Apple, Amazon and Google unite to help create a universal smart home standard

Yep you read that right. Apple is working together with other tech giants to create a universal Standard.

Google, Amazon and Apple (plus others) have created Connected Home Over IP, a new working group managed by the Zigbee Alliance, which aims to develop a new, open smart home connectivity standard based on Internet Protocol (IP). For consumers, this will mean that stuff just works together, but it'll be a boon for developers, too, as a universal standard streamlines product development and reduces costs by giving them a blueprint for their products.

The other Zigbee Alliance board member companies include IKEA, Samsung SmartThings and Signify (the new name for Philips Lighting). They're all on board to help develop the "royalty-free connectivity standard."

Personally I like this new direction Apple is going of give customer what they are asking for. First with iPad, then MacBook Pro 16 and now this.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/18/apple-amazon-google-zigbee-smart-home-standard/

Orignal Article: https://www.blog.google/products/google-nest/developing-standard-smart-home-industry/

Apple: We need to bake security into this model
Google/Amazon: Yes, security with a backdoor so we can access and sell the data gathered
Apple: wh--no, secure
Google/Amazon: Yes, secure with a backdoor

Talks between the tech giants fell apart recently...

I'd be concerned about the security implication of this CHOIP or CHIP whatever they end up calling. People have probably seen the Ring stories that have come out the past few weeks. Hopefully it's a priority for these companies.

now data will be shared between everyone even more than it already is

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

now data will be shared between everyone even more than it already is

All it'll do is make the NSA's database management easier. They've got to be happy about it.

9 hours ago, techstreat said:

Yep you read that right. Apple is working together with other tech giants to create a universal Standard.

Personally I like this new direction Apple is going of give customer what they are asking for. First with iPad, then MacBook Pro 16 and now this.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/18/apple-amazon-google-zigbee-smart-home-standard/

Orignal Article: https://www.blog.google/products/google-nest/developing-standard-smart-home-industry/

I'll patiently wait and then get bored and forget about it.

The last thing anyone needs is a "smarthome" if existing smarTV's are anything to go by. Broken, disposable, vaporware that short of a few big names like Netflix getting their app's onto all of them, no single smart tv has every "app" needed to watch all these damn VOD services, and that's just a sign of things to come with "Smart Home"'s

Don't get me wrong, one reason why I've minimized buying any of this smarthome junk is the lack of interoperability nor any desire to adopt the "(brand) ecosystem" because each brand has some terribly designed garbage. In fact I actually stopped using one of the EVE devices because I was sick of replacing the batteries in it.

Until they can stop stuff from getting hacked none of this shit is going in my home. NONE OF IT. 

Its litterally pains me that my sister has muiltiple Google Home's in her house. Why would people be willing to put NSA listening devcies in their home? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Its litterally pains me that my sister has muiltiple Google Home's in her house. Why would people be willing to put NSA listening devcies in their home? 

To be honest, I've just never really seen the appeal of Google Home, Amazon Echo and Apple Homepod. Maybe if you fully buy into an ecosystem it becomes very practical. Not too sure. I know James from LTT uses either Amazon Echo or Google Home. He seems to find it useful.

12 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I've just never really seen the appeal of Google Home, Amazon Echo and Apple Homepod. Maybe if you fully buy into an ecosystem it becomes very practical. Not too sure. I know James from LTT uses either Amazon Echo or Google Home. He seems to find it useful.

me neither but its a wealth of info they are collecting on their consumers!

listening in on every word thats been said to report back to HQ

12 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

To be honest, I've just never really seen the appeal of Google Home, Amazon Echo and Apple Homepod. Maybe if you fully buy into an ecosystem it becomes very practical. Not too sure. I know James from LTT uses either Amazon Echo or Google Home. He seems to find it useful.

I don’t really see the appeal either but let’s be honest, most of us carry smart phones with us where ever we go. Don’t you think they’re being used in the exact same manner?

8 minutes ago, Founders said:

Don’t you think they’re being used in the exact same manner?

they are, with the apps that are installed, geo-tracks you everywhere because people just agree to tos.

5 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

they are, with the apps that are installed, geo-tracks you everywhere because people just agree to tos.

It was a rhetorical question but you’re not wrong in your response.

14 minutes ago, Founders said:

I don’t really see the appeal either but let’s be honest, most of us carry smart phones with us where ever we go. Don’t you think they’re being used in the exact same manner?

giphy.gif

I think I read about this in the bible. I don't think it had a good ending. But seriously I'm not having a smart home. I don't want my washing machine and my fridge gossiping about me in a language I don't understand.

5 minutes ago, Geoff35674567 said:

I think I read about this in the bible. I don't think it had a good ending. But seriously I'm not having a smart home. I don't want my washing machine and my fridge gossiping about me in a language I don't understand.

Agreed, that kind of stuff is making people lazier and lazier and hence fatter and fatter.

Something I won't use :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |