't you do this yourself already? Like, remove the stock fan and replace it with a RGB one.

That's kind of jank, having cables sticking out of your PSU where it shouldn't stick out, not to mention the voided warranty, and a sprinkle of risk of electrocution.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's kind of jank, having cables sticking out of your PSU where it shouldn't stick out, not to mention the voided warranty, and a sprinkle of risk of electrocution.

Lol, thats why I have a lot shit ton of electrical tape. just unplug the PSU for a couple weeks, and electrical tape everything metal.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, gloop said:

So the same internals as the CX but with an RGB fan?

yea interested to know too, why RGB-fy a mid-range product

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Was expecting at least some accent lines and such on the case itself, not just a fan thrown in...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea interested to know too, why RGB-fy a mid-range product

Maybe because people who have mid-range budgets like RGB too?

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

Maybe because people who have mid-range budgets like RGB too?

but not high end?

I really do not understand the need to RGB everything, most cases hide the power supply behind a shroud and if you really needed under-case lighting you could achieve a better result with diffused RGB strips

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

but not high end?

Last I checked there are plenty of high-end RGB power supplies out there. Kind of hard to find a good mid-range one where you aren't sacrificing a ton on quality to get the RGB. I think it's nice to see a good mid-range PSU with some RGB put on it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Last I checked there are plenty of high-end RGB power supplies out there. Kind of hard to find a good mid-range one where you aren't sacrificing a ton on quality to get the RGB. I think it's nice to see a good mid-range PSU with some RGB put on it.

yea but afaik, corsair doesnt offer any

but good point

how long before manufacturers start advertising not having RGB as a feature...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

this will probably be a good budget modular psu

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

the white ones will sell well, white builds with white psus are pretty popular these days. i dont get how youre gonna see the rgb from the power supply in most cases as there will be a psu shroud in the way. in cases with psu shrouds that have little windows, like many phanteks cases, you still wouldnt see the rgb. rgb has gone off the deep end for pc parts but ill admit a nicely diffused rgb design on the side of a psu could look nice, like a logo or something. dont those rog thor psus have something like that? or is that just the poorly located watt meter

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

In this instance, it's probably less about "Buy why?" and more about giving users more options to check off RGB on everything even if it doesn't make sense (RGB SSD's and 24 pin cables)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, gloop said:

So the same internals as the CX but with an RGB fan?

No. It's not a CX with a different fan. Completely different power supply, different manufacturer. The CX-F is its own product.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

what's the point? 

Case underglow? You can't even see the fan in most builds anyways

To make the most of the RGB the fan should be mounted facing inwards in a case without a PSU shroud.

If you have a case with a PSU shroud that hides the power supply then don't buy an RGB PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

To make the most of the RGB the fan should be mounted facing inwards in a case without a PSU shroud.

Depends on how the PSU is designed. Some PSU 12V EPS cable just wont reach from behind the motherboard if you put it with the fan facing upwards because then the cables on the PSU are exiting closer to the side panel rather than close to the motherboard.

I've seen many PSUs that have this problem and I am not talking about cheap offbrands. Maybe Corsair considered this and made longer cables, I don't know but its an issue you may not be aware of before you buy the unit and especialy if your motherboard has the EPS in some odd spot instead of right on the top and you also have a large case.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

They are only 80+ Bronze rated though, meaning that it's less efficient.

FYI all of the CX-F units were actually rated 80+ Silver, but all the packaging and marketing was set for 80+ bronze by the time they submitted final units for testing, at least according to JonnyGuru

Screenshot_20200926-033624_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4af43ca64ba2c3ea71673cfea4a4f0d0.jpg

16 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Depends on how the PSU is designed. Some PSU 12V EPS cable just wont reach from behind the motherboard if you put it with the fan facing upwards because then the cables on the PSU are exiting closer to the side panel rather than close to the motherboard.

I've seen many PSUs that have this problem and I am not talking about cheap offbrands. Maybe Corsair considered this and made longer cables, I don't know but its an issue you may not be aware of before you buy the unit and especialy if your motherboard has the EPS in some odd spot instead of right on the top and you also have a large case.

That really depends on your case and how you route your cables.

Corsairs type 4 EPS12V cables are typically 650mm long, and I assume that's what these power supplies are using. If cable length is a concern for you wait for reviews which will list the cable lengths or contact Corsair support.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Summary

Corsair just released new fully modular RGB power supplies with a 80+ Bronze rating.

Quotes

e0c21cf6-d5fa-4de8-bc7e-4ed377cf08c6.jpg

My thoughts

Finally Corsair released how much performance they're losing by not including RGB in their power supplies. Still, the prices are actually in line with non RGB fully modular PSU's which might make this actually worth buying when you're not paying a huge premium for the RGB. They are only 80+ Bronze rated though, meaning that it's less efficient. If it ends up in the same tier as the CX gray then it's a really promising choice. Also oddly the video for these new PSU's is currently unlisted.

Sources

Hexus

The power of unicorn barf, is strong with this one

I thought they already had those. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I thought they already had those. 

I know Thermaltake did, I don't think Corsair did though.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: