PS5 Design Revealed + All New Games!

gloop
3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Console exclusives would be the main reason to buy PS5 though since XBox Series X is more powerful and Sony keeps dropping leaks the PS5 won't be cheaper than Series X.

Powerful in what sense?  The GPU's would be impossible to tell which will actually perform better.  XBSX has a higher TFLOP but a higher CU count.  It is easier to utilize less CU's (so since the PS5 has less CU's but more powerful CU's it might actually perform better)...then again strict measures aren't really the best way to compare things either (but unfortunately that is all we really get)

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This digital version may imply its crap though.   Modern games are big.  That means long load times.

Why would the digital version imply that?  Even assuming it's 1/5 of the speed rated, and only a 0% compression rate, that still would only take under 15 seconds to fill up the memory.  (If what is promised is an reflection of speeds, excluding the compression, it would be shy of 3 seconds).

So I don't really think the SSD will be much of an issue in terms of the PS5 design (and as mentioned in the PS5 SSD topic, there could be great benefits in level design if an exclusive title were to make use of the architecture of the SSD)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

The only way I'll get a PS5 is if it has full backwards compatibility and I can finally retire my old PS2 and play those games straight off the disks. Otherwise this will likely be a pass and I'll just watch Twitch streams and/or YouTube videos of the exclusives I'm interested in, like I did with the PS4.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I didn't forget anything. Re-read what I said.

"Compare vector based control" Fancy works to sound fancy, but you have no idea what you just said.

That phrase was never used in the thing I quoted.  You spoke entirely about keyboards and misinterpreted a statement about player blocking.  Did the companies do it? Yes.  But you’re flossing over WHY they did it. They didn’t do it instantly.  There was a very short period when it wasn’t blocked and that very short period is why it was. They did it because players on keyboard/mouse were absolutely owning console players. It was so bad the best console players were getting creamed by bad PC players. It was also not the keyboard.  The keyboard is not an advantage.  It has a lot more buttons but the buttons are badly laid out.  It’s the mouse.  Mice work on a completely different cursor location system that is vastly more accurate than joysticks.  This has been known for 40 years.  The first attempts to fix this were trackballs.  Big plastic spheres one moved with ones hand. An order of magnitude improvement over joysticks. All the old mice did was turn a trackball upside down so you rolled the ball with the table.  A massive improvement again. Got worse with laser mice. Another level of improvement.

So joysticks are 2? 3? orders of magnitude worse than mice.

This is why I mentioned the steam controller.  The only real difference between a steam controller and a console controller is it uses the mouse style system.  It’s better.  Just. Flat. Out. Better.  Now if consoles had steam controllers they might have something.  They don’t though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Powerful in what sense?  The GPU's would be impossible to tell which will actually perform better.  XBSX has a higher TFLOP but a higher CU count.  It is easier to utilize less CU's (so since the PS5 has less CU's but more powerful CU's it might actually perform better)...then again strict measures aren't really the best way to compare things either (but unfortunately that is all we really get)

Why would the digital version imply that?  Even assuming it's 1/5 of the speed rated, and only a 0% compression rate, that still would only take under 15 seconds to fill up the memory.  (If what is promised is an reflection of speeds, excluding the compression, it would be shy of 3 seconds).

So I don't really think the SSD will be much of an issue in terms of the PS5 design (and as mentioned in the PS5 SSD topic, there could be great benefits in level design if an exclusive title were to make use of the architecture of the SSD)

It depends a lot on exactly what the digital version is.  If it actually HAS an SSD that’s a different thing, but relying on the internet for storage has big flaws in terms of latency.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

56 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got a single issue with consoles: game controllers suck ass and even just building games to accommodate their massive weaknesses make games suck too

That greatly depends on what games you play though.  FPS, yes it has an impact on multiplayer (if it was against PC players)...with that said, if it is limited to playing consoles vs consoles then it is more competitive since only the player's TV/Internet will make a difference.  Compared to PC gaming, you can have different settings, keyboards, mice etc.

Platforming games I find work a lot better on consoles, along with some other genres (harvest moon feels a lot more natural with controllers).

Neither controllers/keyboard and mouse are the be all and end all.  Each has it's ups and down (controllers allow for a lot more precision in player movement, but lack the ability of a quick twitch or looking at specific points quickly).  A keyboard and mouse has the downside in that it can create more physical fatigue/stress and your speed is limited to walk/run usually.  [Actually a joystick and mouse would probably better overall performance]

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It depends a lot on exactly what the digital version is.  If it actually HAS an SSD that’s a different thing, but relying on the internet for storage has big flaws in terms of latency.

...and this is where all the false rumors and negative bias comes from.   It WILL have a SSD in it, aside from the fact that it is impossible to pull of games like that on an internet connection, it would also be more costly to Sony (datacenter costs alone)

*edit* The reason for digital version and an optical one likely comes down to the cost of implementation (blu-ray drives + licenses for everything that involves it being called a blu-ray player is likely not a trivial number)

9 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

That greatly depends on what games you play though.  FPS, yes it has an impact on multiplayer (if it was against PC players)...with that said, if it is limited to playing consoles vs consoles then it is more competitive since only the player's TV/Internet will make a difference.  Compared to PC gaming, you can have different settings, keyboards, mice etc.

Platforming games I find work a lot better on consoles, along with some other genres (harvest moon feels a lot more natural with controllers).

Neither controllers/keyboard and mouse are the be all and end all.  Each has it's ups and down (controllers allow for a lot more precision in player movement, but lack the ability of a quick twitch or looking at specific points quickly).  A keyboard and mouse has the downside in that it can create more physical fatigue/stress and your speed is limited to walk/run usually.  [Actually a joystick and mouse would probably better overall performance]

...and this is where all the false rumors and negative bias comes from.   It WILL have a SSD in it, aside from the fact that it is impossible to pull of games like that on an internet connection, it would also be more costly to Sony (datacenter costs alone)

Re: controller

this is sort of what the steam controller was.  Imho the failure of the steam controller was the learning curve was not shallow and it was PC exclusive.  I’m sure there are people at valve who looked into this a lot though.  A game designed for a console can have advantages on console.  Console controllers have better button layout for one. You could add mousiness  to joy sticks or joystickiness to mice (which is sort of what the steam controller did) and get a better device.  Currently I feel that en total the keyboard/mouse is overall net the less flawed of the two options.  

re: PS5 digital.

We shall see what we shall see. If the digital version has storage and isn’t limited to streaming it will have something.

1 minute ago, wanderingfool2 said:

After I touched a mouse and keyboard I never even looked back at a controller. Why would a platformer game feel better on a controller over a mouse and keyboard? Platformer games are basically just running and jumping and mx browns are a lot more satisfying to click then controller buttons. You sound like the type of person that thinks that 30 fps looks more cinematic and is better than 60fps because you never experienced the latter.

13 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Controller do not allow for more player movement unless you use wasd by clicking w and then d instead of just clicking them at the same time or the game you played was made for controller. Does your mouse have needles in it to give you fatigue/stress. I don't think i'm wrong by saying that controllers are also limited to a walk/run but maybe you'll console players have like double sprint or something. A joystick wouldn't help when most people know how to use wasd so that it doesn't limit their performance. 

Maybe i'm coming off a bit biased though because I haven't touched a console controller in ages.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Devkit is way cooler than final design.

I have a suspicion it cools better too.  Several sides of the “revealed” design were not shown though including the back, bottom, and one side, so it’s hard to know.

2 minutes ago, Gundar said:

After I touched a mouse and keyboard I never even looked back at a controller. Why would a platformer game feel better on a controller over a mouse and keyboard? Platformer games are basically just running and jumping and mx browns are a lot more satisfying to click then controller buttons. You sound like the type of person that thinks that 30 fps looks more cinematic and is better than 60fps because you never experienced the latter.

It's from playing both PC and for your information I do have a decent PC setup (and don't play console games).

5 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Controller do not allow for more player movement unless you use wasd by clicking w and then d instead of just clicking them at the same time or the game you played was made for controller

11 minutes ago, Gundar said:

A joystick wouldn't help when most people know how to use wasd so that it doesn't limit their performance. 

Okay, play any driving game without where you use wasd vs controllers and tell me that there isnt a difference...you are the one letting your bias against controllers cloud your judgement.  I never said controllers were better than keyboard and mouse...I said they each have their ups and downs.

7 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Does your mouse have needles in it to give you fatigue/stress

The positioning of keyboard and mouse can create unnatural angles that put minute stresses on the body.

2 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's from playing both PC and for your information I do have a decent PC setup (and don't play console games).

Okay, play any driving game without where you use wasd vs controllers and tell me that there isnt a difference...you are the one letting your bias against controllers cloud your judgement.  I never said controllers were better than keyboard and mouse...I said they each have their ups and downs.

The positioning of keyboard and mouse can create unnatural angles that put minute stresses on the body.

Re: positioning

You’re talking about rsi.  Console gamers have gotten rsi too.  It’s less common, partially because console players are younger and can put the controller down more frequently.The positioning of anything can do that.

1 minute ago, wanderingfool2 said:

There is a difference wasd would be better... I've said 

17 minutes ago, Gundar said:

After I touched a mouse and keyboard I never even looked back at a controller.

so I can't be that bias when i've tried both parties. I didn't even now that mouse and keyboard has downs other than the fact that good mice and keyboards cost a few pennies.

I personally don't have a problem with unnatural angles giving me stress on mouse and keyboard. Also console people can have that problem too so this isn't only a mouse and keyboard problem. But unlike consoles on mouse and keyboard you can get an ergo keyboard and mouse that solves/helps fixing this problem.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Those exclusives could mean a lot even if you buy a system now, though.  Microsoft is still notorious for exclusives that are almost relentlessly mediocre... "we've got ReCore and Crackdown 3!  Wait, where are you going?"

Also, I wouldn't call the XSX uniformly more powerful.  Remember, the PS5 has the storage speed advantage.

So instead of a .75 second load time, the series X will be 1.25 seconds.  ;)

I am looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West.  I am totally an Xbox guy, but Horizon Zero Dawn was, in my not so humble opinion, the sigle best console exclusive title of this generation.

1 minute ago, Warin said:

So instead of a .75 second load time, the series X will be 1.25 seconds.  ;)

I am looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West.  I am totally an Xbox guy, but Horizon Zero Dawn was, in my not so humble opinion, the sigle best console exclusive title of this generation.

It’s not load times I understand.  It something sort of about using storage effectively as memory because it’s almost that fast.. or something.  It’s not super clear to me.  It involves simplification of games programming I understand though which developers always like.   We shall see what we shall see.  It will get utilized or it won’t.  If it does turn out to be useful it doesn’t sound super patentable.  There are several ways it could be implemented so if it is a real advance (seems to be disagreement)  It will get duplicated in some way.  or it won’t. 

Sony made a big deal about how much faster things will load when they first announced the tech last year.  The underlying tech looks pretty cool, but I suspect that in real world performance it is going to be so close that it will be a blink and you miss it kind of difference.  Don't forget, this is the company that went all in on the Cell processor in the PS3!

Was everyone expecting it to look like a black or white box like the last 2? I dont get why people are upset with the design.

Its funny to me that MS makes the new xbox look like a box and people complain.

Sony makes the new playstation look unique and people complain. 

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Well call that a disk drive y'know

No one calls DVD or BluRay drive a "hard disk". Or a disk of any kind. It's optical unit, optical drive, optical reader etc. Or just by name like BluRay reader or BluRay drive. In fact PS5 technically doesn't even have hard disk inside since it now comes with SSD as standard.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not load times I understand.  It something sort of about using storage effectively as memory because it’s almost that fast.. or something.  It’s not super clear to me.  It involves simplification of games programming I understand though which developers always like.   We shall see what we shall see.  It will get utilized or it won’t.  If it does turn out to be useful it doesn’t sound super patentable.  There are several ways it could be implemented so if it is a real advance (seems to be disagreement)  It will get duplicated in some way.  or it won’t. 

The shortened version is this.  Programming side of things, it might actually be a bit more work (but really it would be write once, use on many games kind of thing)...it would save time during things such as level design, as you no longer have to construct zones to load additional assets in.

If used properly, it could lead to games with levels that wouldn't be feasible on computers (without requiring the user to have a sufficiently powerful enough SSD, and even then you might still get pop-ins)...though the xbox will likely be able to do similar things as the PS5 in that regards (except at slower transfer rates)

The secret to PS5's method is that it bypasses a lot of the use of CPU, uses a hardware decompressor and has shared RAM.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No one calls DVD or BluRay drive a "hard disk". Or a disk of any kind. It's optical unit, optical drive, optical reader etc. Or just by name like BluRay reader or BluRay drive. In fact PS5 technically doesn't even have hard disk inside since it now comes with SSD as standard.

To note, hard disk and disk drives are two different usages.  There are lots of people who do refer to blu-ray drives as disc drives...actually it use to be fairly common for people to say, "put the cd in the disc drive" or similar phrases...actually for less techy people, I think using the term disc drive is more common than optical drive.

6 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

To note, hard disk and disk drives are two different usages.  There are lots of people who do refer to blu-ray drives as disc drives...actually it use to be fairly common for people to say, "put the cd in the disc drive" or similar phrases...actually for less techy people, I think using the term disc drive is more common than optical drive.

I think Hard Disk and Disk Drive are the same thing, but Disc Drive and Disk Drive are not the same is what you meant? Disc is optical discs (CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray), and Disk is magnetic disk (5.25 floppy, 3.5 diskette, etc.).

All in all, I'll probably get one because I like the design that doesn't look like a Onkyo or generic cable box. I seen someone posted a wishful concept of one that was black with blue glow effects, a la PS2. I'd grab that one. I also want a Xbox Series X, though, too... I need to grow that money tree real quick...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't mind that at all. Looks sleek. Can you still lay it on it's side though? I think that's a huge advantage to a lot of the older gen consoles, since that's how most people's tv stands are set up. It'd suck to have to figure something else out just to accommodate your new console. Can't wait to see how it compares to the Xbox...though, I'll never, ever buy a Playstation.

Pretty sure that was a dev unit.

it honestly looks like a black and white 360

AMD blackout rig

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

1 hour ago, Gundar said:

Controller do not allow for more player movement unless you use wasd by clicking w and then d instead of just clicking them at the same time or the game you played was made for controller. Does your mouse have needles in it to give you fatigue/stress. I don't think i'm wrong by saying that controllers are also limited to a walk/run but maybe you'll console players have like double sprint or something. A joystick wouldn't help when most people know how to use wasd so that it doesn't limit their performance. 

Maybe i'm coming off a bit biased though because I haven't touched a console controller in ages.

I'll never play single player games with mouse and keyboards. The positioning of my body playing with mouse and keyboard quite tense and is suitable for playing competitive games, whereas in single player games i like to be a little bit more relaxed.

Hell yeah a new Horizon. Might save up just for that.

Honestly I really like the look of the console, looks slick and futuristic.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

sigh okay here we go

image.png.f8b7389d8595185240d3b2b676587c5f.png

Optical drive : disk drive

For layman's terms, yes there is a version of the PS5 that has no disk drive. I've NEVER heard anyone refer to a hard drive or an ssd as a disk drive. I shouldn't touch your reply here but, no, nobody calls a DVD or BluRay drive a hard disk because nobody said that. Only you.

8 hours ago, gloop said:

Sony has just wrapped up their PS5 event, and a ton has been revealed. The design of the console is below:

List of Games Revealed (from T3

• Spider-man: Miles Morales - Insomniac - TRAILER
  • Gran Turismo 7 - Polyphony Digital - TRAILER
  • Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Insomniac - TRAILER
  • Project Athia - Square Enix - TRAILER
  • Stray - Annapurna - TRAILER
  • Returnal - Housemarque - TRAILER
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Sumo Digital - TRAILER
  • Kena: Bridge of Spririts - Ember Lab - TRAILER
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm - Oddworld Inhabitants - TRAILER
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -  Bethesda - TRAILER
  • Godfall - Gearbox - TRAILER
  • Solar Ash - Heart Machine - TRAILER
  • Hitman - IOI - TRAILER
  • Astro Bot - Japan Studio
  • Little Devil Inside - Neostream - TRAILER
  • NBA 2K21 - EA - TRAILER
  • Bugsnax - Young Horse - TRAILER
  • DEMONS SOULS REMAKE - Bluepoint Games - TRAILER
  • Deathloop - Arkane Studios - TRAILER
  • Resident Evil: Village - Capcom - TRAILER
  • Pragmata - Capcom - TRAILER
  • Horizon: Forbidden West - Guerilla - TRAILER

There are 2 versions of the console: the normal and the 'digital' version. As youd assume, the 'digital' version has no disk drive.

I'm super excited even though I think the console looks doesn't look good.

*I will further update the thread with trailers and higher res photos as they release*

EDIT 1: added trailers and fixed spelling

You are missing the headline title .. GTA Online.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 hours ago, BuckGup said:

I wonder if the power brick will still be outside or if they finally included it

Ps4P has no external power brick. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD