Picture it in your mind - Neural chip with new alloy tested

williamcll

engineersput.jpg

Scientists have made striding improvements to processors that operate in a manner similar to neurons in a brain. For this experiment, the neural processor was made with a new alloy and could remember images like that of a person as a demonstration. They hopes to apply this chip in mobile situations in the future.

In a paper published in Nature Nanotechnology, the researchers explain how their brain-inspired chip was able to remember and recreate a gray-scale image of Captain America’s shield and reliably alter an image of MIT’s Killian Court by sharpening and blurring it. Those tests may seem minor, but the team believes the chip design could advance the development of small, portable AI devices and carry out complex computational tasks that today only supercomputers are capable of.

“So far, artificial synapse networks exist as software. We’re trying to build real neural network hardware for portable artificial intelligence systems,” says Jeehwan Kim, associate professor of mechanical engineering at MIT. “Imagine connecting a neuromorphic device to a camera on your car, and having it recognize lights and objects and make a decision immediately, without having to connect to the internet.”

For your information, the processor are made of memristors, which operates in the manner described below:

In a neuromorphic device, a memristor would serve as the transistor in a circuit, though its workings would more closely resemble a brain synapse—the junction between two neurons. The synapse receives signals from one neuron, in the form of ions, and sends a corresponding signal to the next neuron. A transistor in a conventional circuit transmits information by switching between one of only two values, 0 and 1, and doing so only when the signal it receives, in the form of an electric current, is of a particular strength. In contrast, a memristor would work along a gradient, much like a synapse in the brain. The signal it produces would vary depending on the strength of the signal that it receives. This would enable a single memristor to have many values, and therefore carry out a far wider range of operations than binary transistors. 

Ultimately, scientists envision that memristors would require far less chip real estate than conventional transistors, enabling powerful, portable computing devices that do not rely on supercomputers, or even connections to the Internet.

1-engineersput.jpg

Source: https://www.engadget.com/mit-brain-on-a-chip-silver-copper-memristors-183405642.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41565-020-0694-5

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-tens-thousands-artificial-brain-synapses.html

Thoughts: Impressive, but I don't think a processor like this would replace a CPU anytime soon, at most an accelerator card or part of a phone SoC. I also wonder if this could be used to replace damaged brains since the memristors operate similar to a neuron.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

i still don't get how they made it remember a picture with some sort of sharpening function post-processing?

I do get that basically using an action potential in neuromorphic circuits can be a very interesting and maybe useful application in some instances.

I will read the paper in detail when i have the time for it. Also curious if thats just mimicking a voltage gate or if the current is really truly added across the board if that makes sense...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I don’t understand what the benefits of this instead of traditional picture analyzing software is

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

6 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

I don’t understand what the benefits of this instead of traditional picture analyzing software is

From what I understand, this is a hardware implementation of a neural network.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

17 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

From what I understand, this is a hardware implementation of a neural network.

So like an fpga for neural networks?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

9 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

So like an fpga for neural networks?

Seems like it, although the articles aren't all that in depth and I don't have access to the paper other than the abstract.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

No it’s not. While NNs use synaptic connections in a way the way that these synaptic clefts in a way communicate is different here. There is no 1 or 0 but the current or voltage seems to be transmitted as a whole so it can add up or be reduced at these connections. At least that’s what I gathered from it. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

So, I have to raise my iPhone from infancy to maturity through bedtime stories and awkward "bird and bee" conversations? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Probaly easier to doit

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

This can prove really useful....

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

“So far, artificial synapse networks exist as software. We’re trying to build real neural network hardware for portable artificial intelligence systems,” says Jeehwan Kim, associate professor of mechanical engineering at MIT. “Imagine connecting a neuromorphic device to a camera on your car, and having it recognize lights and objects and make a decision immediately, without having to connect to the internet.”

So it's just an AI oriented ASIC...

also wtf, you don't need an internet connection to use a "normal" software neural network 🤔 maybe don't ask this to the mechanical engineering professor?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

45 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

No it’s not. While NNs use synaptic connections in a way the way that these synaptic clefts in a way communicate is different here. There is no 1 or 0 but the current or voltage seems to be transmitted as a whole so it can add up or be reduced at these connections. At least that’s what I gathered from it. 

Yes, but ultimately it doesn't make a lot of difference - you can do the same by using multiple "normal" transistors. This probably has some efficiency benefits compared to that approach but that's about it. It's still an ASIC by definition (fpga might not quite fit though since it's not really a "gate array" in the traditional sense), how the hardware is implemented ultimately doesn't matter.

32 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Probaly easier to doit

Not easier, just likely faster provided they can refine the process enough to compete with more conventional systems.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not easier, just likely faster provided they can refine the process enough to compete with more conventional systems.

makes sense

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

So a memristor as some type of accelerator hm.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

ELI5 plz

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

8 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Think of the difference between rendering in the CPU or using a GPU.

You can do it either way, but what kind of CPU, and at which manufacturing cost and power consumption level, would match the performance of the GPU?

Now factor in that a CPU and a GPU are more similar than either a CPU or GPU and this device.

In principle, it should conceivably open the door for cheaper and more powerful artificial neural networks. And who know, maybe artificial intelligence one day (what we fashionably call "AI" these days is a set of statistics tools - quite useful in some context, but ultimately a glorified hand calculator, and conceptually as close to "intelligence" as one).

57 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Think of the difference between rendering in the CPU or using a GPU.

You can do it either way, but what kind of CPU, and at which manufacturing cost and power consumption level, would match the performance of the GPU?

Now factor in that a CPU and a GPU are more similar than either a CPU or GPU and this device.

In principle, it should conceivably open the door for cheaper and more powerful artificial neural networks. And who know, maybe artificial intelligence one day (what we fashionably call "AI" these days is a set of statistics tools - quite useful in some context, but ultimately a glorified hand calculator, and conceptually as close to "intelligence" as one).

So it’s not like all those ai chip startups that are popping up in Silicon Valley like mushrooms

not a general neural network chip 

but a chip for one specific neural network 

example : the general neural network chip is like a gpu

and the silicon from this tech news is like this fpga running Doom

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

9 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

The whole picture thing is to demonstrate what the chip can do and how it works, not what it was designed to do.    It likely isn't designed with any specific end use in mind other than to be able to apply a more brain like processing ability to problems.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.