Friendship ended with Android, Now Windows NT is my best friend - Facebook tasks Windows NT Co-author to create it's own OS

rcmaehl

Sources;
Engadget (quote source)

TechCrunch

Summary:
Facebook has aimed to create it's own OS to reduce reliance on other companies. The project is spearheaded by Windows NT co-author Mark Lucovsky.

Quotes/Excerpts:

Facebook is developing its own operating system (OS),. In the future, Facebook's hardware products, like Oculus and Portal devices, could run on the OS, Facebook...said. The OS will be built from scratch. The project is being led by Mark Lucovsky, a former Microsoft engineer who co-authored the Windows NT operating system. Facebook has not indicated when the OS might arrive or which products would use it first. This isn't the first time Facebook has considered developing its own OS. Facebook once developed prototypes of a custom OS for Home, but ultimately decided to use Android. Facebook's current OS work is part of a larger effort to make the company self sufficient. "We really want to make sure the next generation has space for us," We don't think we can trust the marketplace or competitors to ensure that's the case. And so we're gonna do it ourselves."

My Thoughts:

Facebook, please, just make a linux distro. There's no need to make an OS from scratch and fragment the OS ecosystem anymore, even ChromeOS runs on a linux kernel. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if Facebook can successfully pull off creating a good user experience when creating it's OS. I'll be looking forward to it's eventual success of failure.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Even if it functions, there's no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it. I guess the best way to take and sell user data is to create their OS... *cough cough* Microsoft *cough cough*

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

why not just make a linux distro? 

oh right, you cannot hide telemetry in open source software

They also ensure that whoever works for them on this OS and platform cannot possibly work anywhere else ON anything else because it's all custom...

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Facebook, please, just make a linux distro. There's no need to make an OS from scratch and fragment the OS ecosystem anymore, even ChromeOS runs on a linux kernel. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if Facebook can successfully pull off creating a good user experience when creating it's OS. I'll be looking forward to it's eventual success of failure.

Seems like they are not going to make Linux distro and probably won't be an OS with security in mind. We are talking Facebook here. Anyway, anyone who uses it probably won't have their online security in the forefront of their mind.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Also correct. 

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

isn't everything just being store in plain text just open-source-lite? it's just a matter of someone getting access to it. which given facebook's track record it be cracked prior to it even being release

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope 

*walks out of door*

No way in hell am I touching an OS owned by Facebook.

50 minutes ago, TheUberMedic said:

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope 

*walks out of door*

No way in hell am I touching an OS owned by Facebook.

Is Google any better?

4 hours ago, ryao said:

Is Google any better?

You could use GMS-less android, which is pretty transparent.

The same cannot be said for this OS.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

You could use GMS-less android, which is pretty transparent.

The same cannot be said for this OS.

It does not exist yet, so nothing can be said for it.

20 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I hope they dont make a linux distro, linux and the entire community is broken, nothing functions right in distros for desktop/lap,top computers, only android works with a big layer of API built on top and with a lot of work from 3rd party phone manufacturers implementing their own drivers and optimizations plus a centralized main google app store.

I hope facebook makes a micro kernel open source OS from scratch with safety in mind, no doubt they will make it collect data but hopefully thats only on their devices, anyone else that uses this os can simply remove the spyware code b4 compilation, otherwise its a failed OS, closed source spyware OS like windows have no future, and if they do go that route i expect EU and US congress and russia and china to immediately ban it or force them open source it and remove those spyware.

8 hours ago, yian88 said:

closed source spyware OS like windows have no future

I see people say that, FOSS products have it’s benefits but I just don’t see anything taking over Windows in the enterprise market. MacOS certainly won’t because the products are too expensive and I think Linux is too scary for your average user.

As long as Microsoft just keep maintaining Windows 10 and don’t make any drastic changes, I just don’t see anything changing.

11 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I see people say that, FOSS products have it’s benefits but I just don’t see anything taking over Windows in the enterprise market. MacOS certainly won’t because the products are too expensive and I think Linux is too scary for your average user.

As long as Microsoft just keep maintaining Windows 10 and don’t make any drastic changes, I just don’t see anything changing.

The problem is desktop/laptop hardware is not made like android phones thats why any new OS will never enter enterprise.

Why? android phones are made with the OS preinstalled tested and configured and updated by 3rd parties(Samsung, Xiaomi etc), on desktop all laptop/desktop/servers are made without an OS with thousands of options for hardware choices each requiring drivers separately and testing, windows was the only one that tried to fit those needs, there is no other OS that can do that, instead we would have to change the model to something like android where you have 1 open source OS (like linxu based ones) and then those who asemble and sell hardware need to ensure that driver, security and feature updates will work. This is done in large part with linux currently but not for desktops or enterprise/office needs, linux design is not good for this task and its too divided for developers to start making pro software for linux , then there will be the issue that enterprise wants support which has to be offered by the 3rd parties, which is why you are right windows cant be challenged, not in this form.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, yian88 said:

I hope they dont make a linux distro, linux and the entire community is broken, nothing functions right in distros for desktop/lap,top computers

This is incorrect, over half of the laptops in my office run Ubuntu lts with zero problems for the 2 years I've worked their.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

12 hours ago, yian88 said:

snip

Yeah the idea of a Windows core or Kernel being open source would be interesting. There probably would be some Windows distros that I prefer over Windows 10 right now. It probably doesn’t me sense for Microsoft from a business standpoint.

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

This is incorrect, over half of the laptops in my office run Ubuntu lts with zero problems for the 2 years I've worked their.

According to your profile this is for software engineering? Does everyone running Ubuntu have technical prowess or do you have some ‘normies’ running Ubuntu?

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

In specific situations there is nothing wrong with Linux (in fact I would argue in those situations it is clearly better),  but on the whole for the average desktop user it just doesn't cut the mustard.  The evidence of this is in it's small user base which is highly limited to specialty use and dedicated design use, like yours and like government departments in china and russia etc.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, TempestCatto said:

So this OS will be a front door for government spying, no need for back doors anymore.

So like chrome then

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

According to your profile this is for software engineering? Does everyone running Ubuntu have technical prowess or do you have some ‘normies’ running Ubuntu?

We are a software engineers which might account for there being no problems :)

15 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

In specific situations there is nothing wrong with Linux (in fact I would argue in those situations it is clearly better),  but on the whole for the average desktop user it just doesn't cut the mustard.  The evidence of this is in it's small user base which is highly limited to specialty use and dedicated design use, like yours and like government departments in china and russia etc.   

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

We are a software engineers which might account for there being no problems :)

I won't argue it could work with no problems but...
The main issue I see here is in big environments, not using a centralized LDAP just gives me headache, and just thinking at using Linux desktop + LDAP authentication, messing up with PAM gives me another headache
On Windows is just 2 clicks after creating a local administrator user account

Facebook could easily develop an open source OS that has built in spyware, they're not going to give away the source for their platform applications are they?

It's all well and good offering the source code, but most people (those that don't really give a shit what they share online) won't care they that can compile code themselves after inspecting it line by line. They'll just click the download installer button. Doesn't take a lot to offer the source code, and a compiled version which contains their own applications and drivers which could be doing anything.

41 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

I won't argue it could work with no problems but...
The main issue I see here is in big environments, not using a centralized LDAP just gives me headache, and just thinking at using Linux desktop + LDAP authentication, messing up with PAM gives me another headache
On Windows is just 2 clicks after creating a local administrator user account

We actually use jump cloud for our LDAP

1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Facebook could easily develop an open source OS that has built in spyware, they're not going to give away the source for their platform applications are they?

Much like chrome is based on chromium