Do you/can you drive a manual?

Founders
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Do you/can you drive a manual?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What option best describes you?

• Yes, my primarily vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, my secondary vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, but I don't have access to a car with a manual transmission.
    • No, I don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

12 minutes ago, masethekiller said:

Lol Toyota Corolla in 2018 sold more cars alone than all of Tesla, that is one single car sold more than the whole brand.  Electric sales make up about 1 percent of car sales.  Also Telsa except for two quarters has never made a profit, the only reason the company has not gone bankrupt is because of government subsidies. 

Electric cars are not rational, maybe some countries in Europe will have them be mandated and forced upon drivers but otherwise  the facts and practicality of electric cars don't pan out. Consumers of their own free will don't want electric cars.  In asia, america, south america, the rest of the world except Europe, gasoline cars will continue to be the norm.  

The whole electric car thing and global warming hysteria has taken on a group/herd mentality.  Some people think electric cars are going to magically save the planet. 

First, please learn to use the quote feature on the forum.  People shouldn't have to guess whether or not you've replied to their posts.

As for the subject at hand, let me be explicit: you genuinely don't know what you're talking about.  You're making demonstrably false, easily debunked claims and unsupported assumptions.  Tesla has been profitable for three consecutive quarters this year, and has been profitable in multiple quarters before that.  Government incentives have helped make Tesla's prices more palpable early on, but remember that the incentive has been cut dramatically in 2019 -- it was down to $1,875 by July.  Tesla's sales were improving even as incentives went down, and price adjustments didn't fully counter that.

Also, no shit the Corolla sold more than Tesla in 2018, it's a long-serving, iconic model that starts at less than $20K.  I didn't say that Tesla was dominating the market, just that there is evidence of strong demand and that the Model 3 is clearly leading sales in its price class.  There's also no question that Tesla will sell many more EVs in 2019, and that's before the Model Y and pickup truck arrive.

Electric cars are perfectly rational.  On the whole, they're less expensive to run (charging costs much less than gas) and maintain (far fewer moving parts).  You can top up at home, in parking garages, and other places where gas stations aren't an option.  And yes, they're overall more helpful to the environment, even in some areas where coal and other dirty power sources are still common.  That's not including immediate benefits like cleaner city air and reduced noise.  People do want EVs of their own free will, they just want the price to come down and the range to go up; both are happening. 

EVs won't automatically save the planet, and I agree that some parts of the world will be slower to adopt them (though you've clearly forgotten about China's big EV push).  But they are overall beneficial, and they're practically necessary if we're going to move toward self-driving cars.  And what's frustrating is that you're being very myopic, only looking at static figures from the past; you're purposefully ignoring trends, publicly stated plans from major automakers and other contextual data that shows where the industry is going.  The industry as it is now is not a reflection of how it will always be.

To get this back on track: I look forward to hearing about your experiences driving without manual transmission when you get an EV in the years ahead.

28 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Bolt

I don't think I've ever seen a car so devoid of style before. This car is certainly for people who don't want to be excited, like most modern VW's and Ford's. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

20 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I don't think I've ever seen a car so devoid of style before. This car is certainly for people who don't want to be excited, like most modern VW's and Ford's. 

Or, you know, for people who don't have the same exact taste as you do

Jeez, what is it with car folks and fashion policing?

19 minutes ago, Yebi said:

People can’t accept that people have different tastes. My taste in cars is very wide and very bizarre, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate one’s taste in cars even if it’s not mine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You haven't lived until you shift five on the tree.

Holy moly, bet that is interesting.  Most I done is four on tree.  Was not aware there was even a five on tree.

4 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

You can still baby the fuck out of a 6-speed automatic (not to mention anything with more gears) to the point of getting manual fuel economy. Mom's got a 2017 SS with the auto and she really is into manual SS territory with fuel economy (which really isn't all that high, ~17 average, largely consisting of city driving) but still.

What year is your Civic? Because if we're talking, say, a 1994 Civic with a 5-speed manual, it had better be getting 40mpg, but if it's something newer, it'd give some more context against the CVTs that Honda puts into the modern Civics.

Yep.  I can on average get 22-25mpg out of my automatic V6 Tacoma SR5 in a city.  Highway I can average around 26-28mpg.  Now if I baby the crap out of it.  I got as high as 30mpg on highway with that truck.  My fav thing is when I get to drive my Mom's automatic Optima.  Highest I got out of it is 40mpg on highway.  Of course, my nutty self manage to get 70mpg out of a LS650 Suzuki Motorcycle.  Though, I put that more on the fact that I don't weigh enough to bother the motorcycle.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Lol exactly you admit that one single car , a toyota corolla outsold an entire electric car company.  Yet that person wants to claim that electric cars are the 'future' and inevitable and did you see the model 3 outsold every other car in their class,etc.  lol. 

Electric cars have no future unless they are mandated  and it's not rational to spend far more money on a car that  is less and doesn't' really have better environment impact either. It depends where you live, but the fact is over 70 percent of electricity is produced by fossil fuels, so your 'clean' electric  is actually polluting and possibly more than a gasoline car. I don't know if there are any studies if a say a honda civic which is a low emissions vehicle versus a Tesla powered by coal generated electricity.  I would guess the gas powered electric car is cleaner.  Also battery production and disposal of electric cars present serious environmental concerns.  Does a tesla cost less to own?  That is questionable too.  For one it depends on how your cost of electricity which great varies through out the united states, does a tesla 3 cost less to operate than a honda civic or corolla that gets 40 MPG and if so how much/  If it does, is it cheaper over the life-time with that 15-20k premium?  Part of the premium is paying for the batteries.  So maybe you could pay less per the equivalent tank but at a substantial overall higher cost of buying the car. 

It's not rational because your paying a substantial premium for a car that even then with a 7,000 dollar tax credit is still 15-20k over a similar car except it is faster, isn't practical, requires that you charge overnight for hours at a time on a charge which less in the whole range than a typical car that has over 300 miles to a tank and has a limited range in terms of long distance travel, yes there are electric charging stations but those are limited, particularly compared to gas stations. Virtually anywhere in the united states there are gas stations, you will probably only find tesla charging stations along interstates and major cities.  Add that on top of questionable environmental benefits of an electric car. 

Why is it rational to spend more for less?  Electric cars are largely being pushed by irrational and highly emotional people who are in hysteria over global warming and the environment. 

7 minutes ago, masethekiller said:

Why is it rational to spend more for less?  Electric cars are largely being pushed by irrational and highly emotional people who are in hysteria over global warming and the environment. 

You're conflating "irrational and highly emotional people" with climate change. Climate change is real, the entirety of the scientific community agrees on the subject. It's objective fact, not the result of an emotional response.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

10 minutes ago, masethekiller said:

Electric cars have no future unless they are mandated

I disagree with this. Densely populated areas like Los Angeles and New York would see a noticeable difference in air quality with the switch to electric vehicles. How that electricity is produced is another issue altogether, but there are plenty of environmentally friendly ways to produce electricity. Many people also don't care about the box they sit in for 2 hours a day, and just want to get to and from work consistently, and to and from the store consistently.

As for the note about infrastructure, that can be solved with time in the same way that the fuel stations infrastructure was solved. Internal-combustion engines didn't become a thing because fuel stations were dotted across the land.

On the note of "paying a premium", that's the case with all new technology. Nearly every technological advancement in any automobile today was exclusive to auto-racing, before going into high-end cars, and then low-end cars. ABS, direct injection, variable valve timing, electronic throttle bodies, disc brakes, variable speed electronic steering, forced induction, unibody chassis, manufacturing materials, etc.. The same holds true for any industry.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, Yebi said:

No I fully understand that people have different tastes. Sure the Bolt isn't my sort of car but doesn't mean it's 'crap' car. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

where i live (austria) you ususally learnd to drive in cars with manual transmission.

you can choose to do so in an automatic car, but you will be banned from driving manual then.

if you learn to drive in a manual you may aswell drive an automatic when you get your license

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

4 hours ago, masethekiller said:

Electric cars have no future unless they are mandated  and it's not rational to spend far more money on a car that  is less and doesn't' really have better environment impact either. It depends where you live, but the fact is over 70 percent of electricity is produced by fossil fuels, so your 'clean' electric  is actually polluting and possibly more than a gasoline car. I don't know if there are any studies if a say a honda civic which is a low emissions vehicle versus a Tesla powered by coal generated electricity.  I would guess the gas powered electric car is cleaner.  Also battery production and disposal of electric cars present serious environmental concerns.  Does a tesla cost less to own?  That is questionable too.  For one it depends on how your cost of electricity which great varies through out the united states, does a tesla 3 cost less to operate than a honda civic or corolla that gets 40 MPG and if so how much/  If it does, is it cheaper over the life-time with that 15-20k premium?  Part of the premium is paying for the batteries.  So maybe you could pay less per the equivalent tank but at a substantial overall higher cost of buying the car. 

I

Assumming the price is right and battery tech is better, I'd definitely really like EV for the much reduced maintainance. In theory, electric powertrains are extremely simple, requiring only cooling for the regular (seldom) fluid change. The ball bearings are the only point of friction within DC brushless motors. Also, find me a transmission more reliable than a single-speed gearbox. ;) I'd imagine there's also probably some sort of slipper clutch in the drivetrain to provide an artificial weak point to protect the rest of the drivetrain as the brushless motors pack enough torque to destroy stuff.

Tire wear is probably a bigger issue in EVs due to the (sometimes very) high torque and additional weight from the battery. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tire wear is probably a bigger issue in EVs due to the (sometimes very) high torque and additional weight from the battery. 

I wonder if that's an issue for most drivers in practice. Yeah, they've got more torque, especially instant torque, but I doubt most drivers of an electric vehicle are flooring it from a stop unless they wanna have fun.

5 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I wonder if that's an issue for most drivers in practice. Yeah, they've got more torque, especially instant torque, but I doubt most drivers of an electric vehicle are flooring it from a stop unless they wanna have fun.

Probably not the fun aspect, so much as many drivers lean toward aggression and tend to rush. I see it pretty commonly on roads with a lot of stop lights. Drivers often step pretty far in the gas, only to have to stop again a short bit later.

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Probably not the fun aspect, so much as many drivers lean toward aggression and tend to rush. I see it pretty commonly on roads with a lot of stop lights. Drivers often step pretty far in the gas, only to have to stop again a short bit later.

The lights in my neck of the woods are very well done. If you do the speed limit, you're very unlikely to ever stop at a red. Unfortunately, everyone tries to go 10 over leaving them stopped at the light instead of flowing freely. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

All the cars I have own since 1974 have been standard transmission until 2007 I bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe.  I still own it and is my first car with automatic transmission.  Back when I started driving most of the car I could afford had standard transmission in them and they were all older used cars from the 50s and 60s.  Car with automatic transmission cost more money back then.  

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The lights in my neck of the woods are very well done. If you do the speed limit, you're very unlikely to ever stop at a red. Unfortunately, everyone tries to go 10 over leaving them stopped at the light instead of flowing freely. 

Over by my work, the many lights on the street prioritize traffic coming from the nearby companies, and the lights are very aggressive in this regard. Even in the presense of heavy traffic on the main roads, a singular car from the side road will almost instantly trigger the light to turn. Best to back off the gas as soon as you see a car coming from the side road.

A town I pass through during my commute has some odd light behavior. During very early mornings (4:00-5:00), the lights use sensors to trigger the signals, and those turning on the freeway needn't wait long. During rush hour hosever, the lights use a dumb timer that tends to allow people to sit in the turn lane for minutes, even if no other traffic was passing through.

My eyes see the past…

I can, my buddy actually taught me how in his old Mustang.  Now, I'm not great at driving manual, but if need be I can do it.

My Jeep is an automatic, one of those ones you can push over to the side and shift gears manually, but when you shift that way, it uses an electronic clutch so you don't have to press on the clutch to shift.  Not exactly the same, by any means, but I do like have the option.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

In my opinion, if you can't drive a manual... you can't drive properly at all. In the UK if you pass your driving test on an automatic car, you are banned from driving a manual at all unless you retake your test using a manual car.

As far as I am aware, this isn't a requirement in the US... Hence my personal opinion that you can't drive properly and shouldn't ever be allowed behind the wheel of a manual car.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

7 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

In my opinion, if you can't drive a manual... you can't drive properly at all. In the UK if you pass your driving test on an automatic car, you are banned from driving a manual at all unless you retake your test using a manual car.

As far as I am aware, this isn't a requirement in the US... Hence my personal opinion that you can't drive properly and shouldn't ever be allowed behind the wheel of a manual car.

I don't think Manual transmissions are difficult enough to warrant barring drivers from using them if they tested in an Automatic. Those that actually want to drive stick will achive competency quite quickly with minimal help. Those that don't care to drive stick have plenty of Automatics to choose from for the foreseeable future anyway.

My eyes see the past…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I don't think Manual transmissions are difficult enough to warrant barring drivers from using them if they tested in an Automatic. Those that actually want to drive stick will achive competency quite quickly with minimal help. Those that don't care to drive stick have plenty of Automatics to choose from for the foreseeable future anyway.

Not to mention, drivers are pretty terrible to begin with where most of us live. Nowadays, throwing in another thing to pay attention to would mean nothing more than repair bills. Hell, that was the case even with the dual-clutches the Ford Focuses came with here, so eh.

7 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

How is that ban enforced, is there a note on your drivers license? Here in the US there’s no specific test to drive a manual. If you pass your road test in an automatic you’re free to drive either option.

I left Canada to work in Paris because of this awful oil recession in Alberta which put me on the dole for months despite being hired full time. I got hired in Paris immediately because there’s a massive demand for construction related jobs due to the Paris train overhaul. Anyways, all is well. But I didn’t expect to drive a manual car 3~4 hours/day at an average speed of 10 kph. I want to smash, destroy every single person who advocates for manual transmissions. It’s just awful having to drive at speeds between the 1st and 2nd gear all day long while meddling with the clutch. And my poor Peugeot 208 is quite bity with the first gear. And honestly, trafic would move so much better if we took out every single manual car on the road. They’re just that much harder to start from a full stop, especially on hills. To illustrate my point: a typical green light in Alberta would allow at least a dozen cars through. In France you’re lucky if you see 5. 

tl;dr I wanna smash every single manual car in existence. They suck. They really do. If you don’t believe me drive a manual car in Paris daily. 

12 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Assuming the price is right and battery tech is better, I'd definitely really like EV for the much reduced maintenance. In theory, electric powertrains are extremely simple, requiring only cooling for the regular (seldom) fluid change. The ball bearings are the only point of friction within DC brushless motors. Also, find me a transmission more reliable than a single-speed gearbox. ;) I'd imagine there's also probably some sort of slipper clutch in the drivetrain to provide an artificial weak point to protect the rest of the drivetrain as the brushless motors pack enough torque to destroy stuff.

One of the reason that my next vehicle will be EV.  Plus, once I get a house with solar panels and the like, I view it more as the ability to be a tad more independent as well. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

7 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

How is that ban enforced, is there a note on your drivers license? Here in the US there’s no specific test to drive a manual. If you pass your road test in an automatic you’re free to drive either option.

Basically your license will specify that you can only drive an automatic. It will also list if you are allowed to drive/ride a motorbike, HGV and PSV (Heavy Goods Vehicle & Public Service Vehicle), and you need to take special tests for anything over  3.5 tonnes, or that carries more than 18 passengers.

With motorbikes, you can apply for your license, and you have 2yrs to take and pass your motorbike test, or you have to apply again. You are limited to 50cc and under if under 17 and 125cc if over 17 (You can ride a bike at 16, but cars at 17).

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.