wet towel at exhaust of PC?

dfsgsfa

why? to keep room cooler

same idea as little cooler with fan blowing wet tissue.

of coz not blocking all airflow, just to catch hot air

but i tried and at least it mentally feels cooler

is this good or bad idea?

you are blowing hot air through a wet towel, how does this help the room to be cooler exactly?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

So long as you're not allowing moisture to build up inside the PC, I see no reason why this would be a bad idea. It might be more straightforward to just run a fan or something though. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Would work well in low humidity, but make sure that no water can get inside your PC.

Otherwise don't bother with it.

Just now, Oswin said:

you are blowing hot air through a wet towel, how does this help the room to be cooler exactly?

The idea is that the hot air exhausting from the PC gets trapped in the thermal barrier (wet towel) and heats the water instead of the air inside the room. I don't think that it would (scientifically) make a huge difference, but it could result in keeping the room slightly cooler.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

same idea as little cooler with fan blowing wet tissue.

The type of thing you're thinking of is typically called a "swamp cooler" and it only works if the humidity-levels are very low where you live. Otherwise, it does nothing. Also, even if you did live in an area with very low humidity, that'd raise humidity-levels in your room and so eventually it might actually make you feel hotter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

The idea is that the hot air exhausting from the PC gets trapped in the thermal barrier (wet towel) and heats the water instead of the air inside the room. I don't think that it would (scientifically) make a huge difference, but it could result in keeping the room slightly cooler.

This would have been something LTT from 2017 would have actually been up for testing :/ 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

the towel will become warmer overtime, i dont see how it would work as a barrier, at least it might be for a short while

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Oswin said:

the towel will be come warmer overtime, i dont see how it would work as a barrier, at least it might be for a short while

Sure, but the towel should continue to absorb thermal energy until it gets too hot, and the water begins to evaporate.

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

hot room -> hot and humid room

as for idea, yea technically you're catching some energy from the hot air to evaporate water, which have more heat capacity

so your room wouldnt heat up as fast

but the room have to be low humidity, as well as well ventilated, or you'll see mold growing soon

man you dont live in a tropical country do you, hot and humid sucks

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Oswin said:

4 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

2 minutes ago, Oswin said:

the towel will be come warmer overtime, i dont see how it would work as a barrier, at least it might be for a short while

The water will turn into vapor, which requires energy, which is taken out of the hot air coming out of the PC, which will lower its temperature.

It's very well explained in this excellent video:

But the effect is rather small!

Edit:
Seems like we got a lot of TC fans here :D

Air ducting would be a solution

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

gets trapped in the thermal barrier (wet towel) and heats the water instead of the air inside the room. I don't think that it would (scientifically) make a huge difference, but it could result in keeping the room slightly cooler.

heat capacity of water is much greater than that of air, same energy (heat output) can heat up great volume of air hotter than that of water

7 minutes ago, Oswin said:

the towel will become warmer overtime, i dont see how it would work as a barrier, at least it might be for a short while

even at extend heat absorbed by towel in this case is too hot and humid, just go and wet it again.

at least it shall delay the heating process

if you then throw the towel outside or something it might work but i feel like it will just make your pc hotter for very little benefit as to the temp of the room. 

get one or two of these instead and have one blowing air in and out of your window thats how i survived in my college dorm with no AC

Lasko Cool Colors 20" 3-Speed Box Fan, Model B20308, Blue ...

You either wet the towel a lot and then you have water dripping everywhere and possibly getting inside your PC, or you wring it out and make it useless. Additionally putting it at the exhaust of your PC is a great way to make sure you stuff up airflow and your PC heats up more and air just escapes elsewhere.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You either wet the towel a lot and then you have water dripping everywhere and possibly getting inside your PC, or you wring it out and make it useless. Additionally putting it at the exhaust of your PC is a great way to make sure you stuff up airflow and your PC heats up more and air just escapes elsewhere

you totally misunderstood the concept.

assume pc has one side of exhaust to make thing simple

wet towel / cloth / socks / what ever is placed outside of pc, so even flooding shall not directly kill a pc, for normal person

that wet substance is not fully blocking the exhaust air and the hot air shall not cycle back to intake

air circulation or AC is the only real solution. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

5 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

you totally misunderstood the concept.

assume pc has one side of exhaust to make thing simple

wet towel / cloth / socks / what ever is placed outside of pc, so even flooding shall not directly kill a pc, for normal person

that wet substance is not fully blocking the exhaust air and the hot air shall not cycle back to intake

Assume a PC is in a perfectly sealed environment and that you don't just slap a wet rag right over the exhaust vent? Yah, that's not how it works.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

39 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

TC fans

what is tc fans?

1 minute ago, dfsgsfa said:

what is tc fans?

TC = Technology Connections

The YouTube channel I linked above ;) 

15 minutes ago, solarflare said:

air circulation or AC is the only real solution. 

seaking alternatives solution is what we shall do.

air con is bad for the world

You'd be lucky to feel a difference with your hand direcly behind the towel exhaust or whatever you wanna call it.

Not worth it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You'd be lucky to feel a difference

even some delay in room heating is already a success, so why not?