Do you/can you drive a manual?

Founders
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Do you/can you drive a manual?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What option best describes you?

• Yes, my primarily vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, my secondary vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, but I don't have access to a car with a manual transmission.
    • No, I don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

6 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

get good smooth and fast at balancing three pedals on a hill. It's just something that needs practicing.

My dad who has driven manuals all his life can casually text/check emails while doing that at a traffic jam on an uphill slope

I can drive stick too, but I can't do that

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

8 minutes ago, BigRom said:

My dad who has driven manuals all his life can casually text/check emails while doing that at a traffic jam on an uphill slope

I can drive stick too, but I can't do that

give it time....

or don't, cuz, well, phones and cars and laws and things we arent supposed to do but do anyway.

5 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

give it time....

or don't, cuz, well, phones and cars and laws and things we arent supposed to do but do anyway.

Just saying thats the level of mastery and control he has achieved, dude is just chilling on a slope steep enough that you will roll back if you release the handbrake without enough throttle

I would likely crap myself if I got stuck in an uphill traffic jam with a manual, I'm fine everywhere else though. Gear shifts are a bit hit-and-miss though, I'm not always smooth with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

2 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Just saying thats the level of mastery and control he has achieved, dude is just chilling on a slope steep enough that you will roll back if you release the handbrake without enough throttle

I would likely crap myself if I got stuck in an uphill traffic jam with a manual, I'm fine everywhere else though. Gear shifts are a bit hit-and-miss though, I'm not always smooth with it.

Do it long enough and you completely stop thinking about it really. Over thinking it is when you're most likely to make mistakes. My car has a button to the side of the gear shift for hill assist (a lot of manual cars have this feature now) but I haven't used it for as long as I've owned the car. 

Just now, Ehmc130 said:

Do it long enough and you completely stop thinking about it really. Over thinking it is when you're most likely to make mistakes. My car has a button to the side of the gear shift for hill assist (a lot of manual cars have this feature now) but I haven't used it for as long as I've owned the car. 

My dad drives basically a rebadged 4th gen Mitsubisihi Mirage (known as a Proton here), and none of the cars we've owned are particularly tech/feature-laden. We're missing out on a lot of the features (especially safety) that American/European markets get

My 8th gen Civic is probably the most fully-featured car in the house and its a 2009 model lmao, pretty sure its the only one with stability control even.

12 minutes ago, BigRom said:

My dad drives basically a rebadged 4th gen Mitsubisihi Mirage (known as a Proton here), and none of the cars we've owned are particularly tech/feature-laden. We're missing out on a lot of the features (especially safety) that American/European markets get

My 8th gen Civic is probably the most fully-featured car in the house and its a 2009 model lmao, pretty sure its the only one with stability control even.

My VW is a 2008. ?

On 10/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, masethekiller said:

For example you can go 30 in 5th gear, an automatic will never do that.  

This is demonstrably false. 30 mph is approximately 48 km/h - I can and regularly do drive my 2014 Jetta (6-speed auto) in 5th at 50 km/h.

It's the same reason you can go faster in a manual you can shift when you please and to the gear and you can go past the RPM limit, although you probably shouldn't.  

This is irrelevant, given that many automatics (mine included) are "Tiptronic" ("Manumatic") style automatic transmissions where you can lock and manually change gears. I use it constantly.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:43 PM, masethekiller said:

Lol Toyota Corolla in 2018 sold more cars alone than all of Tesla, that is one single car sold more than the whole brand. 

What does that matter at all?

In 2018, Corolla's also outsold Jetta's and Accords combined - so what? Corrola's were the second most popular car in the world in 2018, only behind the F-150. Corolla's outsell many ICE automotive manufacturers entire lineups - especially the smaller and more niche brands.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:51 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

In my opinion, if you can't drive a manual... you can't drive properly at all. In the UK if you pass your driving test on an automatic car, you are banned from driving a manual at all unless you retake your test using a manual car.

As far as I am aware, this isn't a requirement in the US... Hence my personal opinion that you can't drive properly and shouldn't ever be allowed behind the wheel of a manual car.

This is a nonsensical argument. In Canada, I literally have no need to know how to drive a manual. And yes, I can drive properly. Why would I learn something that I will never need to use? For fun, is the only logical response.

And I'm not opposed to people learning stick shift for fun - or driving and owning one for fun. But the elitism that Manual Fanboys show is hilarious. Sure in some parts of the world, you probably do need to learn, simply because manuals are still very common - but that's the only reason. There are no practical real world benefits to them anymore.

Want to drive stick? Awesome! Do it because you find it fun. Trying to preach it as "the proper way to drive" is making you look like a d-bag at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is demonstrably false. 30 mph is approximately 48 km/h - I can and regularly do drive my 2014 Jetta (6-speed auto) in 5th at 50 km/h.

This is irrelevant, given that many automatics (mine included) are "Tiptronic" ("Manumatic") style automatic transmissions where you can lock and manually change gears. I use it constantly.

What does that matter at all?

In 2018, Corolla's also outsold Jetta's and Accords combined - so what? Corrola's were the second most popular car in the world in 2018, only behind the F-150. Corolla's outsell many ICE automotive manufacturers entire lineups - especially the smaller and more niche brands.

This is a nonsensical argument. In Canada, I literally have no need to know how to drive a manual. And yes, I can drive properly. Why would I learn something that I will never need to use? For fun, is the only logical response.

And I'm not opposed to people learning stick shift for fun - or driving and owning one for fun. But the elitism that Manual Fanboys show is hilarious. Sure in some parts of the world, you probably do need to learn, simply because manuals are still very common - but that's the only reason. There are no practical real world benefits to them anymore.

Want to drive stick? Awesome! Do it because you find it fun. Trying to preach it as "the proper way to drive" is making you look like a d-bag at best.

I learned to drive on a manual... I can drive both an automatic & a manual... You learned to drive on an automatic... You cannot drive a manual only an automatic... So already... my skill/knowledge level when it comes to basic driving ability is greater than yours.

It doesn't matter one tiny little bit if you 'want' to drive a manual, or 'need' to drive a manual... You have limited your ability to drive other vehicles... It matters not one bit of the majority of cars sold are automatics...  it only means that you can never drive a manual unless you relearn how to drive using one.... I already know.

It's not any kind of elitism... it's simple truth... I can drive both kinds, you cannot. I can jump out of my car and into an auto... you cannot do the reverse... Your lack of a desire to do so, is irrelevant. You lack the ability to complete such a basic task and your entire argument is that you have no need of it... and that's fine. But you cannot do as much as those that can do both.

If having a wider skill set than you makes me a d-bag... then I guess not knowing how to do it, makes you a f-wit.   :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

2 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

my skill/knowledge level when it comes to basic driving ability is greater than yours.

By an insignificant and irrelevant margin.

But your ego...

3 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

If having a wider skill set than you makes me a d-bag

No, being a douchebag makes someone a douchebag.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I learned to drive on a manual... I can drive both an automatic & a manual... You learned to drive on an automatic... You cannot drive a manual only an automatic... So already... my skill/knowledge level when it comes to basic driving ability is greater than yours.

Incorrect - driving a manual is not a basic driving ability. It is a specific (and now-a-days, a more and more niche) skillset.

It doesn't matter one tiny little bit if you 'want' to drive a manual, or 'need' to drive a manual... You have limited your ability to drive other vehicles... It matters not one bit of the majority of cars sold are automatics...  it only means that you can never drive a manual unless you relearn how to drive using one.... I already know.

That's okay - I will likely never need to drive a manual in my entire life. I've never even come close to needing to drive one yet.

It's not any kind of elitism... it's simple truth... I can drive both kinds, you cannot. I can jump out of my car and into an auto... you cannot do the reverse... Your lack of a desire to do so, is irrelevant. You lack the ability to complete such a basic task and your entire argument is that you have no need of it... and that's fine. But you cannot do as much as those that can do both.

Yeah but the difference is that while I cannot drive a manual (and really, I understand the concept just fine, so I'm sure I could learn fairly easily - just no need to), driving a manual is not a basic skill required to know how to drive.

It's a skill required to drive a very specific kind of car.

If having a wider skill set than you makes me a d-bag... then I guess not knowing how to do it, makes you a f-wit.   :)

Nah I have no qualms about people knowing how to drive manual or even preferring it. I have qualms with people who preach that it's a must-have skill and that other drivers are "lesser" because they don't drive manual.

Want to drive manual? Go nuts. It's simply not a requirement for many people though - basically anyone in North America (especially Canada) will never need to know how to drive a manual, since pretty much all new cars (and most used cars in the last 2 decades) are automatics. It's actually mildly difficult to find manual cars now. You have to go hunting for them.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It's actually mildly difficult to find manual cars now. You have to go hunting for them.

Not if you order online.

Or if you like muscle/pony cars.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not if you order online.

True enough - but if you mean ordering directly from the dealer, you can pretty much configure it in whatever way you want (assuming they offer a manual trans).

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Or if you like muscle/pony cars.

Also true - but even in this market, some traditionally manual options are switching to auto only. But it's among the most well rounded segment that still has manual options.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

True enough - but if you mean ordering directly from the dealer, you can pretty much configure it in whatever way you want (assuming they offer a manual trans).

I mean ordering from the OEM and having it shipped to the dealer.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Also true - but even in this market, some traditionally manual options are switching to auto only. But it's among the most well rounded segment that still has manual options.

Both the Mustang and Challenger have trim levels where manual is the default.

Granted, with the Challenger that means stepping up to the V8, because the V6 option comes with your choice of an 8 speed auto or the same 8 speed auto.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

@dalekphalmDriving a manual is a must-have skill and most parts of the world. It just boggles my mind that countries like France are so adamant to switch over to automatics. So whenever you rent a car or use a work vehicle, it's a manual. And TBH, manuals suck.

You can brag all day long how manuals are more dynamic and fun to drive than automatics, but you're driving the speed limit or slower at the end of the day. And the drawbacks of manuals are so obvious when drive between 0 to 20 km/h in slow moving traffic. So manual elitists and car journalists who whine about the disappearance of manuals can shove it. I would much rather feather the accelerator and sip a beverage in slow traffic than having to constantly switch between 1st and 2nd gear and play with the clutch. And driving dynamics don't mean squat when you're driving below 40 km/h anyways, which is 99.999% of the time if you live around Paris. 

I mainly drive a manual. For two reasons. One being that automatic cars are generally more expensive and less common than manuals here in Finland (or the whole Europe for that matter). And secondly, because driving schools here have manual cars by default. And if you opt for an automatic while doing your driving test, you can't legally drive a manual car, similar to UK.

2 hours ago, FinnishGod said:

I mainly drive a manual. For two reasons. One being that automatic cars are generally more expensive and less common than manuals here in Finland (or the whole Europe for that matter). And secondly, because driving schools here have manual cars by default. And if you opt for an automatic while doing your driving test, you can't legally drive a manual car, similar to UK.

It’s the same deal in France. But I pity those who passed their test in an automatic. They’re utterly screwed when their work requires them to drive a company vehicle (which is 90% of the time an effin’ manual). And recruiters are bad at asking candidates if they can drive manual. 

Lol its funny to see how emotional people get over electric cars and automatic transmissions. Your car geeks I guess lmao. 

13 hours ago, yaboistar said:

lol wow omg people are passionate about things and don't like seeing things they like disappearing omg wow what nerds

Impractical things that should die but won't because of "nerds":

- manual cars

- mechanical watches

- vinyl & cassette

EDIT: The punchline flew right above my head. But I'm feeling bitter about the things above. 

On November 4, 2019 at 3:46 AM, kokakolia said:

Impractical things that should die but won't because of "nerds":

- manual cars

- mechanical watches

- vinyl & cassette

I'm not into watches, but I would much rather manual cars and vinyl/cassettes stayed.

what do you have against them?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

2 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

I'm not into watches, but I would much rather manual cars and vinyl/cassettes stayed.

what do you have against them?

I think it's totally cool for those things to stay because people like them. Vinyl for example, is objectively inferior to modern digital formats, in terms of audio quality,

But that doesn't mean it has no value - many people subjectively prefer the distortion introduced by vinyl - often described as a "warm" sound.

Additionally, there's also the collector argument - even if you don't listen to them, it can be fun to collect Vinyl and Cassette tapes, etc.

I do have a problem with people who think that Vinyl is "straight up better" (same goes for Manual cars). Fortunately it's a pretty small minority with those views.

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I think it's totally cool for those things to stay because people like them. Vinyl for example, is objectively inferior to modern digital formats, in terms of audio quality,

But that doesn't mean it has no value - many people subjectively prefer the distortion introduced by vinyl - often described as a "warm" sound.

Additionally, there's also the collector argument - even if you don't listen to them, it can be fun to collect Vinyl and Cassette tapes, etc.

I do have a problem with people who think that Vinyl is "straight up better" (same goes for Manual cars). Fortunately it's a pretty small minority with those views.

I haven't listened to enough vinyl to comment on it's quality, but I agree with the collector aspect.

this is why I was asking what they had against these things, I don't see how another person having a vinyl collection or a mechanical watch would effect me that much to make me want them to go away.

though I must admit that some things annoy me simply because they are so common I get tired of them, I guess that could be the case.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Older music sounds better on vinyl, IMO, because that's what it was mastered for. It also smells amazing. Cassettes however are rubbish, there is no defending those.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Older music sounds better on vinyl, IMO, because that's what it was mastered for. It also smells amazing. Cassettes however are rubbish, there is no defending those.

That's simply because the producers aren't taking advantage of the technology available to them. They might need to remaster something for CD or Digital Download to get the most out of the medium.

Cassettes can actually sound far better than most people have experience with - check out some of the Techmoan reviews on YouTube - I was shocked with some of the quality levels he was able to achieve on Cassette.

Granted, most Cassette's are the cheap shitty kind, and most players don't recognize the more advanced anti-noise features on the more expensive cassettes.

But yes, CD simply has a technical advantage over Vinyl and Cassette, and can reproduce the original sound better, if taken advantage of.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's simply because the producers aren't taking advantage of the technology available to them. They might need to remaster something for CD or Digital Download to get the most out of the medium.

Cassettes can actually sound far better than most people have experience with - check out some of the Techmoan reviews on YouTube - I was shocked with some of the quality levels he was able to achieve on Cassette.

Granted, most Cassette's are the cheap shitty kind, and most players don't recognize the more advanced anti-noise features on the more expensive cassettes.

But yes, CD simply has a technical advantage over Vinyl and Cassette, and can reproduce the original sound better, if taken advantage of.

Many albums are remastered for CD.  In fact I would be surprised if you could find one that wasn't.

But to the rest of the discussion, why do people get so heavily opinionated about driving a manual?  There is literally nothing about a car that makes it more or less real than any other car.  There is no specific gearbox or engine arrangement that makes the owner more "real". 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.