Now THIS is ̶P̶o̶d̶r̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ Game Streaming - Steam to turn "Local Multiplayer" Global, only requiring one game copy

rcmaehl

Source:

WCCFTech

Arstechnica (quote source)

Summary:
Steam Developer Aiden Kroll confirmed an upcoming feature teased on the Unity development forums. Local Multiplayer over the Internet, but only requiring one version of the game.

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

On Wednesday, Steam sent a...news update to developers about a...new feature coming to Steam as soon as October 21: "Remote Play Together." The feature will transform any "local multiplayer" video game into an online one, and ...other players won't have to buy a copy to join in.  As of press time, the emailed update has been posted on a Unity development forum. The news was later confirmed by Valve developer Alden Kroll as authentic. Valve has yet to otherwise post its own announcement. Once the beta goes live, players can pull up the Steam Overlay (shift + tab on a keyboard) while playing a Steam game with any form of "local multiplayer" support and load their friends list...[and] send a Remote Play Together invite. On a more technical level, the host's computer renders the game in question while also shouldering two other burdens: it must stream its game video to other participants, and it must juggle all incoming buttons and commands from other players. Valve's email promises that this will support a 1080p video signal sent to other players at a 60FPS, though all players must have at least a 10Mbps connection for "a successful low-latency connection."  We've tested upcoming game-streaming services like Microsoft Project xCloud and Google Stadia,...we've noticed everything from near-perfect connections to noticeable, tolerable latency. Can Valve's version possibly keep up, especially when it will ask "host" PCs to juggle game rendering, video streaming, and input translation? Valve's explanatory email says the beta will launch "the week of October 21" for all users of the Steam Client Beta. So long as a shipped Steam game includes a tag for "local co-op," "local multiplayer," or "split-screen," it will automatically be supported. Valve's email offers an assurance in terms of game sales: "We don’t believe it’s feasible to use Remote Play Together to avoid purchasing games on Steam entirely, and like other promotional tools and features, we believe the additional exposure and fun players have will lead to additional revenue and player growth." If that's not comfort enough, developers must contact Valve to opt out of their games automatically appearing in this beta.

My Thoughts:

Now this is REASONABLE game streaming. Users can still own their steam games (although we all know they're really just licenses) but share them via game streaming. Unlike other solutions (Hamachi, etc), each player doesn't have to own their own copy of the game, it's basically like being in the same room. I can honestly see this increasing game sales as people are getting to experience the game without actually buying it through their steam friends along with reviving old games that used to have online multiplayer but are now stuck with local multiplayer. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

So, Halo games are coming to steam and they all have local multiplayer, I hope this will work with them too. I would love to chill and play some Halo 2 with my friends in other states

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Very good. This would definitely be a benefit to a lot of users IMO. It would certainly encourage PC growth through friends that are more budgetary hindered... you could just play this way on certain games with your friends to stretch that budget a bit further.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

watch nobody put their local multiplayer game on Steam ever again :P

This is really cool though, love it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

on the other, how would anti-cheat work...? o_o

I don't think that would be a huge concern for local multiplayer/splitscreen games. It wouldn't be an issue like it is in competitive online or even ranked games like CSGO, PUBG, etc. where you get in lobbies with hackers and it ruins the game for everyone.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Now this is REASONABLE game streaming. Users can still own their steam games (although we all know they're really just licenses) but share them via game streaming.

The ownership is still over the games.

The license is to use the IP via a copy of it, and a non-revokable (as is the case with all perpetual licenses) license to use the IP means exclusive ownership [2] [3] [4] over an instance of the IP. Property is holding the comprehensive set of rights over a thing. In the case of a perpetual software license, the rights that are held are the comprehensive rights to use the software IP via a non-reproduceable instance of it. The instance cannot be revoked, and the purchaser exclusively has all entitlements over that instance, and so they own that instance.

A license to make personal use a software IP in its entirety is one-and-the-same thing as owning a non-reproduceable copy of the IP, and a perpetual license to make personal use the IP is equal to owning an instance.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=124564&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=5213884

EU CoJ ruling:

"Moreover, as stated in paragraph 46 above, in a situation such as that at issue in the main proceedings, the copyright holder transfers the right of ownership of the copy of the computer program to his customer."

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

So hosting multiple instances of one copy of the game and also streaming the video, all from one computer.

The owner/host is going to have his PC bogged down to a halt, and the friends he is 'sharing' the game with are going to have to deal with both latency and video compression.

Feature is going to be unusable for vast majority of Steam users, unless they 'share' a game that is easy for both CPU and GPU to run multiple instances.

Maybe for AAA titles but older, retro, and arcade games should have too much of a problem

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

44 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So hosting multiple instances of one copy of the game and also streaming the video, all from one computer.

The owner/host is going to have his PC bogged down to a halt, and the friends he is 'sharing' the game with are going to have to deal with both latency and video compression.

Feature is going to be unusable for vast majority of Steam users, unless they 'share' a game that is easy for both CPU and GPU to run multiple instances.

Just have one of the new threadripper cpus that are going to come out and also have 2x2080tis. Easy fix. 

Nice. good job Valve

It's great to see new, useful, features that make you stand out in the marketplace

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This looks like a response to what Parsec has been doing for months now with its "Parties" feature.

Spoiler

b4p8Qb.png

I mean, it's nice that Valve is doing that, but Parsec for some reason just works better than Valve's streaming, and it works for every app, not just Steam games.