Do you/can you drive a manual?

Founders
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Do you/can you drive a manual?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What option best describes you?

• Yes, my primarily vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, my secondary vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, but I don't have access to a car with a manual transmission.
    • No, I don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

In the US just 2 percent of all new vehicles sold in 2018 were manuals and only 20 percent of vehicles offer the option according to Edmunds. With the continued growth and development of electric vehicles the future is looking pretty bleak for the manual transmission as an option. As government regulations change in favor of electric vehicles for the masses the use of internal combustion and manuals in cars will eventually be a thing of the past. According to BP's Statistical Review of World Energy, global oil reserves at the end of 2012 were 1.7 trillion barrels. Given that the world consumes about 86 million barrels of crude oil per day, it would be easy to conclude we will run out of oil in 55 years.

New cars sold in the US still offering a manual option.

With all that said I'm a sad panda, every car I've owned has had a manual transmission and I still prefer it as my daily driver. Don't get me wrong sometimes it's nice to hop in another car and not have to shift, but I feel if I ever gave it up I'd regret it immediately. I know that eventually it will no longer be an option at all so I prefer to enjoy it while I still can. I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say, thanks for participating.   

My car has a manual transmission, and my motorcycle has a regular sequential motorcycle gearbox. I owned an old 4x4 Suburban automatic for a while around 2010, but I've had my current car since new in 2005. I can see why people don't own manual transmission cars as much and why they've fallen out of favor. I'm more than happy to drive my car for hundreds of miles on the highway, but I'm done working a clutch pedal for stop-and-go traffic. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Me cahh has a manual. Here in the UK, at the moment, it is about a 60:40 split of manual-to-slushmatics but not too long ago, the ratio was more like 80:20. Since maybe 2014 or 2015, the number of autos sold increased drastically. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

i learnt to drive on a 90s civic with stick shift. japanese make the best manual cars, most european brands have spongy smushy clutch and weird throttle response

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I learned driving manual for my license and my primary/only car is a manual.

Never driven an automatic.. As for cars 'out there in the wild', I feel like 95% is manual. Most brands are advertising their automatic cars nowadays though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I drive a 2004 Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission, and I love it. Stop and start traffic, which is one of the most common reasons I hear for people not liking to use manuals, isn't bothersome to me at all. My first car had an auto trans, but I started learning to drive stick about a month after I got my learner's permit. I live in the USA if that makes any difference.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I studied driving with a manual transmission. Now, I'm spoiled by automatic transmission.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Automatic transmission never got much wind under its wings over here. Almost every car is manual, just like they should be.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

My Bimmer is manual, but the mileage makes it a weekend vehicle while my auto Celica is the daily, unless I feel like driving the other convertible. 

Spoiler

Yes, I own two convertibles. Don't roast me.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

My Bimmer is manual, but the mileage makes it a weekend vehicle while my auto Celica is the daily, unless I feel like driving the other convertible. 

Hide contents

Convertibles are real nice on a spring day with the sun out.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Hide contents

Plot Twist: Lives in Alaska

On topic: I learned on an auto, first car I bought was a manual. Last car was an auto (CVT, most depressing thing I have ever driven), and now I'm looking for a manual again. That is the number 1 thing on my quite short list of 'needs-to-have'.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I mean automatic are popular because they save with better gas mileage, and have been proven Superior over manual trans.

However, I prefer engagement, and simplicity of standard. Simplicity as in, replacing parts for it.

I love rev matching, heel toe and clutch dumps. For my every upcoming car I will be getting a manual if I got the option, I do love me some fast automatics although I will still take manual over autos every single time.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would love to learn, and I honestly think I'd like it better than auto. I don't know anyone with a manual, nor can I afford to swap one of my current vehicles (nor do I want to). I also can't afford to buy a cheap beater with a manual. But, at least I can drive!

I love the saying "having a manual is a security feature" simply because it's so damn true. No one know how to drive a manual anymore, at least not in the metro US.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

...No one know how to drive a manual anymore, at least not in the metro US.

Never say no one. I live in a metro area in the SSA (aka US) and I can drive a manual. I've driven most everyting from three on the tree to a 10 speed Road Ranger, five on the floor (one cab over had five on the tree and a four speed auxiliary on the dog house; shifting that thing was like playing golf with a rubber club), four and five speed mains with three and four speed auxiliaries, five speeds with two speed axels, etc. Most didn't have synchros meaning double clutching (although, most of the time, I didn't need the clutch once the rig was rolling).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Never say no one. I live in a metro area in the SSA (aka US) and I can drive a manual. I've driven most everyting from three on the tree to a 10 speed Road Ranger, five on the floor (one cab over had five on the tree and a four speed auxiliary on the dog house; shifting that thing was like playing golf with a rubber club), four and five speed mains with three and four speed auxiliaries, five speeds with two speed axels, etc. Most didn't have synchros meaning double clutching (although, most of the time, I didn't need the clutch once the rig was rolling).

Yes but you're a smart person/more industrial/blue collar. A person with an office job, or a hobo, most likely won't know how to drive one. Around where I live, the only people that really know how to drive one are the truckers and farmers.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Yes but you're a smart person/more industrial/blue collar. A person with an office job, or a hobo, most likely won't know how to drive one. Around where I live, the only people that really know how to drive one are the truckers and farmers.

A lot of truckers live in metropolitan areas. Most people I know who live in metropolitan areas know how to drive manuals.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A lot of truckers live in metropolitan areas. Most people I know who live in metropolitan areas know how to drive manuals.

I mean I still stand by it. Most city people can't do what country people can, and visa-versa.

All of the (2) cars i've owned have been manual. I know eventually i'll have to join the hoard and get an autotragic, but I always plan to have a "weekend" car that's manual.

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

My car has a manual transmission, and my motorcycle has a regular sequential motorcycle gearbox. I owned an old 4x4 Suburban automatic for a while around 2010, but I've had my current car since new in 2005. I can see why people don't own manual transmission cars as much and why they've fallen out of favor. I'm more than happy to drive my car for hundreds of miles on the highway, but I'm done working a clutch pedal for stop-and-go traffic. 

I can respect that, I live in the suburbs and rarely get stuck in stop and start traffic. But I'll admit it wasn't ideal when I was commuting over an hour in the morning for work and hitting traffic every morning. But the good far out weighs the bad IMO.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Automatic transmission never got much wind under its wings over here. Almost every car is manual, just like they should be.

So automatics never gained much traction in your bedroom? Where are you from?

54 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I would love to learn, and I honestly think I'd like it better than auto. I don't know anyone with a manual, nor can I afford to swap one of my current vehicles (nor do I want to). I also can't afford to buy a cheap beater with a manual. But, at least I can drive!

I love the saying "having a manual is a security feature" simply because it's so damn true. No one know how to drive a manual anymore, at least not in the metro US.

Start saving up for your next car if you haven't already. Unless you're currently making payments then I guess it'll be a ways away for you. I understand wanting to know what you're doing before the purchase though. A friend of mine bought his first manual car not know anything and I had him off and running in an hour or two. YMMV, but it's not hard to learn and you'll enjoy it. Save the manual!  

i can drive both, but i just prefer manual simply because of its cheap, makes me incontrol in most situation and also kept me awake

the last part is especially important, when i haven't bought my current car yet, i use my parents auto car and i fell asleep in the middle of driving. I'm lucky that my driving style has always to leave a lot of space between me and front car and it was during a heavy traffic jam. Else i would have hit a very expensive Mercedes in front of me

8 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

I can respect that, I live in the suburbs and rarely get stuck in stop and start traffic. But I'll admit it wasn't ideal when I was commuting over an hour in the morning for work and hitting traffic every morning. But the good far out weighs the bad IMO.

The motorcycle is way less strenuous in traffic, I live in the suburbs as well and work in a little town outside my city, so my commute is not too bad. I really only drive the car when it's raining.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R