All right I had enough. I am unsubscribing from linustechtips.

avg123
Just now, xARACHN1D said:

I am saying that OP should not have started hating. Everyone has a right to their opinion and if they hate something, no need to go share it with everyone else.

the OP did nothing wrong in my eyes.

Being passionate and disappointed doesnt mean you are hating.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

On 10/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, avg123 said:

The latest Google pixel 4 review video "Apple should be embarrassed- Google Pixel review" is clearly so biased that it really made me question his intentions. Its a review of an Android flagship phone, yet he only compares it to iPhone 11 and no other Android phone like Samsung or Huawei  and constantly finds ways to bash Apple instead of honestly reviewing a product. At this point I genuinely think he is kissing Google's ass by praising the Google product on the google platform youtube and taking every opportunity to bash Apple. 

Now I have just recently started to watch Ltt vids more but I feel like this is something a lot of people in the tech space do also. Not just reviewers, just people online and stuff. Sometimes I feel like I can't say something I like about Apple without people bashing me for it tbh. But also, I feel that some of those people also watch Linus videos, and it can be shown. For example, remember the "10 reasons why ______ is better" series? Well, look at the iOS video and then look at the Android video. Notice anything? There are a lot more dislikes on the iOS video than the Android one (30k for the iOS one vs 6k for the Android one). Same thing with the MacOS and Windows videos (11k vs 3.8k, a lot less noticeable than the iOS one but still a lot more).

Although I will say that I must not be the only one who notices that google is trying to copy the iPhone with the Pixel, with the camera square and all that stuff. That may have a bit to do with it.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, avg123 said:

I hate the recent linustechtip store product placements and clickbait titles and Linus's clear bias against Apple has come to a point where honestly I cannot trust his reviews anymore.

Opinions vary. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-kp

50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The channels aren’t what decide that kind of thing though.  They’re just the medium by which the advertiser influences the consumer (you).

I'm not sure if that is the case, a channel can easily change their video titles to something that isn't so clickbaity and still get clicks, and as Linus can easily change video titles and still have advertising.

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not sure if that is the case, a channel can easily change their video titles to something that isn't so clickbaity and still get clicks, and as Linus can easily change video titles and still have advertising.

so true

I feel like this is the 100th thread I've seen about this and I can understand why people are annoyed but the way I look at it is this.

• The clickbaity thumbnails - while some people really hate them and tbh I don't love them, you cannot deny that in the world of youtube, sticking a recognisable face (which Linus is to a lot of techies) draws people in. I think this is especially helpful to people that might be new to the space and have maybe only seen one video in passing. Chances are they may have enjoyed it and seeing Linus' face plastered on the thumbnail in a way that is eye catching (even if it is because of a stupid face) grabs eyes.
  • Clickbait titles - This is something I would put down to the ever continuing saturation of YouTube and its algorithm. They have to try and pull in people and lets be honest, with the audience they are targeting with say a Pixel review, I can see why "Apple should be embarrased" works so well. I don't entirely agree with using clickbait titles but at the same time, at least their clickbait titles lead you to some reasonable content.
  • LTT Store product placements - These are another one that I don't understand people getting so pissy about. Revenue from YouTube comes from ads. But the tech enthusiasts that watch LTT are probably among the most likely to use an ad blocker. So they have to try and diversify their revenue streams. So I don't mind them putting them in. I would argue that there are some videos where they are a bit much (especially on floatplane) but then again, the people most likely to pay for floatplane are probably also the most likely to buy a tshirt. And they have been getting better at smoothing them into content and playing them off rather flippantly.

Is LTT perfect? No. Is LTT still entertaining? I'd say yes.

Yes there are videos that aren't as good as some of the early ones. Yes I'd quite like to see Luke on camera again more often than the occasional guest appearance but I also quite like using Floatplane.

I realise I've probably convinced no one with this but oh well.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

10 minutes ago, Inversion said:

tl;dr clip

My issue with watching the ltt channel is the content. There is a lack of content.

Videos do not equal content, it feels like i might as well be watching dead air. Its super shallow and dull now, just with flashy jump cuts and overkill 8k cameras, literally no one asked for.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, RelativeMono said:

i mean i agree but i still use the forums. :P

although anyone who cares about tech would dislike apple, hes too nice to them imo.

apple is not for people who have any curious tweaking things brain

apple is literally the control ads they had a long time ago.

A blanket statement of "anyone who cares about tech would dislike apple" is counter productive to.... everything. There's a large volume of people who "care about technology" that don't align with your thinking. I am one of those.
I daily drive iOS
I daily drive Windows
I frequent OSX
I have limited knowledge on Linux.

I daily drive iOS because I need a phone that "just works". I don't have the ability, the time, or the desire to try and tweak with an Android phone trying to get it to work (or continue to work) when I need the device, and I need it functioning. I would like to use android more because of some of the usability and more openness, but I went through an unsuccessful string of multiple android devices, running multiple flavors of Android (don't remember the version), from multiple different manufacturers before I finally gave up and moved over to the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone 4s. I drove that phone literally until it died on me, about a month after the iPhone 8 was released. I moved onto the 8. It's still a larger phone than I would like. Since then, the only issue I've had is the failure of the home button on my 4s after about three years of use.

6 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I feel like this is the 100th thread I've seen about this and I can understand why people are annoyed but the way I look at it is this.

• The clickbaity thumbnails - while some people really hate them and tbh I don't love them, you cannot deny that in the world of youtube, sticking a recognisable face (which Linus is to a lot of techies) draws people in. I think this is especially helpful to people that might be new to the space and have maybe only seen one video in passing. Chances are they may have enjoyed it and seeing Linus' face plastered on the thumbnail in a way that is eye catching (even if it is because of a stupid face) grabs eyes.
  • Clickbait titles - This is something I would put down to the ever continuing saturation of YouTube and its algorithm. They have to try and pull in people and lets be honest, with the audience they are targeting with say a Pixel review, I can see why "Apple should be embarrased" works so well. I don't entirely agree with using clickbait titles but at the same time, at least their clickbait titles lead you to some reasonable content.
  • LTT Store product placements - These are another one that I don't understand people getting so pissy about. Revenue from YouTube comes from ads. But the tech enthusiasts that watch LTT are probably among the most likely to use an ad blocker. So they have to try and diversify their revenue streams. So I don't mind them putting them in. I would argue that there are some videos where they are a bit much (especially on floatplane) but then again, the people most likely to pay for floatplane are probably also the most likely to buy a tshirt. And they have been getting better at smoothing them into content and playing them off rather flippantly.

Is LTT perfect? No. Is LTT still entertaining? I'd say yes.

Yes there are videos that aren't as good as some of the early ones. Yes I'd quite like to see Luke on camera again more often than the occasional guest appearance but I also quite like using Floatplane.

I realise I've probably convinced no one with this but oh well.

Clickbait thumbnails and titles are a fact of life with YouTube now. There was a video (vlog? I don't remember) on the subject some time back (before the office was shuffled around). In it was the claim that clickbait titles/thumbs actually increase viewership substantially enough to be relevant to production. We don't have to like it, but it's dictation outside of LTT's control if you ask me. They're just playing the game by the rules set in place.

I don't particularly care for the product placements either. None of what they have on their store really applies to me either (outside of their water bottles, though I already have enough of them), so it's not something that allures me in. Their sponsor spots and placements are part of running their business though. I am among those that use an adblocker, unapologetically at that as well, particularly with focus on Google services. Because of this, I partake in supporting the sponsor spots and lttstore plugs. I also use their affiliate link when I purchase from Amazon.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

"Google may have cut too many corners... - Pixel 4 Review"

And then he proceeds to praise Pixel 4 on all ends. I was scratching my head most of the video as only good trait of it is a photo camera. And that's literally it. It runs on buggy software made by Google itself, too small battery for generally power inefficient Android with a forehead the size of Texas, ugly plastic toy looking design, ugly camera array flawed face authentication, gimmicky radar thing and to top it off garbage privacy practices coz it's Google after all.

In all honesty, I mostly watch LTT videos for entertaining purposes. If I need a serious approach to review I'll probably look elsewhere. And it's their own fault for being taken that way with clickbait nonsense and constant inconsistencies. People give shit to MKBHD for various things, but he seems more consistent across the board, don't see any serious bias and I like his "hey, this is my opinion on this device" than doing a forced "review"...

As a review it is Linus' opinion on the Pixel 4, if you want someone constantly praising Apple there's plenty of Youtube channels that only focus on Apple and bash everything else.

Although all of that is biased nitpicking. Buggy software, too small of a battery? You must have never used anything with stock Android. Ugly plastic design? Thats the problem with most consumers, it doesn't look like a fashion accessory like every other shiny glass brick, and the Pixel 3 got the same criticism from the reviewers biased towards Apple, while they ignored how much easier it was to open the phone to replace the battery in a Pixel 3 because of the plastic backing. Business practices? You're trading a companies shitty business practices for another with just as bad practices.

All the large camera bumps look terrible, and the iPhone stove top or fidget spinner lenses look even worse. Face unlocking is a marketing gimmick in general, a phone will always unlock with face authentication when you look at it, a fingerprint reader is still the better option as it takes an action with your finger to unlock.

Personally I do still enjoy LTT content, but I'd like to point out one problem I'm running into: Everything is just being made bigger and better over and over again. there's only so many times I can see a computer with 16 million cpu cores smashing cinebench r6000, another 500 petabytes getting added to a server room or an office worth of people gaming on one rig before I get bored. 

Now this certainly doesn't apply to all of their content; as I pointed out, I still enjoy most of it, but it does make me kind of sad that I don't tend to click on those "big project with expensive stuff" videos anymore. I see another super fast gaming rig and I'm like "yeah sure, oh look here's a new colinfurze video"

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

Personally I do still enjoy LTT content, but I'd like to point out one problem I'm running into: Everything is just being made bigger and better over and over again. there's only so many times I can see a computer with 16 million cpu cores smashing cinebench r6000, another 500 petabytes getting added to a server room or an office worth of people gaming on one rig before I get bored. 

Now this certainly doesn't apply to all of their content; as I pointed out, I still enjoy most of it, but it does make me kind of sad that I don't tend to click on those "big project with expensive stuff" videos anymore. I see another super fast gaming rig and I'm like "yeah sure, oh look here's a new colinfurze video"

yeah, just content

literally everything they do now is a tech quickie and the tech quickie episodes would be more entertaining if they put it on the main channel and had it 30 minutes long.

like the last tech quickie, should be a 30 minute long doc on the where are they now thing. At least its content, but they gotta stretch that content over 10 tech quickies because they have no content. sad

ive recently stopped watching as well.

i dont mind the clickbait titles, and thumbnails. never looked at them anyways.

the script writing is where i think the issue is.

its no longer factual information with jokes thrown in to make it not dry and boring.

its jokes with a few facts that i could get off the spec sheet.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Did I say that? Making assumptions and being media critical are two different things. For example, I don't think Linus has ever called himself reviewer. So imo they are bending the definition of review, and taking their videos as actual reviews means that you can really blame yourself if you base your decisions purely on LMG content.

I don't watch his videos anymore, for all the reasons in this thread. They are bending nothing, they title it with "review" to get them clicks. They lie, plain and simple. 

You're delusional if you think different.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

13 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I don't watch his videos anymore, for all the reasons in this thread. They are bending nothing, they title it with "review" to get them clicks. They lie, plain and simple. 

You're delusional if you think different.

But that's you saying it, not me. Don't bend my words, that won't end well for you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

But that's you saying it, not me. Don't bend my words, that won't end well for you.

not understanding exactly how you are wording and bending are two different things.

and whats with the threat at the end? hahahaha

They put review in the title, and by giving their thoughts and opinions in the video, that by definition is a review and it does matter.

The people that make threads regarding the clickbait because they want an honest review of the product,repeatedly using misleading titles will obviously have people doubting the trustworthiness of the content.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

They put review in the title, and by giving their thoughts and opinions in the video, that by definition is a review and it does matter.

The people that make threads regarding the clickbait because they want an honest review of the product,repeatedly using misleading titles will obviously have people doubting the trustworthiness of the content.

forget about the click bait

thats literally not even a quarter of the problem

click bait also doesn't need to be a lie, it can just be an exaggeration, dont turn this into a judicial technicalities bs

15 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

not understanding exactly how you are wording and bending are two different things.

and whats with the threat at the end? hahahaha

LTT using word "review" doesn't mean that one should think their videos as real reviews. They might themselves think they are close enough. So they aren't lying, just bending definition. I'm not calling them liars, so anyone saying so would be twisting my words.

The "threat" is just saying that I'm not in my first internet argument, and if your tactic is to twist my sayings, you aren't gonna win.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

LTT using word "review" doesn't mean that one should think their videos as real reviews. They might themselves think they are close enough. So they aren't lying, just bending definition. I'm not calling them liars, so anyone saying so would be twisting my words.

The "threat" is just saying that I'm not in my first internet argument, and if your tactic is to twist my sayings, you aren't gonna win.

youre accusing everyone of twisting your "sayings"

tinfoil time

1 minute ago, RelativeMono said:

youre accusing everyone of twisting your "sayings"

tinfoil time

I replied to one person who literally had "so you are saying" in their post. You can go back and read it. Anyway, this is getting off topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I replied to one person who literally had "so you are saying" in their post. You can go back and read it. Anyway, this is getting off topic.

myb i thought you were saying i was twisting your words too

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Anyone who bashes and disrespects Apple or NZXT is automatically considered my friend. Out.

+1

14 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

forget about the clickbait

thats literally not even a quarter of the problem

Thats true, whats worse is the content seems to be less entertaining, the talking seems to be too forced, or scripted,and I could care less LTT uses $50k RED cameras when the videos get cropped down to some weird resolution, the Youtube analytics probably show the target audience views their videos on phones idk. I just want honest informative content, GamersNexus and Level1Tech does some of the best technical reviews, other channels like JayzTwoCents, BitWit or PaulsHardware do much more entertaining videos IMO.

13 hours ago, floofer said:

YouTube isn’t a job. LMG is a media company. 

So all those guys playing video games are jobless? The more you know!

LMG is a media company... so?

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You claim videos with a review title are not infact review videos. So they are clickbaity titles to bring in that revenue. So they are lying. It's not open for interpretation, it's pretty obvious they stick "review" in the title so when john hancock searches youtube for "that new product" their video shows up in the search results or appears on peoples feed.

So when i sell my car i should label it "rare lambo" because i stuck some badges on it? Aye, thought not. Oh and please do "bring it" with your history of internet arguments.

Not my 1st rodeo either. But 1st how about you reply to @Spotty

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

As a review it is Linus' opinion on the Pixel 4, if you want someone constantly praising Apple there's plenty of Youtube channels that only focus on Apple and bash everything else.

Although all of that is biased nitpicking. Buggy software, too small of a battery? You must have never used anything with stock Android. Ugly plastic design? Thats the problem with most consumers, it doesn't look like a fashion accessory like every other shiny glass brick, and the Pixel 3 got the same criticism from the reviewers biased towards Apple, while they ignored how much easier it was to open the phone to replace the battery in a Pixel 3 because of the plastic backing. Business practices? You're trading a companies shitty business practices for another with just as bad practices.

All the large camera bumps look terrible, and the iPhone stove top or fidget spinner lenses look even worse. Face unlocking is a marketing gimmick in general, a phone will always unlock with face authentication when you look at it, a fingerprint reader is still the better option as it takes an action with your finger to unlock.

Lol, you seem to think I never used Android. Where it's the opposite. I never used Apple till now. And boy there is so much bullshit about Apple going around. I don't want praising of Apple, I want realistic representation and this review was almost bordering to cringe. Especially when whole jab was at Apple and entirely ignoring entire range of better Androids that are cheaper as well. Like you know, Xiaomi Mi9T, Redmi K20 Pro, OnePlus 7T, hell, possibly even some Nokia phones that are all cheaper have stock Android and offer arguably better functionality or looks. But no, take cheap jabs at Apple and praise really lazy attempt from Google. Like, come on. If you run stock Android, your only advantage is either some specific software feature on top of it since it's Google (I did say transcribe and camera is one of (rare) benefits) or going above and beyond with hardware. Neither of which seems to be the case with Pixel 4 on some next level that would blow us all away. In which case I'd probably go with some Xiaomi device coz I have really good experience with them in general despite everyone pissing on MIUI, but I loved it. It's so rich with features and it was always smooth as butter I absolutely loved it. And they updated regularly despite being so custom modded. Or if I wanted stock experience, Nokia or OnePlus. Paying 800 bucks for Pixel 4 is straight out ridiculous for what it offers. 500 bucks yes, sure. 800, you may just as well grab iPhone 11. And I'm not the only one to say this.