Linus on Live Stream (I've been thinking of retiring)

ddennis002
25 minutes ago, masethekiller said:

I am so glad right after this video Linus told us he isn't retiring!!!!!    Thanks!  You really made us believe you were serious for a few hours. 

I thought he was serious the whole time.  I still do.  I think it’s on his mind.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

There's been some signs by times in his more recent videos that he's been spending too much time on work for too long. Whatever time one puts in, it should be sustainable. And of a healthy work/life balance. Althought quite an emotional hit, at least there was an event to bring it home (no pun intended) before it's too close to home.

Some examples he's given show that he's considering his role as a parent with his children. One thing to remember is that children rarely remember the things you gave them, but they remember the time/times you spent with them, those important or those trival. It can be surprising what times they remember and talk about, in the following weeks, or years later.

As such, there can be unforseen consequences.

A couple of relevant, or not, illustrations.

I wish my father had heard listened to this before we were adults.

With this next artist, within the humour & song, sometimes the message is upfront, other times there's a message presented as an aside. Within Dark Side, when he changes gears around 9:32, shortly there's "Daddy never came to my ball games..."

(I couldn't refind the version where he hits all of the high notes)

On one hand I hope he sees this post and reads it. On the other, I hope he's instead spending that time with his family.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought he was serious the whole time.  I still do.  I think it’s on his mind.

I think he was sincere in the video and he is indecisive but at the same time , immediately after he makes a video saying he isn't retiring.   He is a youtuber, no video on youtube is really sincere, its planned, calculated, for an intended effect.  I am not saying that in a negative way.   Maybe both things were present at once, he became emotional over the 10 million milestone and started to reconsider his career/future and also saw a good opportunity to make a video about it. 

1 hour ago, masethekiller said:

immediately after he makes a video saying he isn't retiring. 

He never said he would even in the first video! 

He just had to reiterate it once more because people are stupid and misunderstand stuff in every possible way...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

He makes a big emotional video that makes it appear he might retire and then immediately makes a new video saying he isn't. If it was such a serious consideration, then why would you be able to immediately state otherwise. 

I am just saying its' gimmicky and obvious.  There is nothing wrong with that, the guy like many successful youtubers knows how to evoke the attention of his audience.  

1 hour ago, masethekiller said:

He makes a big emotional video that makes it appear he might retire and then immediately makes a new video saying he isn't. If it was such a serious consideration, then why would you be able to immediately state otherwise. 

I am just saying its' gimmicky and obvious.  There is nothing wrong with that, the guy like many successful youtubers knows how to evoke the attention of his audience.  

Because humans do that?  There seems to be this dichotomy of “it was done for the views only!” Or “it wasn’t done for the views at all!” I suspect the answer is somewhere in between.  I personally think more b than a.  Doesn’t mean there’s zero a though.  Almost Nothing is one hundred percent pure.  I think it was usefully pure. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This might be controversial, but I think Linus needs a serious Psychedelic Experience.

Despite all the jokes and so on about psychedelic that can be made, they do have legitimate uses for helping to process and deal with this kind of an existential midlife crisis. There's a reason they're being studies to be integrated into psychotherapy practices.

I'm sure Linus has a few friends that know enough to help him out and play the role of a sober sitter and guide.

All I can say is if I were Linus's friend I would be showing up with 5 grams of mushrooms, silent darkness, and working it out with him as his sober sitter.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, intertan said:

some of the team has done some video's in the past. Sure it will take time to train and possibly find others but having 1 host do the vast majority can burn him out. 

Wasn't there a video or Riley wanting to do more reviews and linus shot him down live on wan show? someone to start with.

There is a difference between "doing some videos" and "doing them right"  numerous times I saw them being oblivious about basic stuff (but I dont waste my long term memory on such things thus I cant remember exactly what in which videos but it could be something basic like the difference between PCI and PCIe etc) 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:54 PM, Bombastinator said:

Because humans do that?  There seems to be this dichotomy of “it was done for the views only!” Or “it wasn’t done for the views at all!” I suspect the answer is somewhere in between.  I personally think more b than a.  Doesn’t mean there’s zero a though.  Almost Nothing is one hundred percent pure.  I think it was usefully pure. 

in an age of youtube adpocalypse, doing a video with no sponsors is like doing work for free, getting million more views on an unsponsored video is basically a drop in the bucket in terms of profit margin, i really can't understand the mentality of people who thought this was a gimmick to get more views when the man is having a midlife crisis. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 1/27/2020 at 1:09 AM, masethekiller said:

He makes a big emotional video that makes it appear he might retire and then immediately makes a new video saying he isn't

he made a video saying he was THINKING about retiring.

then then made a statement on WAN Show, saying "stop freaking out, i'm not retiring yet/immediately"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

My information is that day trading isn’t actually a job.  It’s more like simple gambling disguised as a profession.

True but unlike gambling, you can actually count cards (i.e. analyze trends and patterns) meaning you only have a 51% to lose money.  I think most gambling odds are closer to 60% chance of losing especially since ties always go to the house.

9 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

True but unlike gambling, you can actually count cards (i.e. analyze trends and patterns) meaning you only have a 51% to lose money.  I think most gambling odds are closer to 60% chance of losing especially since ties always go to the house.

Depends on where you gamble. There is regulation on how much the house can swing the percentages in their favor.  In Vegas it’s something like -10%.  Higher in places like Macao or your average state carnival.  It’s still negative for day trading though because there is a fee every time a bet is placed, which is paid whether the bet wins or loses.  As with other gambling, the only one that ever wins is the house.

The stock market itself is not dissimilar.  There are very successful stack market buying systems based not on finding overperforming stocks but simply on finding low fees.  It doesn’t matter if the stock isn’t very good as long as the fee is unusually small, because compared to the difference between a good stock and a lousy one the fee is gigantic.

Hi.

This is my very first post here, but I really wanted to share some thoughts about Linus' "retirement" video.

I'm not really a computer tech fan, I stopped fiddling with hardware back in 2009 when I bought my first iMac. I'm not even that tech-savvy. I can build a computer from scratch, but I couldn't choose wisely the pieces. So why am I here?

A few years ago, I really had a bad time. I had my first burn-out, my dad passed away because of a cancer he hid from us for years. I had my wife, my kid, my sisters, my friends I could rely on, and yes, they where so supportive. But all this sh*t in my head, i really had a tough time dealing with all of it. I mean, sometimes life beats you down.

During these days I was at home, too worn out to keep up at work, I discovered LTT. It may sound stupid, but it really helped me getting out of the ditch. Having my daily dose of tech tips helped me think positive for a short while and really soothed my inner wounds. It became a ritual, I almost never missed a video since then.

To get to the point, when I saw Linus' "retirement" video the other day, I felt somehow...left alone. You know, when you best friend breaks contact because he found a girl? I didn't felt betrayed, no, because I've got a family and I really understand Linus' point of view. But thinking that I may not see him again on LMG's video kinda hurt me, deep inside.

I don't want Linus to leave.

PS: sorry for the mistakes, english is not my native tongue.

He's not retiring. At least not yet, it's just something that has been on his mind. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

@X99 Your post has been merged with the existing discussion about Linus' retirement video.
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear that LTT was able to help you through a rough time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1. When it was announced that Josh Homme, singer/guitarist for Queens of the Stone Age, and former guitarist for Kyuss, a verfied rock god, wouldn't be joining Eagles of Death Metal on tour, despite being their studio drummer. Jesse 'the devil' Hughes, the bands singer, was asked as to why. He said 'If I'm gonna get out of his shadow, he's gotta get out of my Sun. And I feel that is a really relevant concept to LTT, if we wanna stop papa Linus from burning out. Don't just put people on videos, as a sidekick. Don't just put them on without Linus. Assign them their own series within the LTT framework, according to their talents, and let them be their own Linus, within that framework, with their own underlings. They'll learn more as teachers, same as you did. If they work out, they work out, if they don't, they find another job. Meritocracy baby. It's the future. Fuck your sponsors. Believe in your meat puppets. BELIEVE.

2. Auftragstaktik. This isn't so cut and dry as it seems, there's a bit of complexity to it. At it's basest level, you don't tell someone how to do something, you tell them what to do, but let them figure out the details. BUT. You need to teach them the proper ways of doing 'the thing'... Which... I feel Linus is already doing... But fam... Learn to delegate... Learn to believe... Let go...

3. Brother you don't have to be all or nothing... Take a week off a month. If that works out come in every second week. Just be happy. We care more about your well being and mental health than we do about your videos.

4. Man, I've experienced this myself, to a lesser extent.. I led a gaming clan for 6 years.. And I didn't receive 1% of the help I needed. And while that might not be directly relevant. The feeling of something you love becoming a chore..... Man... I can relate....

5. If you don't love it anymore. Cash out. Go and find a new challenge. I won't blame you.

6. Omfg PLEASE do an interview with Kevin Pereira.

TL:DR: Man, just let go, let your underlings have more independence, WITHOUT you there. And do what you need to do to be happy. We believe in you man.

13 minutes ago, AceRimmer said:

Gesundheit ?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, AceRimmer said:

<snip>

I've merged your post in with the existing discussion about Linus' retirement video.
Welcome to the forum!

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

I've merged your post in with the existing discussion about Linus' retirement video.
Welcome to the forum!

My B fam. I looked for this post to comment on but couldn't find it. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps retiring is a better way of saying QUITTING

No one wants to be a QUITTER

But if Linus or his wife is not making enough salary then it can be time to walk away from it, but he doesnt want to lose his followers for his next ambition, so retiring conjob might be an angle for him. You know how major bands say they are "retiring" but they dont.