Canadian Government threatens the "Big 3" cellular provider to cut their prices by 25% ... Or else!

WkdPaul
1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I get $45 unlimited text; calls in Canada; and 2GB data.

Very few people ever consider or mention population density

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/canada/chile

I am not saying that Canadian's aren't being gouged, but if you look at population densities Canada and Australia are very close.  There is quite a bit more costly infrastructure that needs to be built out and maintained.

Hey don’t lump Australia in with Canada’s shitty cellular situation, we have it pretty good in terms of cellular services. I pay $26.70 CAD equivalent for 30GB of data unlimited calls/text, and any data not used banks up to a maximum of 200GB. This is on the premium network too (Telstra).

I mean this is great for consumers. But im not a fan of the government telling private companies what they can charge for their services.

Let the market handle all that.

Im not in CAN though. So it doesnt effect me.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

I mean this is great for consumers. But im not a fan of the government telling private companies what they can charge for their services.

It's not a free market, not even hardly one. Government is preventing competition from entering the country.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

11 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Edit ; shit, forgot to paste the link to the source!!! My bad!!!

i mod failing to adhere to the tech news Posting Guidelines?

reporting post right now.

this shall not go unpunished.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

RN i am paying $41 canadian rupees for 4GB of data, unlimited call/text

Canadian pays a lot more for a lot less of mobile services, that's a fact.

Partly the reason is population distribution is really sparse (around big cities), so for ppl that lives in relatively isolated area to get mobile service, everyone will have to pay a bit more to average down the cost. The three ISPs have a large ground to cover, but with a really small user base. I was shocked that Canada only have 37Million population. Thats crazy low consider the land we have here.

Does this totally justify the absurd extra that canadians are paying? i am not sure.

But i do consider they have monopolize the communication hardware system long enough. Sure they build the infrastructure but most likely using tax payers money, so any move to force in more competition is a plus.

28 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

RN i am paying $41 canadian rupees for 4GB of data, unlimited call/text

Canadian pays a lot more for a lot less of mobile services, that's a fact.

Partly the reason is population distribution is really sparse (around big cities), so for ppl that lives in relatively isolated area to get mobile service, everyone will have to pay a bit more to average down the cost. The three ISPs have a large ground to cover, but with a really small user base. I was shocked that Canada only have 37Million population. Thats crazy low consider the land we have here.

Does this totally justify the absurd extra that canadians are paying? i am not sure.

But i do consider they have monopolize the communication hardware system long enough. Sure they build the infrastructure but most likely using tax payers money, so any move to force in more competition is a plus.

Australia has a lower pop density.

14 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Australia has a lower pop density.

As a country we also have a far lower population than some cities.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why do so many people need so much mobile data?  I exclusively use mobile data on my phone (not connected to wifi at all) and I barely use 1-1.5G a month.   And 3GB (continuous rollover) costs $15 (about US$12). with  all free sms and calls.  I can get 48GB for $45 (about US$38) with continuous data rollover.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why do so many people need so much mobile data?  I exclusively use mobile data on my phone (not connected to wifi at all) and I barely use 1-1.5G a month.   And 2GB (continuous rollover) costs $15 (about US$12). with  all free sms and calls.  I can get 48GB for $45 (about US$38) with continuous data rollover.

I go through 4-5 GB easily with Facebook, Reddit, and general web browsing.

More bang for my bucks ($115 CDN after taxes for 10 GB) would make YouTube usable. 

6 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I go through 4-5 GB easily with Facebook, Reddit, and general web browsing.

More bang for my bucks ($115 CDN after taxes for 10 GB) would make YouTube usable. 

I only watch youtube (about 2 hours a week minimum)  and general web surfing (maybe some forums and shopping and some reading up on the latest studies). 

I can see why the government is doing it,  I can get 18GB for $25 Aus. with all free calls and sms and continuous data rollover (what you don't use each month just gets banked for use anytime)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can see why the government is doing it,  I can get 18GB for $25 Aus. with all free calls and sms and continuous data rollover (what you don't use each month just gets banked for use anytime)

That's a terribly good deal.

For my provider (Virgin), 1GB is $25 CDN ($28 AUD). Better not have too many images in your e-mail. 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

That's a terribly good deal.

For my provider (Virgin), 1GB is $25 CDN ($28 AUD). Better not have too many images in your e-mail. 

That's just outright theft at those prices.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Why do so many people need so much mobile data?  I exclusively use mobile data on my phone (not connected to wifi at all) and I barely use 1-1.5G a month.   And 3GB (continuous rollover) costs $15 (about US$12). with  all free sms and calls.  I can get 48GB for $45 (about US$38) with continuous data rollover.

Personally, I often have to use my phone as a hotspot for work, I have a 2GB plan with data rollover for $25 CAD, but like I mentioned, that's because I enrolled into that provider when they were in beta and so they had lower prices.

Also, since I have to use my phone for work, I'm getting a monthly bonus (in French it's "allocation", not sure how to say this in English, sorry) it's around $60 CAD per month, to cover my cellphone bill ... I know my fellow sys admins are paying more than that for their plans with 6+GB per month WITHOUT roll over (the provider I'm currently with is the ONLY one to offer data roll over and data gifting). If I knew I would get compensated at work, I would've taken the 4GB plan ;)

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

14 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Sounds like the sh*t Verizon pulls. 

All the big carriers in the US pull that shit. There is always a threshold of data you can use and then they "Deprioritize" your packets after you reach that amount. But I guess thats better than Caps and overages, like Comcast and other wired line ISP's are doing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

All the big carriers in the US pull that shit. There is always a threshold of data you can use and then they "Deprioritize" your packets after you reach that amount. But I guess thats better than Caps and overages, like Comcast and other wired line ISP's are doing. 

Yes they do. But at least T mobile sets it at 30-40. Higher than most people’s uses.
I feel bad for those who have a 1tb data cap at home   

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Useless law. They'll switch to what they have now: """"Unlimited"""" where you have, depending on the plan a few GB of download at full speed, then bellow 56K modem speed (not an exaggeration), and nearly double the price (looking at you Rogers).

They are 2 options.

- Get rid or genuine overall of the CRTC which pushes that competition is bad for eveyone, and is a puppet worse than the FTC on the US to the big Corp. And allow competition.

- Form a crown corporation new of takeover and, and put the real service prices and that will really create competition. Like the government did in the past with Gas stations. Dropping prices by all competitor to a all time low, and still make money

Hmm, maybe I'll actually consider going back to one of the big three if they lower their prices. Though, really, the only reason to do so is device selection, and even then it's not that great. It'll be interesting to see what happens once the baby boomers fade out, as I imagine they're largely the customer base keeping them afloat; a lot of younger people are more savvy and will shop around for better deals.

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

TBH data wise even before cuts: Its more than likely cheaper to message via an app than SMS (cost per SMS vs cost per MB).
Canadian telco/ISP pricing seems as shit as it is in Australia.

Who pays for that though? Text messages are free.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Should just set a standard to meet for the carriers. And failing to do so, just revoke their operating license.

For example "people in X area or city are to get at least 10GB/month and 100Mbps download speed for a line that is over 50CAD a month, within reason" else all providers in the area lose their right to operate there.

And then set different targets for different areas depending on pop density, accessibility, existing infrastructure.

I feel requirements should be at least this strict for any country that considers itself to be developed or any carrier that claims to provide good service.

Haha, yeah, that'd go over real well. Leave millions of people without service. Genius. Not to mention Telus owns a portion of all power poles, and Shaw leases space from them...thus you'd essentially be cutting off Shaw as well. Simply wouldn't work.

7 hours ago, Soppro said:

Not really, cellular pricing has gotten a lot better in the past 2-3 years. In 2015, for 30 bucks I could’ve only got 1.5GB data. Now, I can get 10 times that for 20% less.

From what I’ve seen, in Canada you guys have to shell out 40-50 stones for 5~10GB of data. That’s ridiculous, considering how data hungry apps are getting especially with streaming ... how is that still tolerated 

I mean, if you're using more than 5GB you kind of should pay...having massive amounts of data isn't a right, nor is it at all a necessity. Luxury costs money.

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I have the same plan, but I'm paying $25. But I got this by joining this new smaller provider when they were in beta ; fizz.ca

The same plan as I have (2GB with unlimited calls and SMS in Canada, with voice mail) is now $32, since they're now out of the beta phase.

Haha, I looked it up and they cover a very small portion of Canada, looks like it's just southern Quebec. Shame.
Public Mobile used to be pretty good, but then they switched how they operate and no longer have the build your own plan option, and iirc also got rid of 4G.

5 hours ago, GodSeph said:

Note that Canadian dollar is worth less than the USD. 55 Cad is around 36 Euro. still shitty prices and it depends where you live. Bigger cities you get more data for cheap, if you live in the middle of nowhere Canada north it can get expensive. 

Uh what? I've lived in rural areas in northern Canada and it's not any more expensive than a city. Province to province is the only place I've seen it differ.

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Smaller providers really don't count when comparing pricing, especially when it is introductory rates that are there to try getting new customers.  Since they are smaller they essentially get what amounts to preferential regulations and don't need to provide access in rural locations.

Not true, there's quite a few smaller carriers that provide exactly the same coverage, since they use the same networks as the big three. There's a few that don't, but I'd say they're in the minority.

7 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Yeah, it works so well with your Pharma industry...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Pre-paid and still quite a few plans charge for text.

PMSL

7 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

It's not a free market, not even hardly one. Government is preventing competition from entering the country.

so government prevents competition then it goes in again to force lower prices, how smart /s

The reason cellular coverage is so expensive in Canada is because of the large geography and low population density.

The number of cell subscribers per square kilometer of coverage is among the lowest in the world.

Some Canadian cities are hundreds of kilometers apart and you have cell coverage the whole way between.

Each cell tower is expensive and is a 10 - 20 year return on investment (without the govt trying to force them to have competitors use their equipment for pennies on the dollar)

There is nothing stopping a competitor from getting investors, loans ect and building their own network. its expensive, it takes decades to build a nation wide network.  But the big 3 did it and started doing it decades ago.  They worked hard for what they have and should not be forced to share equipment that is not even paid off yet.

How would you like it if you bought a Bugatti and the Gov't says that it would be too hard for your neighbors to buy their own so you have to cut a key for all your neighbors and they only have to pay you gas money?

You would re-think buying the Bugatti

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, it works so well with your Pharma industry...

Oof... That one hurts...

Let's also add that we not only let them set their own prices, license fees, and protect them for X years through the patent & trademark system, we also subsidize their research and manufacture and allow them to advertise on TV... 

Again, oof... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Pre-paid and still quite a few plans charge for text.

Swap to aldi,  all plans include free txt and most calls.  Uses the telstra network. 

33 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Swap to aldi,  all plans include free txt and most calls.  Uses the telstra network. 

No point. My current pre-paid "plan" is cheaper for data and text - with the later being used most of the time (data is only used in emergencies, or for internet access on my DS Lite). Admittedly they'd be cheaper if I made heavy use of phone calls (not that many go for more than 2min anyway). Plus it is also running from Telstra's network (a blessing and a curse if I'm over at my Mum's)

PMSL

9 hours ago, comander said:

You realize that they have worse phones pricing than the US despite more clustered populations. 

It's a joke and I'm not from the US