Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
1 hour ago, IPD said:

to you that there are freeloaders in the system?

Who's saying there are no free loaders. The fact is there are. But the fact is not all the people on welfare are free loaders, and to say they are is idiotic at best. Also most people wouldn't be on welfare is employers just paid them what they needed to live. In my opinion its not the poor people we need to be demonizing its the large corporations who pay shit wages. In my opinion if your company pays crap wages and most of your employees are on government assistance, then you should be taxed extra to cover those benefits. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I would offer a broader example of people who are truely and completely self made, such as The creator of the Wendy’s restaurant chain.  He was an orphan. Wendy was a childhood friend of his who never lived to adulthood. The restaurant was originally her dream.  Moguls who retire generally create safety nets. If not for the public in general then for their offspring.  Sometimes just for an art form they feel is under threat. Dale Carnigie(sp?)  who besides funding Carnagie Hall created an entire public Library system in his will.  The creator of Wendy’s did so for orphans.  Wendy’s is actually owned by an orphanage.  People who have experienced the need of a safety net often try to create one, sometimes even if they lack the capacity to effectively do so, like many lottery winners.  The entire inheritance system basically assumes that people will of course want to create some sort of safety net for someone. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:39 PM, Donut417 said:

Who's saying there are no free loaders. The fact is there are. But the fact is not all the people on welfare are free loaders, and to say they are is idiotic at best. Also most people wouldn't be on welfare is employers just paid them what they needed to live. In my opinion its not the poor people we need to be demonizing its the large corporations who pay shit wages. In my opinion if your company pays crap wages and most of your employees are on government assistance, then you should be taxed extra to cover those benefits. 

Nobody ever insinuated that everyone on welfare is a freeloader.  Straw man argument.

Yes companies should be penalized for their employees being a sizable contingent of those drawing welfare.

p.s.

I am firmly convinced that charity will step in when we stop the mandated contributions to handouts.

i don't like what channel super fun has turned into.

it just feels like a shadow of its former self, not making fun videos because they wanted to cash in on shit, but because they often wanted to have fun and film the results.

after the volleyball scene video it just wasn't fun anymore, it felt like a modern kids channel.

csf is so much more then that!

and to say that even the videos from 2015 still hold up is an achievement.

I really do think that csf has lost its way and needs some self-reflection on what it is.

hopefully it'll be real fun again and not 'kids channel fun'.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Windows 11 > Windows 10

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

Limbaugh did a really impressive job with that straw man argument thing.  He was a massively  successful collegiate athlete in policy debate right before it went fasttalk.  Then he got cut because he couldn’t do it.  It’s how he wound up as a radio talk show.. host really isn’t the word..  the major difference between policy debate and Lincoln Douglas, the other form, was in theory that straw man arguments were NEVER allowed, even if they were valid. (They can be.  Not always but often) they were generally as valid in practice as the ones policy side used.  The difference between a policy debater and an LD debater was the policy debaters had a massive collection of 3x5 cards with “evidence” on them gleaned from various magazine articles.  If someone printed it it was true.  Didn’t matter if it was the encyclopedia or the National enquirer.  I knew a guy who carted around a book titled “the devils dictionary” for such purpose as a sort of up-the-sleeve last ditch strategy. It was a sport not a search for truth, though every argument started talking about how they would show “the truth” though.  That didn’t change.  You could tell what level the policy debaters were competing at by the size of their stacks.  Some had mere recipe  boxes full of them.  Others waddled around with suitcases, or at his level, probably cargo dollys full.  Paper is heavy.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, IcyByte said:

Windows 11 > Windows 10

This may be a winner for “most unpopular opinion” along with “feces taste delicious”. There is an old joke about academic titles. It goes more or less ‘you all know what BS is right? Well MS stands for “More of the Same” and PhD stands for “piled higher and deeper” ‘ the whole windows thing strikes me as a bit like that.  10 was more annoying and abusive to use than 7, and 11 does the same with 10.  It seems to get worse with each iteration. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This may be a winner for “most unpopular opinion” along with “feces taste delicious”. There is an old joke about academic titles. It goes more or less ‘you all know what BS is right? Well MS stands for “More of the Same” and PhD stands for “piled higher and deeper” ‘ the whole windows thing strikes me as a bit like that.  10 was more annoying and abusive to use than 7, and 11 does the same with 10.  It seems to get worse with each iteration. 

I'm currently on my Windows 10 laptop after my CPU died on my Windows 11 PC and I just prefer the UI of 11. I'm a sucker for rounded corners. Windows 10 also added a search highlights feature while my laptop was off where it just autofills my search bar with some random news. It's really annoying. Luckily I found a way to disable it. I also didn't notice any glaring performance issues even with a Ryzen CPU on launch day. The only performance issues I had is when my CPU started dying.

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

10 minutes ago, IcyByte said:

I'm currently on my Windows 10 laptop after my CPU died on my Windows 11 PC and I just prefer the UI of 11. I'm a sucker for rounded corners. Windows 10 also added a search highlights feature while my laptop was off where it just autofills my search bar with some random news. It's really annoying. Luckily I found a way to disable it. I also didn't notice any glaring performance issues even with a Ryzen CPU on launch day. The only performance issues I had is when my CPU started dying.

There are ways it is probably better.  Security for sure.  It’s unsafe to use win7 on the internet anymore.  The thing was you could actually do it.  The thing does get better looking with each iteration, excepting 8, which was something of a bridge too far.  It was also a bridge to nowhere though so it often doesn’t even get counted. Try and find safe mode on 11, or even 10, I understand it’s even more obnoxious on 11.  without having to look it up though.  If you do it’s very doable.  Just a lot of bizarre contortions. There is just flat out less actual functionality and more data mining crud. 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

10 was more annoying and abusive to use than 7, and 11 does the same with 10.  It seems to get worse with each iteration. 

Until there is no version and all is in the cloud, even for handling your settings.

Own nothing, pay with data, have no rights, become one of us! *6G*

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There are ways it is probably better.  Security for sure.  It’s unsafe to use win7 on the internet anymore.  The thing was you could actually do it.  The thing does get better looking with each iteration, excepting 8, which was something of a bridge too far.  It was also a bridge to nowhere though so it often doesn’t even get counted. Try and find safe mode on 11, or even 10, I understand it’s even more obnoxious on 11.  without having to look it up though.  If you do it’s very doable.  Just a lot of bizarre contortions. There is just flat out less actual functionality and more data mining crud. 

The main issue is the lack of 7 drivers working on 10... why I have to run my NAS on 7. Either slightly more secure or my drives actually work, I'd take the 2nd.

16 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The main issue is the lack of 7 drivers working on 10... why I have to run my NAS on 7. Either slightly more secure or my drives actually work, I'd take the 2nd.

My vague thought was running 7 inside a Linux VM and using the Linux for the security.  I don’t know how that would work though

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Until there is no version and all is in the cloud, even for handling your settings.

Own nothing, pay with data, have no rights, become one of us! *6G*

Office 365 in a nutshell

7 hours ago, lizzeswellness said:

Football is more of America’s sport than baseball is.

This seems to be true measured by water usage usage by toilets during commercials.  More people watch the Super Bowl than watch the World Series.

Edited by Bombastinator

16 hours ago, lizzeswellness said:

Football is more of America’s sport than baseball is.

That's HAND-EGG to you.

p.s.

Yes, it is more American.  Because the rest of the world has more intelligence than to succumb to it.

• 2 weeks later...

They want to push EV's when our power grid cant handle people using air conditioning. 

https://www.michiganradio.org/transportation-infrastructure/2022-05-16/there-might-not-be-enough-electricity-to-go-around-this-summer-in-michigan-that-could-require-planned-outages?fbclid=IwAR0DYm49u53EUDfLnPf19fn9jbzzW_sKtaicdRob6yootrbfNK3PYXicGv8

To pick up the lack of electricity they are going to burn Natural Gas. I thought the point of EV's is to be more environmentally friendly? Burning Natural Gas to produce more power doesn't seem very environmentally friendly to me. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They want to push EV's when our power grid cant handle people using air conditioning. 

https://www.michiganradio.org/transportation-infrastructure/2022-05-16/there-might-not-be-enough-electricity-to-go-around-this-summer-in-michigan-that-could-require-planned-outages?fbclid=IwAR0DYm49u53EUDfLnPf19fn9jbzzW_sKtaicdRob6yootrbfNK3PYXicGv8

To pick up the lack of electricity they are going to burn Natural Gas. I thought the point of EV's is to be more environmentally friendly? Burning Natural Gas to produce more power doesn't seem very environmentally friendly to me. 

Not the first person to come up with this one.  It’s been a fairly common one over the years.  The problem is when you do the math piston engines are so bad that it’s still better.   That has already been factored in long ago.  Even then evs are like 20% more efficient.  The electrical grid is a state by state thing but it is an issue.  The problem is that the system as it sits encourages utilities to not fix or improve things, and it’s been that way for a really long time.  The difference between fixing and not fixing is marginal, but even that tiny sliver seems to have been enough.  Utilities will have to build out capacity. They’re actually legally required to.  They’ve just been dragging their feet hoping for cheaper stuff like solar to get better.  The one that does it last gets the best tech and beats the others.   As for the natural gas thing a natural gas or even an LP using a 60 foot long turbine is still a lot more efficient than a gas piston engine.  Piston engines have massive problems with efficiency ceiling due to the base design.  They can only collect the part of the explosion their piston impinges on. They’ve been trying for a hundred years to do something better.. say two pistons on an explosion instead of just one, but nothing so far has worked well.  It’s true that in the US renewable energy stuff like solar, which electric cars can use but piston engines can’t, is well behind that of other countries.  The big thing about electric cars is they’re sort of by definition multi fuel. They could theoretically run on cow farts.  Sure they can run on sunlight, but they can also run on just about anything a power plant runs on by extension.  If one fuel type gets expensive like I dunno…. GASOLINE they just run on something else.  If the electrical grid was 100% renewable they would be a whole lot more than 20% better.  As it is that’s all we can get though.

Edited by Bombastinator

^ Of course, if we strong-armed the biggest 6-8 motorcycle manufacturers to offer products under $10,000 USD that have an 80mph top speed and a range of at least 100-150 miles on a charge....you might feel differently.

Cost is a massive barrier to entry for most, and Tesla isn't helping that.  But a "commuter only" motorcycle might just help ease fuel consumption, pollution, and traffic....all in one.

1 minute ago, IPD said:

^ Of course, if we strong-armed the biggest 6-8 motorcycle manufacturers to offer products under $10,000 USD that have an 80mph top speed and a range of at least 100-150 miles on a charge....you might feel differently.

Cost is a massive barrier to entry for most, and Tesla isn't helping that.  But a "commuter only" motorcycle might just help ease fuel consumption, pollution, and traffic....all in one.

Roads In Michigan are barely safe for cars, you dont want to ride a motor cycle. Between the dick head drivers and the potholes, you'll end up dead. I have witnessed someone actually get T Boned on a Motorcycle by a large pickup truck. 

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

I wanted a Tesla.  Couldn’t afford one.  I wound up with a used Nissan. I was worried because the range was a good 50% shorter but so far I don’t even need to charge it every day and on a lv1 charger at that (lv1 is standard 110v outlet) my electric bill did go up, but my gas bill is $0. Drive to another state and back no problems other than my butt getting tired from sitting all that time.

Edited by Bombastinator

Just now, Donut417 said:

Roads In Michigan are barely safe for cars, you dont want to ride a motor cycle. Between the dick head drivers and the potholes, you'll end up dead. I have witnessed someone actually get T Boned on a Motorcycle by a large pickup truck. 

Well that's another issue entirely.  In the words of 21 Pilots:

I'm driving here I sit...cursing my government...for not using my taxes to fill holes with more cement

1 minute ago, IPD said:

My memory is they’re spending on fixing crap from the last administration.  The whole poisoning Flint thing was world news.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

my electric bill did go up, but my gas bill is $0

I have a feeling your electric bill will end up going way up in time. Because if they start having to doing rolling blackouts that the power company is going to want more money for charging. DTE for instance is seeking to raise bills by $10 a month. Not sure if the utility commission has approved that or not yet. Also I heard some states are making people keep track of mileage and charing them tax based on how much they drive. On top of the cost of registration fees. Either way you will pay. 

1 minute ago, IPD said:

You're also not looking at the fact you're require an endorsement one your license to LEGALLY drive a motorcycle. That costs money. I mean you can drive one without an endorsement but dont get pulled over or in to an accident because the insurance company might not cover you. Also motorcycles are only good when the weather is good. In the winter you will be forced to put it up for the season. 

Oh no $10.  That’s not even 2 gallons of gas.   It will go up though.  Possibly a lot.  That infrastructure buildout has to get paid for somehow.  It would have to go mighty high to even equal that 20% though.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is when you do the math piston engines are so bad that it’s still better.   That has already been factored in long ago.  Even then evs are like 20% more efficient.  

iirc piston engines are about 30% efficient, an EV only having 50% efficiency doesn't seem that great considering how much electricity is needed to keep a vehicle charged, an F-150 Lighting EV truck can power an average household for up to a week.

As for the electrical grid in the US I don't see it improving unless states were forced to add a lot of solar farms or wind turbines, although mining enough lithium is also another issue if the govt wants everyone to replace their gas car with an EV.