Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Mental and physical stamina are both in limited supply.  What the work is and line of work mean the same thing though.

I like 12s because i have more off days. A lot of people dont like it but thats why its my unpopular opinion.

Team Blue. http://Intel.com. Disclosure, I work for Intel but my comments and opinions do not represent the opinions of the company.

19 hours ago, Daethz said:

AMD is dramatically more crashy than intel is on all games

19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Never had any issues with my 2600x. Ive had issues with AMD GPU's in the past but nothing lately. 

19 hours ago, Daethz said:

practically zero game crashes with my old i7 9700k, been getting ctd's all the time with my 5950x

To the point where I think my next pc will likely be a intel.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It does need to have its firmware more often. If one doesn’t do that there can be problems. In general that reportedly more or less completely stopped being an issue with zen3, though zen1 had serious memory persnicketyness issues.  This sounds like it may be out of date.

I certainly have had stability issues with my 2700X but only when running it outside it's 'normal' parameters and messing with boost, voltages, memory speed/timings, etc. When I don't tune it to the edge of performance it's as stable as any non K stock speed Intel I've used. I think that's part of the issue, they're so easy to tinker with it's easier to make them crashy perhaps.

YouTube shorts is stupid concept. Yes, I am aware that they want to compete with TikTok, but FFS we don’t need more vertical video cancer on the internet. 

1 minute ago, Niksa said:

YouTube shorts is stupid concept. Yes, I am aware that they want to compete with TikTok, but FFS we don’t need more vertical video cancer on the internet. 

I don't think that's as unpopular as you think it is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, Niksa said:

Every site now seems like they're trying to do some TikTok rip-off now. YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, even fucking Netflix, somehow.

4 hours ago, Niksa said:

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I don't think that's as unpopular as you think it is.

Yeah, where does that overly INSANE idea come from to have PC users be stuck with over 2/3ds of the screen with black bars.
On mobile its really easy to rotate ones screen, but not on PC. (Even tho i have full movement monitor arms.😄)

Its insanity boggles my mind. Are there really so much people using shitty small screens to watch videos?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Its insanity boggles my mind. Are there really so much people using shitty small screens to watch videos.

You know what smartphones are, right?

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Yeah, where does that overly INSANE idea come from to have PC users be stuck with over 2/3ds of the screen with black bars.
On mobile its really easy to rotate ones screen, but not on PC. (Even tho i have full movement monitor arms.😄)

Its insanity boggles my mind. Are there really so much people using shitty small screens to watch videos?

There are.  The thing is the vertical format often gives no advantage even on those small screens. I rarely watch videos on anything but my phone, but to see a video full frame all I have to do is turn the thing sideways.  Such small screens are held in the hands so they are far easier to turn sideways, and screen rotation is often automatic. I think this reduces visibility for desktop users while not gaining a large amount of phone users.  I could be wrong though.  Time and statistics will tell.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Error 52 said:

Every site now seems like they're trying to do some TikTok rip-off now. YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, even fucking Netflix, somehow.

its also comically bad, bad navigation, worse to deal with and find. to recommending the same trashy content with a few hidden good ones.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

its also comically bad, bad navigation, worse to deal with and find. to recommending the same trashy content with a few hidden good ones.

Says people don’t know why tIctok is popular so there throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Unpopular opinion:

I thought cargo pants were awesome because they had many large pockets.  Fanny packs were also nice for this same reason.  It’s hard to fit a big phone in skinny jeans (also old men look ridiculous in skinny jeans.  One of the things old men get is monkey butt along with hair migration.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  So he’s giving bad advice then?  I wonder how well his statements dovetail with Scientology.  They use a lot of debunked 1950s era Russian school psychiatry. 

Idk how Tom cruise and the Soviets can relate to this but, his fans are going crazy, doxxing people, not taking their anti deppression pills, not trusting actual therapists and making cursed shit like this (yes this is real and youtube won't delete this)Screenshot_2022-04-18-12-23-14-28.jpg.1d0822a0869e5ffad7da4f7188a598b8.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 2:56 AM, VirusDumb said:

Idk how Tom cruise and the Soviets can relate to this but, his fans are going crazy, doxxing people, not taking their anti deppression pills, not trusting actual therapists and making cursed shit like this (yes this is real and youtube won't delete this)

No way that isn't satire.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:56 AM, VirusDumb said:

Idk how Tom cruise and the Soviets can relate to this but, his fans are going crazy, doxxing people, not taking their anti deppression pills, not trusting actual therapists and making cursed shit like this (yes this is real and youtube won't delete this)Screenshot_2022-04-18-12-23-14-28.jpg.1d0822a0869e5ffad7da4f7188a598b8.jpg

1950’s era soviet psychiatry was at best only semi functional and was not uncommonly horrific.  It’s preached by Scientology though that more or less filed off the serial numbers and actually eschew modern western psychology in favor of the old Soviet stuff because it’s to the advantage of the organization.  They hurt people for money.

unpopular opinion: putting grease on your keyswitch is actually optional and you do not need to do this.

Customize the keyboard the way you see fit, not letting others tell you what to do, and that means not having to waste 2 hours of life just sitting down putting grease on your keyswitch. Just use the keyboard!

I've gotten frustrated that there wasn't any other online opinion post about keeping keyboards stock except for some other random Geekhack article that I didn't remember exactly!

23 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

unpopular opinion: putting grease on your keyswitch is actually optional and you do not need to do this.

Customize the keyboard the way you see fit, not letting others tell you what to do, and that means not having to waste 2 hours of life just sitting down putting grease on your keyswitch. Just use the keyboard!

I've gotten frustrated that there wasn't any other online opinion post about keeping keyboards stock except for some other random Geekhack article that I didn't remember exactly!

This is true.  You don’t need lubrication.  Does make things last longer though if the lubricant itself doesn’t break down things, which can happen.  This is one of the great conundrums for automobile U joints.  You fill the U joints with grease and they work great.  The plastic booties eventually break down though, and the grease drains away and then the U joints die.

Tipping is the least talked about and most widespread anti-consumer mechanism there is. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Tipping is the least talked about and most widespread anti-consumer mechanism there is. 

how is it anti-consumer? Its totally optional

14 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Is it though?  I don’t think it’s anti-consumer precisely, though it does alter the payment of workers drastically.  Tipping was a thing brought about in the depths of the Great Depression where resteraunt owners were no longer able to pay their service staff.  The result today is waitrons often make more money in tips than they do from their actual pay.  A $6.50/hr. Job turns into a $15/hr. Living wage job. Waitrons are one of the very few blue collar worker sections that can actually feed themselves.  The problem is people paid like that will go elsewhere so the owner would have to drastically increase salaries or lose their employees. Every “do away with tips” scheme I’ve ever seen comes down to “the owner makes more, the employees make less, and the food costs the same (or more) at the end of the day.”  That’s not anti-consumer it’s just hard on owner pocketbooks.  There are a bunch of things like that that have done a lot more damage.  In some areas the highest paid public officer isn’t the mayor or governor or whatnot it’s the county sheriff, and the pay is multiple times higher.  They often make more than CEOs.  The way that works is again in the depths of the depression a rule was made that a sheriff could pay to house and feed jail inmates and then take the funds set aside for that for himself.  This is why some states have massive jail systems but tiny prisons.  The sheriffs own the jails. They then take MORE than they pay to house inmates and keep the profits.  Which become huge.  Inmates are abused, and taxpayers are fleeced.  And of course some sheriffs become fantastically wealthy.  It’s been made illegal most places but there are still a few holdouts.  That “tough” sheriff was merely a scammer.

Edited by Bombastinator

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is it though?

yes

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think it’s anti-consumer precisely, though it does alter the payment of workers drastically.

of course, but thats an entirely different thing. It sounds like you are just pro-tipping. You don't mention any of the negatives of that though, mainly that the income will be much more inconsistent week-to-week and unequal distribution of tips due to discrimination (whether due to attractiveness, sexism, racism, etc.).

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

yes

of course, but thats an entirely different thing. It sounds like you are just pro-tipping. You don't mention any of the negatives of that though, mainly that the income will be much more inconsistent week-to-week and unequal distribution of tips due to discrimination (whether due to attractiveness, sexism, racism, etc.).

True.  It was an ad hoc thing and as such has problems.  It could have worked out much worse.  It did in some instances.  There are bigger ones around though.  That one is particularly difficult to fix without causing other issues.  Is it on a list of things that need fixing? Perhaps.  It’s not at the top though.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Oh yea it's totally optional if you enjoy getting dirty looks as the waiter/waitress stares at you while you fiddle with the card machine or having your bags thrown onto the ground if you don't tip. But then again is it really optional if a line item called "Gratuity" is automatically added to your bill? So some unlucky soul is going to tip however many % on top of the 15% originally applied.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Oh yea it's totally optional if you enjoy getting dirty looks as the waiter/waitress stares at you while you fiddle with the card machine or having your bags thrown onto the ground if you don't tip. But then again is it really optional if a line item called "Gratuity" is automatically added to your bill? So some unlucky soul is going to tip however many % on top of the 15% originally applied.

Someone who gets upset about not being tipped doesn't deserve a tip in the first place. Not sure what you mean by "Gratuity" is automatically added to your bill. I never noticed that before, but I don't eat out very often.

Here's some missed and resurrected responses

On 4/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, Donut417 said:

Courtesy doesnt exist on Michigan roads. Most of the roads I take the work are one lane each direction. Every day theirs that one DICK HEAD you has his front bumper 6 inches from my rear bumper. Being late for work is not my problem. In my opinion if you get caught multiple times speeding they should require you to take some kind of driving course or something that teaches the law. Speeding is illegal PERIOD. Also these are the same pecker heads who pass a school bus with their lights on, which is VERY illegal. Its so much of a problem they are talking about putting license plate cameras on School busses so they can catch the offenders. In my opinion the issue is not the people following the law and no one should have to be courteous to the people who are not following the law. 

In my opinion we have a fundamental issue in our society where people just dont care. Case in point some guy today was break checking and obstructing traffic over some road rage. He was raging against a dump truck behind him. The dump truck was one of the county road crews, basically the government. Why would any one break check a dump truck or Semi truck? Its because in their screwed up head they think they are above the law and their shit dont stink and that kind of attitude needs to be dealt with. 

That's just sad. Especially the brake checking... foul.

As for the single lane courtesy - turn on the right turn signal, keep to the right, slow down, let em pass - that is the way I was taught, and the way many good drivers I encounter act and (thankfully) passing (crossing lane divider) is allowed in most of Canada afaik.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, Bombastinator said:

All it takes is not paying attention.  Never dropping anything ever is not what people do.  They can drop it less often though. The trick is finding the people that drop it so often they are a problem.

True.

What you are describing is something called hyper vigilance and it drives people crazy.

... googled hypervigilance - I guess that's why I can't drive long distances... an hour of heavy traffic driving and I'm done, feeling sick, exhausted, and very angry. Need to meditate I guess.

As to tunnel vision, believe it or not everyone has tunnel vision.  Most of vision is just memory.  Ask any stage magician.when people get brain damage and experience tunnel vision the part of the brain that is affected is often not the visual cortex.

Tunnel vision as a metaphor for the intense focus with no regards to your surroundings... maybe being irresponsible... or...maybe intentionally ignoring everyone around you.

The latter is a real thing and there is a driver stereotype...

On 4/12/2022 at 9:32 PM, Bombastinator said:

It’s also likely illegal.  Do it too often any you become a problem.  There is an age at which you have to start taking your drivers test every year.  It varies by state.

Sure, there is always a catch, but 'keep right and let people pass' is a rule in most places I've been.

Mandatory testing sounds like a good thing, but I'm not sure I have much faith in it.