MSI Mocks Apple w/ New Prestige 5K Monitor (stand included!)

1 minute ago, Thaldor said:

There are stupidly high priced monitor stands, but they usually aren't made from recycled aluminium, give only option to height adjustment, pivot and tilt and they are not for one monitor. Samsung and Panasonic seem to do the same shit as Apple, but they don't go out with a big show trying to sell those stands.

I know.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

How is this compared to the LG 5K2K ultrawide?

Probably a similar quality. I'd choose the LG though. That said the Apple Pro Display XDR is a different beast entirely.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I'm still looking for the "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" commercial wherein Apple guy asks PC guy what he's doing, to which PC guy responds:

PC: "Oh, just playing some games with my friends."

MAC: "Really? Which ones?"

PC: "Oh you know, *looks at screen* All of them".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can argue with whatever I want, I sometimes just don't want to.    Do I think it's over priced? sure, is it worth a song and dance? nah. 

No no no, art is in the eye of the beholder. It's worth as much as one is willing to pay ?. It's an Apple art piece that happens to be able to hold a monitor, all about the spin.

14376530-7105299-image-m-2_1559690151105.jpg

Look at this fine piece of modern art.

Just now, James Evens said:

Isn't the point of a reference monitor that they guarantee you colour parameter and apple does not do this to that extend?

Yes, they are highly accurate, not just in color but in contrast, dynamic range and all the other bits and pieces we mere movies goers don't even realise we are witnessing.   The apple one won't be as good as high end reference monitors, but it is still likely to be at least as good as they spec it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No no no, art is in the eye of the beholder. It's worth as much as one is willing to pay ?. It's an Apple art piece that happens to be able to hold a monitor, all about the spin.

14376530-7105299-image-m-2_1559690151105.jpg

Look at this fine piece of modern art.

It looks like a soap dispenser in a swanky hotel.  

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s a nice marketing opportunity, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is an entirely different class of waste of money

Fixed that for you.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Pro Display is positioned as an inexpensive reference monitor and is taking on monitors that are in the 5 digit price range. 

This MSi monitor isn’t even in the same league as the Pro Display XDR. 

They aren't comparing it to the monitor.  They're comparing it to the price of the stand.

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can argue with whatever I want, I sometimes just don't want to.

Can't say I've ever seen you not argue about something. ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They aren't comparing it to the monitor.  They're comparing it to the price of the stand.

Can't say I've ever seen you not argue about something. ;)

Quite often I quote people to reinforce what they have to say. 

23 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Fixed that for you.

You not being the targeted marketed doesn't mean that the professional market won't buy thousands of them. These may be paid sponsorships or w/e, but the market is there (take this as you want):

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/6/3/reactions-from-developers-including-avid-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr

So it's not a waste of money. It's just that that kind of equipment is more expensive, take that as you want as well. I personally know few people that bought the iMac 5K when ti was released because they needed the best screen for work while not paying tens of thousands of $, and this is few steps above. It was not tested enough to have all info but we're talking LCD that has blacks on OLED level according to some reputable news outlets. That is crazy.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

17 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You not being the targeted marketed doesn't mean that the professional market won't buy thousands of them. These may be paid sponsorships or w/e, but the market is there (take this as you want):

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/6/3/reactions-from-developers-including-avid-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr

So it's not a waste of money. It's just that that kind of equipment is more expensive, take that as you want as well. I personally know few people that bought the iMac 5K when ti was released because they needed the best screen for work while not paying tens of thousands of $, and this is few steps above. It was not tested enough to have all info but we're talking LCD that has blacks on OLED level according to some reputable news outlets. That is crazy.

So it's super important that they have this thing, but not important enough to buy the (apparently) more expensive, but better and more proper tool for the job?

10 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I personally know few people that bought the iMac 5K when ti was released because they needed the best screen for work while not paying tens of thousands of $, and this is few steps above. It was not tested enough to have all info but we're talking LCD that has blacks on OLED level according to some reputable news outlets. That is crazy.

The ignorance is astonishing.

While in theory yes, in reality no. While the XDR has HDR in it, it's the cheapest kind of HDR called local area dimming (found in almost every cheaper HDR screen (TVs) that isn't OLED). While it's currently one of the two affordable ways to get HDR with OLED with both having their own problems (OLED -> poorer color reproduction and less saturated, LAD -> halo effect), they are still far from those 5 figure screens which have IPS with per pixel dimming, which is expensive AF.

I'm not saying the XDR is bad, but it's also not that "magical". Probably the biggest downside in the XDR is that Apple sells it as "calibrated" screen while they probably do what they do with every screen they sell; Just make calibration to one screen and slap those settings to every other screen, although with Apples high standards that kind of works, it's still far from really calibrated screens (for the real calibration the screen must be calibrated in the place, you cannot calibrate it in factory or shop because lighting affects the color reproduction and that's why some professional screens have build-in calibrators most notably Eizos).

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

So it's super important that they have this thing, but not important enough to buy the (apparently) more expensive, but better and more proper tool for the job?

Not everyone has the same needs. Hence why there are consumer GPU options between a 1030 and a 2080Ti.

So, yes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

More like people can pay few thousand $ but not few tens of thousand of $. You know, money limitations and all.

4 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

While in theory yes, in reality no. While the XDR has HDR in it, it's the cheapest kind of HDR called local area dimming (found in almost every cheaper HDR screen (TVs) that isn't OLED). While it's currently one of the two affordable ways to get HDR with OLED with both having their own problems (OLED -> poorer color reproduction and less saturated, LAD -> halo effect), they are still far from those 5 figure screens which have IPS with per pixel dimming, which is expensive AF.

I am talking from info that the said news outlet mentioned, as in screen to screen comparison. Of course, needs more testing, that's why I said hasn't been properly tested yet. My biggest problem is still charging $1k for matte version though.

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s a nice marketing opportunity, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is an entirely different class of monitor. 

Obviously, but it's also 6 times more expensive. This is about the stand being overpriced. Not that I see marketing stunts very favorably, but they do have a point.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not that I see marketing stunts very favorably, but they do have a point.

Basically every Apple mocking stunt/ad works. It's a trend.

Hmmm. Interesting. I kind of want that monitor. And, aside from all you guys arguing about small details in their marketing, it works. You're talking about it. So clearly they did a good job. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's funny haha. Though the Pro XDR monitor is pretty much great, ticks like all the boxes sans high refresh rate. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Basically every Apple mocking stunt/ad works. It's a trend.

Many of the phone makers that mocked Apple with ads are either gone or shadows of their former selves (Motorola and Nokia in particular), so I wouldn't say that they usually work.  That and Apple is probably laughing all the way to the bank in this case.

13 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Many of the phone makers that mocked Apple with ads are either gone or shadows of their former selves (Motorola and Nokia in particular), so I wouldn't say that they usually work.  That and Apple is probably laughing all the way to the bank in this case.

Can't succeed with only mocking. Their products were not there.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Most pro gear is only 10% better than the average consumer market product,  but it's that last 10% that costs all the moula to make and is necessary for professionals. 

I think you're confusing that with pro gamer gear. Production equipment is not something any IT department will purchase without warranty or even 24hr on-site servicing. This isn't to mention the need for precision and accuracy, which most of these professional and/or production equipment tend to outclass even the enthusiast offerings.

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Can't succeed with only mocking. Their products were not there.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  They mocked because they didn't have much to stand on.  I remember Motorola making fun of the iPhone 4's antenna issue... yeah, ha ha, too bad the company was already starting its post-Droid decline at that stage.

17 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

I think you're confusing that with pro gamer gear. Production equipment is not something any IT department will purchase without warranty or even 24hr on-site servicing. This isn't to mention the need for precision and accuracy, which most of these professional and/or production equipment tend to outclass even the enthusiast offerings.

A lot of professional equipment isn't actually that good, not in the ways most people think of. Take professional audio equipment, most of that isn't better quality than good home equipment however they are much more rugged and built in mind of being dropped or transported on trucks. Recording studio equipment is also largely the same as anything an at home professional would buy but with more inputs and support for offboard processing and universal clock etc.

Good entry level camera equipment is much better now and you can do a great deal more. Here again there is different design requirements with the expectation from this lower market segment for the product to do more itself without the need for an extensive array of add on and other accompanying equipment.

A lot of high end professional equipment is more about doing one single thing great, better than anything else but not necessarily by leaps or bounds but just enough that you can tell and know it is better. If something is to only do one thing is needs to be flawless at it, minor problems are seen in a much different light when you only have one job to do and there is no "well it has a lot of functions and is well priced so it's not that bad" mind set.

I'm never happy with a server that is mostly stable and boots almost every time without error, it doesn't perform actually any better than a comparable spec workstation but my expectation between the two different products is vastly different. The server needs to never experience any issues that takes it offline, needs to function with all verified part options and configurations and properly support all listed operating systems without firmware updates bugging things out or adding any caveats. This is why I generally have a lower opinion of Servermicro servers compared to that of HPE/Dell/Lenovo because Supermicro often comes with caveats and their firmware is not perfect.