Linus's speculation about SteamOS was plain wrong

thewhitestig

@LinusTech

http://youtu.be/Uk45njIUvH0?&t=11m6s

Here in his newest video he was basically saying that for now, the only viable option is Windows 8 while SteamOS may be another option for desktop gaming PCs when gets out of beta. Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever. I thought the same as Linus a while ago and was torn on the subject. So I decided to ask an actual game developer. I'm sure everybody knows him - Johan Andersson, the engine architect of the Frostbite Engine. So I asked him, is there a possibility of SteamOS replacing Windows for desktop gaming? He basically said, that there is no chance of that happening. So yes, Windows is THE gaming platform when it comes to desktop gaming. Period.

Here is the link to my question to Johan: https://twitter.com/repi/status/384816765781278722

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Here in his newest video he was basically saying that for now, the only viable option is Windows 8 while SteamOS will be another option for desktop gaming PCs when gets out of beta. Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever.  I thought the same as Linus a while ago and was torn on the subject. So I decided to ask an actual game developer. I'm sure everybody knows him - Johan Andersson, the engine architect of the Frostbite Engine. So I asked him, is there a possibility of SteamOS replacing Windows for desktop gaming? He basically said, that there is no chance of that happening. So yes, Windows is THE gaming platform when it comes to desktop gaming. Period.

Here is the link to my question to Johan: https://twitter.com/repi/status/384816765781278722

Of course frostbite won't be on steam so that's a given, my opinion though steam so is pointless when you can download mint or Debian

I may be wrong but i dont think steam OS is meant to replace windows. I think it there there to compete with the console and replace them in the living room. I, personnaly would not replace windows with it because to many of my programs would not work on linux and i am not really interested in personalizing my OS. Windows is there for a lonnng time, but i am not so sure about the next gen console that will come out in a couple of years :P

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

ZNvlLwr.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Let's define speculation, shall we?

Speculation- the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

You're mad becauseeeeee?

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Here in his newest video he was basically saying that for now, the only viable option is Windows 8 while SteamOS may be another option for desktop gaming PCs when gets out of beta. Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever. I thought the same as Linus a while ago and was torn on the subject. So I decided to ask an actual game developer. I'm sure everybody knows him - Johan Andersson, the engine architect of the Frostbite Engine. So I asked him, is there a possibility of SteamOS replacing Windows for desktop gaming? He basically said, that there is no chance of that happening. So yes, Windows is THE gaming platform when it comes to desktop gaming. Period.

Windows is the gaming platform now. We don't know how Valve will handle Steam OS in the coming time. The reason Windows is the gaming platform now is that it has support. When Steam OS starts gaining speed more games will start to support it. 

Quote me to get a reply!

I may be wrong but i dont think steam OS is meant to replace windows. I think it there there to compete with the console and replace them in the living room. I, personnaly would not replace windows with it because to many of my programs would not work on linux and i am not really interested in personalizing my OS.

That was exactly my point. SteamOS will not replace Windows when it comes to desktop gaming.

I'm sure many people will say that you can still use it on the desktop, Of course, but what's the point of installing StemOS on your desktop if you can ONLY do gaming and not much else. So no, SteamOS will not be a viable option for desktop gaming PC's and recommending it for that kind of build is just abysmal to me. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Bye!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Linus is not talking about a real fact coming up any time soon. He is talking about a Free OS that's focused on media and entertaining, that would open the door to many developers to encourage a OS change on the platform.

While being a powerful candidate, SteamOS is no replace for a desktop experience, but with time, and well played moves, we might see more developing done on other OS that could easily be a direct competitor for Windows.
This is just like when he talks about cloud gaming, streaming, and the end of consoles. He is not talking about something going on anytime soon, but he let us see the possibilities that are opening up, and giving us some insight.

Developers and software creators of today (specially the big ones) are mainly focused on they business right now. So it's not surprise that a Dice developer told you this.

That was exactly my point. SteamOS will not replace Windows when it comes to desktop gaming.

I'm sure many people will say that you can still use it on the desktop, Of course, but what's the point of installing StemOS on your desktop if you can ONLY do gaming and not much else. So no, SteamOS will not be a viable option for desktop gaming PC's and recommending it for that kind of build is just abysmal to me. 

But it's linux and you can pretty much do whatever with it.

You're mad becauseeeeee?

Mad is a strong word, I would rather replace it with disappointed but ok, whatever. I'm "mad" because Linus was implying that if SteamOS was not in beta, he would've recommended it. That's would be a very poor recommendation.

Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever. 

The only reason i have windows is games...and i'm sure not alone in this. If 95% of all games in say...5 years would run on linux there would be no point in buying a windows licence.

Replacing Windows for productivity purposes? No probably not.

Replacing Windows for strictly gaming? If there were some performance benefits to be had, why wouldn't it be an option for people?

I hardly see how one dev's opinion is definitive proof of SteamOS's insignificance. Anyway, I've always thought that the main reason for Valve's push with SteamOS was to break the Linux Gaming Vicious Circle where No Games -> No Gamers -> No Games -> etc. I don't think they intend to replace Windows with their solution entirely.

SteamOS is not meant to replace windows, but Linux might in future. Obviously steamos is not a desktop experience, but if more games support it then Linux can take off.

HTTP/2 203

I agree with you. With Steam OS being primarily for gaming, Windows and Mac WILL remain for productivity, that is unless Steam gives it a GUI along with a word processor. Also, what about legacy games such as recoil which are only compatible with Windows?

Also, to everyone here who is like 

omg ... go away ... 

How is this participating discussion or being polite? If you have an opinion, present it. Don't give one liners expecting 'likes'. Express yourselves.

Mad is a strong word, I would rather replace it with disappointed but ok, whatever. I'm "mad" because Linus was implying that if SteamOS was not in beta, he would've recommended it. That's would be a very poor recommendation.

Well, the majority of developers want their games on linux. I doubt valve would be dumping all this money into steamos/linux/whatever if they knew it wasn't going to succeed, it's pretty much confirmed that the source2 engine will work on linux, so that means it'll have massive titles like "Left 4 Dead 3" & "Half-Life 3", btw you asked a developer, not a games journalist and/or analyst. The majority of developers (and pretty much every other person on this planet) don't know crap if SteamOS will be able to take over. Also he's been working on a windows only game engine for god knows how many years of his life, if linux would take over, that'd mean all of thos years are pretty much wasted (unless they could easily port it over ofc).

From where i'm standing it looks like you never wanted it to succeed in the first place. Me? I'll play my games on whatever operating system it comes out on first, if that means OSX, i'll just load it up on my virual machine.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

SteamOS is not a viable option because one random dev said it's not?

Not just any dev, it's the engine architect of Toomuchlensflare engine Frostbite engine. EVERYONE knows him apparently...

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

speculation

theory

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

based on speculation, no way to prove one way or another. In a way this is kinda like me making a thread about half life 3, you think it will come some time in the future but there is no guarantee 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yeah, because Johan Andersson is a time wizard and can see into the future. Johan's guess is as good as Linus'. Neither of them has any proof. That's you know, why they are "speculation" and not "theories".

You didn't post any proof that Linus was wrong, just like me quoting Linus would not prove Johan Andersson wrong.

Edit: Damn you @Warcony you beat me to it.

Nobody can see into the future just like @LAwLz

Well... Some people can see into the future... I am not allowed to talk about it though because of... reasons.