Linus on Live Stream (I've been thinking of retiring)

ddennis002

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

dude is hitting that midlife crisis. I'm right there with him. This shit 8-5 job is turning me into a zombie just so i can afford my lifestyle, which is spending 80% of it at work, preparing for work, and missing out my life and kids and family. I have another 17 years of this to look forward to. At least Linus can make a lot of money and actually contemplate retiring at some point in the near future.

I'm a slave to my mortgage for the next 20 years, and no real way out of it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

dude is hitting that midlife crisis.

He's bit young for hitting midlife crisis, but then again, he is entrepreneur and having stress over handling your own company doesn't work for everyone.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

He's bit young for hitting midlife crisis, but then again, he is entrepreneur and having stress over handling your own company doesn't work for everyone.

i hit mine at 35 tbh, once i had kids (took me a few years to realize it) and finally realized my life wasn't my own anymore.

Can't imagine having all the normal dad stress on TOP of being in charge of LMG.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I will feel sad if he retires, but if it's his decision and that's what he wants, I'll respect it. I've learned so much things from this guy and he is unique. From what I mean by unique, you already know, drops stuff but that's the reason why he is so interesting to watch. The sponsors too. I swear @LinusTech people will respect the decision that you will make in the future.

Building off of his comments about the environment and quality stuff that lasts a while, I'd love to see more videos about reusing and repurposing used enterprise hardware.   I have an old Dell R510 in my laundry room that makes a beast of a plex server. 

I created an account just to post this here.

Burn out. Can only say that with hindsight though. Happened to me about 3 years ago. Tried to stay at my work (loved the product, the team and the facilities) but the toxic management and quantity of hours meant I just couldn't recover. So I quit. 

I still haven't gone back into the work force properly yet but I've been able to pursue some other interests in my life and feel like I've been able to balance some things.

Money can't buy health or time. When you are in desperate need of help, will your company help you or see you as a burden?

He isn't going to retire but taking a different look on things. Though the guy should step back a bit. He has been working so hard for so long. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just now, Mekas said:

I created an account just to post this here.

Burn out. Can only say that with hindsight though. Happened to me about 3 years ago. Tried to stay at my work (loved the product, the team and the facilities) but the toxic management and quantity of hours meant I just couldn't recover. So I quit. 

I still haven't gone back into the work force properly yet but I've been able to pursue some other interests in my life and feel like I've been able to balance some things.

Money can't buy health or time. When you are in desperate need of help, will your company help you or see you as a burden?

You doubled your reply. :( But I get you. 

I'm so confused, he starts off by listing all of these things that make him want to retire. Things like his kids and family and the stuff, normal stuff for people considering retirement. Then at the end he's all like talking about Walter Whiting it and that he's going to keep doing videos but he's doing it for himself and not anyone else. I'm just so like...wut?

Midlife crisis is definitely a thing.  The issue though is it’s frequently chemical and not actual.  Stuff suddenly feels like it’s “not as fun” somehow etc..  dollars to doughnuts it’s testosterone level.   Male menopause.  No really.  It’s a thing.  It lasts maybe one to two years, and everything is normal again.  This is the secret to sports cars and why men of a certain age buy them.  Testosterone is like nitrous oxide is for cars.  You react more and more slowly,  you heal a LOT more slowly, and you just don’t feel “right”.  To make it more annoying it’s a gradual slide so for the entire period.  One of the weirdest ones is old old injuries suddenly come back.  I got frost bite on my toes in junior high.  Permanent damage but it didn’t seem that way until my testosterone dropped and the damage became visible again.  There’s actually this diagonal line across my feet where the caps on my skates were.  Hidden for 35 years.  Women get all kinds of semaphores stuff. Hot flashes me strait on weirdness, but for men it’s invisible.  They think it’s the world or what’s going on around them instead of just internal hormonal junk.  Makes it potentially very dangerous.  It’s the same damn ting though.  Humans are humans.

The secret to sports cars:  Sports cars are machines.  A sports car can have all the instant response and sudden acceleration and power a man was used to having.  You put it on, and for a bit you’ve got it back again.  It can help.  This will pass.  Don’t make irrevocable decisions that seemed stupid a while back.  They’re still stupid.  Testosterone patches don’t really help long term. You’ve got to actually stick them to your junk with a hair dryer for one thing and all they do is delay the inevitable.

For what it’s worth this is something that literally EVERY GUY ON EARTH goes through if they live long enough.  It will pass.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

As a business owner myself, it's a lot of work. Long hours, sleepless nights, worrying about the lives of your employees.  It builds on you. I get it. All I can say is do what is right for you. I'm about to turn 40 and I can honestly say I feel much older. I've thought about retiring but I can't bring myself to do it. I've got my family and the families of others to worry about.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

This is probably for the best. You get serious youtuber burnout, tired, want to do other things in life...etc. Your kids are always number 1.

Linus Media Group can now be self sufficient without Linus. But besides Anthony, there aren't enough people who are "passoniately geeky" beyond belief in LTT.

• Riley, James and Dennis do awesome work on Techlinked and it is self sufficient.
  • Techquickie is also self sufficient.

BUT Linus Tech Tips is not fully self sufficient.

Anthony can do hardware reviews and benchmarks. 

Alex can do the more "do it yourself" ghetto don't try this at home topics.

But he solid actor behind it was always "Linus Sebastian, a computer geek who worked at NCIX". 

If you are planning to retire Linus, you need to bring back Luke for those other "topics" and maybe to fill some of those gaps. At least until you find other staff members to fill that gap.

Also when you do retire from youtube, please continue the WAN show, just for fun and maybe do CES or Computex and LTX or whatever you feel like. Even if you are slowing down, keep some minor activity on youtube like how Gordon Mah only appears at CES and Computex yearly.

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

i hit mine at 35 tbh, once i had kids (took me a few years to realize it) and finally realized my life wasn't my own anymore.

Can't imagine having all the normal dad stress on TOP of being in charge of LMG.

The thing here is (I'm not watching this now, I'll do it later), that he has been overworked for a while now. As he doesn't have education about running a business and his wife is only person who has enough mental power over him to change things, he hasn't properly tried to lessen workload or shift responsibilities to others. During his vacation things were such as I would have expected them to be for this scale of company.

As you can't be everything in 30+ ppl company, he really needs to set priorities straight. Does he trust business side of things to others? Or the video side of things? Latter might be easier as they have slowly geared more towards that direction. So, drop WAN Show and 70-80% of daily content. Only keep those project style videos where Linus interacting with another person makes half of the entertainment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I never knew Linus is entrepreneur.

Bro, I feel so like idk what i feel. I been watching his channel for years... I hope he get better, he deserves a break from all the stress he been getting, More than a week.Take a vacation, we'll still be here for you because you've been there for us.

2 minutes ago, Flying Sausages said:

I never knew Linus is entrepreneur.

If you are trying to make fun or troll, thats pretty weak...

a person who sets up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrepreneurship

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

dude is hitting that midlife crisis. I'm right there with him. This shit 8-5 job is turning me into a zombie just so i can afford my lifestyle, which is spending 80% of it at work, preparing for work, and missing out my life and kids and family. I have another 17 years of this to look forward to. At least Linus can make a lot of money and actually contemplate retiring at some point in the near future.

I'm a slave to my mortgage for the next 20 years, and no real way out of it.

I am going to experience your zombie lifestyle soon mang. If college no work for me than I have to work shitty ass minimum wage job.

Made this account just to state this;

He seems so much like a normal person and I love that.

If I could afford to take time off, or just retire and be able to afford it, I would do it tomorrow to spend more time with my family.  I work 70 hours a week, my daily grind includes:

Waking up at 645PM, leaving the house at 700PM, working until 700AM, getting home at 730AM,  daily.  6 days a week.

My wife is already gone to help her grandparents by the time I get home every day.  She's at work as I leave for work.

My one day off, I get 3 hours with my wife before she goes to bed.

I don't have time for my family, or myself.  (and personally the family life has been getting hard).

Personally I think he deserves to take time for his family before it's too late. Here soon I'm going to have to no matter what, it's a struggle.

Take care of yourself Linus, that's the most important. I feel ya.

Just now, Flying Sausages said:

I am going to experience your zombie lifestyle soon mang. If college no work for me than I have to work shitty ass minimum wage job.

i mean don't get me wrong, i'm certainly blessed with my job and benefits....but yeah it's been 15 years already and i can't technically retire until 55.....leaving me another ~17 years. That's assuming my kids aren't dependents still.

Just now, Flying Sausages said:

I thought he is a tech reviewer not entrepreneurship.

If you create products (in this case tech videos) and not only carve out a niche, but also grow a one man show into a 30+ person company, that is the very picture of entrepreneurship.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

If you create products (in this case tech videos) and not only carve out a niche, but also grow a one man show into a 30+ person company, that is the very picture of entrepreneurship.

Never knew this because I am no expert in financial stuff. School didn't teach me shit about this.

1 minute ago, Flying Sausages said:

I thought he is a tech reviewer not entrepreneurship that establish businesses for profits.

If he would be working as one-man project (Jay, Kyle Paul etc.), then that would be true. But he has company. A company doesn't need to be created for pure profits. In world of idealists, companies aren't made for money-making, but to better share their work to markets. The fact that they are making profit now, and that Linus seems to be geared more towards profit lately also contributes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

new account to post this

Linus, just wanted to start with love your videos, hope you keep making them but at the same time I understand if you want to or need to stop, you definitely make a huge impact on people's lives, just like that kid that you sent a video to with leukemia it seems insignificant to you but to him you are his hero taking the time out of your day to send a video to him it is definitely impactful to others again thank you for making videos and teaching me about computers