Arm China Goes Rogue, Ex-CEO Blocking the Business

Pickles von Brine

Arm Ltd., owned by Softbank, has a division specially tailored for China, called Arm China. That division used to operate in Shenzen and it cooperated with Chinese customers. Today in a surprising turn of events, we have information that UK-based Arm Ltd. accuses Arm China ex-CEO of blocking its business, as the Chinese division goes rogue. The Arm China division used to have Mr. Allen Wu as its CEO, who was fired back in June. However, Mr. Wu has refused to cooperate and refused to step down from his position, remaining in control of the business without the consent of UK-based headquarters.

Arm’s China boss has been accused of covertly setting up a Cayman Islands private equity fund to raise millions of pounds from Chinese investors, without its parent company’s consent.

It is the latest twist in what has become one of the most gripping boardroom battles of the year. For the past few weeks, Arm, the £24bn Cambridgeshire-based chip designer, has been trying to wrestle control of its Chinese joint venture after trying to oust the chief executive of its Chinese venture.

The battle has turned ugly. On June 4, Allen Wu, the chairman and chief executive of Arm’s China business, was sacked by board members, including Arm and local investor Hopu, The board appointed Ken Phua and Phil Tang as the venture’s interim co-CEOs.

In response, Arm revealed an investigation had uncovered undisclosed conflicts of interest and violations of employee rules. The Chinese venture hit back by calling the allegations groundless and claimed Tang himself had been dismissed May 26 for unspecified “major violations”. Arm China and Wu did not respond to requests for comment.

However, local executives were keen to stress their ambition. In an interview last year, an Arm China executive claimed it had designed a local chip encrypted to Chinese specifications for Huawei’s Hisilicon division. And unbeknownst to the UK leadership of Arm, Wu had been further flexing his muscles.

Sources told The Telegraph Wu set up an independent investment fund, Alphatecture, without prior knowledge of Arm, Hopu or SoftBank. Shanghai securities and SEC documents reveal Alphatecture was registered in Wu’s name, had raised at least $10m, and was based in the Cayman Islands.

Source

Some more info on it from the Telegraph

This is just scary. ARM china looks to have been doing some scary things behind everyone's back. Possibly this could be another ploy for china to get more IP? I am unsure. Either way, this is disturbing. 
If this is the case, this spells out to be a nightmare for the sale of ARM by softbank. It doesn't look good when you have rogue execs causing problems. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

He gets fired yet still is in control?

Dude was like

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

When the lower brain doesnt cooperate with the one above

c3c.png

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

19 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sadly, not surprising. there's a reason why stories of chinese IP/company shanghaiing still persist

not sorry for pun

It's "our" IP, wdym sadly?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Wait what?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nobody:

Absolutely nobody:

Me:

Reveal hidden contents

JUST ABOLISH COPYRIGHT

you mean, just be china?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you mean, just be china?

Pretty sure there's more going on in China... but instead of whining when they take advantage of copyright law by just infringing it with no consequences we can just abolish it to even the playing field. And also because copyright is a sin against art and progress.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

you mean, just be china?

Even China doesn’t do that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Pretty sure there's more going on in China... but instead of whining when they take advantage of copyright law by just infringing it with no consequences we can just abolish it to even the playing field. And also because copyright is a sin against art and progress.

That won't even the playing field, If the playing field has no rules then there is no winner and there is no way to punish those who are causing more damage than good.    Copyright and IP law are essential for development of technology. Maybe someday in the future when wealth has a different distribution model and is generated through services rather than products,  then maybe it can be abolished, but until then,  no guarantees a company or individual has rights to their own research means no research.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You can only go so far by continuously stealing other peoples IP. That will be China's greatest failing; not having people that can innovate, only those that can copy. You'll never get ahead with that mindset. You'll be at best on par.

Maybe that's a good thing. China needs to be stopped.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Copyright and IP law are essential for development of technology.

That is, to say the least, highly debatable. It's not something that can be "proved" or "disproved" as it's very general, but it is safe to say that the case against it is very strong. There are both good reasons why copyright and patents (which is not the same as reward to innovation - those are very, very specific forms of linking innovation (or patents) to rents) could have positive, neutral, or negative effects on innovation, as well as evidence that often it is the latter force that dominates

The conviction that the CP/IP system has a net positive effect on innovation is valid to have, but not grounded on solid evidence. The notion that not only it is good for innovation, but also the only way to foster innovation, is much harder to defend.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That is, to say the least, highly debatable. It's not something that can be "proved" or "disproved" as it's very general, but it is safe to say that the case against it is very strong. There are both good reasons why copyright and patents (which is not the same as reward to innovation - those are very, very specific forms of linking innovation (or patents) to rents) could have positive, neutral, or negative effects on innovation, as well as evidence that often it is the latter force that dominates

The conviction that the CP/IP system has a net positive effect on innovation is valid to have, but not grounded on solid evidence. The notion that not only it is good for innovation, but also the only way to foster innovation, is much harder to defend.

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/03/what-if-we-dont-have-sufficient-intellectual-property-rights/id=56169/

I know a lot of people want to debate it, but the reality is we have almost 300 years of IP law and business to look back on and see that where no IP protection exists neither does the money.   Even in china where IP is questionable at best the products rolling out of the factories are all cheaper copies reducing the value of everything.   They only make money because they make in bulk, anyone who can't match their price on manufacturing has no hope.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's not something that can be "proved" or "disproved" as it's very general

Show one the incentives, and one will be shown the outcomes :).

Humans are self centered first and foremost as a biological instinct.

It's almost as if doing business in a nation with zero respect for intellectual property rights, is a fucking stupid idea.

And yes I realize my own hypocrisy considering my... "downloading" habits. My point still stands.

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

Nobody:

Absolutely nobody:

Me:

Reveal hidden contents

JUST ABOLISH COPYRIGHT

Or, just adjust the laws around it to be slightly more reasonable. Rather than destroying all incentive for innovation and the advancement of society as a whole.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And yes I realize my own hypocrisy considering my... "downloading" habits. My point still stands.

I don't mind hypocrisy, so long as people are honest about it.  I.E we all have flaws and misgivings because no one is perfect.  Trying to argue the entire system of human development should change so one can keep downloading and not put any effort into considering the the system and what those changes would do, is worse in my mind than admitting to certain behaviors but also understanding why they are generally wrong.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/03/what-if-we-dont-have-sufficient-intellectual-property-rights/id=56169/

I know a lot of people want to debate it, but the reality is we have almost 300 years of IP law and business to look back on and see that where no IP protection exists neither does the money.  

The problem is that looking back to those 300 years in fact illustrates the pitfalls of IP and how it has repeatedly stalled innovation.

I can provide a reference on the actual arguments against IP in its current form. It's not necessary to agree with it (at least not with everything; facts are facts still), but if you are interested in understanding that side of the argument to then maybe still disagree, I can pass on the link - and it won't come in the format of a lobby's blog post, but straight from two top economists. As you can imagine, it won't be a 5-minute reading either, though.

On the other hand, if it's going to boil down to a matter of faith, there's no point in doing so, it would be a waste of time.

Just now, mr moose said:

I don't mind hypocrisy, so long as people are honest about it.  I.E we all have flaws and misgivings because no one is perfect.  Trying to argue the entire system of human development should change so one can keep downloading and not put any effort into considering the the system and what those changes would do, is worse in my mind than admitting to certain behaviors but also understanding why they are generally wrong.

I do it because I am broke, bored, and honestly not willing to pay full price for some things.

Games, for instance. If I like a game I've "downloaded", I'll not finish it, and give myself a reason to buy it in the future. If I don't enjoy it.... I'll just delete it an not buy it.

Pretty much the same thing for movies and TV Shows. If I like it, I'll end up buying it so I can have access to it in the future, if not... meh? The only exception I make is exclusivity. For instance, Greyhound. Wonderful movie, but I'm not going to pay Apple for the "privilege" or getting it on only their platform.

A shame, because it's an amazing movie. I'd have bought it if it were on Amazon or any other platform.

32 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Show one the incentives, and one will be shown the outcomes :).

Exactly, and that's why you don't need patents to have innovation (there are incentives to innovation without patents), and why the patent system does indeed harm innovation (it disincentives innovations blocked by patents and encourages rent-seeking stagnation - see for example the history of the steam engine).

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Exactly, and that's why you don't need patents to have innovation (there are incentives to innovation without patents), and why the patent system does indeed harm innovation (it disincentives innovations blocked by patents and encourages rent-seeking stagnation - see for example the history of the steam engine).

I agree to an extent, but the issue is more stupid business executives and less IP law.

Example:

This was an amazing fan project, that CBS hit with a cease and desist, because they were worried it would out-compete STD. The issue here is that CBS executives are fucking morons, not that intellectual property law enabled them to do what they did.

What reason would anyone have, to come up with something new, if anyone else could just steal it for themselves?

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The problem is that looking back to those 300 years in fact illustrates the pitfalls of IP and how it has repeatedly stalled innovation.

I can provide a reference on the actual arguments against IP in its current form. It's not necessary to agree with it (at least not with everything; facts are facts still), but if you are interested in understanding that side of the argument to then maybe still disagree, I can pass on the link - and it won't come in the format of a lobby's blog post, but straight from two top economists. As you can imagine, it won't be a 5-minute reading either, though.

On the other hand, if it's going to boil down to a matter of faith, there's no point in doing so, it would be a waste of time.

I can think of plenty of examples the look that way, but they don't exclude the fact that the existence of that patent still drove humanity forward.  Best example in my mind is James Watt, his patents and control over steam in the late 18th century held back the evolution of the steam train a good 20 years in my reckoning. however that patent was also immense in propelling the industrial revolution forward.   

Please PM them, if I haven't already read them I'll read them later.  BTW, nearly everyone is a lobbyist when it comes to discussions on economies.

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

What reason would anyone have, to come up with something new, if anyone else could just steal it for themselves?

What many from the consumer POV generally do not acknowledge, is that those who start businesses, innovate, and continue to innovate, do so as primarily a means to an end (that is, the construction of personal wealth not otherwise obtainable from a 9-5 job). Moving the world forward is a welcome byproduct, but a byproduct it remains so long as the financial incentives (to the degree they exist in our current economic structure) exist.

The more cynical would call this "reaching for yield" by (primarily) the GenX'ers and older millennials as a function of the demographics structure (T-bills into bonds, bonds into stocks, stocks into private equity / venture capital / self-startup, etc).

Exactly, and that's why you don't need patents to have innovation (there are incentives to innovation without patents), and why the patent system does indeed harm innovation (it disincentives innovations blocked by patents and encourages rent-seeking stagnation - see for example the history of the steam engine).

Hey, if you choose to believe humans prioritize the good of the whole versus the good of the self, you are most welcome to. The European experiment has been useful in many regards on that front - a shame it's about to implode :).

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

What reason would anyone have, to come up with something new

There are definitely profits to be made by innovating, because it gives you an edge, even if temporarily, and boosts your brand image. This puts you on a better position to further innovate and stay ahead. It's something that happens more often than people thinks. And that's besides any other non-monetary incentives, just purely from a business perspective.

On the other hand, if you can patent-block competitors from catching up, you lose your incentive to continuously innovate, as extracting rent form the existing product is more profitable. It also discourages potential innovators from entering the industry.

Once you take that into account, it become clear that the current IP system can only be good in a quantitative sense, i.e., the positive effects in soem cases outweighing the negatives in other cases. That rules out clear-cut, ex-ante dismissals of the case against it.

I find the opposite view, that the negatives outweigh the positives, to be better founded. Either way, discarding the debate cannot be an informed opinion.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Please PM them, if I haven't already read them I'll read them later. 

Sure. In fact I'll leave it here in case someone else is interested - and then I'll stop derailing already, gone too far :P They'll do a better job than me anyway ^_^

Reference: Against Intelectual Monopoly, by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine.

Just now, thorhammerz said:

Hey, if you choose to believe humans prioritize the good of the whole versus the good of the self, you are most welcome to.

I don't think you understood a word I wrote.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't think you understood a word I wrote.

The sentiment is mutual, but I digress. Have a great evening (or morning / afternoon) 🙂.