MSI Mocks Apple w/ New Prestige 5K Monitor (stand included!)

30 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  They mocked because they didn't have much to stand on.  I remember Motorola making fun of the iPhone 4's antenna issue... yeah, ha ha, too bad the company was already starting its post-Droid decline at that stage.

It still is a trend. Nothing bad can come out of mocking Apple. That's the general view. Samsung mocks Apple every year and here they are.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

22 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It still is a trend. Nothing bad can come out of mocking Apple. That's the general view. Samsung mocks Apple every year and here they are.

And let’s face it it works because there’s a public out there for it. There are people who get high of apple hate or skepticism or mocking. Who feel better about themselves and feel they know better. There’s a whole media industry profiting off “demistifying Apple” or mocking Apple. And they “nourish” their public to keep them coming. And let’s not forget media connections with apple competitors. Wanna get full access to the next launch or event? Develop personal relationships with reps? Be sure to never be too positive about apple...

LMG takes part to this abundantly let’s not kid ourselves.

As readers/viewers, we should be vigilant in discerning tech journalism from tech entertainment. 

With apple being such a huge part of the tech pop culture, media cycle and on the bleeding edge of innovation, why doesn’t LMG have a resident “apple guy”? Like, a bona fide apple geek who knows every nook and cranny of macOS, iOS, Swift, etc.?

Weird huh.

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s a nice marketing opportunity, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is an entirely different class of monitor. 

Who gives a crap about the pro display, that's completely irrelevant. This is about charging 1000$ for a fucking stand.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

19 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Who gives a crap about the pro display, that's completely irrelevant. This is about charging 1000$ for a fucking stand.

How about 875$ for a tactical top plate

https://www.red.com/dsmc2-tactical-top-plate

what’s next, MSI mocking the cost of parts of an F35 jet?

Apples and oranges in terms of markets..

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

How about 875$ for a tactical top plate

1. That top plate requires more advanced machining
  2. That top plate houses electronics within it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

what’s next, MSI mocking the cost of parts of an F35 jet?

Not a good comparison at all. This is a monitor ad mocking the cost of a monitor stand. Makes perfect sense to me And bringing red into this isn't making it better, I really don't like the mindset of "well this other company pulls this kind of bullshit too so that makes it okay!".

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Not just RED, I feel that whenever something is

- metal (and thick)

and/or

- precisely machined

and/or

- low volume or niche

and/or

- designer-grade 

and/or

(- precisely tuned to make an heavy monitor feel weightless)

I certainly can expect or at least theoretically conceive it coming at a premium price. It is not outside the realm of my imagination. It doesn’t escape the limits of what I can conceive. It doesn’t make me go bananas. But then again I’m no youtuber jumping on some relevant news of the week train or something..

Regular people jumping on the stand meme train risk looking like they’ve never been around non-IKEA furniture, audio equipment, camera equipment, etc. where even apparently “inanimate” solid objects pieces stands and handles can carry an hefty price..

3 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

where even apparently “inanimate” solid objects pieces stands and handles can carry an hefty price..

Apple is charging $1,000 for a fairly basic  adjustable stand.

The machining doesn't cost that much.

The mechanism doesn't cost that much.

And unless Apple's engineers are borderline incompetent, engineering doesn't cost this much.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Many of the phone makers that mocked Apple with ads are either gone or shadows of their former selves (Motorola and Nokia in particular), so I wouldn't say that they usually work.  That and Apple is probably laughing all the way to the bank in this case.

Samsung did and they are just fine. They work very well when it actually is true.

23 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

- metal (and thick)

and/or

- precisely machined

and/or

- low volume or niche

and/or

- designer-grade 

and/or

I certainly can expect or at least theoretically conceive it coming at a premium price. It is not outside the realm of my imagination. It doesn’t escape the limits of what I can conceive. It doesn’t make me go bananas. But then again I’m no youtuber jumping on some relevant news of the week train or something..

Regular people jumping on the stand meme train risk looking like they’ve never been around non-IKEA furniture, audio equipment, camera equipment, etc. where even apparently “inanimate” solid objects pieces stands and handles can carry an hefty price..

Design engineering wise it's not that expensive to over engineer something, it actually takes a significantly higher amount of effort to perfect something to the exact lowest dollar amount while maintaining it's ability to serve the function it needs. You make up all that cost in selling huge quantities of what ever it is at a low enough price but high enough margin.

As for examples like audio equipment that industry is rife with snake oil and placebo i.e. Silver directional audiophile network cables which are a total scam, cost a lot and function worse than a $6 standard Cat6a cable that actually adheres to the correct specification. I've seen audio equipment in cases that likely require more design effort, use higher grade aluminium finished to a higher standard and contain more material and sell in far lower quantities cost less for the case.

Both sides of this argument have no real clue of what the “zero G” (how I would have called it) stand is worth until it is released and dissected to pieces, but one side is also acting like they couldn’t even *conceive* a stand shaped object being worth that, which is weird, limited in scope and a bit of a herd mentality at the moment..

13 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

Both sides of this argument have no real clue of what the “zero G” (how I would have called it) stand is worth until it is released and dissected to pieces, but one side is also acting like they couldn’t even *conceive* a stand shaped object being worth that, which is weird, limited in scope and a bit of a herd mentality at the moment..

Other monitor stand/arms exist that also have weightless/zero-g balance, this isn't some new un-pioneered territory in to the unknown. A bit of market observation can be applied to know what would be a common price compared to one that isn't. What something is worth and what someone will pay might not be closely aligned.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Samsung did and they are just fine. They work very well when it actually is true.

Er, Samsung's mobile division hasn't been faring all that well for multiple quarters in recent times, and there have been problems right in the heyday of its Apple-mocking ad campaigns (say, the slump that came with the S5/S6).  The ads didn't hurt the company, but they haven't really helped, either.  They've mostly been appealing to insecure Samsung fans who want to pretend they're counterculture while embracing a multinational megacorporation.

To be honest guys, even if MSI added an anodized aluminum stand and shell for an extra $500 their monitor would still be a much better deal for the average creator/professional than Apple's stand alone (I'll bet no more than 10-20% of Apple's customer base needs and XDR monitor).

6 minutes ago, Results45 said:

To be honest guys, even if MSI added an anodized aluminum stand and shell for an extra $500 their monitor would still be a much better deal for the average creator/professional than Apple's stand alone (I'll bet no more than 10-20% of Apple's customer base needs and XDR monitor).

Most Apple's customers will be fine with iMac pro. I think the new Mac pro is targeting different group of users. The MSI ultrawide is a good monitor, but not the same league as the new Apple one.

MSI are big in gaming. But this monitor is better suited for productivities. So this is an unusual move for them. The MSRP $1299 is a little high. Consider LG 34WK95U has dropped quite a bit in price. I got mine for 1050 euro. I bet you can find it in $1000 in the US now.

I think selling the monitor and stand separately totally make sense.

Many workplaces have the monitors mounted on arms anyway and no one wants to pay for things they'll never use.

The problem is the $200 vesa mount. It should really be included. That's just a money grab.

I wouldn't care the official stand is $999 if I can just use any aftermarket stand with the vesa mount!

2 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

- metal (and thick)

and/or

- precisely machined

and/or

- low volume or niche

and/or

- designer-grade 

and/or

Again, the "other companies charge absurd prices, so that makes this okay too" mindset is really stupid and is just plain harmful. Excusing and supporting this behavior can only make it happen more often. Also, implying that criticism of a 1000$ single monitor stand is just a "band wagon" makes my head hurt.

6 minutes ago, mach said:

I think selling the monitor and stand separately totally make sense.

Many workplaces have the monitors mounted on arms anyway and no one wants to pay for things they'll never use.

The problem is the $200 vesa mount. It should really be included. That's just a money grab.

I wouldn't care the official stand is $999 if I can just use any aftermarket stand with the vesa mount!

That's the funny bit -- so many people here forget that the kind of pros Apple is targeting often have their own display stands or arms.  The $200 for the Apple mount is a bit much, but it's a trivial cost if you're already dropping $11,000-plus on a Mac Pro.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

That's the funny bit -- so many people here forget that the kind of pros Apple is targeting often have their own display stands or arms.  The $200 for the Apple mount is a bit much, but it's a trivial cost if you're already dropping $11,000-plus on a Mac Pro.

I know I didn't forget that, and it makes perfect sense. So they could have just included vesa mount holes on the back or included the mount adapter... But I guess the holes would look "ugly" and besides, they couldn't get that extra 200$ out of you if they did that.

7 hours ago, Tenelia said:

I think you're confusing that with pro gamer gear. Production equipment is not something any IT department will purchase without warranty or even 24hr on-site servicing. This isn't to mention the need for precision and accuracy, which most of these professional and/or production equipment tend to outclass even the enthusiast offerings.

No I understand.  I have done considerable work in production.  This has nothing to do with gaming really.

The thing you have to understand with professional grade equipment is that the people who use them are trained to look for specifics.  This has actually been measured in medical diagnostics.  Studies comparing off the shelf monitors with medical grade monitors show that after 1 year,  off the shelf monitors had degraded color enough to effect diagnostics (wrong diagnosis).  This is why even though the color is almost identical at purchase,  the issue is degradation over time.

For video production it's all in the top end,  the higher you go in your profession the more accurate you need your gear.  If you can detect color grading to <1% then your monitors has to be able to reproduce it to less than 1%.    Most top end off the shelf have adobe RGB at 99% and that is equivalent to REC709 (video industry standard as your base color gamut).  So it really comes down to how accurate it is to the spec and how long it remains accurate over time.  Those last few percent are where the money is.

EDIT: for the record all my experience is in audio, but the particulars are exactly the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 hours ago, williamcll said:

How is this compared to the LG 5K2K ultrawide?

It's not in the same category of monitors. 

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

As someone said on reddit. It's not a 200$ vesa mount. It's a 200$ apple tax for not buying into their ecosystem.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 6/7/2019 at 9:41 PM, Captain Chaos said:

It's also 5 times as expensive ... or 4 times if you don't buy the stand.

Compared to lower resolution and less feature rich options that often cost several times more. (Sony BVM-X300 V2 30" 4K OLED Reference Monitor for example is over $32K+)

The stand is ridiculous, but the Apple Pro Display XDR is actually quite reasonably priced, and also a much different class of monitor than the MSI Prestige PS341WU.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W