Honda "Urban" EV - nearly done, new info

cluelessgenius

So Honda is apparently 99.99% percent close to mass production with its "urban" EV or so it was called when it was still a concept.

Anyone remember this tiny muscular looking beast?

Bildergebnis für honda urban EVHonda-Urban-EV-2020-1024x588.jpg

well thats gone for sure now. the mass production model lost even the little bit of sportyness the concept had

142290-200986-200985_rc.jpg

Heres the rough points:

• 4 door
    • because that means more narrow doors which they figured are better for inner city parking
  • digital side mirrors
    • so far that has been a luxury EV features only and now its gonna be standard on all Honda e's
  • they plan on bringing it to market 2020
  • "only" 200 km range (not WLTP tested), 35.5kWh battery pack
    • presumably to cut down weight and cost and since its meant as a city car they just assumed nobody would realistically need all the crazy range
    • one upside of the small pack is a 30 minute charge to 80 percent , at least according to honda
  • rear engine, rear wheel drive
  • 110 kW (150HP) , 300Nm
    • really not blwoing anyone away like on some tesla shit but hey ...i guess it goes with the whole city car thing again
  • 1.5 ton, 50:50 weight distribution
    • so basically the same as a vw golf as far as weight goes
  • 8.6 m turn radius
    • since there no engine in the front they implemented a 45° turn angle on the wheels, looks very interesting in the video

Sources are 

the german site golem.de 

https://www.golem.de/news/elektrofahrzeug-retro-auto-honda-e-nahe-am-serienzustand-enthuellt-1907-142290.html

and fully charged also did this video where you can get a closer look yourself

Personally i think they ruined it for me. i was so hyped about a old school sqare-ish design and the wide body on the concept looked real good like a mix between a pitbull and a shizu ...you know small but muscular

no it looks like just a shizu...you know those dogs the girls carry in there bags. literally it became a shopping car (t) to me.

I still think its very interesting for what it is. 

when you consider that they are going for a city car i think going for a smaller battery and range is perfect. same for power. you just dont need it in the city and if it gets cost down then thats great.

also the side mirrors being cameras i find really interesting. the whole concept of doing that is really fresh and so far at least i have only seen it on high end cars from high end car manufacturers and even then it was a optional extra and now honda is gonna just put it on all their E's? great

so its still interesting as a topic for me but i just have to put it in a whole different category for me personally and am not thinking about getting one anymore.

oh forgot to meantion ...price isnt clear yet. according to FullyCharged, Honda mentionened somewhere between 20k and 45k. thats a wide ass gap but i would agree with the FullyCharged estimate around 30k 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

110 kW (150HP) , 300Nm

• really not blwoing anyone away like on some tesla shit but hey ...i guess it goes with the whole city car thing again

That is honestly a lot of horses.....

My Mazda doesnt have that many horses......

100hp per ton is pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well i would consider that bare minimum but yeah i gut with a city car they could have also gone down further so ok thats pretty good but again not gonna be a performance monster like the higher classes. i really wanted it to be a juiced up bully. not looking like much and then leaving porsches in the dust with their torque.

a tiny part of me still hopes for a type r version at some point and maybe a bodykit bringing back some masculinity

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

3 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

i think some people forget that even 100hp in a small car will make it move like shit off a shovel, especially electric torque

i used to have a suzuki swift, little 1.2l tuned up to 98hp and that flew off at low speeds because it weighed absolutely nothing

yeah i know and it does look decent but this thing is not leight weight. its the same as a heavily speced golf. 

electric torque should make for fun in the city but there you cant fully enjoy it. and on the open road 100HP doesnt get you much. i mean im comparing ICEs here since i havent driven an EV before but yeah im not getting exited over 150 HP in 1.5 ton car thats basic.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

How does that Mazda rust taste?

2 minutes ago, pizapower said:

How does that Mazda rust taste?

Hah, ive got none essentially. None that isnt present on any car from 2007

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Hah, ive got none essentially. None that isnt present on any car from 2007

You are lucky. Mazdas are terrible rust buckets.

3 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

this isn't an open road car, it's a city car designed for the traffic-light grand prix. you wouldn't take a smart car on country roads and expect to enjoy it

Even then, its 150 horses at like every RPM. 

Even in a 1,5 ton car thats pretty good.

3 minutes ago, pizapower said:

You are lucky. Mazdas are terrible rust buckets.

I specifically chose the 2007 model since all problems with the design have probably been solved with the last model. They changed design in 2008.

33 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Dunno why, but this Honda always reminds me of VW Golf 1, but with slightly rounded edges.

yeah. the origonal concept at least did have that retro look which personally loved.

34 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

this isn't an open road car, it's a city car designed for the traffic-light grand prix. you wouldn't take a smart car on country roads and expect to enjoy it

i know i know but i was hoping for a car like that and am now dissapointed they turned it into a shopping cart

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Even then, its 150 horses at like every RPM. 

Even in a 1,5 ton car thats pretty good.

still nothing id call sporty

28 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I specifically chose the 2007 model since all problems with the design have probably been solved with the last model. They changed design in 2008.

well yeah i did the same but getting the latest of a specifc model only means they did their best within their mean on that platform in your case it can still mean that 2008 model is still better then the latest of the previous platform. idk mazda though. im just saying in general.

I'd rather defecate into my hands and clap then buy this car. 

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

I'd rather defecate into my hands and clap then buy this car. 

shish . ok. we get it. its hideous now. no need to get graphic about it.

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

shish . ok. we get it. its hideous now. no need to get graphic about it.

It’s just technology from a 2017 Nissan Leaf in a new shell. Might as well buy a Nissan.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

It’s just technology from a 2017 Nissan Leaf in a new shell. Might as well buy a Nissan.

well yeah. could actually be. i was honestly more interested in the design anyway but now thats over soo idk.

the leaf is still quite big though i would really love to see something small and compact but with a bit of a kick in its butt. like an abarth 595 but as an EV. the lower range would be fine by me if it yould at least somewhat rival tesla or at least audi and mercedes in performance. 

a small car that goes like hell with 200km range would be awesome.....if it also looked decent enough....i mean lets wait and see how this one looks once its lowered and got some rims on there i guess

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

This Honda looks better than the Nissan Leaf IMO.

But I really like the design! It's bit too similar to the Fiat 500, but the Fiat 500 is a good-looking car. I'm so happy that Honda didn't go with the "stupid overly aggressive angry AF design for a tiny slow economical car" you see on the Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris or Chevy Sonic. Because you really, absolutely need a massive grille in front to feed a puny motor with moaaar air!! 

54 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i mean im comparing ICEs here since i havent driven an EV before but yeah im not getting exited over 150 HP in 1.5 ton car thats basic.

Some youtuber compared his Nissan Leaf(110 HP, ~1,5 ton) with some lightweight roadster that he had(2xx HP) saying that below 60MPH it was faster, here you have 36% more power. I remember seeing engine maps and reading about cars with less HP being faster, top power isn't as important as average power.

i actually think it looks nice but i've no need for a tiny city car so the range is too inconvenient for me

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

if it's more affordable and relatively the same quality as the Tesla 3 it'll probably do well.

2 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

This Honda looks better than the Nissan Leaf IMO.

But I really like the design! It's bit too similar to the Fiat 500, but the Fiat 500 is a good-looking car. I'm so happy that Honda didn't go with the "stupid overly aggressive angry AF design for a tiny slow economical car" you see on the Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris or Chevy Sonic. Because you really, absolutely need a massive grille in front to feed a puny motor with moaaar air!! 

ok speaking of the "grill"

we front from top to bottom

image.png.1fc9377f44bc8a48387a33cfaecb15ad.png

that alone hurts it alot imo

33 minutes ago, Loote said:

Some youtuber compared his Nissan Leaf(110 HP, ~1,5 ton) with some lightweight roadster that he had(2xx HP) saying that below 60MPH it was faster, here you have 36% more power. I remember seeing engine maps and reading about cars with less HP being faster, top power isn't as important as average power.

ok granted if you look at dino graph most petrol cars take a long time to rev up to their max power so at low revs the eletric motot got the upper hand i guess but that doesnt help if they limit them to 140-150 km/h or something. i mean i dont know if they will on this one but it has been done in EVs because going faster uses exponentially more power which i get but still what good is all that torque if you can basically forget about overtaking cars at all on the highway.

again i get its not for the highway but i think we need some EVs for the highway

Before you comment on the car, check out that video -- apparently the E is extremely nimble and has good off-the-line acceleration.  Looks like it'd be a blast to drive, at least in the city environments it's made for.

My only beef is that Honda hasn't unveiled production plans for a larger, longer-ranged EV yet.  Can we have a Fit/Jazz EV, please?

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Before you comment on the car, check out that video -- apparently the E is extremely nimble and has good off-the-line acceleration.  Looks like it'd be a blast to drive, at least in the city environments it's made for.

My only beef is that Honda hasn't unveiled production plans for a larger, longer-ranged EV yet.  Can we have a Fit/Jazz EV, please?

well they had that second concept called "sports" i believe.

but i at least havent seen anything closer to production than the concept. but that may be a more longer range sporty car. personally i dont like the design as much though.