Linus's speculation about SteamOS was plain wrong

thewhitestig

Of course frostbite won't be on steam so that's a given, my opinion though steam so is pointless when you can download mint or Debian

But without Valve pushing for Linux, you wouldn't have anywhere close to the gaming experience you could have on Linux now, let alone in the future with this new push from Valve.

And if you go back to 2003, you could find many people saying Steam will fail. 

You're aware that Frostbite is behind games like Battlefield right? Games which are published by EA...

What makes you think a game company that publishes through EA is going to have an unbiased view of SteamOS, given that everything EA ever does is an attempt to undermine Steam or Valve...

This is by far the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. It is one thing to point out Linus was wrong but you are sensationalizing a stupid point. That Linus is wrong. Sure I respect his input but who cares that he is wrong, you pointed it out congratulations! You also did not even prove Linus wrong in the first place. Nobody can see into the future just like @LAwLz

As far as Steam OS I do not think it was designed to replace windows as the PC gaming king. I think it was meant so you could build your own "steambox" without worrying about dealing with Linux or buying Windows. Steam Box itself was to introduce console gamers to PC gaming so it would make sense the OS would essentially do the exact same thing on a software level.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

People... please, I'm not saying that SteamOS will not succeed. I don't know if it will or will not. It probably will in it's own market which is living room media center console type PCs. But one thing I know for sure. Windows is the only OS for the gaming/enthusiast desktop environment and SteamOS will not replace it. The implication from Linus that if SteamOS had not been in beta, he would've recommended it seems quite odd. He was building a high-end desktop gaming PC after all.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

But one thing I know for sure. Windows is the only OS for the gaming/enthusiast desktop environment and SteamOS will not replace it.

But how do you know for sure that SteamOS / Linux in the future will not be the gaming OS of choice? This just seems like speculation on your part that you are then saying that Linus's speculation is wrong.

If Linux is as good as Windows for gaming in the future, it makes sense to use it, its free. If it performs better than Windows, even better.

You can't just blindly say that SteamOS/Linux will never replace windows without giving any form of evidence.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

And Bill Gates once said that 640KB of RAM will be more than we'll ever need..

Just because someone said it wont happen doesn't mean it will.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

But how do you know for sure that SteamOS / Linux in the future will not be the gaming OS of choice? This just seems like speculation on your part that you are then saying that Linus's speculation is wrong.

If Linux is as good as Windows for gaming in the future, it makes sense to use it, its free. If it performs better than Windows, even better.

You can't just blindly say that SteamOS/Linux will never replace windows without giving any form of evidence.

It can certainly happen in the far future, but in the near future when SteamOS (non beta) becomes available, you would be giving an awful recommendation if you say "get SteamOS for you dual GTX 780 Ti desktop gaming pc build". Yes it's also speculation on my part saying that Valve will not come out tomorrow saying "screw it, we also wanna take down Windows and their monopoly, so we're doing a special SteamOS version for the desktop environment", but it's far more likely to assume that it's not gonna happen. Like it's far more likely to assume that a piano will not drop on your head when you're living in the middle of the field. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

And Bill Gates once said that 640KB of RAM will be more than we'll ever need..

Just because someone said it wont happen doesn't mean it will.

Apparently Gates never said that.

It can certainly happen in the far future, but in the near future when SteamOS (non beta) becomes available, you would be giving an awful recommendation if you say "get SteamOS for you dual GTX 780 Ti desktop gaming pc build". Yes it's also speculation on my part saying that Valve will not come out tomorrow saying "screw it, we also wanna take down Windows and their monopoly, so we're doing a special SteamOS version for the desktop environment", but it's far more likely to assume that it's not gonna happen. Like it's far more likely to assume that a piano will not drop on your head when you're living in the middle of the field. 

It would not be an awful recommendation to say to someone not to get SteamOS just because they have SLI'ed 780Ti's, they are used for gaming and so is SteamOS.

Windows is the gaming platform now. We don't know how Valve will handle Steam OS in the coming time. The reason Windows is the gaming platform now is that it has support. When Steam OS starts gaining speed more games will start to support it. 

hello mr random brown kid

Take what Linus says with a pinch of salt; he is wrong sometimes. When he is wrong sometimes, people don't bother correcting him.

After all, he is only Human

Compatible with Windows 95

http://youtu.be/Uk45njIUvH0?&t=11m6s

Here in his newest video he was basically saying that for now, the only viable option is Windows 8 while SteamOS may be another option for desktop gaming PCs when gets out of beta. Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever. I thought the same as Linus a while ago and was torn on the subject. So I decided to ask an actual game developer. I'm sure everybody knows him - Johan Andersson, the engine architect of the Frostbite Engine. [blah blah blah]

Yeah it's rude of me to cut off your post like that, but I honestly stopped reading at that point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Of course frostbite won't be on steam so that's a given, my opinion though steam so is pointless when you can download mint or Debian

That's true for 99% of all distros out there, including the most popular ones:Ubuntu and Mint.

That's just the way Linux is though: it's so modular you can hand made your entire OS to your liking or try someone else's take on it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This should be in the Operating Systems and Software section. I'm moving the thread,

Please post in the correct subforum int he future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

While being a powerful candidate, SteamOS is no replace for a desktop experience

Of course not, because the desktop experience is actually going to go extinct within a decade or so. Even Microsoft seems to think so going "LOL fuck desktop users, let's build a Tablet UI" 

-------

Current Rig

-------

It would not be an awful recommendation to say to someone not to get SteamOS just because they have SLI'ed 780Ti's, they are used for gaming and so is SteamOS.

The key word you deliberately left out here was desktop. Where did I say that it's not okay to put SteamOS on a 780 Ti SLI build for your living room? That's right, I didn't! Because I was explicitly talking for desktop environments. And I repeated that in every post I made so far. So please don't take my words out of context.

Im jumping on steam os when it gets web browsing and email and that kind of basic functionality windows has. So, it will replace my windows 8. So you're wrong?

EA is garbage why do I care if linux doesn't get frostbite 3, they can't pay me to play their games.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Im jumping on steam os when it gets web browsing and email and that kind of basic functionality windows has. So, it will replace my windows 8. So you're wrong?

EA is garbage why do I care if linux doesn't get frostbite 3, they can't pay me to play their games.

I stand by this.

Not just any dev, it's the engine architect of Toomuchlensflare engine Frostbite engine. EVERYONE knows him apparently...

The irony is that DICE almost certainly has an OSX and Linux port of Frostbite running internally.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

That's already all there because of Debian. Really the only things you might have a hard time replacing on SteamOS at this point would be more specialized apps like photoshop (there's GIMP but designer types are quite bitchy about using it) or certain really specialized things like professional audio and video editors (there are versions that work on Linux, they're just not as useful) But everything else yeah, it's pretty much ready.

-------

Current Rig

-------

hello mr random brown kid

Hello little confused cat

Quote me to get a reply!

Steam OS ... god the games. Just freakin run steam in the big picture when booting your pc, it's the same experience, Steam OS doesn't have the crowd or the games, don't think that's going to change soon sorry for the guys that say no. You clearly haven't games on multiple platforms.

People... please, I'm not saying that SteamOS will not succeed. I don't know if it will or will not. It probably will in it's own market which is living room media center console type PCs. But one thing I know for sure. Windows is the only OS for the gaming/enthusiast desktop environment and SteamOS will not replace it. The implication from Linus that if SteamOS had not been in beta, he would've recommended it seems quite odd. He was building a high-end desktop gaming PC after all.

He said it may be an option, he didn't say he would recommend it if it wasn't beta, because at the moment he doesn't know either.

Sigh, installing Steam OS on a desktop is lunacy, just install a desktop Linux (like Ubuntu, Mint, ect.) and install Steam on it, if you want Linux, exactly the same functionality as Steam OS but designed for the desktop, and then if you want Steam OS hit 'Big Picture Mode' and BOOM Steam OS, you can do that very thing right now in Windows too.

I cannot comprehend how some people actually think Steam OS is meant to be a desktop OS that could replace a desktop OS like Windows or a desktop Linux, it's not, Steam OS is designed specifically for the living room, yes it has a desktop mode but it's still not a desktop OS, it was designed mainly as a streaming client/web browser for your TV, if very good game development comes to Linux in the future then all the better but for now and at least the next few years Windows will be the main OS for gaming with but you can have Steam OS on your living room TVable to play those same games via streaming.

You could see in the future if Linux gets very good game support then Valve could add a direct to desktop boot option and convert it to a desktop OS but for now it's very much a living room OS.

http://youtu.be/Uk45njIUvH0?&t=11m6s

Here in his newest video he was basically saying that for now, the only viable option is Windows 8 while SteamOS may be another option for desktop gaming PCs when gets out of beta. Uhhmm... no. It's never going to be an option. Not now, not ever. I thought the same as Linus a while ago and was torn on the subject. So I decided to ask an actual game developer. I'm sure everybody knows him - Johan Andersson, the engine architect of the Frostbite Engine. So I asked him, is there a possibility of SteamOS replacing Windows for desktop gaming? He basically said, that there is no chance of that happening. So yes, Windows is THE gaming platform when it comes to desktop gaming. Period.

Technically looking at the video and reading your statement. Linus is actually right.

It will be an option, how good of one depends on how much it is developed for and how many users it has. Linus intimated that it is not an option right now as it is in beta, and it wont really be an option for a long while. Presumably for it to actually get developed for. Basically the same arguments you make below.

You also keep saying it will never be viable for a gaming pc, because it wont have other non gaming programs. That just means it wont replace Windows as a general OS, not that it would stop it from being an alternative for gaming. This also doesn't take into account other options tAlso he didn't recommend that anyone make it a SteamOS machine, either now or when it come from beta. It was implied that you could do that if you choose. It should have been obvious whether or not it fits the users need at the time.

That was exactly my point. SteamOS will not replace Windows when it comes to desktop gaming.

I'm sure many people will say that you can still use it on the desktop, Of course, but what's the point of installing StemOS on your desktop if you can ONLY do gaming and not much else. So no, SteamOS will not be a viable option for desktop gaming PC's and recommending it for that kind of build is just abysmal to me. 

Mad is a strong word, I would rather replace it with disappointed but ok, whatever. I'm "mad" because Linus was implying that if SteamOS was not in beta, he would've recommended it. That's would be a very poor recommendation.