Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel

My unpopular opinion?

I don't have any, because I'm never wrong.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Programming.  I don’t even go near programming myself.  I’m on a much lower level.  Got a friend who does though, and used to be a Solaris dude.  A systemD hater if that makes any sense.  He runs small board stuff now. Pis and Beaglebones and stuff.  Has the advantage that the things are stupid cheap and the size of a pack of cigarettes.  It’s what he got into anyway.

In UNIX, everything is supposed to be a File and there are good reasons Config Files were were simply Text you could make needed changes with any Text Editor.

That UNIX basically follows the KISS Principle of Engineering. System D is really Complex for a Init Script.

3 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

My unpopular opinion?

I don't have any, because I'm never wrong.

...or naive enough to believe that the popular opinion is always the correct opinion.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

...or naive enough to believe that the popular opinion is always the correct opinion.

"Correct opinion" is a misnomer. Either something is objective - i.e. a matter of fact where any given answer is right or wrong - or subjective - i.e. a matter of opinion with no overarching right or wrong and only what the individual believes to be 

This blurring of the boundaries between fact and opinion seems to be a cause of a lot of conflict at the moment, considering the same issue can often involve things which are both, and people often want to either present their opinion as fact, or claim that a fact is a matter of opinion so that they can claim it is incorrect.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

"Correct opinion" is a misnomer. Either something is objective - i.e. a matter of fact where any given answer is right or wrong - or subjective - i.e. a matter of opinion with no overarching right or wrong and only what the individual believes to be 

This blurring of the boundaries between fact and opinion seems to be a cause of a lot of conflict at the moment, considering the same issue can often involve things which are both, and people often want to either present their opinion as fact, or claim that a fact is a matter of opinion so that they can claim it is incorrect.

True.  Wasn't meaning to blur the lines there.  I see "correct" as "supported by historical and factual data".  Because facts don't care about your feelings.  There really isn't much conflict or controversy if both sides come to the table with the willingness to agree that the side with the preponderence of data to underscore the position--is usually the correct one.

...but we all know that such openness and willingness to see one's own position invalidated--requires maturity, intelligence, and refusal to ad-hominem defame the holders of opposing views...  Something that is quite lacking in society at present.

Milk is the best drink to combat spicy food because it does the job and it is in most people's homes compared to alternatives that may do a better job aka honey and others

I have a rule about discussing politics. Basically intelligent people don't discuss politics. We discuss issues like intelligent people. Politics are for politicians.

Basically I don't care what your "politics" are as long as you can articulate your point of view rationally with logical recourse. You should be passionate about your facts. 

6 minutes ago, wseaton said:

I have a rule about discussing politics. Basically intelligent people don't discuss politics. We discuss issues like intelligent people. Politics are for politicians.

Basically I don't care what your "politics" are as long as you can articulate your point of view rationally with logical recourse. You should be passionate about your facts. 

This is exactly the attitude people have been taking advantage of lately.  The trick is to attempt to mix the concept of fact vs opinion.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:49 AM, Bombastinator said:

I’ve seen worse.  You’ve got to watch some very early doctor who or very bad 70’s Saturday morning cartoons

Glad to know that worse exists.

17 minutes ago, HeroRareheart said:

Glad to know that worse exists.

There’s an entire genre.  Some things are actually intentionally bad.  Any later trauma pictures stuff, “barn of the blood llama”, and “night of the lupus” come to mind.  One doesn’t choose llamas or rabbits for horror movies by accident.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

This is exactly the attitude people have been taking advantage of lately.  The trick is to attempt to mix the concept of fact vs opinion.

Well that obfuscation is fairly easy if you devise a method of preventing facts which would countermand your position--from ever being brought up.  And you do that with flippant accusations of bigotry (of any type).  Once you do that, facts are off the table, and you can make up whatever you want.

39 minutes ago, IPD said:

Well that obfuscation is fairly easy if you devise a method of preventing facts which would countermand your position--from ever being brought up.  And you do that with flippant accusations of bigotry (of any type).  Once you do that, facts are off the table, and you can make up whatever you want.

It’s a method.  There are several. 

i can fully say now. psn fan base is beyond toxic...

since oct last year to this jan.

i gotten 6 death threats from ps5 fan boys on reddit.

for the most simple  comments.

like to small storage,no atmos support or bad ps5 head phones compare to last gen....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

45 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i gotten 6 death threats from ps5 fan boys on reddit. for the most simple  comments.

like to small storage,no atmos support or bad ps5 head phones compare to last gen....

wtf? thought most of those would be on xbox live. Also did they ever fix or able to add more storage to the PS5? While can you only use ps5 headset or any bluetooth ones? If they have limited that, that would suck.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

wtf? thought most of those would be on xbox live. Also did they ever fix or able to add more storage to the PS5? While can you only use ps5 headset or any bluetooth ones? If they have limited that, that would suck.

the people that where like that moved to ps brand .. its gotten far far worst now.

on blue tooth am not sure yet. seeing i know ps5 official head  set was great. ps5 version is vastly  worst

there cheap version of 3d audio not been great what so ever. compare to ps3 and 4 version.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

12 hours ago, cosmoxp said:

Milk is the best drink to combat spicy food because it does the job and it is in most people's homes compared to alternatives that may do a better job aka honey and others

Yeah theres a scientific reason for that.
And yes its about the best at compared to anyhting.

Also milk is so good.
It's actually too good for people, making it bad again. One could live of milk and nothing but milk. (would not suggest it!)

One of many places they tell you the bad (and the good) of milk.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/is-milk-bad-for-you-heres-what-the-science-says

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Anime is overrated and being a weeb is not a personality trait. Don’t @ me.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

57 minutes ago, FakeATF said:

Anime is overrated and being a weeb is not a personality trait. Don’t @ me.

I will agree that much of it is. Some also isn’t though. Like any genre there is stuff that is better than other stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I will agree that much of it is. Some also isn’t though. Like any genre there is stuff that is better than other stuff. 

King of the Hill was a better anime than Simpsons, and South Park is bottom of the barrel. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

King of the Hill was a better anime than Simpsons, and South Park is bottom of the barrel. 

I liked the simpsons till I watched the family guy crossover. The point made was that the simpsons was a lot like family guy, just less out there.  I did not like family guy. I wasn’t a fan of king of the hill either, but mostly because it reminded me of growing up in Fargo ND, which was kind of a shit hole.  (Haven’t been back in many many years.  It may have gotten better) South Park if feel is spotty.  They can do interesting things but sometimes it’s just awful.

32 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

so you say that being an american is not a trait either? 😛 as in quality, then yes a lot of anime is overrated.

Team America OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQ5678cJU8

I am an American. I don’t base my personality and hobbies on the fact that I am.

36 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Well shit. Gotta rescind my statement now. King of the Hill was a pretty damn good show anime.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I liked the simpsons till I watched the family guy crossover.

My family watched Simpsons religiously. I never liked it much, partially just because of that. Family Guy was fun for a little bit, then it was the same stuff over and over again, much like Simpsons. Same jokes, different build up pretty much. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

1000% disagree there.  About season 10, SP stopped being about "little kids cussing like sailors" and started being about current events.  And that's when the show became one of the best cartoons ever.  Like the Tiger Woods PGA Golf episode.  Or Make Love Not Warcraft.  Or the "Mr. Garrison as Donald Trump" season.  Or Tegridy Farms *TM* making a "special" blend of pot for key events.  Or the Post-Covid episode--where covid has been going on for 40 years.  Or Cartman buying up the license for the Washington Redskins.  Or Butters trying to get everyone to buy NFT's. 

Sorry, but South Park is genius these days. 

You can like art but dislike the artist. It is perfectly fine and boycotting art because of the artist’s beliefs is stupid. 

Some examples

the writer is homophobe, but his books are great and fun? Yes I will read them and like them unless writer is pushing his agenda aggressively in the books. 
Musician is racist, but his music is pure art? Hell yes, I will listen to that music and again no racist themes are in the songs. 
Guitar player is self righteous ass****, but his compositions are great? Yes, I will listen to them.