Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Minimum wage real buying power has been going down since the seventies.

The number of people being paid minimum wage has been going down too, so whats it matter what the min wage is?

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

The number of people being paid minimum wage has been going down too, so whats it matter what the min wage is?

1-2 dollas over the strict legal minimum is the American Dream. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The median hourly wage is 3 times higher than federal min wage. The top 10 most common job occupation pay nearly, or more than, double federal min wage. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#00-0000

The Federal Minimum wage is kinda useless. Many states have higher minimums. Michigan for instance is $9.87/hr. The reason people are all up in arms is because people cant live on these wages. Considering occupations that paid the minimum were considered "Essential" during the pandemic, maybe those people are not as useless as people thought, maybe they deserve better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The Federal Minimum wage is kinda useless.

thats, uhh, kinda my entire point. Nearly everyone is already paid way above min wage, so whats the point of even having it?

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Considering occupations that paid the minimum were considered "Essential" during the pandemic

Which occupations are you referring to here? Maybe some very small grocer in a tiny town maybe? Only people being paid close to minimum wage are those in tiny towns or those living in cities with unusually high min wage.

Just now, poochyena said:

Which occupations are you referring to here? Maybe some very small grocer in a tiny town maybe? Only people being paid close to minimum wage are those in tiny towns or those living in cities with unusually high min wage.

Fast food, retail, you know the generally occupations where you're treated like shit and not paid enough for the trouble. 

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

thats, uhh, kinda my entire point. Nearly everyone is already paid way above min wage, so whats the point of even having it?

There are states who dont have a minimum wage or have ones lower than the Federal minimum. Generally states that vote a certain way.. Wink wink... Nudge nudge. Even with states that have higher, most of them dont have one where you can live off of. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

48 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Fast food, retail, you know the generally occupations where you're treated like shit and not paid enough for the trouble. 

The source I posted showed fast food workers making around $12/hour and retail $14/hour. Thats a lot more than minimum wage.

52 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

There are states who dont have a minimum wage or have ones lower than the Federal minimum. Generally states that vote a certain way.. Wink wink... Nudge nudge. Even with states that have higher, most of them dont have one where you can live off of. 

ok? What does it matter if people can't live off of minimum wage or not?

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

The median hourly wage is 3 times higher than federal min wage. The top 10 most common job occupation pay nearly, or more than, double federal min wage. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#00-0000

Median is an interesting number. It’s not an average, it’s the middle.  Sometimes a mean is very close to an average, sometimes it’s not.  Sometimes it is a useful number, sometimes it is misleading. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The "main way to play MMOs", I'm always doing something else making things take a lot longer because X thing is not unlocked yet or that what you do now is useless because of a thing later on, and should really only do that thing or do a thing in a certain way. MMO's where you need to know about the game to play, not to learn or test, but to get involved with the game to progress or to progress faster. To how RTS often can be, just find the meta way of doing things and just go that way to win. (in higher skill level or difference, might have less of an impact).

Also certain aspects that just makes you feel it was pointless to do said thing in an MMO, either because you could have done something better, done it later, or done it differently, or that grind was removed or wasn't supposed to be a grind in the first place , so that everyone else or paid people can get it easier, or by not needing to do anything.

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Because if they can't live on minimum wage, the state either has to top it up with benefits or let people starve/freeze. Neither of those options are very good.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I am tired of this pronouns trend. I am completely fine if I see eg. male person’s profile  which wants to be addressed as “she” and address it so. But is it really necessary to specify default pronouns for obvious cases?

15 hours ago, poochyena said:

I guess your blatant disregard for poor people and your classist attitude is an unpopular opinion, so you're at least on topic 🤦‍♂️

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

19 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Because if they can't live on minimum wage, the state either has to top it up with benefits or let people starve/freeze. Neither of those options are very good.

9 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I guess your blatant disregard for poor people and your classist attitude is an unpopular opinion, so you're at least on topic 🤦‍♂️

You... realize there are countries with no minimum wage at all... right? And that they are doing just fine?

I just really don't get the logic here. 99.999% of people in the US would see absolutely no change in their life if min wage dropped to $0. You guys are acting like people would starve if min wage went down because ??? reasons??

17 hours ago, Niksa said:

I am tired of this pronouns trend. I am completely fine if I see eg. male person’s profile  which wants to be addressed as “she” and address it so. But is it really necessary to specify default pronouns for obvious cases?

totally agree. The asking for pronouns that everyone under 25 seem to be doing irl is just weird to me. Feels so weirdly personal to.

49 minutes ago, poochyena said:

You... realize there are countries with no minimum wage at all... right? And that they are doing just fine?

I just really don't get the logic here. 99.999% of people in the US would see absolutely no change in their life if min wage dropped to $0. You guys are acting like people would starve if min wage went down because ??? reasons??

totally agree. The asking for pronouns that everyone under 25 seem to be doing irl is just weird to me. Feels so weirdly personal to.

Those other countries with no minimum wage are not infrequently terrifying places. Minimum wage isn’t as important when there is a labor shortage like there is right now.  The us unemplyment rate has been above 10%. The issue is perhaps an absurdly low minimum wage is unimportant.  Minimum wage is a floor type protection to keep owners from grossly abusing laborers in a time of labor surplus.  We don’t have one right now, so of course it looks pointless.  Moreso since it’s so low.this was originally about tipping.  So against tipping, and against minimum wage.  The progression is usually those, then workplace safety, then slavery.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Those other countries with no minimum wage are not infrequently terrifying places.

What do you mean? They have the highest quality of life in the world by many metrics.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Minimum wage is a floor type protection to keep owners from grossly abusing laborers in a time of labor surplus.

Does it really? I don't think so. I believe it keeps people complicit. It makes people think they don't deserve more pay. If there was no min wage, it would encourage people to demand for higher wages more naturally. Right now people think a job offering min wage means people should be happy to even be getting that. Without min wage, it gets rid of that baseline to compare to, giving people more will to ask for me. This is evident by the European countries with no min wage.

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

What do you mean? They have the highest quality of life in the world by many metrics.

Does it really? I don't think so. I believe it keeps people complicit. It makes people think they don't deserve more pay. If there was no min wage, it would encourage people to demand for higher wages more naturally. Right now people think a job offering min wage means people should be happy to even be getting that. Without min wage, it gets rid of that baseline to compare to, giving people more will to ask for me. This is evident by the European countries with no min wage.

Re: high quality of life

Ah.  Sarcasm.  I often can only see it when it is extreme like here. 

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

Ok for one, those countries have functioning unions that fight hard on behalf of their respective sectors to force fair compensation. The US is a wasteland after decades of red-scare propaganda that demonized unions. You don't get to argue US employees would be better off without minimum wage when they also have an utterly miniscule number of unions. To ignore that and just say "well there is no minimum wage stipulated by law in many successful countries" is dishonest when it's just an undeniable fact that without some kind of pushback against employers, it's a race to the bottom. You're ignoring massive swaths of economic realities and for what? To suck billionaire cocks and justify someone earning more in a week than others earn all year? 

Second, you asked (paraphrased) "why should it matter if someone can't survive off of minimum wage alone" and that's just such a tone-deaf line of reasoning that I'm surprised anyone has to spell this out for you: If someone works full time and that job pays so little that they can't even sustain themselves and are dependent on government handouts, that's a fucking problem. Go tell someone who earns minimum wage and struggles to make it through the month "well why should you be able to live comfortably off of your minimum wage work?" and they'd have all the reason in the world to smack you.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: high quality of life

Ah.  Sarcasm.  I often can only see it when it is extreme like here. 

5 out of 11 of the countries with highest quality of life have no strict minimum wage laws https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

4 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Ok for one, those countries have functioning unions that fight hard on behalf of their respective sectors to force fair compensation.

mmmhhmmmm

The US is a wasteland after decades of red-scare propaganda that demonized unions.

mmmmhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

is dishonest when it's just an undeniable fact that without some kind of pushback against employers, it's a race to the bottom.

wow, I wonder if that would possibility have ANYTHING to do with those two previous things you mentioned.
People are paid less because they want to be paid less. People here are so reliant on min wage laws as a guide to what they should be paid that they just don't care enough to demand higher wages.

If someone works full time and that job pays so little that they can't even sustain themselves and are dependent on government handouts, that's a fucking problem.

I agree. They should get a different job or unionize. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you can't get a decent paying job while living in a rich nation. Also, I see no problem with the government paying those people to survive who are physically or mentally unable to perform most jobs.

Go tell someone who earns minimum wage

uhhhh.... who? Whose making minimum wage in this economy?

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

5 out of 11 of the countries with highest quality of life have no strict minimum wage laws https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

mmmhhmmmm

mmmmhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wow, I wonder if that would possibility have ANYTHING to do with those two previous things you mentioned.
People are paid less because they want to be paid less. People here are so reliant on min wage laws as a guide to what they should be paid that they just don't care enough to demand higher wages.

I agree. They should get a different job or unionize. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you can't get a decent paying job while living in a rich nation. Also, I see no problem with the government paying those people to survive who are physically or mentally unable to perform most jobs.

uhhhh.... who? Whose making minimum wage in this economy?

A weak statistic.  Means a majority of them do.  They all have various things that do what minimum wage does.  One poster is saying if you don’t have minimum wage you have to have powerful unions for example.  “People are paid less because they want to be paid less”.  That is so very far from reality that I don’t think this person actually believes his own argument.

14 minutes ago, poochyena said:

People are paid less because they want to be paid less.

I'm going to single out this specific sentence here. Because this already tells you everything you need to know about your mindset. In your simplistic world view, poor people are poor because they choose to be. The system is fair and balanced and anyone not making it must be clearly be doing something wrong. You'd have to have a marvelously twisted view of reality to come to this conclusion, because this sentence does not make any sense under any circumstances whatsoever. Unionization is but one way to solve the issue and an incomplete one at best. The other is the law. You know, that thing that also grants me a minimum number of weeks per year of paid vacation time that I don't have to haggle with every new employer over, because everybody has to give me those minimum four weeks.

Also, fun fact: Switzerland, the country I live in, is on the number 1 spot of that quality of life list you posted. Our unions regularly bring up enshrining minimum wage into law. This isn't something nobody here wants. Quite the contrary. And it's always fought really hard by employers and their government lobbyists. You're making it out to appear like the fact that we don't have minimum wage laws directly means that we're not interested in it in the first place. Minimum wage laws ensure that the lowest rung of society isn't left behind. Because unions typically only work within single sectors of the economy and not across the entire thing.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

On 4/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, Niksa said:

agreed.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 hours ago, adarw said:

agreed.

I like the solution high German came to in the 14th century:  the formal case has no gender.  Everything is “ihr”.  There just isn’t one.  The informal (which English no longer even has unless you happen to thee and thou people) is gendered, but the formal isn’t.  The whole pronouns thing isn’t an artifact of changing society it a factor of ancient language.  High German is positively modern compared to English.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:42 AM, IPD said:

I would have a hard time patronizing a pizza shop that was referring to thick-crust pizza as "Sicilian".  That would be like calling a Toyota Camry a "Convertible Coupe".

Toyota Camry Solara convertible.

Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible | Short Take Road Test ...

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

6 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

vr is a trend, why people think its the next big thing is beyond me.

Hehehe true, its been the next big thing for 20 years now.

Maybe even longer now, im almost 40 and remember there was a VR stand at the beach pier when i was a kid.
Had a walking thing under it and all. Controllers in your hands and too.

I never got to try it but still, nothing new. When will this become a more usable gadget?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!