Geekbench running on Rosetta 2 in Apple's DTK outperforms the Surface Pro X with native ARM64 Geekbench

captain_to_fire

Summary

Basically, what would a developer do once they receive Apple's Developer Transition Kit (DTK)? Do they immediately recompile their apps to support Universal Binary 2? Probably not as some of them decided to run benchmarks including Geekbench. It shows that even when emulated, the A12Z inside Apple's DTK has faster single and multi-threaded performance over the SQ1 inside the Surface Pro X which has the native ARM64 version.

And yes, an ARM64 Geekbench exists [here]

1283746295_Screenshot_2020-07-01eperm-d995af6e2ef02771-Geekbench5CPUSearch-GeekbenchBrowser.thumb.png.0fb15f0ee049611d1b4a94b38d532421.png1609122314_Screenshot_2020-07-01surfaceprox-Geekbench5CPUSearch-GeekbenchBrowser.thumb.png.fe461d6fe3fac101e1ca5f231670dce9.png

Btw, "Pentium III" under the Surface Pro X is a minor Geekbench bug because Intel never had multi-core processors during the time of Pentium III in 1999 nor will it ever run on 2995 MHz. :P

Developers taking part in Apple's preview of its Arm-based Apple silicon hardware have run Geekbench benchmarks, with the results suggesting it considerably outperforms Microsoft's Arm-based Surface Pro X. 

The Geekbench results show that Apple's Mac mini-like desktop Developer Transition Kit (DTK) with the A12Z Bionic SoC from the 2020 iPad Pro has a single-core score of over 800 and a multi-core score of over 2,900. 

But even running through Rosetta 2, Apple's developer kit scores come in significantly higher than Geekbench results for Microsoft's Arm-based Surface Pro X, which runs on the SQ1, an Arm processor co-developed by Microsoft and Qualcomm. The Surface Pro X scores are around 600 in a single-core benchmark and over 2,600 in a multi-core test. 

As well-known developer Steve Troughton-Smith points out, the results don't look good for Microsoft and Qualcomm, given that the A12Z is based on the two-year-old A12X. 

It's no secret that the Apple Silicon inside their top tier iPhones and iPads are the fastest among phones and ARM tablets.

image.thumb.png.c83e92962152fa3c64e659a77a64c101.png

Since Rosetta translate apps compiled for x86 into ARM during installation which seems to be better than Rosetta 1 which translates a PowerPC app into x86 every run.

image.thumb.png.ab66b0d01e5ed95279071e7592df1d57.png

However, it should be noted that the difference is not that big since Rosetta 2 will always have performance penalties. In fact when it comes to single core performance, Geekbench running on Rosetta 2 is still significantly slower than the iPad Pro because even with the same chip running the same app.

image.thumb.png.42bfaeca78b088b047d2993cd73e4ad8.png

It should be kept in mind that Apple is not going to sell a Mac with A12Z as the DTK is only meant for developers to recompile their apps to support Universal Binary 2. After that, they have to return the DTKs to Apple. I for one will be looking forward to how their own silicon will perform against something like a 16" MacBook Pro with an i9 or a mobile Ryzen 4000 in Windows PCs.

image.thumb.png.a1f081c6bb29461dfe007be1177d5634.png

With that said, looks like Microsoft isn't going down without a fight, or do they even want to fight? Wccftech spotted a Geekbench result showing an upcoming Surface Pro X with a seemingly upgraded CPU but it looks like only little has changed. No wonder reviews on the Surface Pro X have been quite lukewarm. If Microsoft is really serious with Windows 10 on ARM being competitive against the upcoming slew of Macs with Apple Silicon, they either have to price it low or just get an ARM license and do things the Apple way. You know what they say, "you want to get things done, you gotta do it yourself because a good help is hard to find nowadays." :P

Upgraded-Surface-Pro-with-Snapdragon-8cx

Sources

Zdnet, Geekbench: DTK with A12Z, Surface Pro X, iPad Pro, wccftech

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

If only we were able to run these benchmarks on the iPad, it would very interesting to compare the results

Geekbench and some other benchmarks are available on the App Store 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/geekbench-5/id1435082259

ARM is the future. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The chip inside the developer kit isn't going to be the final product though, it's just the IPad Pro's arm chip inside a Mac mini chassis running Big Sur, the released arm processors will be different from that one. And we already knew that the A12Z outperformed the SQ1 from benchmarks when it was in the IPad pro.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

ARM is the future. 

I hope Intel releases a core i9 ARM chip with hyperthreading 

35 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

The chip inside the developer kit isn't going to be the final product though, it's just the IPad Pro's arm chip inside a Mac mini chassis running Big Sur, the released arm processors will be different from that one. And we already knew that the A12Z outperformed the SQ1 from benchmarks when it was in the IPad pro.

Someone at Apple allegedly said, "Look what we can accomplish without even trying"

So just think about what Apple can do if they increase the power budget. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

What's going to be my favorite thing about ARM Macs is the introduction of asymmetrical core design like in iPhone and iPad. 

High Performance cores for large tasks and hyper efficient low power cores for basic tasks. Apple also knows how to use all these cores in tandem, so both sets can be active at the same time, rather than one group or the other. 

It's going to be real easy and real cheap to load these future Macs up with cores. 

Emulated x86 performance appears to be quite similar to ~3.0 GHz Haswell territory. Yikes!

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Emulated x86 performance appears to be quite similar to ~3.0 GHz Haswell territory. Yikes!

RIP my 4790k.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Is anyone really surprised? The Pro X runs on a Qualcomm SoC and Apple's SoCs have historically ran circles around Qualcomm's garbage.

That’s why I think Microsoft should just do it themselves by obtaining an ARM license just like Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm. 

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

That’s why I think Microsoft should just do it themselves by obtaining an ARM license just like Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm. 

Honestly? Yeah.

I wish Qualcomm didn't have such a stranglehold on the mobile ARM SoC market because their SoCs are actual trash.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

themselves by obtaining an ARM license just like Apple

They would need to commit to selling ARM windows devices on mass to recover the R&D costs needed to role their own. 

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Also worth noting that developer have been told that the meulation on the A12z is not as good as it will be on the real chips since the A12z does not natively support 4kb page size. Apple have not saide what `not as good` means weather that means might not run some stuff or just slower as it needs to intercept the page reads/writes? that is unknown.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

i9 ARM chip with hyperthreading 

There is not much point in ARM having hyperthreading, your better of saving the die area needed for this and adding more `little` cores.

Visualizza immagine di origine

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Visualizza immagine di origine

I’m waiting for Apple’s future ads once the transition is complete 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Someone at Apple allegedly said, "Look what we can accomplish without even trying"

That's the thing. 

I posted in the last thread in this subject what the geekbench benchmarks were for cpu's that people actually have, and "under Rosetta2" scores, actually puts this closer to a Sandy Bridge CPU (MacMini 2012) which means it's not that unreasonable. Particuarly since it's not the current CPU model.  So if there's really a 40% penalty for running under Rosetta2 under single-threading, that's actually not that bad. Presumably the better software vendors will just update their software and it won't be an issue for most productivity software.

It how ever will require games and video-players (eg VLC) to be recompiled and likely re-optimized since the ARM parts perform at a higher performance level than the Apple iMac/Macbook 13/Macbook Air's without dGPU's. Like you're not going to play a game that uses Cedega/Wine/Proton to run a Windows version to work here, since the installable windows binaries needed would need to be 64-bit ARM versions (though that's very likely to be possible, it just can't benefit from Rosetta2 since it won't be able to recompile a binary it doesn't understand.)

It would be nice however if some games start getting native Mac ports, but somehow I think the opposite will happen and game devs will just start ignoring the Mac platform for anything that's not mobile shovelware.

Considering Mac ARM chips regularly go above 3Ghz this is not a surprise.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think that is a discredit to the people who have worked on it directly or indirectly leading up to this result. It's not like it magically appeared overnight. Apple have worked on this over the years and it is a good result.

As for power budget (assuming same core count), power efficiency goes down a lot faster than performance goes up. While some uplift can be expected, wouldn't expect massive differences.

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

What's going to be my favorite thing about ARM Macs is the introduction of asymmetrical core design like in iPhone and iPad. 

Gonna be fun to see above future vs Lakefield comparisons. 

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

High Performance cores for large tasks and hyper efficient low power cores for basic tasks. Apple also knows how to use all these cores in tandem, so both sets can be active at the same time, rather than one group or the other. 

For sure an advantage Apple has, they have more experience, and control of hardware and software stacks to make it work. 

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Without checking that statement is correct, that is comparing to a 7 year old desktop CPU at this point.

6 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It's not that easy. Doing the work once you have the licence is not trivial. Apple has had years of experience. Thus why MS would outsource or partner that work off. To gain that experience in house will take years.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I hope Intel releases a core i9 ARM chip with hyperthreading 

I don't, the model name will suck so much nobody will even notice it exists.

45 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't, the model name will suck so much nobody will even notice it exists.

core i9-1100H with four big and four LITTLE cores xD

40% drop before you get to AVX and similar is a pretty steep price for any one who is time-sensitive on the compute work. But I do think we all know the vast majority of computers don't actually need their power the vast majority of the time. Unless all you do is run code and/or AAA game lol.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 hours ago, porina said:

Without checking that statement is correct, that is comparing to a 7 year old desktop CPU at this point.

It was only about 5 years old when the A12 chips shipped. 

Still kind of a bit of a wonder that my phone wallops my desktop in single threaded (non-AVX) workloads. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Intel got what it deserved for slacking.

Now do Qualcomm. 

Hope now more R&D goes into other arm platforms so there is actually competition. 

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

40% drop before you get to AVX and similar is a pretty steep price for any one who is time-sensitive on the compute work. But I do think we all know the vast majority of computers don't actually need their power the vast majority of the time. Unless all you do is run code and/or AAA game lol.

Even most AAA games don't push the CPUs much unless you artificially drop resolution and visual quality to try and take the GPU out of the speed equation.