Best Way to store Movies?

keavlar

Hey all,

What is the best way to store movies?

I mean, you have a bunch of movies, your video clips, that you wanna save for another 40 years.

What is the best way to do so. While still been able to watch them right away, with out need to download.

I was thinkiing about NAS, but at the same time even NAS can die, and kill all the files it had on it. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

You can't have everything at the same time.

You either pick long term or you pick quickly accessible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Cloud storage (though fast internet is required) 

2. Disks (lol) 

3. Hard drives (though must be stored in an airtight container)

4. SD cards and flash drives (Same as hard drives)

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

3 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

Hard drives (though must be stored in an airtight container)

Why in air tight container?

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can't have everything at the same time.

You either pick long term or you pick quickly accessible.

So if I use NAS, I can't stream from it? 

15 hours ago, keavlar said:

Why in air tight container?

he said he want to keep it for a long time(40 years Lmao) . it just slows down the degradation since nothing can corrode or damage it in  an air tight container.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

3 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

he said he want to keep it for a long time(40 years Lmao) . it just slows down the degradation since nothing can corrode or damage it in  an air tight container.

Ohhh XD  LOL , i get now

There's a tradeoff between reliability and performance/latency (and cost). Generally you want redundancy and backup.

Redundancy is the ability to suffer a disk loss without data loss. You could set up a ZFS pool or a RAID array or similar, that makes use of parity and can survive 1 or 2 (and in some cases, even more) disks dying at once. Generally ZFS and RAID arrays are faster (more bandwidth and smaller latency) when they are available nearby (e.g. in same local network on a NAS).

Backup is storing the data on another media and can also help with accidental deletions as long as the changes do not immediately sync. Generally the rule (3-2-1 backup rule) is to have 3 copies of your data, 2 are on different types of storage media and 1 is stored offsite/in the cloud.

How much are you willing to pay? And what kind of access times do you want/need?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I get a account Baidu cloud yrs ago, (requires a mobile no to activate, free!!)

its cloud is slow but it has 2 TB storage 

and its chiNazi, so dont store anything too important

or create a bunch of google accounts for google drive, 15GB each

make sure you keep your account names & pw well

3 hours ago, keavlar said:

Of course you can, but it's not good for long-term storage. Really, the proper(TM) way of doing it would be to have a NAS for easy access and then off-site storage for long-term backups, like e.g. tape-drives and tape-cartridges -- if something happened to your house, like e.g. burned down, the tapes in the long-term, off-site storage would still be safe and you could build a new NAS and restore the videos from the tapes.

A single NAS is not long-term suitable, and if you have no off-site backup, you have nothing to recover from if something happened to the site where your NAS is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, jj9987 said:

There's a tradeoff between reliability and performance/latency (and cost). Generally you want redundancy and backup.

Redundancy is the ability to suffer a disk loss without data loss. You could set up a ZFS pool or a RAID array or similar, that makes use of parity and can survive 1 or 2 (and in some cases, even more) disks dying at once. Generally ZFS and RAID arrays are faster (more bandwidth and smaller latency) when they are available nearby (e.g. in same local network on a NAS).

Backup is storing the data on another media and can also help with accidental deletions as long as the changes do not immediately sync. Generally the rule (3-2-1 backup rule) is to have 3 copies of your data, 2 are on different types of storage media and 1 is stored offsite/in the cloud.

How much are you willing to pay? And what kind of access times do you want/need?

N O idea.. XD.. as cheap as possible

10 hours ago, keavlar said:

You can use Plex. It allows you to steam from outside your home, you'll need to port forward, I also recommend getting an SSL certificate as well for better security. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

11 hours ago, keavlar said:

Well yeah you can but hard drives aren't as reliable for long term storage as tape.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Keeping your movies on a NAS is great for quick local access, especially if more than one computer wants to access a movie. However, it's not particularly secure by itself. You also need to backup the movies onto sets of external drives, preferably one set kept locally for quick access should something go sideways on the NAS, and the other set kept offiste somewhere. 

There are several kinds of media you can use to backup your movies. HDDs are the least expensive and are in the middle range for data retention when in cold storage (i.e. not being accesses for extremely long periods, such as years). HDDs are currently the most cost effective storage medium but they need to be run periodically to keep them from going bad from disuse.

Tape is king for cold storage and is inexpensive, especially for huge data amounts, but the hardware needed to use it can be insanely expensive.

SSDs fall in the middle when it comes to cost but rates at the bottom for data retention in cold storage. Unless powered up and read at least once a year (more often being preferable), the charge in the cells that determines the bit values in the cells will slowly bleed off.

Data archival is not static and long term storage reliability means it must be checked for loss every so often. Also, technology is not static and various storage media keeps becoming obsolete. 8" floppies, then 5" and 3.5" floppies have become pretty much extinct. A lot of people have lost data because the hardware needed to read from have become almost impossible to find anymore. As technology advances and older technology begins to become obsolete, it will be necessary to update the old media the data is on to more current media.

I keep my movies on a couple of 4TB SSDs in my desktop computer. Each one has a set of four backup SSDs. Two SSDs of each set are kept onsite and the other two of the set are kept in my safe deposit box at my credit union. The onsite and offsite backup drives get swapped out at least once a month (more often if I had critical data to any one of my computer drives) to keep the backup drives as up to date as possible. Despite the lower data retention time of SSDs, I chose to go with them because of the weght and amount of space taken up by ten 4TB 3.5" HDDs. I'm old and schlepping those backu drives was kiilling my shoulders! Most people will find SSDs to be too impractical for large amounts of data storage, especially for long periods of cold storage.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Mega.co.nz gives you 50GB and is probably the fastest among free cloud storage.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, williamcll said:

So one remuxed 1080p BluRay movie. Free cloud with that kind of capacity isn't really relevant. Free cloud isn't really relevant at all. Wasabi or Backblaze B2 are going to be the cheapest for meaningful amounts of backup storage.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

I wouldn't trust Mega any further than I could spit upwind in a class 5 hurricane!

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Laugh all you want, D.U.F.F. Woul you trust your data with a company that has already ben shut down once due to shady activity, causing people to lose all their data, is now owned by a Chinese National who acquired it via a hostile take ove, and has incompetent programmers and tech "help"?

Jeannie

For 40 years or more, probably magnetic tapes in a nitrogen filled container (or some other inert gas) or in a storage vault (like those old salt mines with 24/7 temperature and humidity control ... and you'd still have to periodically (every few months) turn the tapes on the other sides, to prevent tape from sticking or minimize various chemical effects.

Of course, you'd have to store multiple copies of the machines which could read the tapes.

archival optical media is good for maybe 8-10 years ... if you use regular dvd+r or bluray discs i wouldn't trust them for more than 5 years.

Cheapest and most convenient would be multiple hard drives in a unit or several units in a rack and some system that spreads each file across multiple drives. Periodically, let's say every six months, add new drive to the pool and after around 3-6 months when you're fairly sure the drive is probably gonna last, remove the oldest drive from the pool. 

Statistically, mechanical drives fail most often in the first 3 months of 24/7 use, and the mortality rate goes up after 3 years by small amounts and is noticeably higher after 5 years.

Ideally, you'd have a duplicate of the whole system or something more basic in case that something really bad happens to the master setup and you lose data (fire, water, electricity power surge, theft, earthquake, whatever)

SSDs can work, but I think they have to be refreshed more often than mechanical drives and if I remember correctly, they don't die as gracefully as mechanical drives - i mean usually you start to see SMART errors with mechanical drives and you have at least a few hours or days where you can copy some data from mechanical drive. With SSDs often it's controller dying or some kind of failure that's instant, and often unrecoverable.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

...SSDs can work, but I think they have to be refreshed more often than mechanical drives and if I remember correctly, they don't die as gracefully as mechanical drives - i mean usually you start to see SMART errors with mechanical drives and you have at least a few hours or days where you can copy some data from mechanical drive. With SSDs often it's controller dying or some kind of failure that's instant, and often unrecoverable.

For the most part you are correct about SSDs. However, any drive--SSD or HDD--can fail irrecoverably at any time without any warning whatsoever. The only way to resonably ensure data is safe is for it to exist in at least three separate places.

For most people, HDDs are the most cost effctive and durable for long term storage but they still will need to be exercised at least once a year to ensure they do not seize up.

Jeannie

Assuming you can keep them in a cool and dry place, blurays have a shelf life of 50ish years. Just make sure they have inorganic dyes. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

If you get a NAS, just know you don't need the speed of for example ZFS unless you have multiple people streaming at the same time (I don't know the number of streams before it's needed tho, but it's def mere than two).

Benefit of Unraid with parity is that if you are unlucky and parity drives plus one more fail, you only lose the data on that one. The data on the rest is ok and do not need possessing as nothing is striped as it is in Raid.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking