PS5 Design Revealed + All New Games!

gloop

Just woke up to read this.

im noticing some stuff not mentioned in the thread so I’m guessing they weren’t released?

price =?

storage system use and type =?

from the sound of things only outer plastics and a list of games, correct?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Well that was a real shitshow. Horizon, Ratchet & Clank, and especially Demon's Souls all looked extremely impressive, but no date was given for any of them either, which means they're not coming until 2022 or 2023. I was really hoping for the Demon's Souls remake to be a launch title and was kind of expecting it since we have heard rumors about Bluepoint doing this project for at least a couple of years now. Man, only Nintendo ever launches with high-end games it seems. Pretty sure I'll wait until 2023 or so when there is a cheap PS5 Slim to jump on the bandwagon.

Keep in mind that we haven't seen everything, including all the games Activision, EA, Ubisoft and others might offer.  Yes, at least some of them will be "like last year's game, but prettier," but there will probably be more than a handful of games that make good use of your PS5.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

price =?

Not announced, though supposedly there was a leak of £599.99 on Amazon UK. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

storage system use and type =?

Not sure what you mean by this, but it is confirmed to be an ssd and there is a large section about the custom architecture in the road to the ps5 video. 

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Keep in mind that we haven't seen everything, including all the games Activision, EA, Ubisoft and others might offer.  Yes, at least some of them will be "like last year's game, but prettier," but there will probably be more than a handful of games that make good use of your PS5.

Console exclusives would be the main reason to buy PS5 though since XBox Series X is more powerful and Sony keeps dropping leaks the PS5 won't be cheaper than Series X.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

"Digital" doesn't mean "no disk drive" (which would be weird given the hype around SSD). Digital means PS5 "Digital Edition" won't have any optical drive and you'll have to strictly buy and install everything from internet. The normal one will still have optical drive. Which can also bee seen on the revealed image of the console itself. One has the optical slot, the other one doesn't. I wonder what will be the price difference for this alone.

Well call that a disk drive y'know

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Console exclusives would be the main reason to buy PS5 though since XBox Series X is more powerful and Sony keeps dropping leaks the PS5 won't be cheaper than Series X.

Those exclusives could mean a lot even if you buy a system now, though.  Microsoft is still notorious for exclusives that are almost relentlessly mediocre... "we've got ReCore and Crackdown 3!  Wait, where are you going?"

Also, I wouldn't call the XSX uniformly more powerful.  Remember, the PS5 has the storage speed advantage.

There were 4 or 5 interesting games. Overall it was pretty underwhelming. These companies hype the shit out of the new consoles and then can’t live up to it. Unless there is a killer exclusive or two at launch, it is utter pointless getting the console these holidays. Might as well spend on actual holidays if COVID allows us to have one.

No pricing details yet...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

What is this, a competition to produce the worst looking next-gen console!???

38 minutes ago, gloop said:

Not announced, though supposedly there was a leak of £599.99 on Amazon UK. 

Not sure what you mean by this, but it is confirmed to be an ssd and there is a large section about the custom architecture in the road to the ps5 video. 

Re: storage

there has been talk of super low latency storage systems for PS5 who’s effect would be impossible to replicate on older PC equipment.  I’m somewhat dubious.  I think they exist, but whether and how they get used is another question.  This digital version may imply its crap though.   Modern games are big.  That means long load times.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

What is this, a competition to produce the worst looking next-gen console!???

@Commodus had an entertaining comment on that bit.

Design looks like Sony has taken the wifi router meme on PS4 a bit too serious.

Nevertheless, I'll wait for the revision with a more Earthly design

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

To be honest I like this design over the PS3

Also, remember to not pre-order unless you need a unit with the earliest version of the OS for home brewing.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The airflow looks atrocious to be honest. If they want to power 4k gaming and ray tracing that thing is going to run hot and LOUD unless there's some special airflow vent somewhere.

4 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

The airflow looks atrocious to be honest. If they want to power 4k gaming and ray tracing that thing is going to run hot and LOUD unless there's some special airflow vent somewhere.

Possibly.  I notice basically all the edges are almost completely open.  Those kind of schwoopy lines may not be just aesthetic.  It might be a laminar airflow thing.  As per usual “reveals” are designed to reveal almost nothing.

I'm definitely getting one. I love the design. It's different. I don't want another console design that just blends in with "traditional and boring" hardware like blu-ray players and whatever. A lot of people in these forums will always have shallow and irrelevant opinions about consoles and how it's for "kids" or how they're airflow experts, and it's so tiring to skip over them because they just say the same old crap over and over again as if they're proving a point. 🙄 They say "Oh this game looks meh", but when devs announce it's getting released on PC 3 years later, they'll be like "OMG shut up and take my money".

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

Wait...I thought Sony postponed their unveiling event because black lives mattered or something like that?

8 minutes ago, x-eagleeye-x said:

I'm definitely getting one. I love the design. It's different. I don't want another console design that just blends in with "traditional and boring" hardware like blu-ray players and whatever. A lot of people in these forums will always have shallow and irrelevant opinions about consoles and how it's for "kids" or how they're airflow experts, and it's so tiring to skip over them because they just say the same old crap over and over again as if they're proving a point. 🙄 They say "Oh this game looks meh", but when devs announce it's getting released on PC 3 years later, they'll be like "OMG shut up and take my money".

I’ve got a single issue with consoles: game controllers suck ass and even just building games to accommodate their massive weaknesses make games suck too.  “Save points” console thing.  Garbage accuracy? Console thing.  Limited Rez? Console thing.  Ports often fix these problems and make games playable.  The definition of a crap port for PC is one that doesn’t fix the console induced problems.  Mouse and keyboard beat game controllers stupid even with all of THEIR problems, of which there are lore than a few.  It’s so bad the reason console players can’t play multiplayer with pc gamers isn’t the hardware or the software, it’s that the peripherals just suck that hard.

9 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Wait...I thought Sony postponed their unveiling event because black lives mattered or something like that?

It did, the event was moved from June 4th to the 11th.  Not exactly a massive amount of patience on Sony's part, but at least it acknowledged that an event on the 4th would've been tone deaf.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got a single issue with consoles: game controllers suck ass and even just building games to accommodate their massive weaknesses make games suck.  Mouse and keyboard beat game controllers stupid even with all of THEIR problems, of which there are lore than a few.  It’s so bad the reason console players can’t play multiplayer with pc gamers isn’t the hardware or the software, it’s that the peripherals just suck that hard.

No. Keyboard doesn't have travel to control how much of something you want of (walk, sprint, run, run faster, or acceleration if you are playing a racing game). You have fine control, which you don't have on a keyboard. It's all in or nothing. XBox controller are selling very well to PC gamers for a reason.

They are plenty of games that you can play between consoles and PC. The limitation was never because of controllers. It was because console company, until recently, blocked it.

In addition, game controller, with the console, allows unique control experience... on a keyboard, you have... well you have nothing, you have one experience that you have learned from, and that is all. 

That said, keyboard and mouse is also great. It all depends on the game genre you play and your preferences. Racing, platformer? Definitely controller. FPS, sure keyboard and mouse. But the Wii controller where you actually point to shoot (example: Metroid Prime 3), is even better.

Just now, Commodus said:

It did, the event was moved from June 4th to the 11th.  Not exactly a massive amount of patience on Sony's part, but at least it acknowledged that an event on the 4th would've been tone deaf.

Ahh, so mass protests, civil unrest, and a pandemic occurring simultaneously only counts for a weeks wait to Sony...I'm sorry but only waiting one week is still pretty tone deaf. Just shows that all they really cared about was their announcement being overshadowed by the news and not actually caring about the issue imo🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, x-eagleeye-x said:

I think people will have a different opinion once it is physically shown. It is hard to imagine this design presented with 3 model with a white background. It needs to be shown in real life. 

That said, regardless, the looks will not stop people buying any console. You want first party games... you have no choice to get the console that has them. Each console also focuses on a certain genre. So if you like a genre more, go with that console.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

In addition, game controller, with the console, allows unique control experience... on a keyboard, you have... well you have nothing, you have one experience that you have learned from, and that is all. 

I don't know about you, but me play Resident Evil 3 on my PS4 with the controller is one of the most agitating experience in my gaming life.

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

No. Keyboard doesn't have travel to control how much of something you want of (walk, sprint, run, run faster, or acceleration if you are playing a racing game). You have fine control, which you don't have on a keyboard. It's all in or nothing. XBox controller are selling very well to PC gamers for a reason.

They are plenty of games that you can play between consoles and PC. The limitation was never because of controllers. It was because console company, until recently, blocked it.

That said, keyboard and mouse is also great. It all depends on the game genre you play and your preferences. Racing, platformer? Definitely controller. FPS, sure keyboard and mouse. But the Wii controller where you actually point to shoot (example: Metroid Prime 3), is even better.

Notice you didn’t mention mice in that “fine control” thing and want to compare joysticks to buttons.  Compare vector based control sticks to mice and the situation is completely reversed.  the interesting bit here is that while keyboard only control sucks it’s possible where button only control is not possible on controllers.  The last controller I bought was the steam controller.  That was an attempt to fit usable game controls in a controller.  What did it do?  Mostly it exchanges the control sticks for a pair of tiny round trackpads.  Failed in the marketplace.  It actually was pretty good once you got used to it though.

Cute.  Doesn’t wash, but cute.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Notice you didn’t mention mice in that “fine control” thing and want to compare joysticks to buttons.  Compare vector based control sticks to mice and the situation is completely reversed.  the interesting bit here is that while keyboard only control sucks it’s possible where button only control is not possible on controllers.  The last controller I bought was the steam controller.  That was an attempt to fit usable game controls in a controller.  What did it do?  Mostly it exchanges the control sticks for a pair of tiny round trackpads.  Failed in the marketplace.  It actually was pretty good once you got used to it though.

Cute.  Doesn’t wash, but cute.

I didn't forget anything. Re-read what I said.

"Compare vector based control" Fancy words to sound fancy, but you have no idea what you just said.