From 2022 every new car sold in the EU will be fitted with an automatic speed limiter, assisted braking and lane keeping assistance technology

Master Disaster
Just now, Drak3 said:

Limiting RPM in a vehicle limits speed.

It does, im not daft. But that would also entail limited speeds in different gears, and not just a upper speed limit that regardless of gear you cannot exceed. 

But RPM limits also limit engine output aswell.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

NASCAR without crashes would suck though.

Haha, my commute to work sucks with congested traffic and accidents lol.

Also, with speed limits, no more tickets. How will jurisdictions make up for the lost revenue?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

It does, im not daft. But that would also entail limited speeds in different gears, and not just a upper speed limit that regardless of gear you cannot exceed. 

But RPM limits also limit engine output aswell.

RPM limiters are only for engine protection now days anyway, the fuel method I linked to is the way they do speed limiters now. Both can co-exist.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

(snip)

Also, with speed limits, no more tickets. How will jurisdictions make up for the lost revenue?

By making the drivers license a subscription service. We all know how it will end.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

"I found your drugs in your car"

"That's an illegal exhaust modification and is exceeding noise limits"

"Your tail light is broken"

But... I didn't...

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

RPM limiters are only for engine protection now days anyway, the fuel method I linked to is the way they do speed limiters now. Both can co-exist.

Yeah, it mostly for older vehicles. 

And its more or less mandatory for military machines in peacetime. Who instead of running close to max performance are articificially limited to increase longevity and decrease tear. Especially obvious with post war military props and wartime props. Planes with the same engine lost horsepower.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

"I found your drugs in your car"

"Your tail light is broken"

But... I didn't...

And our favorite

"Your tesla radio, gps and multimedia system is a playstation and an illegal modification"

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Limiting RPM in a vehicle limits speed.

not really, you can always get the speed back with gearing, but limiting the RPM would limit the power output which could be dangerous if its too limiting.

Cars that accelerate to slowly are just as bad as cars going to fast.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Millions of lives could be saved if the air is clean but the EU doesn´t care

We could save ethe enviroment if we invested in Trains. But everyone just wants electric planes regardless of how stupid it is. 

A bullet train doing 600 would be just as effective for long range travel and freight trains carrying cargo can replace shipping boats. 

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Millions of lives could be saved if the air is clean but the EU doesn´t care

The EU is planning to be carbon neutral by 2050, and numerous member states want to stop sales of combustion engine cars by 2040.  I'd say it does care!

Another possibility would be to give speeding more severe of a punishment.

Here in Switzerland you get fined the moment you go over 3km/h, maybe they should start removing your license for an entire month if you go over 5km/h?

The same should happen to everyone that goes too slow, since those are just as much of a liability to the entire commute.

Go over 10km/h? Bye license for 1 to 2 years.

Go over 15km/h? Bye license for life.

Start going no tolerance on fuckers that simply do not respect traffic rules, speeding tickets are too lax in the EU, and in Switzerland as well.

If everyone would drive at the speed the locations allows you, there would be a lot less traffic, specially in highways with idiots going fast and slow as hell, forcing people in-between to brake causing traffic jams...and don't get me started on those goddamn mofos that hug the left and middle lane instead of prioritizing the right lane...

I have a 320 horse power car, this car even broke several records in a race track and is specially amazing for mountain passes, if I wanted I could go insane but I respect everyone instead.

You can put all the tech you want, that won't fix people's stupidity on the road, so the only solution is to start banning them from the road in a temporarily or permanent manner (depending on severity), only that way those idiots will learn.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

The EU is planning to be carbon neutral by 2050, and numerous member states want to stop sales of combustion engine cars by 2040.  I'd say it does care!

Isnt the goal to end manufacture of regular combustion vehicles by 2025?

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

We could save ethe enviroment if we invested in Trains. But everyone just wants electric planes regardless of how stupid it is. 

A bullet train doing 600 would be just as effective for long range travel and freight trains carrying cargo can replace shipping boats. 

There should be made high speed train lines for both people and freight with ton of capacity compared to today, between different parts of the world, for example between Europe and Asia.

Maybe even a train tunnel between Alaska and Russia, but that might be too expensive for the benefit that nations would actually do it?
An alternative is have ships run on 100% carbon neutral fuels, but I dont think technology is there yet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What about flying trains? That sounds like a good idea, someone should work on that ?

screen-4.jpg?h=355&fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Honestly Europe should invest in trains to decrease the import carbon output of that. Trains through russia or even better, the middle-east would be great 

A lot of rail offcourse to manage all the goods.

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

We could save ethe enviroment if we invested in Trains.

Every developed country could meet the Paris Accord carbon savings just by reducing the average population weight by 10%, actually a thing. Increase weight requires more energy to move (transport) and more food consumption (land and water pollution and transportation). Seriously forget everything else proposed, just lose weight, job done.

Hard part is getting over a billion people to lose weight.

6 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Another possibility would be to give speeding more severe of a punishment.

Here in Switzerland you get fined the moment you go over 3km/h, maybe they should start removing your license for an entire month if you go over 5km/h?

The same should happen to everyone that goes too slow, since those are just as much of a liability to the entire commute.

Go over 10km/h? Bye license for 1 to 2 years.

Go over 15km/h? Bye license for life.

Start going no tolerance on fuckers that simply do not respect traffic rules, speeding tickets are too lax in the EU, and in Switzerland as well.

If everyone would drive at the speed the locations allows you, there would be a lot less traffic, specially in highways with idiots going fast and slow as hell, forcing people in-between to brake causing traffic jams...and don't get me started on those goddamn mofos that hug the left and middle lane instead of prioritizing the right lane...

I have a 320 horse power car, this car even broke several records in a race track and is specially amazing for mountain passes, if I wanted I could go insane but I respect everyone instead.

You can put all the tech you want, that won't fix people's stupidity on the road, so the only solution is to start banning them from the road in a temporarily or permanent manner (depending on severity), only that way those idiots will learn.

Norway have some of the highest car related fines in the world, and we are also one of the ones with least fatalities.

But compared to other countries we are worse at keeping to the right lane on a motorway...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Maybe even a train tunnel between Alaska and Russia, but that might be too expensive for the benefit that nations would actually do it?

Should be beneficial. Also a canada, Greenland, Iceland and then perhaps Norway/Britain in the very long run. 

The issue is cost. Ships are too cheap for countries to actually care. And people dont want to invest in trains, because they have a bad name after years of underfunding. 

In the 1800s to the 1960s trains were the shit. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Isnt the goal to end manufacture of regular combustion vehicles by 2025?

From what I can see, 2025 is only when you'll start to see some countries and cities phasing out diesel.  I suspect EVs will be considerably more popular by then, but not so popular that you could stop all combustion vehicle production.

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

There should be made high speed train lines for both people and freight with ton of capacity compared to today, between different parts of the world, for example between Europe and Asia.

600 kph trains are a lot nicer than planes. You remove the terminal wait time and the overall traveltime isnt much worse on very long trips. Also comfort is higher.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

From what I can see, 2025 is only when you'll start to see some countries and cities phasing out diesel.  I suspect EVs will be considerably more popular by then, but not so popular that you could stop all combustion vehicle production.

I believe pure combustion will be phased out in favor of hybrid and full electric vehicles. 

Which is what i mean by 2025. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I believe pure combustion will be phased out in favor of hybrid and full electric vehicles. 

aaaaa please no. we need our gas guzzlers in this world. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But... I didn't...

What would be the point though if cars are speed limited?

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

We could save the environment if we invested in Trains. But everyone just wants electric planes regardless of how stupid it is. 

How would you cross the ocean though? build tunnels? That would take decades no?

5 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

How would you cross the ocean though? build tunnels? That would take decades no?

Tunnels and floating bridges.

And yes it would take time and investment. But in the end its worth it. Boats and plabes the way they are arent very sustainable