Didn't it die already? Bethesda moving forward with the Fallout 76

Thaldor

(I thought someone could use few laughs to cheer up their day, so don't read this in serious voice in your head, a lot of sarcasm is included and at this point everybody is already bored with Fallout 76 so take this as a piece of humor)

Sources (oh, yeah, there's more than one for this):

News story, what to expect from the future

How it all works and what fun you can get

Patch notes telling how fun the fun is

Reddits unoffical bug roundup about how fun the fun actually is

Long time ago, in an office far far away... blablabla... Everybody knows Bethesda made the dumpster called Fallout 76 which is still on fire and that fire is even spreading to anything that even touches Fallout 76 (like GameStops moldy Nuka-cola helmets). And somehow someone still thinks we haven't heard enough and those poor souls who couldn't refund their copies and haven't found anything else to play haven't paid enough for the experience to play the Fallout 76.

Let's start with what Bethesda promos for incoming (first source): Free DLC: Wastlanders (who cares), Private servers (which already are in the game, more later), Atomic Shop changes or more like breaking promises and adding fuel to the fire. Bethesda promised when Fallout 76 came that the game would have cosmetic only microtransactions, later they brought repair kits, scrap kits and other stuff that wasn't cosmetic and in the future they are going to go full Pay-2-Win:

Our approach to these items at launch was to keep them purely cosmetic. But after looking at all the data, it became clear that to consistently deliver content that keeps Fallout 76 fresh and exciting for all, we needed to rethink our approach to the Atomic Shop.

While we had many ideas on what to add to the Atomic Shop, one of the ways was the direct result of the community’s feedback. We heard from many of you who wanted items with some real utility. Starting in April, we began adding items such as Repair Kits, Scrap Kits, the Collectron Station, and a working Refrigerator. These have since become the most popular category in the Atomic Shop...

So, who is surprised that items that bring clear advantage and remove some inconveniences are the most bought items? They probably needed to hire very expensive consultant to do very expensive and through feedback analytics to find that out.

No, really, if you put an item that gives players even tiny bit of advantage to the store, without a doubt in every scenario it will turn the game to P2W and the cosmetic side of the store will be forgotten. And Bethesda knows this and as they say, the Atomic Shop will have in the future even more P2W items that give players advantages and remove inconveniences.

Of course, players can also buy Atoms, and we’re careful with everything we add to not upset the game’s balance. Our main objective is to avoid a situation where players can spend money to gain a competitive advantage or make the game worse for other players. Even more so, we want systems that allow players who do choose to buy Atoms to make the game better for others, not just themselves. With these principles in mind, we make careful decisions about the items we offer to keep it fair for everyone.

They try to be tricky and nice, but at least in my opinion and experience, they are going to go fast and far deeper into the realms of P2W and quite probably as easily as they can which means half baked items that totally broke the last bits of balance there is.

About breaking things, now that we have cleared into what Bethesda wants from the future, the future is now and Bethesda wants to break the bank next. Introducing Fallout 1st subscription (2nd source).

With only $12,99 (or for us in the EU €14,99) a month (or $99,99 or €114,99 a year) you can get your own private worlds to share with 7 of your friends, unlimited storage box for your crafting components, placeable fast travel point with your basic needs, 1,650 Atoms per month, Ranger Armor outfit and some icons and emotes only available for the Fallout 1st members.

spacer.png

And all of this is out there right now, broken as usual (4th source).

Private worlds aren't as private as one would think because apparently anyone from your friends list can join them if they are not full and while in Fallout 76 you apparently can block people by adding them to your friends list and then blocking them, this doesn't apply on private worlds. Also the private worlds, the few lost souls who actually paid for this, aren't as new as they are promised to because they may end up finding dead NPCs, already looted places and other signs that someone has been there before them.

Also the scrap box which should provide infinite storage for your stuff is also broken and if you don't wait for a sync between the server (apparently the game lags/freezes when it syncs the world with the server (pure AAA quality with millions of dollars behind developing it)) the unlimited storage turns into a shredder and all your stuff has disappeared. And if more than one Fallout 1st member plays on a private server possibly only the "owner" of the server can access their scrap box.

The placeable tent that works as fast travel point and should provide your basic needs, really takes care of your basic needs by causing the game to crash to the desktop and as bonus if it's your private world, every other player can also take a nice bathroom break because they are also kicked from the server.

Even the most simple thing that the Fallout 1st membership gives you is broken. The ranger armor if updated (painted) will show wrong model in somewhere and the cause apparently is that Bethesda is lazy as hell and used Armor Keywords mod (apparently not even published in Fallout community, but in Nexus) in their inventory and now it goes haywire.

Only luck in all of this seems to be that Bethesda has broken thing so far that PC players can't buy the Fallout 1st membership from the in-game button.

My thoughts:

Fallout 76? Didn't it die like few months after the launch? Does someone really play that thing still? I am completely lost.

I just watched about it in here, yeah... I literally cannot understand how people are still playing this game... Even if you somehow enjoy it c'mon it's disgusting all the practices Bethesda has taken with it.

Should be long gone.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Holy shit, thats more broken than... everything!

Edit: also isnt this a paid game?

✨FNIGE✨

13 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Edit: also isnt this a paid game?

Yes, it is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I just watched about it in here, yeah... I literally cannot understand how people are still playing this game... Even if you somehow enjoy it c'mon it's disgusting all the practices Bethesda has taken with it.

Should be long gone.

I already bought it, so I might as well get my money's worth. That'll be a lot of hours of gameplay with how laggy/buggy/crash-laden it is. How Elder Scrolls Online could work so well in terms of stability, and this game cannot, is beyond me. It's like Bethesda unlearned how to make an online game.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

all they needed to do was make a coop fallout 5. They didnt need to do this mess.

23 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

It's like Bethesda unlearned how to make an online game.

I bet they lay off staff when their salaries get above graduate level

Laymen Gaming also pointed out that 1,650 atoms offered with this subscription is a few hundred atoms less what some of the high tier cosmetics are worth, encouraging players to spend more to get these items.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

and that's why i never cheer for a company. They will always take the opportunity to screw you over as soon as it shows up

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I hear people enjoying this game now that it's a little bit more polished than it launched. But this Fallout 1st stuff is pretty wild. For less than half of that you could subscribe to Xbox Game Pass (it's $4.99 a month) and play The Outer Worlds, Gears V, and a bunch of other titles. The full games.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

6 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

-snip- How Elder Scrolls Online could work so well in terms of stability, and this game cannot, is beyond me. It's like Bethesda unlearned how to make an online game.

Because basicly it was done by a different company that didn't use the Morrowind Oblivion Skyrim-engine to cut the costs and get a shortcut (yes, Fallout 76 is such a mess because Bethesda uses still now heavily modded Morrowind -engine that was trashed with Oblivion and then they brought some of the old engine team back to try to fix things with bubblegum and duct tape for Skyrim and then they moved/kicked the old beards away because reasons and now they just use some fanmade mods as icing for that monstrosity). Doesn't even help things that Fallout 76 isn't made by the lead team (behind TES and mosty other Fallouts) but some newbie team. So, in short TESO was build by far more veteran MMO team (led by Matt Firor who earlier worked at Mythic that made Dark Age of Camelot) and used a game engine made for MMOs (HeroEngine) while Fallout 76 is made by people who might have never worked with MMOs led by a guy who is known to cut corners and usually just counts the moneys, with a engine that has been a trainwreck for more than 10 years (Creation Engine).

33 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

The next Elder Scrolls better be good...

Literally how i feel, its one of the few titles i look forward to on each release but i have serious doubts that they can make any good games now. The only part of Zenimax i trust is ID Software, DOOM has been fantastic and i cannot wait for DOOM ETERNAL.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

You must be an idiot to buy this garbage for 100 bucks. A YEAR. If this is the trend they are planning to continue then I'm not even going to buy anything from Bethesda itself again. They made latest Wolfenstein a total meme and only good franchise they still own is The Elder Scrolls and Doom. The first one still holds the buggy reputation of Bethesda where Doom thankfully doesn't. So, TES is still far away and Doom is looking good for the spring of 2020. I rather see it delayed than being a mess. And if they mess that up as well, they are basically done. They'll have nothing under their belt worth even considering. And when you put company in that kind of position, it's gonna be pretty bad financially and when you shoot down your reputation, you'll have hard time selling anything.

Note taken to not get near anyone who actually falls for this scummy subscription model for an inherently broken - scrap that, still broken - game made by a company who clearly doesn't care anymore.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Yikes. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

The next Elder Scrolls better be good...

they've lowered the bar to such a point that even if tes6 is average at best, it will look amazing in comparison 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

"Moving forwards". You spelt 'backwards' wrong.

The dumpster fire Fallout 76 is, everything is forwards. And I didn't specify forward and toward to what ?

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

they've lowered the bar to such a point that even if tes6 is average at best, it will look amazing in comparison 

That's the master plan :D

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

70% chance that it won't

Most likely, they already said they plan to keep using the same game engine with their buggy code.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

It's kind of baffling to me that this is the same company that made Skyrim. 

If this was either some small startup studio trying to make a buck, or an experimental small project from an established studio (e.g. Fortnite) I could understand this being a total cash grab mess. But Skyrim sold well over 30 million copies and was the most single player or single player games. That's not to say that Skyrim was some masterpiece or anything, but it was wildly successful and despite its flaws its still widely considered to be a great game. Fallout 4 less so, but it could be argued that most of Fallout 4's issues stem from them trying to shoehorn in features and "cinematic" aspects from other popular games rather than stick to the type of game that they do best. 

Zenimax is a private company, and while they have done some real shady, evil shit in the past you'd think that they would just stick to the money printing machines that were Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Even post Fallout 4 Bethesda was still pretty highly regarded, but at this point they are right down there with EA for one of the worst developers/publishers in the industry in terms of public perception.

I guess it remains to be seen how popular Skyrim 2 (lmao) is going to be, but I have to imagine that after 76 they must have lost at least some of their most devoted fans. Probably not enough to meaningfully hurt their business, but I doubt that they can make a game at this point with anywhere near the influence to those they made in the past.