Is This the Future of Unreal Engine 4?

Pickles von Brine

The folks over at Dekogon Studios, a game art outsourcing studio, have published on their ArtStation account some Unreal Engine 4 renders to showcase their creative vision and technological mastering of Epic's acclaimed engine. Being one of the more commonly used game development engines due to its rendering quality, ease of use and pipeline flexibility, Unreal Engine is one of the benchmarks for visual quality in the gaming world. These renders from Dekogon Studios using the latest version of Unreal Engine and employing raytracing are absolutely beautiful and incredibly, richly detailed.

Source

Not sure if this is news or not, but holy jesus that looks amazing! WOW! Just... wow... I mean, the fact this is created in a game engine is incredible (and I know they are used for this kind of stuff. What I would love to see, is it even possible to do this in real time? If not, what would it take to even pull this off? Absolutely blown away by this:

LM4KxNJ86MguDUGP.jpg
rRzVK9f9GWd0BXKl.jpg
ohwm3LSX1mCUdjOU.jpg
ibemKbmAMTXHwtuw.jpg

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I mean they look epic, but if it isn't realtime it doesn't really mean much.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Definitely looks like some serious ray tracing, but a lot of these look "cinematic real". Especially the subway. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I mean, the fact this is created in a game engine is incredible

Are these real time renders? Unreal is capable of high quality non realtime rendering

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Just now, straight_stewie said:

Are these real time renders? Unreal is capable of high quality non realtime rendering

I didnt know that. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just now, straight_stewie said:

the source is unsure of whether or not it's rendered in frames per second or seconds per frame:

While we don't know how many frames per second a modern graphics card could generate at this level of detail (or if it would take seconds to generate a single frame)

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I didnt know that. 

Yeah. It's "the other market" that Unreal markets towards: Architectural Visualization.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

it still looks a lot cleaner than real life which is always the giveaway , they never dirty stuff up enough. Or a lot of object get duplicated like chairs and none are unique which is another giveaway.

At the very least, to see a Pixar or Disney animated movie from this would be hella cool.

to be honest i scrolled past the intro and didn't realize the photo's are from a game engine. i thought they were actual pictures taken with a camera. 

She/Her

Give me Mortal Kombat with these graphics and in 10 years I will be able to finally enjoy it

The engine really has nothing to do with this.

Static ray traced renders are *The* most common thing out there (Think IKEA catalog)

Not to say this isin't impressive. Lots of hours amazing textures, effects likely added in post...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just remember, the new ampere architecture is slated to be released soon. If this is done in real-time it may be possible with them, since it's speculated to have an increase in RT and Tensor density.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

At the very least, to see a Pixar or Disney animated movie from this would be hella cool.

I'd like to see a Pixar level RenderMan game.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Pickles - Lord of the Jar Why did you use photos in the topic? I would of expected some rendered images.

I hate you. XD

Battlefield still has better graphics smh 

4 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Kind of already done.

Oats Studios (Neill Blomkamp) did at least all Adam episodes with Unity3D. I don't know did they manage to do it in realtime or did they rig the game engine to render frame by frame with more "advanced" rendering settings but all mocap was done with Unity3D+OptiCap and all scenes were build in Unity3D (these can be seen in their behind the scenes video where they even use realtime output during mocap where they put some character model, most likely low-poly rigging model, on the actor to see the movements on the character through tracked in-game "camera").

I haven't heard same done with Unreal but I can't see many reasons why it couldn't be done. And reasons why it couldn't are mostly just what technologies from movie industry (like the OptiCap) can be bend to work with Unreal and what are the limits of the Unreal, like can you load the ultra-high-poly models used in final renders into it or is there some internal engine memory limits or other that would prevent using huge models in it (for example the Zygote hires model used in rendering is 6.5GB OBJ-file accompanied by over 150MB MAT-file, even opening it in 3Ds Max or Blender is quite a job).

Looks nice but how good a game looks isn't as important as gameplay so ultimately doesn't matter. Maybe for casual single player games.

Last pic looks like it's from Resident Evil 3 remake

34 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Last pic looks like it's from Resident Evil 3 remake

it do be looking kinda fresh tho

9 hours ago, emosun said:

it still looks a lot cleaner than real life which is always the giveaway , they never dirty stuff up enough. Or a lot of object get duplicated like chairs and none are unique which is another giveaway.

Yeah, I could tell instantly that those were just renders. High-quality renders, but definitely instantly recognizable as ones.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If only unity games looked as good as UE4

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

If only unity games looked as good as UE4

People often confuse artwork with engine. One is not connected with the other. Sure engine helps you make effects older ones didn't, but that didn't stop companies. For example Dark Engine used in Thief and System Shock 2 games was known to fake bump mapping effect before it was even a thing and done in hardware (by creating a shaded effect of recessed or expanded surface features on flat 2D textures). It's why those games look way better even today compared to some that use classic flat textures without fake bump mapping effect. And by using this fakery on object edges, they also give perception they are smoother despite low polygon count. In fact you can often use artistic solutions to solve engine shortcomings.

Why not just use software like Blender, 3dsmax, Maya etc.?