Tesla has now produced 1 million Electric cars in total.

1 million

BB10ZHAk.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&

Elon Musk san tweeted out the news that Tesla has Produced it's milestone 1,000,000'th electric car, 1 millionth car is a Model Y SUV

The one million milestone is a huge achievement for Tesla. There was a time, especially during the Model 3 production ramp-up in 2018, when even Musk seemed uncertain whether the company will make it. Musk described the ramp-up, which massively increased Tesla's output volume, as "production hell" and said 2018 was an "excruciating" year. 

Tesla's first electric car was an electric sports car called Roadster released back in 2008 & it sold around 2500 nos at that time.

71417VI+eAL.jpg

Tesla introduced a uniquely designed Truck last year which broke the pre-order record in 3 days after it's announcement with 200,000 confirmed orders.

Cybertruck-5-1.jpg

The electric car popularity is a good thing for the environment, the more users switching to this form of transportation will evidently reduce the harmful gas emission, although it might take time to reverse the effect a little bit at a time is good. even though there's a bit controversy surrounding the making & maintenance being criticized by some.Eitherways the more of these is a good thing.

So what do you think about this milestone achievement? Post your thoughts down below.

unrelated pic. plz ignore

1744799161_deerelonmuskdolphinmeme.PNG.2429dbcdd0983c105876bd305d1d874a.PNG

Source:

Elon Musks Tweet(link at the beginning of the top)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/tesla-just-built-its-one-millionth-car

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-elon-musk-1-million-evs-built/

https://mashable.com/article/tesla-one-million-cars/

Details separate people.

I think electric cars are a required stepping stone to public transit and they will buy buy badly needed time.  In the end suburbs are going to have to drastically change the way they work.  Electric cars are less unsustainable than petrol cars and they get the West in general out from under the heel of the oil producing countries, but they’re not without long term problems.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I think electric cars are a required stepping stone to public transit and they will buy buy badly needed time.  In the end suburbs are going to have to drastically change the way they work.  Electric cars are less unsustainable than petrol cars and they get the West in general out from under the heel of the oil producing countries, but they’re not without long term problems.

the problem i see with electric cars is they use the power produced by what are usually gas generators of some kind.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

18 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

With current battery technology they will never really be competitive to normal cars.

Aren't Tesla's already competitive, and in many aspects better than, normal cars?

15 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

Aren't Tesla's already competitive, and in many aspects better than, normal cars?

No. Their build quality is pretty bad for the price point. The range is inferior. The only thing where they shine is autopilot and the better driving charactertics of an electric car. They still have a long way to go.

1 hour ago, NeuesTestament said:

No. Their build quality is pretty bad for the price point. The range is inferior. The only thing where they shine is autopilot and the better driving charactertics of an electric car. They still have a long way to go.

Don't forget less frequent maintenance, greater flexibility in where and how you 'refill...' you get the idea.

And I find it odd to talk about current-gen battery tech as if we've hit a plateau, especially knowing that Tesla and others are working on higher-density, lower-cost batteries.  This is just the beginning -- it may take a few years, but I wouldn't be surprised if a significant chunk of Tesla's lineup is hitting 500 miles of range  before too long.

12 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Don't forget less frequent maintenance, greater flexibility in where and how you 'refill...' you get the idea.

"Refilling" is still irritatingly long unless you use their battery killer charger(whatever BS they spreading Li batteries still degrade faster above one C charge current), and even then an IC car is still faster to refill. As for maintenance it will get negated by the insane price. From that money you could buy a okay IC car and maintain it for 10 years at least....  Its just not economical to buy one. Especially in my region where ppl cant even afford a new IC car, let alone an EV. (For instance my 13 year old golf costed about 5k €, i was able to pay out 3000 from pocket the rest is loan. And im one of the few who had enough reserve cash to do this(most ppl live month-to-month without/very minimal reserve. Next up is getting my own house,  my rough estimate is it will cost around 100k €. I get less than 1000€ a month....)

Edited by jagdtigger

Yeah think I'm gonna skip electric as whole. Wake me up when hydrogen becomes a reality

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

"Refilling" is still irritatingly long unless you use their battery killer charger(whatever BS they spreading Li batteries still degrade faster above one C charge current), and even then an IC car is still faster to refill. As for maintenance it will get negated by the insane price. From that money you could buy a okay IC car and maintain it for 10 years at least....

For most commuting the range is fine though, it's about equal with an IC car, those typically aim for a 200-300 mile range. My truck is likely somewhere around that, I typically have to fill up every 4-5 days (I have a 35-40 minute commute). Whereas if you're a homeowner you can just plug your Tesla in at night so you're never even close to the limit. So for what most people use their cars for, the "refill" thing isn't really an issue. Only comes into play if you're taking a road trip. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

"Refilling" is still irritatingly long unless you use their battery killer charger(whatever BS they spreading Li batteries still degrade faster above one C charge current), and even then an IC car is still faster to refill. As for maintenance it will get negated by the insane price. From that money you could buy a okay IC car and maintain it for 10 years at least....

I'm sorry, but these cars don't fall apart simply because you fast-charge them now and then.  I know you can shorten the life of a lithium battery with a fast charge, but you're not condemned to plugging in for 12 hours at a wall outlet, either.  Besides, this kind of misses the point -- the  advantage is that you can plug in at home, at the parking garage, at the hotel, and have full range when you need it instead of having to detour to a dedicated gas station for an ICE car.

I really don't think maintenance will be negated by the price when you're also paying for lower energy costs.  Besides, less frequent maintenance means less downtime.  Maybe you like being forced to spend a couple of days without your car every now and then, but I wouldn't.

And again, why is it that EV resisters always act as if the technology has peaked?  That's it, no more progress, let's just ditch EVs entirely and pretend fossil fuels will last forever with no harmful effects.  It's awfully short-sighted.  EVs are good now if you're aware of their limitations, and they're unquestionably the future of cars.  You will be driving electric (if you drive at all) at some point; it's just a question of whether you embrace the technology now or later.

Where i think EV shines is short city trips. They are clean, less noise, and range concern is no issue.

For long haul transportation, i would choose ICE over EV anytime of the day.

On the other hand, ICE does not come without any issue when they were first introduced. It's take decades and thousands of engineers hard work to get it to what they are rn. I just hope vendors can put as much attention to EV as to ICE and make the design to perfection, so EV can get affordable and reliable.

1mil of produced Tesla is a milestone to Tesla, but also shows how EV industry is NOT mature. I am pretty sure traditional ICE manufactures can produce 1mil of vehicles without shedding a sweat.

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

I am pretty sure traditional ICE manufactures can produce 1mil of vehicles without shedding a sweat.

Yee, to use my truck as an example again (F150), that's a tiny number for an ICE vehicle. Apparently over 40 million have been sold since they came out, and Ford sold a bit over a million in 2018. That's one single model of ICE vehicle from one OEM lol. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

45 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And I find it odd to talk about current-gen battery tech as if we've hit a plateau, especially knowing that Tesla and others are working on higher-density, lower-cost batteries.  This is just the beginning -- it may take a few years, but I wouldn't be surprised if a significant chunk of Tesla's lineup is hitting 500 miles of range within a few years.

I think the idea of an electric car is more ideal for people who are just going to use it to get to and from work and charge overnight in their garage. If you travel a decent amount then it won't make as much sense unless you have two cars and have one of them be gas and one be electric. 

2 hours ago, will4623 said:

the problem i see with electric cars is they use the power produced by what are usually gas generators of some kind.

Natural gas is still alot cleaner than gasoline. Also most places have some sort of renewable energy mixed in. I know a large percentage of the electricity produced for my area is from wind turbines partly because they are more economical to make than a natural gas power plant. 

1 hour ago, NeuesTestament said:

Range can be improved through a variety of advances in battery technology. Also, it seems that many of the newer Model 3s built in China have better build quality, a sign that Tesla is improving on overall build quality. I can see many of the flaws that Teslas currently have, but I don't understand why you believe they can never be competitive. I feel as if your definition of competitive is different than what I think of, since they are already competitive and disruptive in the automotive markets that they are already in (higher end sedans and smaller vehicles).

source:

https://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-2019-midsized-cars/

(Tesla is ranked 6th in the mid-sized car category, with the most growth ,14%, of the top 10 in that market segment)

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yee, to use my truck as an example again (F150), that's a tiny number for an ICE vehicle. Apparently over 40 million have been sold since they came out, and Ford sold a bit over a million in 2018. That's one single model of ICE vehicle from one OEM lol. 

I understand that the volume of Teslas are quite small compared to all other automotive companies, but isn't this expected since Tesla is a new company. All other manufacturers have had decades of infrastructure and experience. I think it makes sense that Tesla has such a small market share, especially because they currently only sell in the midsize car segment while all other automotive manufacturers more or less compete in every other automobile category. 

Edited by thechinchinsong
Spelling and clarification

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think the idea of an electric car is more ideal for people who are just going to use it to get to and from work and charge overnight in their garage. If you travel a decent amount then it won't make as much sense unless you have two cars and have one of them be gas and one be electric. 

No, it'll be for everyone in the next several years.  I could already make it from Ottawa to Toronto (about a five-hour drive, give or take) on a single charge with some Tesla cars; it won't take much more to make that kind of range commonplace.  EVs are better-suited to city driving now, but that's rapidly changing.

46 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

"Refilling" is still irritatingly long unless you use their battery killer charger(whatever BS they spreading Li batteries still degrade faster above one C charge current), and even then an IC car is still faster to refill. As for maintenance it will get negated by the insane price. From that money you could buy a okay IC car and maintain it for 10 years at least....  Its just not economical to buy one. Especially in my region where ppl cant even afford a new IC car, let alone an EV. (For instance my 13 year old golf costed about 5k €, i was able to pay out 3000 from pocket the rest is loan. And im one of the few who had enough reserve cash to do this(most ppl live month-to-month without/very minimal reserve. Next up is getting my own house,  my rough estimate is it will cost around 100k €. I get less than 1000€ a month....)

Its true that current Li battery technology degrade at fast charging levels, but I believe Tesla specifically builds in extra cells in their battery packs specifically to mitigate the impact this has. As for maintenance, I'm not familiar with the exact costs for maintaining a Tesla, so I'll take your word, but if maintenance is so expensive, then how is it economical for vehicle leasing companies that use Tesla vehicles? Wouldn't it be too expensive compared to an IC car equivalent for leasing companies to even consider?

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

No, it'll be for everyone in the next several years.  I could already make it from Ottawa to Toronto (about a five-hour drive, give or take) on a single charge with some Tesla cars; it won't take much more to make that kind of range commonplace.  EVs are better-suited to city driving now, but that's rapidly changing.

I never said it won't be for everyone in the future. I was talking about today right now. There are not enough charge stations currently to make using electric cars viable for long range travel. You can find a gas station at basically every exit while for charge stations it depends on where you live. For me they are basically nonexistent for the most part. 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Yeah think I'm gonna skip electric as whole. Wake me up when hydrogen becomes a reality

Hydrogen cars won't become a reality. Stuff that just can't run on batteries like planes might tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Most people don't usually travel longer than one charge worth in an electric car in a day, if you do you are in the small minority.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking