Apple, Amazon and Google unite to help create a universal smart home standard

Unless the standard moves mostly towards how HomeKit works, I don't see the effort as being worth it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Neat. This is how it should be. Curious to see what they come up with.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, techstreat said:

Personally I like this new direction Apple is going of give customer what they are asking for. First with iPad, then MacBook Pro 16 and now this.

This doesn't need to even be said. Stop praising Apple for doing things they should have been doing in the first place. It's like praising a murderer after he "got his life back together" even tho he spent most of his life as a criminal and is still a MURDERER.      (and I'm talking about the legit 1st degree ones, not an accidental dui or anything)

But i guess when you have already set the bar so low...

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

It took me some time to choose between zigbee and z-wave, and I think that z-wave was more reliable even though proprietary (zigbee is open), and I chose z-wave 2 years ago.

https://thesmartcave.com/z-wave-vs-zigbee-home-automation/

I have 5 different brands of z-wave at home and they all work together nicely. If someone can comment on zigbee from experience, please do.

Most of the smart home hubs support digital assistants. Basically this is a smart speaker calling api url. None of the 3 companies are interested in producing zigbee hardware, as far as I can se. So, where is the money for them? How will the new standard generate the income for them? Selling more smart speakers?

i'll stick to normal on-off switches thank you very much

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, tridy said:

So, where is the money for them? How will the new standard generate the income for them? Selling more smart speakers?

Creating universal standard will promote smaller companies to make smart devices since it will reduce there development costs. Also more people will be willing buy these new devices since universal standard will ensure you buy any device from any vendor, plug n play and you ae good to go.

Money for them is the more data they will have access to like sleeping habbit and so on.