What are y'all upgrading this holiday season?

dizmo
On 10/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, 1984_C10 said:

Thanfully its firmly attached to the case, according to HardwareCanucks (they reviewed the old version, the CM Storm Trooper) the handle is rated up to 43kg.

As for the SSDs, i LOVE storage, i can never have enough because i'm a huge data hoarder, so the array wouldn't be useless either.

1155373320_CapturadeTela(53).png.b52219a6263b2271c130d0fb84bbaa1d.png

Ahhh not bad, though it still seems a little iffy ?

On 10/29/2019 at 2:57 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

If the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday sales have a good deal on a 9900k I'll probably pick one up, but it has to be a killer deal.

They usually only go down like $40 or $50, motherboards are what gets the deeper discounts.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:57 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

wow these are all best value gpu of the times, or may be 5700 & flash the xt bios

btw I also got the 970 & 6850 running

A lot of the time the 5700 is so close in price to the 5700XT I'd just pay the little bit extra ?

On 10/30/2019 at 6:59 AM, roudyloo said:

upgrading my attitude to life I guess

Haha at least you know it needs a change ?

On 10/31/2019 at 3:38 AM, dogwitch said:

a new 10 inch tablet. lg one falling apart after years of use.

need to buy a new receiver  for my speakers(god its going to be a nightmare)

a new garmin. (i got into area where cell phone coverage is spotty at best)

i might do a nas server or 10gb nic set up. depending with above mentions .

also can get a few camera lenses i will to

What do you use a tablet for?
I've bought one twice, and never really felt it did anything better than my phone.

On 11/4/2019 at 7:39 AM, comander said:

Probably my case. 

I've been eyeing a Cererus-X for a while. 

Unless you guys have any other suggestions on what to get... I don't see a 3950x as worth it and I don't game enough to justify a 2080Ti/Titan RTX. 

You and me both buddy, you and me both. Though, I'll likely never get one, since I just leave my tower on the floor...so it doesn't really matter how big it is, and having a smaller one would likely be more annoying than anything. Welp.

5 hours ago, flashiling said:

would reccomend to get the oneplus 7t pro.

it doesn't have a notch and the back camera looks better than the op7t

personally i'm looking to get a thin laptop with a 16 series card for school and games that don't require my 2080 setup at home

Ehhh the battery life on the 7T Pro isn't that great. I'd wait for something with a high refresh rate and decent battery life.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

to diz

i use it for reading both books,mag,comic books,manga.

i like 10 inch  due to my eye sight. i  dont use  ipad due to the sheer amount of books /media i have on it. i also wear out the storage on it to...

not sure what i will find for black/monday thing yet.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I am upgrading my display to a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor from samsung (yay my gtx 1080 is freesync compatible)

I am also upgrading my iphone 6 to the iPhone 11 Pro on the iphone upgrade program from apple.

Pc Specs: 

Ryzen 7 5800x- ROG STRIX X470-F  - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz - Kraken X63 AIO - MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 - EVGA 1000W GW - NZXT H500i

This holiday? Well, I`ll get the "watercooled" heatsinks for my rig, as I`ll probably need them for E5-2697 v2. Or perhaps a RTX 2060 for that matter.

I`d love to try water cooled GPU, but this is the bad thing of legacy/OEM stuff. Specifically built and technically no wy to put awesome stuff like water cooling or RGB :(

Still though, can`t buy new hardware (yet).

Probably my case to the H710i. Also probably gonna get a AIO. Maybe make the switch to AMD. Anyone want to help me. ?

3 hours ago, Geospark said:

Probably my case to the H710i. Also probably gonna get a AIO. Maybe make the switch to AMD. Anyone want to help me. ?

sure.

first, start reading up on what amd components are good and what they require and why.

figure out if you wanna go amd cpu and gpu or just cpu.

figure out how much money you're willing to spend and if your budget is tight prepare to get a faceful of reality if you set your expectations too high.

make a post asking for advice on an amd build on this forum and don't actually buy anyhting till black friday and cyber monday are over.

chances are that they will be cheaper and many people will mention that.

feel free to use the @ once you've made the post.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Upgrade my storage from 1TB to 2TB or 4TB.

Upgrade my keyboard from ROG Horus RGB to Corsair K70 MK.2 Cherry MX Blue.

Upgrade my headphones from LucidSound LS31 headphones to ROG Delta USB C headphones.

Because I am upgrading my headphones I need to upgrade my sound from onboard audio to EVGA NU Audio sound card to take advantage of the new headphones.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

19 hours ago, flashiling said:

sure.

first, start reading up on what amd components are good and what they require and why.

figure out if you wanna go amd cpu and gpu or just cpu.

figure out how much money you're willing to spend and if your budget is tight prepare to get a faceful of reality if you set your expectations too high.

make a post asking for advice on an amd build on this forum and don't actually buy anyhting till black friday and cyber monday are over.

chances are that they will be cheaper and many people will mention that.

feel free to use the @ once you've made the post.

so you are saying not to but items on BF or CM and the prices will be cheaper.

i am buying a turbo charger for my truck, which has electronics in it

computers - probably a ssd and looking into a used i7 one of these years.

4 hours ago, Geospark said:

so you are saying not to but items on BF or CM and the prices will be cheaper.

i'm saying that you might want to wait if you want to get more preformance for the money you spend. but i myself a year ago bought a rig exactly 364 dags ago.

Because yes maybe i could have saved money if i waited but i wanted it now so i did :D.

what i'm saying is that if you're willing to wait till BF or CM you can probably get better stuff for your pc for cheaper prices.

but i also said that you might want to read up on what components work best with other components, (such as amd cpu's and fast ram)

this is because it's not always good just to blindly follow people on an internet forum but also aquiring knowledge yourself and maybe understanding why some things work better with others.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just a few days ago I went from:

Athlon X4  --->  Ryzen 5 2600

Some crappy mATX mobo --->  ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS

8GB DDR3 (1333mhz I think)  --->  Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit

Earlier this year I upgraded from a Sapphire 6970 2GB to an Aorus RX580 8GB

Looking into getting an M.2 drive if any good deal is available during black friday.

Mainly for RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Death Stranding

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-58-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-fire-tv-edition/6355437.p?skuId=6355437

This TV, according to blackfriday.com, is supposed to be $200 as a doorbuster for black friday.

I think I found the 4K TV I will be getting.

If my Best Buy ends up not having this TV, this will be my fallback:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJZPZNS/ref=twister_B07H5S7X4X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:03 AM, TheJooomes said:

RX 550 2gb 512c to RX 550 4gb 640c

Why not get a used 580 on ebay? 

58 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

Why not get a used 580 on ebay? 

Because upgrading my OptiPlex's PSU along with such a graphics card is starting to get kinda pricey, when all I need is a little more VRAM.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

1 hour ago, TheJooomes said:

Because upgrading my OptiPlex's PSU along with such a graphics card is starting to get kinda pricey, when all I need is a little more VRAM.

Lookout on Wednesday to see if EVGA has any b-stock units with free shipping for like $20. Did that with one of my optiplexes. 

It looks like I have to update myself. According to the doctor, I have to start the "upgrade" on my kidney....and the next one is gift card to the funeral home.

I may be getting a new cpu cooler this christmas. I've been using the wraith that came with my 3800x, but i've been noticing it's been pretty noisy, so i'm looking at a deepcool cooler

Considering I'm running a GeForce 8400GS right now (GTX 970 RIP) I badly need a gpu. Don't know if I want to go cheap with a GTX 1660 Super since I don't expect Turing nor Navi to age all that well, or if I still want to go with something stronger like 5700, 2060 Super, or 2070 considering 1660 Super is a reasonable but not huge upgrade from a 970. Should have just bought a 1070 a couple of years ago for $350, would have been better than $230 today for 1070 performance in the 2060 Super.

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Should have just bought a 1070 a couple of years ago for $350, would have been better than $230 today for 1070 performance in the 2060 Super.

you are saying the old 1070 is better then the new one, no question mark.

interesting, yea if i coulda went back i would have done things differently myself

26 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

CDon't know if I want to go cheap with a GTX 1660 Super since I don't expect Turing nor Navi to age all that well, or if I still want to go with something stronger like 5700, 2060 Super, or 2070 considering 1660 Super is a reasonable but not huge upgrade from a 970.

I can vouch for the 5700.  I am using it right now while I wait on my CPU upgrade and even with a decent bottleneck it still crushes everything I throw at it.  Microcenter has some pretty sweet rebate deals if you're near any of their stores.

As for the topic at hand, I just upgraded to an RX 5700 and I'll be grabbing a new Ryzen processor within the month.  Which one depends on what my local Microcenter decides to put on sale this holiday season ?

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

The only upgrade I'm doing this year is replacing our living room tv with a Vizio PX65.  We already put OLEDs in a couple other rooms, but not trusting my daughter to not keep it paused for hours at a time.  The PC side is rather boring and I've already upgraded the house to 40Gbe to anything that can take a network card.  The only other upgrade was to a WiFi 6 mesh network, but that's not too exciting.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

44 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

you are saying the old 1070 is better then the new one, no question mark.

interesting, yea if i coulda went back i would have done things differently myself

Crap, I meant 1070 performance in the 1660 Super. If I would have known my 970 would die during a super overprice generation though I would have definitely jumped on Pascal.

35 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

I can vouch for the 5700.  I am using it right now while I wait on my CPU upgrade and even with a decent bottleneck it still crushes everything I throw at it.  Microcenter has some pretty sweet rebate deals if you're near any of their stores.

As for the topic at hand, I just upgraded to an RX 5700 and I'll be grabbing a new Ryzen processor within the month.  Which one depends on what my local Microcenter decides to put on sale this holiday season ?

Any games where the cpu and/or the AMD DX11 drivers have been a massive bottleneck? I basically have your cpu plus hyperthreading in the Xeon E3-1231v3. I haven't games much on PC this year so I wonder how much of a worry DX11 even is though. Does pretty much everything other than Ubisoft games come on DX12 and/or Vulkan now?

I'm a little worried about my PSU with a 5700 XT since it's only 450W, though a pretty decent 450W psu (Bitfenix Formula 450 Gold). So I'd probably just grab 5700 and run stock if I go AMD.