Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
6 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

vr is a trend, why people think its the next big thing is beyond me.

XR or rather VR+AR is a thing to be used.

Not a trend in that space but might be more AR focused, to used in jobs to get a better overview of errors and where they are needed and so on.

Like with any type of construction, vehicles, etc. or a bit more business focused.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, poochyena said:

they just don't care enough to demand higher wages.

Or don't know that they can. I for one, work at less than a livable wage in the US ($10 an hour, but when you consider gas+food+everything else being expensive...). One of my coworkers got a raise after asking for it, he had worked there for less than a quarter of how long I worked there. he makes more. I work harder than him, show up on time more often, ensure everything is done correctly more often, and none of these are exaggeration. It takes me 2 hours to do the dishes, because I am the only one who actually scrubs them, everyone else just dunks them then hangs the m to dry. I am thorough. I need money to support my hobbies, interests, transportation costs, etc. I also have Aspergers. As such, I am terrified of failure in a social sense, and cannot bring myself to ask for a raise, as it seems rude. Despite my deserving it. I don't want to be paid less than or equal to the new employees while having more experience and offering better work. The assumption that I "just do not care enough" is demonstrably false.

12 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I am terrified of failure in a social sense, and cannot bring myself to ask for a raise, as it seems rude.

That sounds a lot like "just do not care enough" to me. Weird to complain that someone won't give you something you didn't ask for.

28 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Or don't know that they can. I for one, work at less than a livable wage in the US ($10 an hour, but when you consider gas+food+everything else being expensive...). One of my coworkers got a raise after asking for it, he had worked there for less than a quarter of how long I worked there. he makes more. I work harder than him, show up on time more often, ensure everything is done correctly more often, and none of these are exaggeration. It takes me 2 hours to do the dishes, because I am the only one who actually scrubs them, everyone else just dunks them then hangs the m to dry. I am thorough. I need money to support my hobbies, interests, transportation costs, etc. I also have Aspergers. As such, I am terrified of failure in a social sense, and cannot bring myself to ask for a raise, as it seems rude. Despite my deserving it. I don't want to be paid less than or equal to the new employees while having more experience and offering better work. The assumption that I "just do not care enough" is demonstrably false.

Some people are better at negotiating pay than others.  It is possible to hire negotiators to do that sort of thing for you.  They’re not free, but it may wind up being worth it.  Here’s the question: how willing are you to work somewhere else?   Are there other places to work? Other options? If the answer is yes, the employer has very little in the way of leverage.  Finding people to do work is pretty hard right now in my country.  It’s quite close to full employment. It is worth keeping in mind that the way employers measure labor is how much value does this person produce, and what percentage of that do we pay them?  It never ever goes over 100% at that point it’s better to not have a worker doing that job. Even getting close to 100% is dangerous. That number can be surprisingly high though in some situations.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

That sounds a lot like "just do not care enough" to me. Weird to complain that someone won't give you something you didn't ask for.

Its because here in the US many Bosses will tell you you're lucky to have a job. This is the reason why a lot of companies are hiring but unable to find help. There is also this mentality that if you work hard you will be rewarded. But thats 1940's thinking, now days they will just use you until there's nothing left, without considering a pay increase. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, Bombastinator said:

A weak statistic.  Means a majority of them do.  They all have various things that do what minimum wage does.  One poster is saying if you don’t have minimum wage you have to have powerful unions for example.  “People are paid less because they want to be paid less”.  That is so very far from reality that I don’t think this person actually believes his own argument.

actually not really true, i am from Denmark, EU force a minimum wage onto us, which is not healthy, unions have kept control of a decent "lower" wage level in Denmark, which is why living standards are decent, there has been a shift, of moving people from median to lower income, and "high income" upwards, so a small trend of capitalism which is not healthy, a really BIG median, creates more purchasing power, more jobs.. etc etc.

The Danish system works, because you have a safety net, so loosing your job, does not kill you, you still have healthcare, basic salary and so on, so you don´t stay in poor jobs, because.. why?.. 

but it creates gains for both employer and worker, because if my employee is happier, he/she is more productive, or more innovative. so it is just counting hours. and you get employees where joy and happiness are more important than, who has the biggest paycheck.

And to be honest, i really also think that we as a society has responsibility, i earn above average, so somebody has to earn below, so when you skew the "earnings" you have to support the lower part. because you created it.. and for instance a Jeff Bezos creates a lot of them..

Also therefore i really do not support the ideology that .. don´t talk poorly of the super rich because they create all the jobs. noo there is a "consumption" and it will be filled, instead of Jeff having ALL these companies, and eating all the marked, this could maybe have been filled by 2000 different companies, so you would have more distribution of wealth..

The fun thing there also is, that ARE they really innovators or do they just have the CAPITAL to buy up all the ideas from the actual creators, and to be honest, many of the great thing then dies, because they have so much, instead of that single firesoul could maybe make that idea into a GREAT product.

so when you hit a certain mark, maybe a lot more of the money should be channeled back into sociaty.

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Its because here in the US many Bosses will tell you you're lucky to have a job. This is the reason why a lot of companies are hiring but unable to find help. There is also this mentality that if you work hard you will be rewarded. But thats 1940's thinking,

Which is total BS and they know it. Also how likely so many of these jobs that are not cared for that will be replaced by robots and AI. As seen with the gaming industry, exploited as all hell, just to be laid off and not even paid in some cases... just god awful, to make someone earn a few more pennies for those who "succeeded".

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Which is total BS and they know it. Also how likely so many of these jobs that are not cared for that will be replaced by robots and AI. As seen with the gaming industry, exploited as all hell, just to be laid off and not even paid in some cases... just god awful, to make someone earn a few more pennies for those who "succeeded".

That is why every fast food place and retailer is looking for help. Thats why every time we go to Kroger its a long ass wait for checkout because they only have one lane open. This is why many companies are "hiring" but they say no one is applying. People have been fucked over by the labor market and thats why the labor market is going to suffer. The fact is now days with the internet, ANY ONE can start a business. I recall reading quite a few articles during the pandemic of people either figuring out that their skills they were using to make someone else rich, they could use to support themselves OR people turned that side hustle in to the main hustle. 

On 4/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, Niksa said:

I am tired of this pronouns trend. I am completely fine if I see eg. male person’s profile  which wants to be addressed as “she” and address it so. But is it really necessary to specify default pronouns for obvious cases?

Isn't it weird how Jordan Peterson got lambasted for pretty much voicing this opinion?

And I am sick of randomly invented pronouns of arbitrarily concocted non-words that can change on a daily basis as indicated by whatever bracelet colors the gen Z's are wearing.  Why this country shows deference to 14 year olds on tik-tok "educating" us on the unending myriad of pronouns--baffles me.  The further down the idiosyncratic rabbit-hole we allow ourselves to go, the more likely someone will end up offended because their individual pronouns weren't utilized in the fashion that individual felt like for that moment in time.

And "non-binary" makes no sense to me.  Never will.  Someone was trying to justify this concept as some kind of "masculine <> feminine"  continuum of how a person manifests in dress/appearance/attire/speech/mannerisms.  Not only does that not make a lick of sense to me--but why would you want to try and create monikers for where you fall along such a continuum?  Isn't the point of being an individual manifesting in such a way as you defy all labels?

On 4/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, poochyena said:

5 out of 11 of the countries with highest quality of life have no strict minimum wage laws https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

mmmhhmmmm

mmmmhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wow, I wonder if that would possibility have ANYTHING to do with those two previous things you mentioned.
People are paid less because they want to be paid less. People here are so reliant on min wage laws as a guide to what they should be paid that they just don't care enough to demand higher wages.

I agree. They should get a different job or unionize. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you can't get a decent paying job while living in a rich nation. Also, I see no problem with the government paying those people to survive who are physically or mentally unable to perform most jobs.

uhhhh.... who? Whose making minimum wage in this economy?

I encourage you to try forming a union at Wal-Mart before you start going off half-cocked on how that's the simple fix.

The government should not be paying for people who aren't in the workforce.  Every safety net encourages malingering.  When you have something like 50% of the country taking some form of government handout--you have an unsustainable economic model.  Of course, those prescient enough to understand this and want to do something about it--will be demonized for "wanting to take grandma's medicine away".  So instead--we are on an unwavering course for fiscal ruin.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:28 AM, Donut417 said:

Its because here in the US many Bosses will tell you you're lucky to have a job. This is the reason why a lot of companies are hiring but unable to find help. There is also this mentality that if you work hard you will be rewarded. But thats 1940's thinking, now days they will just use you until there's nothing left, without considering a pay increase. 

Agreed.  Employer hubris is coming home to roost.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Every safety net encourages malingering.  When you have something like 50% of the country taking some form of government handout--you have an unsustainable economic model.

explain

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

explain

Well every safety net encourages less fear of death anyway.  Perhaps it’s the less fear of death that encourages malingering as you put it.

bah.  Quoted the wrong post.  Was trying to quote the person this person quoted.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well every safety net encourages less fear of death anyway.  Perhaps it’s the less fear of death that encourages malingering as you put it.

You think Elon Musk continues to work out of fear of death? Not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

6 hours ago, IPD said:

Every safety net encourages malingering.  When you have something like 50% of the country taking some form of government handout--you have an unsustainable economic model. 

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

explain

Which part?

54 minutes ago, poochyena said:

both parts

Well I figured everything I stated was self-explanatory and transparent, but sure:

Safety nets encourage malingering.  Why?  Because safety nets are designed to compensate for a lack of personal responsibility.  In theory they are targeted at those beset by misfortune and circumstance.  In practice, once the levers controlling the mechanism for obtaining goods/services are known--there will be an endless stream of people who will seek to usurp these benefits without actually needing them or even being in the target demographic for them.  Why?  Because success means that the individual now has shed some degree of personal responsibility--and can kick back, reliant upon the goodwill and bleeding-hearts of others to provide.

--

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillmatthews/2014/07/02/weve-crossed-the-tipping-point-most-americans-now-receive-government-benefits/?sh=749700153e6c

This was 2014, and the estimate was 52%.  Then there's the fact that federal income taxes are a net of 0 (or net negative) for ~47% of the population.  Not that they do not pay any taxes, but that they are not a significant, tangible source of revenue for the largess of the budget.  Even if you subtract those who pay into social security--you're still left with 28% with net 0.

--

Unsustainability is elementary school math to even a novice economist.  If you keep spending more than you take in--you get deeper into debt.  And in strictly emperical terms, if you look at all spending--discretionary and otherwise--over the past 50 years or so, it becomes very apparent where the burgeoning areas are.

9 minutes ago, IPD said:

Because safety nets are designed to compensate for a lack of personal responsibility.

no, a safety net is "a safeguard against possible hardship or adversity", which includes way more than own personal actions.

11 minutes ago, IPD said:

and can kick back

You haven't demonstrated that people actually do this, and its very evident that they don't considering people like elon musk continue to work.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Because safety nets are designed to compensate for a lack of personal responsibility.

I wouldn't call stagnate wages, and rising costs to be lack of personal responsibility. While I know a few people who are leaches on the system and dont attempt to do anything to attempt to dig themselves out or at least work hard to earn those benefits. I know many who just get paid a crap wage, but work hard and need this benefits. You cant just tell people to get different jobs. Some people have to work those crap jobs due to many different types of circumstances. 

Also consider a lot of people who are on government assistance or senior citizens. Medicare does NOT cover everything. So some of them have both Medicaid and Food stamps. 

On 4/28/2022 at 12:50 AM, poochyena said:

Spanish versions of books should not literally translate from English. For example, I am reading the Hobbit for Spanish class. The main character is Bilbo Baggins. The translated it to Bilbo Bolsón. HIS NAME IS BAGGINS. NOT BAGS. 

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

You think Elon Musk continues to work out of fear of death? Not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

I doubt one of the wealthiest people in the world is a good average example.  I have no idea what drives Elon Musk. He’s got more money than he can ever spend on personal needs even when they are absurd, and has for many years.  In a similar position I would never even have founded Tesla.  I would have been gone the moment that big check cleared. Or even before, probably. He is not a man in danger of death from something like inability to pay for food or shelter or medical care.  Lack of safety nets for those in danger of falling though can dramatically alter behavior.  People who languish in them are not a majority though.  A tiny minority at best.  A man worth billions does not have the same stressors as someone who only barely has the means to feed themselves or their children. 

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

no, a safety net is "a safeguard against possible hardship or adversity", which includes way more than own personal actions.

You haven't demonstrated that people actually do this, and its very evident that they don't considering people like elon musk continue to work.

I need to "demonstrate" to you that there are freeloaders in the system?

Ok then.  We're done here.  I don't have time to provide a 2nd grade education to someone on the internet, when 30 seconds of actual mk.1 eyeball use in the real world will prove my point.

Have a nice day.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I have no idea what drives Elon Musk.

So.. what is your explanation then? The rest of your comment just brushes it off and just repeated what you already said. The reality is people continue to work even when not desperate for survival. Will you admit to that now?

9 minutes ago, IPD said:

I need to "demonstrate" to you that there are freeloaders in the system?

no

29 minutes ago, poochyena said:

So.. what is your explanation then? The rest of your comment just brushes it off and just repeated what you already said. The reality is people continue to work even when not desperate for survival. Will you admit to that now?

no

Not quite.  it entirety brushes it off as a useless example of someone who has followed an entirely different set of drivers since birth.  That person grew up in a vastly different circumstance than 99.9% of Americans.  Comparing silver spoon children of socialites to a single mother in an inner city trying to make rent is insane.  Is a safety net for such a person pointless?  Sure.  Because his safety net is much more tightly woven, will likely ensure him a very comfortable position at the top of society , likely lives in a Swiss bank, and was created a very long time ago by ancestors who Did know what it was like to be without one. 

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

it entirety brushes it off as a useless example of someone who has followed an entirely different set of drivers since birth.

useless? What do you mean by that? He's a real person is he not? And you acknowledge he has a different drive in life.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That person grew up in a vastly different circumstance than 99.9% of Americans.  Comparing silver spoon children of socialites to a single mother in an inner city trying to make rent is insane.

oh? Is this to say different people's circumstances in life lead them to have different life outcomes, and thus making broad assumptions based on a few cherry-picked examples doesn't work? Interesting, interesting.

5 minutes ago, poochyena said:

useless? What do you mean by that? He's a real person is he not? And you acknowledge he has a different drive in life.

oh? Is this to say different people's circumstances in life lead them to have different life outcomes, and thus making broad assumptions based on a few cherry-picked examples doesn't work? Interesting, interesting.

It often doesn’t work.  Examples are by definition cherry picked.  This does not mean they are automatically worthless.  Even extreme examples are often useful to illustrate a point.  It was an extreme one that inadvertently proved the adversarial point.   A different one is needed.