PS5 Design Revealed + All New Games!

gloop

Now just give me another Insomniac Spyro and I'll buy it day one. I still have put more hours (at this point we are counting multiple weeks) of play into the original three, than probably every other game combined.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Console exclusives would be the main reason to buy PS5 though since XBox Series X is more powerful and Sony keeps dropping leaks the PS5 won't be cheaper than Series X.

Evidence supporting that Xbox is faster than ps5?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Ahh, so mass protests, civil unrest, and a pandemic occurring simultaneously only counts for a weeks wait to Sony...I'm sorry but only waiting one week is still pretty tone deaf. Just shows that all they really cared about was their announcement being overshadowed by the news and not actually caring about the issue imo🤷‍♂️

So how long are we supposed to wait? Just because people took advantage of a situation and started rioting and looting shouldn’t mean that others around the world need to wait for shit. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

sigh okay here we go

image.png.f8b7389d8595185240d3b2b676587c5f.png

Optical drive : disk drive

For layman's terms, yes there is a version of the PS5 that has no disk drive. I've NEVER heard anyone refer to a hard drive or an ssd as a disk drive. I shouldn't touch your reply here but, no, nobody calls a DVD or BluRay drive a hard disk because nobody said that. Only you.

I’ve totally heard hdds referred to as disk drive.  The middle d actually stands for “disk”.  They’re call hard disks to differentiate them from floppy disks and optical disks.  And floptical and probably half a dozen other things.    Frequently it was referred to as “the disk” as in “your disk is bad”.  There used to be removable HDDs that were clear and had visible disks in them.  SSD has no actual disk of course, but as the successor to the HHD its a reasonable thing to call it.  The problem I think is that “disk drive” is kind of a crap term here because it’s vague.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

it honestly looks like a black and white 360

It looks nothing like a 360...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So how long are we supposed to wait? Just because people took advantage of a situation and started rioting and looting shouldn’t mean that others around the world need to wait for shit. 

I might point out that the timing was pretty good.  Most non organized stuff stopped days ago.  I hear all about rioting and how cities are on fire.  These statements all seem to come from people in areas where none of this happened.  I actually live in the twin cities.  My local drug store shut down for a few days.  The local target shut down for one.  Never so much as smelled smoke.  Never saw a burning anything.  Apparently 90% of everything was along one commercial street most of which wasn’t hit at all.  There was one strip mall with scattered damage, one small satalite police station, and a few stores that all specialized in high value small easily hocked items.  And it was over in a few days.  The protesting wasn’t.  That’s still going on.  The whole rioting and looting thing? Waaaaaay overblown.  Some stuff was hit weirdly and at random.  One of the last science fiction specialty bookstores in the world, Uncle Hugo’s, was burned.  That one hurt personally.  It’s not like the whole city went up though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yes.

Whether that black puck is actually needed is unknown. It probably doesn't need to be there but might offer better support.

It almost looks like it's just there for show...and if you laid it flat, all sides would touch the surface without it. Good to see though.

If it was made by Apple they'd expect you to buy a $1,500 Apple entertainment stand.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

sigh okay here we go

image.png.f8b7389d8595185240d3b2b676587c5f.png

Optical drive : disk drive

For layman's terms, yes there is a version of the PS5 that has no disk drive. I've NEVER heard anyone refer to a hard drive or an ssd as a disk drive. I shouldn't touch your reply here but, no, nobody calls a DVD or BluRay drive a hard disk because nobody said that. Only you.

Dude, HDD literally means HARD DISK DRIVE... And it's always been referred to as "hard disk" or "hard drive". And it's because you call optical drives that way it makes it a confusion. Where with "optical drive", there is literally ZERO confusion. SSD's are not optical and neither are HDD's. It's only CD, DVD and BluRay units that are optical.

Also feel free to search for images of "disk drive". From what my eyes can see, 90% of images are HDD's and the other ones that are actually optical drives have "optical drive" in most their descriptions even though search engine spit them out with the HDD's.

DRIVE = any storage medium, be it optical, internal rotational or solid state

HDD = HDD

HARD DISK = HDD

HARD DRIVE = HDD

HARD DISK DRIVE = HDD

SSD = SSD

SOLID DRIVE = SSD

SOLID STATE DRIVE = SSD

OPTICAL UNIT = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DRIVE = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DISK DRIVE = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DISK = CD/DVD/BR storage medium

OPTICAL DISC = CD/DVD/BR storage medium

Sure DISK by definition means round flat thing, but in 30 years of doing computers I've never heard anyone referring to optical drives as "disk drives". Never. It was either what type of drive it is specifically, be it CD, DVD or BR or it was referred to it as optical drive. And if it ever was referred to as "disk" it was with "C" as DISC, not DISK when optical mediums were involved.

Am I the only one that hates the design 

It looks cheap to me and the rough edges are not doing it for me 

The controller is fine tho 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 hours ago, gloop said:
  • Spider-man: Miles Morales - Insomniac - TRAILER
  • Gran Turismo 7 - Polyphony Digital - TRAILER
  • Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Insomniac - TRAILER
  • Project Athia - Square Enix - TRAILER
  • Stray - Annapurna - TRAILER
  • Returnal - Housemarque - TRAILER
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Sumo Digital - TRAILER
  • Kena: Bridge of Spririts - Ember Lab - TRAILER
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm - Oddworld Inhabitants - TRAILER
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -  Bethesda - TRAILER
  • Godfall - Gearbox - TRAILER
  • Solar Ash - Heart Machine - TRAILER
  • Hitman - IOI - TRAILER
  • Astro Bot - Japan Studio
  • Little Devil Inside - Neostream - TRAILER
  • NBA 2K21 - EA - TRAILER
  • Bugsnax - Young Horse - TRAILER
  • DEMONS SOULS REMAKE - Bluepoint Games - TRAILER
  • Deathloop - Arkane Studios - TRAILER
  • Resident Evil: Village - Capcom - TRAILER
  • Pragmata - Capcom - TRAILER
  • Horizon: Forbidden West - Guerilla - TRAILER

done watching all trailers, nothing that really makes me scream want nor care. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Ahh, so mass protests, civil unrest, and a pandemic occurring simultaneously only counts for a weeks wait to Sony...I'm sorry but only waiting one week is still pretty tone deaf. Just shows that all they really cared about was their announcement being overshadowed by the news and not actually caring about the issue imo🤷‍♂️

Why would a Japanese company care about a dead black dude from the USA?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Dude, HDD literally means HARD DISK DRIVE... And it's always been referred to as "hard disk" or "hard drive". And it's because you call optical drives that way it makes it a confusion. Where with "optical drive", there is literally ZERO confusion. SSD's are not optical and neither are HDD's. It's only CD, DVD and BluRay units that are optical.

Also feel free to search for images of "disk drive". From what my eyes can see, 90% of images are HDD's and the other ones that are actually optical drives have "optical drive" in most their descriptions even though search engine spit them out with the HDD's.

DRIVE = any storage medium, be it optical, internal rotational or solid state

HDD = HDD

HARD DISK = HDD

HARD DRIVE = HDD

HARD DISK DRIVE = HDD

SSD = SSD

SOLID DRIVE = SSD

SOLID STATE DRIVE = SSD

OPTICAL UNIT = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DRIVE = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DISK DRIVE = CD/DVD/BR UNIT/DRIVE

OPTICAL DISK = CD/DVD/BR storage medium

OPTICAL DISC = CD/DVD/BR storage medium

Sure DISK by definition means round flat thing, but in 30 years of doing computers I've never heard anyone referring to optical drives as "disk drives". Never. It was either what type of drive it is specifically, be it CD, DVD or BR or it was referred to it as optical drive. And if it ever was referred to as "disk" it was with "C" as DISC, not DISK when optical mediums were involved.

Fun fact, DISC was intended to mean optical while DISK was intended to mean magnetic. It was widely used by the industry but never widely adopted by the public, they just used the terms interchangeably.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Some people simply cannot be pleased. They'll always find a way to complain about something. They'll quantify "caring" about certain issues and whatever number you come up with, they'll make it seem it isn't good enough.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

38 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

-snips-

Take it or leave it, I'm just explaining why people said a PS5 might not have a disk drive. I'm just the messenger for a colloquialism.

I don't care about consoles but that design is f ing great. What are you all complaining about? If you want a square box, build a PC...

Well that looks hideous.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

people be like: 

ps5 looks shite xbox looks great! 

gosh at least the ps5 has a unique look. the xbox just looks like your average small form factor pc. yes its normal and nothing special so people may like it cause its simple. but at least sony has the balls to make something unique. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Watched the event live. One of the most boring event I've ever seen, the numerous transitions with the PS buttons got old REAL fast and the people who were talking, frankly looked computer generated to me. Especially that one old dude who never blinked a single time while he was talking.

The spider-man game looks ok. I just hope it's not a quick re-skin of the previous one.

Cannot agree more. One of the most boring launch "events" ever. Heck why did they even call it a live-stream? I was expecting a cool show like Apple does.. This? This was just a completely pre-recorded video played to Youtube.

Then the games themselves. This time, with the impressive road to PS5 video beforehand (plus Linus' mistake and his apology-video, lol) and the breath-taking Unreal Engine 5 demo I was finally at the point where I said, well maybe this time consoles indeed have to offer something over PC gaming.

Then I saw the games.. Yaaawn. Wow. Those textures, all the blurriness, games that could run on years old PC hardware with no problem. There were a few examples of games that had very nice graphics, however still nothing where I think it cannot run on a current (low) high-end gaming PC.

With the Unreal Engine 5 demo I thought wow finally photo-realism is here (which I think should be the master-goal for any gaming platform). But I am just shocked how far off the games in the much-hyped reveal video are. All this tech, using highly custom-tailored hardware (for once a real advantage over PCs), and then this. So disappointed.

6 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Wait...I thought Sony postponed their unveiling event because black lives mattered or something like that?

It was delayed one week from 4yh of June to the 11th. 

46 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Cannot agree more. One of the most boring launch "events" ever. Heck why did they even call it a live-stream? I was expecting a cool show like Apple does.. This? This was just a completely pre-recorded video played to Youtube.

Then the games themselves. This time, with the impressive road to PS5 video beforehand (plus Linus' mistake and his apology-video, lol) and the breath-taking Unreal Engine 5 demo I was finally at the point where I said, well maybe this time consoles indeed have to offer something over PC gaming.

Then I saw the games.. Yaaawn. Wow. Those textures, all the blurriness, games that could run on years old PC hardware with no problem. There were a few examples of games that had very nice graphics, however still nothing where I think it cannot run on a current (low) high-end gaming PC.

With the Unreal Engine 5 demo I thought wow finally photo-realism is here (which I think should be the master-goal for any gaming platform). But I am just shocked how far off the games in the much-hyped reveal video are. All this tech, using highly custom-tailored hardware (for once a real advantage over PCs), and then this. So disappointed.

It is but you're misunderstanding what it means. One company having an engine capable of doing it doesn't mean it will magically just work with all games. A lot of the games shown were made by smaller studios & even indie developers.

Epic have actually been pretty generous with Unreal Engine licensing in the past, they allow anyone to use the engine for free and won't take a cut until the games makes more than a certain amount of profit. I'm not sure if this model will extend to UE5 but even if it does, you can't realistically expect a small dev team to have the required resources and time to create a photo realistic title.

Just like with other cutting edge tech (HDR, RTX etc) it will take a fair amount of time until even the larger AAA studios adopt it and its realistic to say it might never come to the games developed by small studios & indies.

What we saw yesterday were games developed for the system by studios who have no idea how to get the best out of it yet (and yes, that includes the AAA studios). How could they, it's so new its literally not even on sale yet.

Finally a tech demo is just that, a tech demo. The literal point is to show the engine in the best possible light. That doesn't mean anybody will actually ever use it.

Photo realism is here in the same way as HDR and Ray Tracing. Its technically possible but the chances are very few studios will bother with it.

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It is but you're misunderstanding what it means. One company having an engine capable of doing it doesn't mean it will magically just work with all games. A lot of the games shown were made by smaller studios & even indie developers.

[..]

Well yes, but I was expecting to see at least one title that makes decent usage of the capabilities of the engine. Why was there not at least one game by this one company that has the engine?

If it is that far fetched to have the capabilities used/leveraged, then the moment of the reveal video was just poorly chosen, they better would have shown the console design (and price) and wait to show any games. The way they did it the experience was just meh meh meh..

Just now, Dracarris said:

Well yes, but I was expecting to see at least one title that makes decent usage of the capabilities of the engine. Why was there not at least one game by this one company that has the engine?

If it is that far fetched to have the capabilities used/leveraged, then the moment of the reveal video was just poorly chosen, they better would have shown the console design (and price) and wait to show any games. The way they did it the experience was just meh meh meh..

You do realise that UE5 isn't actually available to devs right now, right? Its still under development.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You do realise that UE5 isn't actually available to devs right now, right? Its still under development.

Okay maybe I just got my expectations totally wrong there. I just did not expect that all others are that far off from what Unreal has achieved/UE5 will be the only engine that can deliver that kick-ass graphics. In any case I think they show cased games much too early. For someone that watches all platforms, the video gave me zero incentive to buy the console.

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Console exclusives would be the main reason to buy PS5 though since XBox Series X is more powerful and Sony keeps dropping leaks the PS5 won't be cheaper than Series X.

The XBSeX has more CUs and a negligible speed differential for the CPU. And it's still doing that split memory bullshit to skimp on money. Which is even more bullshit than normal anyway because there's only 3.5 gigs of the slow memory available to a game before it starts scavenging the fast memory and downclocking it. Whereas the PS5 has faster CUs, and faster main storage. The faster CUs mean each individual ray will be able to interact with more of the environment, while the larger amount of CUs for the XBox means more rays that interact with less of the environment. Assuming my experiments with overclocking my pc from several years ago transfer over, the difference in CPU speed is less than 3 fps at games over 75fps, which means at most a 1 fps difference for games at 30 fps assuming all settings are equal between consoles, which they won't be anyway. The faster main storage means quicker transitions between areas, as evidenced in the Ratchet and Clank trailer. In any case, which one is truly better will depend entirely on the developers to start pushing the idiosyncratic limits of the respective consoles, which won't happen for a good 4 years at best

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Those textures, all the blurriness,

It should be noted that streaming was limited to 1080p by Youtube because of the whole Covid thing. So no 1440 or 4k.