MSI Mocks Apple w/ New Prestige 5K Monitor (stand included!)

51 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Said it before. 

The monitor itself is priced fine, about what you'd expect. But the stand? Come on. I'm pretty sure this stand is nowhere near good enough to justify sticking "$999" unless it's entirely motor driven. Even then, it's a toughie. 

51 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I bet that if the monitor is shown with a price of $5999 with the stand alongside an option of having no stand with a $1000 rebate, the PR hit would at least be not as much of a mockery. 

But also a lot less free marketing.

Any half competent marketing team or executive would surely know that prominently launching a simple stand at a ridiculous $1000 would draw a lot of negative press.

So either they were willing to take the backlash in the hopes that the sales would make up for any negative publicity  -- but in that case, there would be no need to make such a prominent announcement; the stand's price could have just gone unmentioned. Negative press would have been far less, and they would still have sold some stands for $1000.

The other option is that they believed that the mocking itself would still be beneficial as it would spread word of the Apple display that goes along with this ridiculously priced $1000 stand at a mere $5000. After all all publicity is good publicity. This to me seems like the only scenario that makes any sense given that Apple's marketing is at least half competent at what they do.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 hours ago, 79wjd said:

The other option is that they believed that the mocking itself would still be beneficial as it would spread word of the Apple display that goes along with this ridiculously priced $1000 stand at a mere $5000. After all all publicity is good publicity. This to me seems like the only scenario that makes any sense given that Apple's marketing is at least half competent at what they do.

Given Apple’s response though, I doubt they’d have expected that sort of public response.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, leadeater said:

Look at this fine piece of modern art.

A fine piece of modern are that will mostly be hidden behind a monitor.

1) People complaining about Apple's stand price weren't even in the market to buy the new Apple display anyway.

2) Most people don't want a stand on this kind of monitor anyway, opting for VESA mounting on custom display mounts.

3) It actually makes sense for Apple to make the stand optional and price it higher for low quantity manufacturing, since the usual scaling of mass production savings won't get to affect it, and I'm sure it will be a LOT more solid and avoid shaking and wobbling as compared to most of the other monitor stands on the market.

I still wouldn't buy either the monitor or the stand…but I'm not the target reference monitor audience.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:25 PM, Commodus said:

Er, what?  If you need it, you've already dropped at least $5,000 on their ecosystem.  You need it whether that monitor hooks up to a Mac or a Windows PC.  And no one buying a Mac Pro is obligated to buy that monitor.

Christ people *whooosh* over the simplest of comments. A typical sturdy vesa mount that would quite happily hold the monitor is like 15$/£. So let me correct the guy on reddit:

It's a 175$/£ Apple tax because...... it's using their daft "apple only" linkage system.

I couldn't care if it's a 50, 500 or 500k monitor. Trying to wring out the last bit of cash from me with some daft over engineered "thing" attached to the monitor that either means i get dicked to the base (the stand) or "just the tip" (overpriced vesa mount thats common as fuck everywhere else) is a joke.

I never intend to buy it (or anything apple), but it won't stop me calling them cunt's for moves like this.

And fyi, i still appreciate the monitor vs the 40k+ ones they are matching.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

17 hours ago, justpoet said:

It actually makes sense for Apple to make the stand optional and price it higher for low quantity manufacturing, since the usual scaling of mass production savings won't get to affect it, and I'm sure it will be a LOT more solid and avoid shaking and wobbling as compared to most of the other monitor stands on the market.

The stand is only optional because they wanted to hit a price target and rather than making a more reasonable cost stand they turned it in to an option that inevitably increased the cost, it's probably like 1/3 the cost if it were to come with the monitor but in doing so would mean an MSRP above what Apple wanted.

So there's multiple solutions to the problem, increase the MSRP and include the stand and VESA mount (like $400 MSRP increase), have designed a cheaper stand, have a cheaper stand included with the option to upgrade to the fancy one. 

It only makes sense for Apple, not including a stand doesn't make much sense to the consumer.

55 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It only makes sense for Apple, not including the soap doesn't make much sense to the consumer.

FTFY.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

FTFY.

How is Apple supposed to know which fragrance of soap you like, there is simply no way to include it because of that.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How is Apple supposed to know which fragrance of soap you like, there is simply no way to include it because of that.

Anyone who pays $1000 for a soap dispenser is clearly going to want apple scented.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.