Linus on Live Stream (I've been thinking of retiring)

ddennis002

Message to Linus

Any fans that appreciate Linus let him know with a replay here.

You Linus have made an impact already!
You do need to focus on what is really important in your life. You built a successful business, and that's really hard. Props to you man. Now enjoy the fruits of your labor and enjoy your family.

Also, now with your success, go out and serve. Help those in need. Maybe a good way for you is to bring computers to people who need them. Computing is very important and increases productivity and connects us to the world. There are people who do not have one.
You want to see direct impact on less fortunate people. Go and serve. It will fill parts of your heart and help many.
Help homeless, raise for a good charity that you know will impact directly. Start a charity. What ever it is do it. Just use your time well, remember to do the things that you enjoy. Be with your family n such but keep impacting. 

Consummers are simply how we know what people need and want.
You Linus made an impact to all your fans, family, and especially the people you have hired.
You made a successful business. You hired people and now they have jobs they enjoy. That's HUGE! Not everyone can do that. You saved Tech Linked. 
You teach your viewers about tech. I know I learned plenty of things from some of your videos. You helped me in my quest of knowledge about computers as did others on youtube. People value that education. It helps make better choices.
Not only did you give jobs to people in your company but you you help your advertisers be successful. Companies, as you well know, are people. Those people from your advertisers are able to pay their workers partly because of you. You help more people have a job.

The last thing, you have entertained us and brought joy to our lives. That is nothing small. Without fun, life would be dule, boring and miserable. You help entertain many millions of people around the world every year.

We are all thankful of you. All your Co workers, people in the industry, sponsors, fans, your family, that make a wish boy....ALL OF US appreciate and are thankful of you and what you have built.

Keep pushing, enjoy your life (that's why we grind to be successful), serve, and love.

I thank God you are here and appreciate your impact on people around the world.

I think he's just hit "the wall" and needs a break. Do a PewDiePie and just appear on the podcast or something for a couple months or as long as you want to.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

10 minutes ago, Flying Sausages said:

Luke can help out LTT channel can he?

Luke has his own thing going on with Floatplane. Doing both would be a huge undertaking like 36 hours a day lol.

Just now, imreloadin said:

Doing so would make him end up like Linus ?

Wherever and whenever Linus at, Luke is always be there. Best Friend Forever.

13 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Luke has his own thing going on with Floatplane. Doing both would be a huge undertaking like 36 hours a day lol.

Oh darn.

I just wanted to share what place tech has played in my life.

It's a good read if you ask me but long, it mentions god because that's part of my story but it's kind of funny how working on PC's played into my day's

https://petriebird3.wixsite.com/website/single-post/2019/05/08/My-Story

In short I got into drug's after HS, best friend ODed me on LSD, spent 4 year's alone with my computer and on my way out of that basement it helped me connect with people in need.

In that Story where your channel came into place was that I had been afraid of tech because it was such a crutch in the past, then shortly after building my 4570k and getting in contact with an old friend who was apparently a tech geek in parallel to me I started to figure it would be ok to take interest again.  (also it helped that my 2nd machine, 820d was gone and I could actually watch youtube).  But I came in right around the end of the kitchen set in the town-home.  I ventured off into some other tech youtubers and have made tech a healthy part of my life.

If you need to leave you will be missed but as always the tech world will move on.  I know that I have received a lot of my media consumption from youtube the past several years and you have been a fixture. I think that if you really want to make a difference the chance to do so will fall into your lap.  Maybe focus a little less on the business and a little more on the family and take a hiatus for an undisclosed amount of time where you may or may not come back.  If the resulting structure of LTT has a spot in it that you want to fill..... then do that.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

I want to be working. Personally I love working. I would go crazy if i was retired at 33.

Retiring doesn't mean doing nothing, it means doing the things you want which might often be the exact same ones but without the added pressure of having to be successful to fund your life, and it usually makes the same things a lot more fun. It also give you the ability to just say no when asked to do things you wouldn't enjoy.

That's actually exactly what Linus said he was going to do. So in a way he IS "retiring", to do the things he enjoys for what they are and not trying to find an extra justification for doing them anymore. These things just happen to be those he was already doing, for obvious reasons. 

That's exactly what I'd dream of being to do one day, so kudos to Linus for realizing he's in a position to and taking the opportunity.

In your normal work life if you want to try something new and dedicate a lot of time to it you always have that thought at the back of your mind that if it isn't successful and ends up not paying back you might get in trouble, and it will have an effect on your choices, you might decide to stay on the safer side becasue of it instead of what you'd really want to try. Retirement just means your life is funded anyway so nothing you do needs to be financially productive anymore, so you can just go wild and do whatever it is you enjoy and want to try, and there is no more penalty for "wasting" time. You can spend 3 years doing something just because you enjoy it that ends up never generating any revenue, and it's no problem. It just eliminates the "risk" part from your ventures, and that's a massive difference psychologically. It might work and pay back and if it does it's even better, but it's no longer a necessity.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Very touching video. I feel for Linus. It must be tiring working so much.

I can't remember who it was, but some other Youtuber scheduled a meeting with Linus and he was kind of surprised/shocked at how he just went there to meet Linus, and Linus was constantly trying to get some good camera angle, have something catchy to say and whatnot. I think he described it as Linus constantly being in "work mode". Linus strikes me as a work-a-holic and I think him cutting back on work would be good for both him and his family (judging by what was said in this video and what I have gathered from his and other peoples' videos).

But with all that being said, the cynical part of me who doesn't trust LTT and think they are the kings of manipulation, clickbait and ad pushers is kind of bothered by the whole "let's make a dramatic video where I talk about retiring, but I am not actually going to retire lol". Is this really the things you should publicly broadcast, not to mention put ads on and monetize the video? Why is Linus deciding to publish this video now when he isn't actually going to retire now and just keep working like normal for the foreseeable future? Why is he choosing to post a video about it rather than talk about it with his family, friends or maybe a therapist?

19 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Nick, Yvonne, Colton, Jono, Catherine(? sorry if i got your name wrong, I'm a bad person ,_,), James(? LTX?), Edzel and/or Taran, Riley (Techlinked), Brandon (or whoever does camera inventory), (there's a general inventory guy AAAAGH), Anthony and/or Jake....

also Dennis the unicorn

Yeah that's my point.  There are plenty of people there for a reshuffle that know the company well enough to know what direction to go.

19 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

This would be a good idea if he can find the right person.  The thing is who can run a new media/ internet 2.0 company better than someone who already does that? Everyone who does that well has a job running their own company.   Anyone with an education to maybe possibly do it right has student loans to pay for that MBA.  I suppose he'd have to hire another tech tuber. 

Or maybe one of those itinerant royals that are looking for work in that town?  

Maybe by pushing the current team up, freeing room to hire lower level positions?

Took me a minute to get that royals reference, it amazes me how much people care about them!

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Why is he choosing to post a video about it rather than talk about it with his family, friends or maybe a therapist?

Becasue we care about it and he knows it.

You're accusing him of being dishonest, which I don't recall ever seeing since I started watching LTT.

Ads, clickbait etc is just them being good at what the world requires them to do to be successful in the position they're in, and they've always done it honestly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Why is Linus deciding to publish this video now when he isn't actually going to retire now and just keep working like normal for the foreseeable future?

Not everyone deals with spectacular burnouts in the same way, and when it has you, your brain is often not thinking through things clearly. Obvious solutions can slap you in the face and you'll be oblivious to them.

I quit my job of 17 years due to burnout. I'd work a 5 day week at the business address then always be up to something at weekends for the business. Quite often travelling to shows. y boss at the time would always say if I could do work remotely on the laptop from home, do it. I rarely took him up on the offer. He'd also always say if I worked a weekend at a show, take a Friday or Monday off. I never did. It was until I quit my job right before Christmas, paying London sized rent and rates, that I realised he was trying to help before I burned out.

I'd also say, to everyone saying "promote other staff, shuffle them around", sometimes it's just not that easy. In my case, my boss was trying to step down for years so he didn't burnout. Most of the managers that stayed were good at their jobs, but none could actually run the business when the boss wasn't around. The company ended up closing 2 years after I left because it continued to hang off his neck like a ball and chain. He was unable to step back, like the people in this thread are telling him to do.

Sometimes, business and life just isn't that simple.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

Hi Linus,

There's always going to be a need for data systems and people will always want to game.

You have an amazing opportunity to help people make RESPONSIBLE DECISIONS when purchasing hardware and software.

There's a vast sea of hardware out there that's hard for one individual to navigate alone.

Instead of simply performance or price/performance you could look into evaluating how sustainably hardware is produced, the total lifetime carbon footprint, the company's ethical practices, the longevity and serviceability of the hardware to reduce the cycle of consumption, etc. Which software and services respect your privacy?

Even if you take a back seat on the channel you can point it in the right direction.

It's obvious you care, and with 10 million subscribers you have a bully pulpit to help the industry (and your viewers) be the best they can be.

21 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Couple problem with miatas.  There is a maximum height limit.  You’ve got to be able to fit in the car with the top up.  Also they’re extremely bad on snow.  Like don’t even bother in the winter bad.  Other than that though, sure.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Couple problem with miatas.  There is a maximum height limit.  You’ve got to be able to fit in the car with the top up.  Also they’re extremely bad on snow.  Like don’t even bother in the winter bad.  Other than that though, sure.

Shush you. The answer is always Miata, especially if a Miata is impractical.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Honestly I'd totally watch a video series about reusing used or older hardware especially server hardware in other ways to reduce waste since e-waste is a MASSIVE issue in our world currently.

Linus I have been following you since you started pushing zalman top mounted integrated water cooler radiator chassis. It was around when GTA3 came out so 8-19 yrs ago. You are my age and have always resonated with you. I think you might want to figure out how to offload the responsibility aspects of your job onto other people. Like money management, being the boss over your underlings, etc. Then just focus on the aspects of your job that make you happy. You should be in a place atm where you can take some of the load off your shoulders. Yes I know you like to micromanage but, if you offload responsibility for things that take up the most time and are not interesting to you and put them on someone's shoulders who is you will free up time for you to spend with your kids and also take some of the pressure off of you because after that video it sounds like you need a vacation but, you also realize all that stuff will still be there when you come back. Also I have seen when you take vacations you are constantly messaging the guys. You are a good dude it is time for you to not shoulder all the responsibilities. I think you leaving might be a mistake but, you need to see what is taking up the most amount of time and see if someone could do that job after you have trained them, etc. There may be some growing pains along with this but, you owe it to yourself, wife, and kids to spend more time with them. A job is a job, a passion is a passion, but family is family. Continue to be your awesome self and if you ever wanted someone to vibe with about old tech hit me up.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Why is Linus deciding to publish this video now when he isn't actually going to retire now and just keep working like normal for the foreseeable future?

I seriously doubt that Linus would step out without notice and allow the empire that is LMG crash because of it. There is a duty to advise the fandom and subscribers that things may be changing. This way was clearly chosen because a large number of these followers care about Linus, his staff, his family etc on some level and voice it.

Linus will continue to phase in other hosts, making sure they are well received and can handle the projects, as he's been doing for years. Without competent hosting there is no way he COULD retire. 

This question may as well have come from a robot. There is a clear answer here if you look at any human element of the situation.

Why is he choosing to post a video about it rather than talk about it with his family, friends or maybe a therapist?

I doubt this was Linus' big reveal to his family and friends. I'm sure that he has taken these steps prior to this video and spoken extensively with Yvonne about it. This is -again- Linus preparing us, his viewership of possible upcoming changes. 

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Retiring doesn't mean doing nothing, it means doing the things you want which might often be the exact same ones but without the added pressure of having to be successful to fund your life, and it usually makes the same things a lot more fun. It also give you the ability to just say no when asked to do things you wouldn't enjoy.

That's actually exactly what Linus said he was going to do. So in a way he IS "retiring", to do the things he enjoys for what they are and not trying to find an extra justification for doing them anymore. These things just happen to be those he was already doing, for obvious reasons. 

That's exactly what I'd dream of being to do one day, so kudos to Linus for realizing he's in a position to and taking the opportunity.

In your normal work life if you want to try something new and dedicate a lot of time to it you always have that thought at the back of your mind that if it isn't successful and ends up not paying back you might get in trouble, and it will have an effect on your choices, you might decide to stay on the safer side becasue of it instead of what you'd really want to try. Retirement just means your life is funded anyway so nothing you do needs to be financially productive anymore, so you can just go wild and do whatever it is you enjoy and want to try, and there is no more penalty for "wasting" time. You can spend 3 years doing something just because you enjoy it that ends up never generating any revenue, and it's no problem. It just eliminates the "risk" part from your ventures, and that's a massive difference psychologically. It might work and pay back and if it does it's even better, but it's no longer a necessity.

To each their own. The "risks" you talk about dont bother me.

I enjoy my hobbies but even then i wouldnt want to live like that personally. I like working. Im not saying i will always be working 60+ hours a week. But even at retirement age id want to be working a good 30-35 hours a week. That still leaves me plenty of time to do everything else i do. 

Now that could always change if i make it to 65 years old. But thats my mindset now.

2 hours ago, Killing-time-itself said:

Honestly I'd totally watch a video series about reusing used or older hardware especially server hardware in other ways to reduce waste since e-waste is a MASSIVE issue in our world currently.

Theres like thousands of videos on that on youtube already. Basically every tech channel starting out with a low budget does old hardware builds.

Its a pretty basic idea at this point. Older parts still function basically the exact same as newer parts. Just slower for the most part.

But even if someone with the reach as linus did it i wouldnt imagine it would do much yo solve the ewaste issues. 

31 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Theres like thousands of videos on that on youtube already. Basically every tech channel starting out with a low budget does old hardware builds.

Its a pretty basic idea at this point. Older parts still function basically the exact same as newer parts. Just slower for the most part.

But even if someone with the reach as linus did it i wouldnt imagine it would do much yo solve the ewaste issues. 

Budget builds official is my favorite for sure but I would like to see it branch out with more types of hardware like server and enterprise hardware which linus knows quite a bit about I think that would be cool and i would totally watch that

I'm new to youtube so I don't have years of watching to judge by but I've always loved tech.

I buy it. I've watched shows about it on tv in the past. I read about it, listen to podcasts about it. Now I started watching youtube channels about it.

I'd eat it if that was possible. ?

I like to watch Linus, tech quickie, techlinked for the tech entertainment. Him and the others there come across smart about how they do it, organized. They seem nice and don't poop on the audience.

When I watched this I felt uncomfortable though. At first I thought it was click bait, then it was depressing me. Then I thought well this is youtube so drama real or not has always been a thing. I like Linus and the crew but I don't want to see this again. Just saying.

Seriously I would buy a techlinked cereal with little marshmallow tech pieces in it, real blueberries and nuts. I can just picture Linus eating a bowl of it right now. :D