Didn't it die already? Bethesda moving forward with the Fallout 76

Thaldor
3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

-snip-

It's really not that hard to see that this is the same company that made Skyrim. Since TES IV: Oblivion everyone expects to mod every Bethesda game to be the polished version of itself and wait for few modders to update their mods that fix a shit ton of bugs and problems. With Fallout 76 the difference is that the modders can't fix Bethesdas shit this time and you can see it how good Bethesda is when there isn't an army of people donating their time and skills to fix the game.

Pure vanilla Skyrim as it was released was a huge pile of bugs and problems and some bugs have staid in the engine since TES III: Morrowind from 17 years ago and some major bugs still present were introduced with Oblivion in 2006 and Bethesda didn't fix anything for Fallout 3. Only times someone has really tried to fix things that reside inside Creation Engine has been Obsidian when making New Vegas (major part why it was rushed in the end and ended up being even worse than Fallout 3 on the engine side) and when initially developing Skyrim. After that some game breaking bugs has been fixed but mostly things have been adding new renderer on the engine for Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE and changing some other parts from here and there causing even more trouble (like the Skyrim SEs memory leak/out of bounds problems). And making things worse Bethesda hasn't really by itself fixed a shit, they have just thrown some mods inside the Skyrim and Fallout 4 to fix something and most of those have been labeled as "temporary until proper fix is made by Bethesda".

And not to even scratch the surface of the bad habits Bethesda has when developing. Like if they try to make something that the Creation Engine isn't really made to do, they just do it with bubblegum and duct tape and hope it stays together and no one notices what they did. One of these is the heavily scripted and many "special" effects using scenes like the Skuldafn in Skyrim which only works because it's placed in it's whole own world space as big as the whole main Skyrim. And their worst is that they clutter things really well like leaving test and developer areas into the games and not deleting unused items, characters, objects, scripts etc. from the gold version that is shipped and making a lot of unnecessary things like special weapons for cinematics because setting some characters health to 1 is too much scripting and making a revolver that has damage of 9999 is easier.

Bethesda could fuck up bottling water, hand them a 2litre bottle and point them to a tap, and they'd fill the bottle half way, glue the top on, fuck up said bottle so it leaks, sell a replacement cap in the store while not fixing the glued on top, and just so happen to have a properly sorted bottle in the store, but the water inside is stale and from a toilet.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 hours ago, Thaldor said:

It's really not that hard to see that this is the same company that made Skyrim. Since TES IV: Oblivion everyone expects to mod every Bethesda game to be the polished version of itself and wait for few modders to update their mods that fix a shit ton of bugs and problems. With Fallout 76 the difference is that the modders can't fix Bethesdas shit this time and you can see it how good Bethesda is when there isn't an army of people donating their time and skills to fix the game.

Pure vanilla Skyrim as it was released was a huge pile of bugs and problems and some bugs have staid in the engine since TES III: Morrowind from 17 years ago and some major bugs still present were introduced with Oblivion in 2006 and Bethesda didn't fix anything for Fallout 3. Only times someone has really tried to fix things that reside inside Creation Engine has been Obsidian when making New Vegas (major part why it was rushed in the end and ended up being even worse than Fallout 3 on the engine side) and when initially developing Skyrim. After that some game breaking bugs has been fixed but mostly things have been adding new renderer on the engine for Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE and changing some other parts from here and there causing even more trouble (like the Skyrim SEs memory leak/out of bounds problems). And making things worse Bethesda hasn't really by itself fixed a shit, they have just thrown some mods inside the Skyrim and Fallout 4 to fix something and most of those have been labeled as "temporary until proper fix is made by Bethesda".

And not to even scratch the surface of the bad habits Bethesda has when developing. Like if they try to make something that the Creation Engine isn't really made to do, they just do it with bubblegum and duct tape and hope it stays together and no one notices what they did. One of these is the heavily scripted and many "special" effects using scenes like the Skuldafn in Skyrim which only works because it's placed in it's whole own world space as big as the whole main Skyrim. And their worst is that they clutter things really well like leaving test and developer areas into the games and not deleting unused items, characters, objects, scripts etc. from the gold version that is shipped and making a lot of unnecessary things like special weapons for cinematics because setting some characters health to 1 is too much scripting and making a revolver that has damage of 9999 is easier.

To be fair that last point is probably down to how often scripts like to bork up.

That said thats honestly completely besides the point, as is most of that stuff. At the end of the day your average Fallout/TES game upto now has worked just fine out the box for the majority of the people the majority of the time. Thats not to say they don't have plenty of issues, but they're playable despite those for the majority.

The real core issue is that they insist on using an ever more modified creation engine for absolutely everything. For Fallout games and TES games that works. Thats what it was built for. For anything else it's a complete disaster because of the amount of bodge work required. At the end of the day Bethesda has allways been super lazy, but thats because they've been able to get away with that. Fallout 76 is the first time it's bitten them on the arse in a big way. And it pretty much entirely comes back to the fact that this is the first time they screwed up so bad that there's problems making the game nigh unplayable for a majority of players from day 1.

Why do people still support this studio? I swear pc gamers are like battered spouses. They take so much abuse yet they still support and make excuses for them. So until you STOP buying their products/micro transactions, they will continue to screw everyone over. 

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

1 hour ago, ManyCoresGuy said:

Why do people still support this studio? I swear pc gamers are like battered spouses. They take so much abuse yet they still support and make excuses for them. So until you STOP buying their products/micro transactions, they will continue to screw everyone over. 

No, there is just so many of them there will always be thousands of idiots still buying things everyone says not to buy. Unfortunately.

17 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Snip

Make no mistake, I'm not defending Bethesda or their awful, buggy engine. I thought Skyrim was super mediocre and I actively hate Fallout 4. It's embarrassing how despite their massive size and popularity they still can't devote a team to build them a new engine tailor made for the types of games that they excel at, and their recent attempts to monetize the modding community that makes their games so appealing is pretty despicable. 

Despite all that, they were still more or less beloved by the majority of the gaming community and were able to sell games hand over fist. I understand that Zenimax is a business and a potential new way to monetize through microtransactions may be appealing to them, but judging by the fact that they can barely even give away copies of Fallout 76 it seems like that strategy has failed them, and we've reached a point where putting Bethesda on the box no longer sells units. Despite that, they keep doubling down. Rather than saying, "hey, we're going to support 76 for the next 6-12 months and then we're going to take down servers to focus on Elder Scrolls 6" or hell even "we are working on expansion pack for 76 to add a story and meaningful single player progression to what is by all accounts a nicely rendered game world", they just keep going out of their way to piss everyone off. 

Tl;dr: the bar for Bethesda games was already exceeding low, yet they keep pulling it lower and lower with each passing week.

Jaysus people buying this are mental. The game is still a buggy broken mess. I got it months ago on sale for €5, and it was a waste of money.

Game crashes to desktop plenty on my system, and I've gotten about 2 hours max actually played in that time. Then my progress wasn't correctly, saved or my camp. 

Bethesda ia goddamn mess.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 10/25/2019 at 1:41 AM, Thaldor said:

So, in short TESO was build by far more veteran MMO team (led by Matt Firor who earlier worked at Mythic that made Dark Age of Camelot) and used a game engine made for MMOs (HeroEngine)

huh.  I've been playing ESO for a wile and have thought of trying some of their other games...guess I might not like them as much.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

It doesn´t even matter how big Bethesda screws up because people will forgett it once pre-orders for Sykrim 6 are available.