PS5 Design Revealed + All New Games!

gloop
33 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It is blanket unsubstantiated claims being presented as truths that @LinusTech was trying to set an example against doing via his apology video.

You do not know what went into the decision, or what cogs might be working in the background.  Just because you thought that they should wait longer, doesn't mean they could or that they felt a week was good amount of time.  There is no point in throwing around baseless accusations against companies like so.

I'm just taking them at their word, no "blanket unsubstantiated claims" here.

image.png.8c933b3172f9bed71089e5570836dc82.png

They said that "we do not feel that right now is a time for celebration" and "we want to stand back and allow more important voices to be heard"...The demonstrations and protests for the same issue are still on-going. If they felt it was in poor taste to do their event then shouldn't they still think that's the case since nothing has changed and everything is still actively going? If that was their actual reasoning for delaying the event then you'd think it'd be delayed until said event concluded right? So since they didn't wait until the protests were finished and changed happened then what was their actual reasoning for delaying it?

Woah a AAA sidescroller with good 3D graphics?
Noice.

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Except that's not at all what that means. Talk about tone deaf...

That was a reply to this comment...

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Why would a Japanese company care about a dead black dude from the USA?

Maybe you should put things into context before talking about being "tone deaf"...if you can't see why then that says more about you than it does about me😬

20 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

If they felt it was in poor taste to do their event then shouldn't they still think that's the case since nothing has changed and everything is still actively going? If that was their actual reasoning for delaying the event then you'd think it'd be delayed until said event concluded right? So since they didn't wait until the protests were finished and changed happened then what was their actual reasoning for delaying it?

The thing is, you don't know and can't know what the reasoning is.  Stating it as a fact, just because you think waiting a week wasn't enough is not enough justification to throw around baseless accusations.

For all we know, they could have been contractually obligated to do so by a certain date, or perhaps the amount of damage to their bottom line would be too much to justify extended the delay...or maybe they felt the voices were heard, and that it would be okay to hold the event (remember there are 3 world events happening during this time, and 2 of which were in their infancy, when the voices needed to heard the most to keep things going).

The point is you are not one to say the definitive answer because unless you work at Sony or talk to people who were involved in the decision.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

20 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yes.

https://linustechtips.com/main/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://i.gyazo.com/f01fa3b247bfec44190eb58a825aac3e.png&key=0ee50fd35c600ea39f377f0cf285188d2738d7e78ad2378d50c536d5ca6e0147

Whether that black puck is actually needed is unknown. It probably doesn't need to be there but might offer better support.

Wow, thanks, I hate it. I do find it interesting that most AV equipment tries not to draw attention to itself on purpose.

20 hours ago, Commodus said:

Steps in the console design reaction cycle:

1. "Ew, it's ugly"

2. "Now that I've seen it in person, it looks fine"

3. "Looks great in my setup!"

4. "HOW DARE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE"

Lather, rinse, repeat for most systems.

Eh. The OG Xbox was always cool because it was kind of dumb. The PSX and PS2 were primarily functional, the 360 never had any major detractors, the PS3 was just a colossal magnet for fingerprints, dust, and scratches, but otherwise fine. The PS4 has a kind of dumb club sandwich design, but it's still minor. People gave the XOne shit for "looking like a VCR" to which I still consider a win because it's understated and looks like AV equipment. The new Xbox is just a black cube, but this... this is a monstrosity of modern architectural design. Anytime something gets designed like this, be it sculptures, buildings, or products, people always hate it. Why it remains so popular with designers I don't know.

20 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

didn't think it be possibile to make an uglier box than the OG One.

I still don't understand this. It's basically AV equipment. It's meant to blend in, which I'd say it does fine. "It looks like an VCR." Oh no, the AV equipment looks like AV equipment!

19 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Idk whether anyone else felt the same, but I wasn't too impressed with most of the games at the event. Maybe because I'm mostly a pc player, but it felt like more like a Nintendo event than a PlayStation event

Outside Horizon Forbidden West (Zero Dawn was really good, and coming to PC) most of the titles were platform agnostic and not anything major. The Deathloop game is just a slight variation on Dishonored.

#Muricaparrotgang

For all you Destiny plays out there. Must be a new exotic for those who are going to be playing on PS5

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 6/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, TetraSky said:

Watched the event live. One of the most boring event I've ever seen, the numerous transitions with the PS buttons got old REAL fast and the people who were talking, frankly looked computer generated to me. Especially that one old dude who never blinked a single time while he was talking.

The spider-man game looks ok. I just hope it's not a quick re-skin of the previous one.

As for the consoles themselves... They look like a router, except one of them has a tumor/disc drive growing on it.... The two different models will totally confuse some parents who don't know any better. Imagine someone buying the PS5 without disc drive + a couple disc games for christmas... Only to find out once little Timmy opens it that he cannot play the games... Because there's no where to put the disc.

I'd expect them to put a code inside the disc to activate it online or something. 

I doubt they will do that. Because you can cash the code and then give the disc to a friend. I suspect it will be like now, where you can buy Download codes for games or PSN store cash in store, and then redeem them on your digits console. Which is exactly how Microsoft does it for the One S All Digital.

edit: for those with long memories, Microsoft wanted a system where discs would have digital serial numbers so that once installed, the physical disc would not be needed, but couldn’t be played on another system. They even had plans for license transfers to loan games to your friends digitally, and a way to unhook the license from your system so the game could be given to someone else or traded in. Then everyone crapped all over them for requiring the console be online to check license rights on a semi regular basis, so they dumped the whole idea.

18 minutes ago, Jotoco said:

I'd expect them to put a code inside the disc to activate it online or something. 

Yeah, that would be the thing that makes the most sense. Now how likely is it to happen if you can just resell the disc afterward ? I highly doubt they will lock the games to an account through codes, like how PC games work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Wow, thanks, I hate it. I do find it interesting that most AV equipment tries not to draw attention to itself on purpose.

Eh. The OG Xbox was always cool because it was kind of dumb. The PSX and PS2 were primarily functional, the 360 never had any major detractors, the PS3 was just a colossal magnet for fingerprints, dust, and scratches, but otherwise fine. The PS4 has a kind of dumb club sandwich design, but it's still minor. People gave the XOne shit for "looking like a VCR" to which I still consider a win because it's understated and looks like AV equipment. The new Xbox is just a black cube, but this... this is a monstrosity of modern architectural design. Anytime something gets designed like this, be it sculptures, buildings, or products, people always hate it. Why it remains so popular with designers I don't know.

I still don't understand this. It's basically AV equipment. It's meant to blend in, which I'd say it does fine. "It looks like an VCR." Oh no, the AV equipment looks like AV equipment!

Outside Horizon Forbidden West (Zero Dawn was really good, and coming to PC) most of the titles were platform agnostic and not anything major. The Deathloop game is just a slight variation on Dishonored.

So what you are saying is most of this stuff was going to be coming to multiple platforms but was stopped by SONY payola and was made exclusive?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

103957563_3024634340915532_4474248550143

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So what you are saying is most of this stuff was going to be coming to multiple platforms but was stopped by SONY payola and was made exclusive?

Huh? I said most of the games are multi-platform.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Huh? I said most of the games are multi-platform.

I Must have misunderstood. S’ Why I asked.  Didn’t sound right to me either.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A concern I have is, well.. ok.. lets face it, the BluRay player cost probably $30-50, especially for Sony who has no royalty to pay for its codec and technology licensing as they own it.

My concern is that the disk-less version of the system, cost $100-150 less, so Sony will take a massive loss on the system, but it will push people to get it, not thinking that they'll be stuck at buying games (which they can't resale) on Sony lucrative store. You won't get the same great deals on the PlayStation store compared to physical copy purchases. People won't think of that, and that means that it will sale very well, which will make all other consoles do the same, and now it is finished. You are now locked in to the console store.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

A concern I have is, well.. ok.. lets face it, the BluRay player cost probably $30-50, especially for Sony who has no royalty to pay for its codec and technology licensing as they own it.

My concern is that the disk-less version of the system, cost $100-150 less, so Sony will take a massive loss on the system, but it will push people to get it, not thinking that they'll be stuck at buying games (which they can't resale) on Sony lucrative store. You won't get the same great deals on the PlayStation store compared to physical copy purchases. People won't think of that, and that means that it will sale very well, which will make all other consoles do the same, and now it is finished. You are now locked in to the console store.

This is what consoles have always been: computers that are crippled in specific ways useful to the producing company.  When PCs first came out this was attempted as well but the group that rebelled was the software developers. This is why the ti994a never took off.  TI wanted to control the software too thoroughly for the taste of the developers.  Now the developers have been cowed and it’s only the users left.

Another thing.. for the lack of price. I see what Sony is trying to do. Probably see how much the XBox Series X will cost, and then reveal their price, potentially lower.

They are trying to pull the same move that they did against Sega back in the PS2 ay, where Sega charges its new (at the time) console $399, and Sony came on stage and just said "$299". of course, selling the console at a loss, which was new model back then. They did the same move, of similar fashion, with teh PS3 revel where they highlighted used games against XBox One rumor of blacking this. The problem, with the current situation, is that we know the tech inside isn't cheap. By playing the waiting game, and not saying the price, people will keep in their head that the console is expensive. So even if the XBox Series X costs the same, people will have kept in mind that the PS5 is expensive.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Another thing.. for the lack of price. I see what Sony is trying to do. Probably see how much the XBox Series X will cost, and then reveal their price, potentially lower.

They are trying to pull the same move that they did against Sega back in the PS2 ay, where Sega charges its new (at the time) console $399, and Sony came on stage and just said "$299". of course, selling the console at a loss, which was new model back then. They did the same move, of similar fashion, with teh PS3 revel where they highlighted used games against XBox One rumor of blacking this. The problem, with the current situation, is that we know the tech inside isn't cheap. By playing the waiting game, and not saying the price, people will keep in their head that the console is expensive. So even if the XBox Series X costs the same, people will have kept in mind that the PS5 is expensive.

Yea, I was thinking a similar thing in why they weren't releasing their pricing...although the one thing I could see is that they might match the xbox series x with the disc drive one and then the digital version offer it $100 less (so they get a stunner of a price, but their "higher" priced version matches what xbox is).

One thing I just thought about though, the disc drive version must be also there for the PS4 semi-backwards compatibility.  I am also curious on the game patch sizes...and whether they have maybe adapted things so that download sizes for patches will be smaller (hoping, but given I haven't heard anything about that I am less hopeful)

9 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Yea, I was thinking a similar thing in why they weren't releasing their pricing...although the one thing I could see is that they might match the xbox series x with the disc drive one and then the digital version offer it $100 less (so they get a stunner of a price, but their "higher" priced version matches what xbox is).

One thing I just thought about though, the disc drive version must be also there for the PS4 semi-backwards compatibility.  I am also curious on the game patch sizes...and whether they have maybe adapted things so that download sizes for patches will be smaller (hoping, but given I haven't heard anything about that I am less hopeful)

Microsoft can always reply by uncrippling bits of their system though and leveraging windows.  The XsX doesn’t really have anything a full on computer doesn’t.  But it also doesn’t really lack anything a full on computer needs.  It’s just turned off.  How competitive would a XsX be if it could run homework software when a PS5 couldn’t? Kids don’t pay for consoles, parents do.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Microsoft can always reply by uncrippling bits of their system though and leveraging windows.  The XsX doesn’t really have anything a full on computer doesn’t.  But it also doesn’t really lack anything a full on computer needs.  It’s just turned off.  How competitive would a XsX be if it could run homework software when a PS5 couldn’t? Kids don’t pay for consoles, parents do.

I would suspect they wouldn't really do that (well if they did, they would run Windows in a hypervisor that limits the power of it).  Since both companies will likely be selling the console at a loss, they will need the licensing for titles to make back that money...if it run stock Windows, I would imagine they would lose a fair amount of revenue from licensing.

It also would have to be run as a separate OS (so something like a boot loader, which would make it very weird starting up) [After all, game designers would have been given the spec and been told "you will have x amount of ram"]

18 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I would suspect they wouldn't really do that (well if they did, they would run Windows in a hypervisor that limits the power of it).  Since both companies will likely be selling the console at a loss, they will need the licensing for titles to make back that money...if it run stock Windows, I would imagine they would lose a fair amount of revenue from licensing.

It also would have to be run as a separate OS (so something like a boot loader, which would make it very weird starting up) [After all, game designers would have been given the spec and been told "you will have x amount of ram"]

I find it unlikely also.  It would be an emergency kind of thing.