Changed gpu now have problems

Looking for some help. I recently tried to upgrade my video card from a RX 580 4GB to a RTX 4070 Super 12GB. When I changed the card and went to boot the computer again I had problems with the windows error codes popping up and I was unable to reach windows unless in safe mode. Figured it was a problem with the RTX 4070 so I put the 580 back in and had the same problems. I ended up getting back into the desktop with a reset of my computer from the advanced options menu on the blue error screen. Is there a way to prevent this before I try and install the 4070 again or do I need to update something first? It’s posted normally 5 times now in a row with the old setup back in it. 

The errors were 

DPC_watchdog violation 

Thread exception not handled

Specs are 

I9-12900k

32GB DDR5

Msi Pro z690-a WiFi DDR5

Msi Rx 580 4GB

Corsair 850w RMX

NZXT h510

I’m trying to install the gigabyte GAMING OC 4070 Super 12GB 

So I guess what I’m trying to ask in general is there a way I can prevent this from happening again when I attempt to install 4070 . It did the error stuff with both cards but is fixed with my old card back in. Was this a fluke or is it something simple like a bios update? 

Thanks for any help. 

12 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

Looking for some help. I recently tried to upgrade my video card from a RX 580 4GB to a RTX 4070 Super 12GB. When I changed the card and went to boot the computer again I had problems with the windows error codes popping up and I was unable to reach windows unless in safe mode. Figured it was a problem with the RTX 4070 so I put the 580 back in and had the same problems. I ended up getting back into the desktop with a reset of my computer from the advanced options menu on the blue error screen. Is there a way to prevent this before I try and install the 4070 again or do I need to update something first? It’s posted normally 5 times now in a row with the old setup back in it. 

The errors were 

DPC_watchdog violation 

Thread exception not handled

Specs are 

I9-12900k

32GB DDR5

Msi Pro z690-a WiFi DDR5

Msi Rx 580 4GB

Corsair 850w RMX

NZXT h510

I’m trying to install the gigabyte GAMING OC 4070 Super 12GB 

So I guess what I’m trying to ask in general is there a way I can prevent this from happening again when I attempt to install 4070 . It did the error stuff with both cards but is fixed with my old card back in. Was this a fluke or is it something simple like a bios update? 

Thanks for any help. 

Try DDU. 

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

That's due to a driver conflict from the old card's drivers. Anytime you switch GPUs you should remove the old graphics drivers before installing the new card. DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) is a free program you can get from GURU3D.com that will automatically uninstall the driver for you. You also wouldn't of had to reset the PC either if you had done this, prior or after you started getting the crashing as it can be ran in safemode as well.

Just launch DDU, select GPU for the Device and AMD for the manufacturer and then click the remove and shutdown option. Once the computer shuts off after uninstalling you can unplug the power cable from your PSU and swap out the GPU, boot it back up and install the 4070's drivers/Geforce Experience and you'll be all set.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

36 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Try DDU. 

Will give it a whirl when I get off work tonight. Thanks for the help. 

23 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's due to a driver conflict from the old card's drivers. Anytime you switch GPUs you should remove the old graphics drivers before installing the new card. DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) is a free program you can get from GURU3D.com that will automatically uninstall the driver for you. You also wouldn't of had to reset the PC either if you had done this, prior or after you started getting the crashing as it can be ran in safemode as well.

Just launch DDU, select GPU for the Device and AMD for the manufacturer and then click the remove and shutdown option. Once the computer shuts off after uninstalling you can unplug the power cable from your PSU and swap out the GPU, boot it back up and install the 4070's drivers/Geforce Experience and you'll be all set.

Will give it a whirl when I get home tonight, thanks for the help. 

3 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

Will give it a whirl when I get home tonight, thanks for the help. 

to be absolutly clear.. DDU needs to run in safemode to get all files and settings out.. since you can't load anything else.. load safemode with network and get it 😄

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

to be absolutly clear.. DDU needs to run in safemode to get all files and settings out.. since you can't load anything else.. load safemode with network and get it 😄

Does it need network to run? Can I download it then do it in safe mode. WiFi only is the reason I ask thanks 

1 hour ago, Tom1200 said:

Does it need network to run? Can I download it then do it in safe mode. WiFi only is the reason I ask thanks 

doesn't need network to run, if you download it on another pc and put it on a thumbdrive your good. 

11 hours ago, Robchil said:

doesn't need network to run, if you download it on another pc and put it on a thumbdrive your good. 

fixed it without the DDU i just deleted all the amd stuff thanks for putting me on the right track.