Corsair recalls SF series platinum psus over failure problems

spartaman64

Corsair has discovered a potential problem with its SF series of Platinum-certified SFX power supplies that can lead to premature failure when the unit is exposed to high temperatures and high humidity. The problem isn't just limited to units inside U.S. soil as foreign retailers, such as Tiyu, Ask Corporation and Links International, have issued a recall on imported SF units as well.

Corsair's investigation revealed that SF units with a lot code between 194448xx to 201148xx, manufactured between October 2019 and March 2020, can potentially fail. Customers who purchased their SF power supplies before October shouldn't be impacted.

Apparently it's a technical issue that can manifest itself either when you turn the power supply on for the first time, or over a period of use. If you own one of Corsair's SF power supplies or just recently purchased one, you should give the packaging or sticker a quick look to make sure you didn't get one from the bad batch.

Fortunately, the defect resides in the primary section of the power supply. Corsair has reassured its customers that the fault isn't in any way related to the DC section of the unit, meaning the power supply might fizzle, but it won't take your components with it.

source: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/corsair-recalls-sf-series-platinum-psus-over-failure-concerns

official advisory: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=197081

The problem comes from an impurity in the insulator pads used between the PFC diode and the heatsink. When subjected to moisture (e.g. humidity), the impurties crystallize and once harden again when used in normal humidity environments, causes the insulator to crack and tear. Once the insulator cracks, the diode touches the heatsink and it pops.

-jonnyguru

LTT thread of members encountering the issue

Good to see corsair is taking this seriously and defects happen. If you have a SF psu check if its part of the bad batch.

It's almost impossible to buy an SF PSU from Amazon or Newegg at MSRP right now...

image.thumb.png.eb3bbfdca6d016f4216cf547478dd530.png

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

1 minute ago, 732 said:

It's almost impossible to buy an SF PSU from Amazon or Newegg at MSRP right now...

What's that have to do with this news article?

3 minutes ago, 732 said:

That price reminds me of the mining craze where PSUs, GPUs and RAM were as expensive as two kidneys each. I was planning on a 7900x build at the time, and bought the PSU in my current rig then. I paid about 250 USD for it, only to not ever build that x299 system. But at least it came in handy when I built my current setup. Silly me, shoulda waited P: 

Corsair will replace the unit free of cost and even take care of the shipping fees.

Solid support. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

What's that have to do with this news article?

means for these PSUs when the containers come over housing them, they all are going to be used for warranty so don't expect them to be back in stock.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

means for these PSUs when the containers come over housing them, they all are going to be used for warranty so don't expect them to be back in stock.

🤨 You just made that up, lol. 🤨

35 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

do you know how huge greatwall is? as they recently got back into production by the looks of it, this shouldn't be a problem for Corsair unless they got too many restrictions on shipping

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

do you know how huge greatwall is? as they recently got back into production by the looks of it, this shouldn't be a problem for Corsair unless they got too many restrictions on shipping

I could be wrong and I'm sorry for this stupid question but doesn't Corsair have 2 different oem's for their psus 

Great wall and someone else 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I could be wrong and I'm sorry for this stupid question but doesn't Corsair have 2 different oem's for their psus 

Great wall and someone else 

more than that, even... greatwall just does TXM/SF/CX gray/CSM (eol) for them

for the modern line

• VS/CV: HEC/Compucase
  • CX/CXM/RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi: CWT
  • TXM/SF/CX: Greatwall
  • AX: Seasonic
  • AXi: Flextronics

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Seasonic

this feals like a poor business choice to me... 🤔

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

15 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

how so?

and if that was true... Greatwall has hunters, HEC has Cougar and Flextronics has their server business. CWT I haven't seen retail of

also, this might be very worthy to add, a statement by @jonnyGURU

The problem comes from an impurity in the insulator pads used between the PFC diode and the heatsink. When subjected to moisture (e.g. humidity), the impurties crystallize and once harden again when used in normal humidity environments, causes the insulator to crack and tear. Once the insulator cracks, the diode touches the heatsink and it pops.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

🤨 You just made that up, lol. 🤨

53 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

The problem isn't production capacity.

The problem is shipping.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The problem is shipping.

High demand or low demand 

I'm going to assume high right ? Lol

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

50 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

...why?... Because of the Focus models? That's just one platform. SS alongside Delta, Super Flower and others are very good OEMs and, typically, very good places to source a power supply platform.

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

High demand or low demand 

I'm going to assume high right ? Lol

So you won't watch the video?

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

...why?... Because of the Focus models? That's just one platform. SS alongside Delta, Super Flower and others are very good OEMs and, typically, very good places to source a power supply platform.

SS and Superflower along side Delta?!?  LOLOLLOLLOLLL!!!!

Anyhoo...  SS and Superflower can't do the power density that Great Wall can.  The only one that even comes close is Enhance, but the performance isn't as good.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

So you won't watch the video

No I'll watch it I was just quickly asking 😅

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

So you won't watch the video?

SS and Superflower along side Delta?!?  LOLOLLOLLOLLL!!!!

Anyhoo...  SS and Superflower can't do the power density that Great Wall can.  The only one that even comes close is Enhance, but the performance isn't as good.

I was under the impression that Delta have some high quality units (at least the server stuff I have access to is pretty solid)

24 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I was under the impression that Delta have some high quality units (at least the server stuff I have access to is pretty solid)

Yes.  Delta does.

Delta is a tier one.  That's why you shouldn't put the likes of Seasonic and Superflower, who don't even have their own SMT lines, in the same category.

Lucky me. I have three of them. One 600 gold, which is fine. And two 750 platinum. None is in the lot code.

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

No I'll watch it I was just quickly asking 😅

he meant physically getting them from china etc where they are produced to the US. stuff like PPE gets priority 

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's why you shouldn't put the likes of Seasonic and Superflower, who don't even have their own SMT lines, in the same category.

let alone that Delta employs over 83.000 people in total, while Superflower (only has 1 production line afaik), Seasonic (51-200 according to their linkedin), CWT (18.000) and Greatwall (15.000) combined have less (and technically CWT and GW are possibly higher tiers than Seasonic/SF as well, but I can only confirm of the latter two being "tier 3")

@5x5

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The problem is shipping.

that was my point.

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

shipping space is the issue.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Solid support. 

That is a nice move, unexpected, but nice.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

let alone that Delta employs over 83.000 people in total, while Superflower (only has 1 production line afaik), Seasonic (51-200 according to their linkedin), CWT (18.000) and Greatwall (15.000) combined have less (and technically CWT and GW are possibly higher tiers than Seasonic/SF as well, but I can only confirm of the latter two being "tier 3")

@5x5

I'm pretty sure that Great Wall number is quite low.  The "about me" statement on their website that says "15,000" is from 2009.

Delta is so huge because of the multitude of power devices they make.  That 83,000 people includes folks working on adapters, solar panels, power storage systems, fans/cooling, robotics, touch panels, etc.  They're HUGE.

Great Wall is in a similar situation.  They make a lot more than just SMPS.

The CWT number might be low too.  Their website is current enough to show the Vietnam raw materials factory, but they're now building complete PSUs there too and you don't see that on their website.