Intel Xe GPU release date, specs, and performance

The Intel Xe GPU represents Intel’s first foray into discrete graphics since the ill-fated Larrabee project many years ago. But let’s not dwell on the past, this is a bright new future for Intel, and potentially PC gamers too, as it means we’re going to have a genuine third player in the graphics market and that can only be a good thing. For us, at least.

• It looks likely that the initial Xe GPUs will largely be based on the building blocks put in place by the Ice Lake Gen11 graphics architecture. 
  • It's expected to have 128 EU, 256 EU, and 512 EU parts for the entry, mid-range, and high-end markets.
  • Not a lot is known about the potential performance of the new Intel graphics cards, but Gen11 GPUs with just 64 EUs are capable of decent 720p gaming. So with many times that figure, the Intel Xe could be genuinely competitive cards. If they clock high enough…
  • Spanning entry-level, mid-range, and high-end, you’re looking at a spread of graphics card pricing potentially from $200 all the way up to $1,000… depending on actually how powerful that 512 EU card turns out to be.

OA - https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/xe-gpu-release-date-specs-performance

intel-xe-mock-up-1200x675.jpg

is that gpu supposed to be an angry kitten or something?

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

27 minutes ago, D33P said:

Spanning entry-level, mid-range, and high-end, you’re looking at a spread of graphics card pricing potentially from $200 all the way up to $1,000… depending on actually how powerful that 512 EU card turns out to be.

OMG who knew a company would try to price their product appropriately?!? 

/s

also im mildly annoyed at the clickbait title as far as i can tell, no date was given........ it was speculation and confirmation from "sources"

I hope it'll be competitive. Graphics industry really needs more offerings. I miss the days when we had so much choice, ATi, NVIDIA, S3, 3dfx, SiS, Matrox, XGI... Sure some were mediocre at best, but at least they were trying and when it dropped down to 2 players only, whole thing became really dull and not really competitive. With 3, there will always be at least one nudging someone else. Opposed to 2 where it always drops into monopoly if someone is doing poorly. So, I'm looking forward to Intel entering the market as 3rd competitor. It'll be interesting and it might even happen we'll have AMD CPU and Intel graphics in our systems at some point. Which will be funny possibility :)

I thought WCCFTech was bad, but this isn't even a rumour at this point

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

OMG who knew a company would try to price their product appropriately?!? 

/s

also im mildly annoyed at the clickbait title as far as i can tell, no date was given........ it was speculation and confirmation from "sources"

imagine thinking $1000 at the highend is appropriate

?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

14 minutes ago, floofer said:

I thought WCCFTech was bad, but this isn't even a rumour at this point

Oh please stop the old mentality "WCCFTech is soo bad", they were bad many years ago posting some fake news to gain audience but later they moved towards only news and rumours, its the people here who are flawed and taking rumours of wccftech and turning them into news then posting source link to wccftech and give them a bad name when in fact OP is dumb.

At this point there should be a sub in this forum for [Rumour News] and this sub for real news with official source.

Just to add onto this..

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-xe-multi-gpu-support-could-be-a-secret-weapon-against-amd-and-nvidia

The rumors are that if you have an Intel CPU with an integrated gpu and a full discrete Intel GPU, the Intel GPU can join forces with the integrated gpu for more performance. If that's true then wow. That's a very nice feature.

5 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

The rumors are that if you have an Intel CPU with an integrated gpu and a full discrete Intel GPU, the Intel GPU can join forces with the integrated gpu for more performance. If that's true then wow. That's a very nice feature.

I'd be cautious about this one. Assuming they get it to work, the integrated GPU is often much slower so the benefit will not be so great. Also, given the pains with SLI and crossfire, can Intel really crack this?

What is possibly more realistic is that this can apply more to compute uses than gaming, where splitting work to different GPUs is more of a thing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Just to add onto this..

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-xe-multi-gpu-support-could-be-a-secret-weapon-against-amd-and-nvidia

It's probably nothing more than what Intel and Nvidia already do. Basically it uses the onboard one most of the time (less power) then the dedicated card kicks in when you run a game. It barely works and most of the time just causes problems.

There's no benefit to one high powered card trying to pair with one low powered card. If anything that would only slow down the faster card quite considerably.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Just to add onto this..

IIRC AMD had it for a while. As with all SLI... was pants (scaling) and not often worth the price.

Contrary to popular beliefs, Intel are actually pretty good when it comes to GPU drivers. They regularly scored better than AMD and ARM for OpenGL compliance for example, back when the Dolphin Emulator team did their hall of fame and hall of shame.

And their GPU architecture is pretty good these days.

If we assume linear scaling between 64 found in their iGPUs and 512 execution units of the big discrete GPU then the discrete one should be 8 times as fast. 

The i7-1065 with G7 graphics scores 854 in Time Spy. 854 * 8 = 6832.

That's comparable to the GTX 1080 (6886). Throw on some higher clock speed and the much faster VRAM (compared to regular RAM used in the G7 test), and the results should be really good. 

1 hour ago, MeatFeastMan said:

1 hour ago, porina said:

I'd be cautious about this one. Assuming they get it to work, the integrated GPU is often much slower so the benefit will not be so great. Also, given the pains with SLI and crossfire, can Intel really crack this?

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

There's no benefit to one high powered card trying to pair with one low powered card. If anything that would only slow down the faster card quite considerably.

AMD used to do the same and they called it "Hybrid CrossfireX"

It worked and did increase performance a bit, but it wasn't worth the hassle. Back then AMD had massive issues with micro-stuttering when using CrossFire, and the extra GPU horsepower from the onboard was not that much.

So you got like a few FPS more in games, but at the cost of micro-stuttering and general compatibility issues.

Intel's solution might work better, but yeah... If we assume linear scaling (which it won't be) then adding like 48 or 64 more execution units to 512 will only be a ~10% increase. Couple that with less than ideal scaling, lower clock speeds on the iGPU, overhead from the memory exchange, and so on and you might end up with like a 5% performance increase, in best case scenarios.

5 hours ago, D33P said:

all the way up to $1,000

Wat?!

Not again.. GPU pricing is fk'ed up for too long already..

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

10 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

high end gpu's have high end price tags. 1k gpu's have existed for a long time now, as the very top tier prosumer segment before the actual professional grade gpu's.

Im not even thinking of prosumer grade GPUs, but the consumer ones which already in range closer to 1k $, more or less but closer to it.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

3 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

imagine thinking $1000 at the highend is appropriate

?

I have the opposite problem: I think the price range proposed is wayyyy too high.

To me: the low end options need to cost $100-150 to compete with the RX 5500 series. Or closer to $80-100 if it can’t actually compete on performance.

For what would be traditionally midrange I think $200-250 is fine. Anything more is just price gouging.

For what would traditionally be high end (but is actually real midrange) $350-400 is more acceptable

For actual high end $600-800 is acceptable I guess although I still don’t like the idea of “high end” GPUs costing $699 or more.

If intel launches a $1000 GPU then I’m gonna boycott Intel Xe GPUs. There is no reason a consumer $1000 GPU should exist. They are insult to the intelligence of gamers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If intel launches a $1000 GPU then I’m gonna boycott Intel Xe GPUs. There is no reason a consumer $1000 GPU should exist. They are insult to the intelligence of gamers.

They will have to be competitive. nvidia can still get away with a premium over AMD, but let's say if an Intel GPU was at $1000 but comparable in performance to a new AMD GPU at $1000, you would still rule out Intel? What was the Radeon VII? Around $700 wasn't it? Wont take much of an uplift in pricing to hit 4 figures. Not saying they will, just don't rule it out.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have the opposite problem: I think the price range proposed is wayyyy too high.

To me: the low end options need to cost $100-150 to compete with the RX 5500 series. Or closer to $80-100 if it can’t actually compete on performance.

For what would be traditionally midrange I think $200-250 is fine. Anything more is just price gouging.

For what would traditionally be high end (but is actually real midrange) $350-400 is more acceptable

For actual high end $600-800 is acceptable I guess although I still don’t like the idea of “high end” GPUs costing $699 or more.

no im fine with buying a 2080 ti, like im good with money

i just think its a shit pricepoint and its actually stealing more than being a fair price.

if its better than the 2080 ti ill buy it forsure though, I hate both amd and nvidia these days

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

5 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

God that looks fucking horrendous

That's just a render from some person on the internet, it is not the official card. The pic has been floating since intel talked about doing discrete graphics. That other one looking like an intel pcie nvme ssd, is also unofficial render.

I'm hoping their cards look like their pcie xeon phi

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, AkatsukiKun said:

Slap on an Arc reactor in the middle and some fans, but really have you seen Colorful's gpu?

Spoiler

Image result for colorful gpu

Fantastic. That should be in every Taichi motherboard.

3 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

That's just AMD's "Dual Graphics" all over again (I guess it was Raja's idea :P). I guess that would mean there's a very low end GPU in the stack, as those are the ones  that may make sense pairing.

6 hours ago, Gegger said:

is that gpu supposed to be an angry kitten or something?

Already a thing, maybe not "angry"

Spoiler

cbcb6de7a126771aa8818584952939d6-1200x90

Also this article is basically rumor status with some known information thrown in. I wouldnt predict the release date of a gpu based on a license plate tag. At least here in Canada, those are based on your birthday.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

@D33P

Your post must include your own input regarding the topic as per the Tech News Posting Guidelines:

Please update the OP to match the guidelines, else the post will be subject to removal from Tech News.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25